Home
Posted By: wabigoon Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Now days, what do puppies cost ? Rescue dogs are fine.
If you want a particular breed, what is the range?

Our first Sheltie coat $16 in 1986, our Lilly cost $800 two years ago. That works our pretty cheap per bark. laugh
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
friends just got a Welsh Corgi $3000 for the pup
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Depends upon the breeder.

My German Shepherd came from New Skete 6 years ago, they currently charge over 4k per dog.

A good pet quality dog from a reputable breeder should set you back around $1500-2k.
Posted By: las Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Shelter dog Honey Half-Lab cost me about $200 at adoption, including a $20 donation. June 2018 at 19 months. She just turned 3. Age and breed of dog will vary adoption fees by a couple hundred dollars from what I saw. She had spent her life, up to Borging me, at the end of a chain. Some assembly required..... smile. Young dogs will cost more than old dogs, which are sometimes "free", or almost so. Especially if they have medical problems.

Choko, a purebred but unregistered Dachsund is now 7 months. The person who initially spoke for him before birth wanted a long-hair.( His parents and 3 sisters are). Since he was a "reject". and a bit runty, we got him for$ 650- $100 less than his sisters went for. I happened to go on Craiglist about 10 minutes after he was posted, and 3 minutes later we had spoken for him pending inspection the next weekend. we got him at 8 weeks less 2 days. We had looked for a rescue Dachs for a year- hard to come by up here. and most places. We had a contact in Cabo who said she had them all the time - we darned near had to go back there on vacation again and bring us back a Jose.. smile

Breeds from breeders and their pedigrees will vary considerably in cost. Most pure bred Labs go for $1,000 - $1600 up here. More for really good field or hunting lines.

Any dog is likely to cost you an average of $1,000 per year in maintenence over it's lifespan. And as said above. A large piece of your heart.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
The cheapest part is buying.
Posted By: Lennie Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
A wise man told me, "The price you pay for a dog comes due when the dog goes to doggie heaven."
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
What you pay for a dog is only the beginning. Vet bills, and all the rest.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Dogs must be in short supply up there. Wife works with an organization called Paws for life. They take a van load of dogs up to Illinois/Wisconsin area several times a month. Sometimes to Nebraska or Missouri. She recently took a load of cats to Houston,Tx.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
They end up costing the most valuable thing you have when they die...YOUR HEART.

Lost one of ours last week,died off some where or the coyotes got her.

Damm dogs. cry
Posted By: Toddly Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Our Beni is 7lbs. of pure joy. The cost to weight ratio is amazing.
[Linked Image from i22.photobucket.com]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
It was so quiet after our Rowdy died. Very sad.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
My son paid $500 for a rescued fiest. Rocky is worth every penny.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Milo is a shorthair, when he isn’t on point he identifies as a lab. The retrievingest, swimmingest dog I’ve ever been around. One if the last two from a local litter. Bought basically site unseen for $300. The parvo treatment a few months later was $1500, but he was worth every penny....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
$100 for a rat terrier/Jack Russel mix in 1999.

$150 for a rat terrier in 2001

$15 for a blue heeler mutt in 2003 (best dog in the World).

$150 for a purebred blue heeler in 2005

$450 for a purebred blue heeler in 2012, only one still living.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
$2000 to $3000 for registered lines.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
i have taken in probably 15 or so senior goldens through the years. I have never looked at it in terms of money. having said that i am sure i am north of 30k in vet bills for those dogs.
i have three goldens and a lap dog in the house we share with them now.
one of the better investments i have ever made.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
$850 for a GSP pup 3 weeks ago. Wouldn't take 3x that for her now though.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Looks spoiled already. 😜
Posted By: dale06 Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Spent $3000 for a 1 yo yellow man three years ago. She turned out to be a decent pheasant dog. She lives with my brother. He has the food and vet bills.
Posted By: nash22 Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Lost both of my yellow labs 6 months ago. They were 12 years old. They were from 2 different litters 30 days different in age. The younger one only had her shots and checkups. Never had any issues. The older one, probably had close to 30 K in her over the twelve years.

Would do it all again. Sure miss my girls....
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
The best dogs I've ever had were either free from the local paper or cost very little from the shelter. Got a 2.5 year old beagle bitch for free from an old lady who was going into a nursing home. Dog took to hunting like a frog takes to water and turned out to be the best rabbit dog I've ever seen.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Never paid anything up front.

Paid plenty for maintenance however.
Posted By: ribka Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
$1600 for my whpg. no major vet bills other than annual vaccinations. Paying etc for health certs worth it

upland opener a few weeks ago

Posted By: JGray Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
We just rehomed a Springer female from a breeder who was retiring her - no charge but she just cost me some major heartache. We brought her home last Sunday evening, got her through the front door, took the leash off and she panicked and bolted back through the door before we could close it and never stopped running. Obviously scared and didn't know where home was, I wasn't real hopeful on a good outcome. She was spotted a couple times a day through the week, so she was staying close but wouldn't let anyone approach her. We finally caught her in a live trap yesterday and I've been loving on her and spoiling her since. She's on the couch next to me right now and follows me everywhere, but this past week was an absolute living hell worrying myself sick over her.
Holy cow!

Amazing you got her back.
Posted By: JGray Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
That was the short version! Had a full blown search and rescue operation going on - retired deputy sherriff reached out to us on facebook and worked it all week. He works with dog recovery groups and uses Rottweilers trained to run down dogs and hold them until he can approach with a leash. He provided a trap and also had a guy out here with a drone flying the area trying to locate her. We actually caught her in another trap a neighbor had set trying to help out. I was amazed with all the help/support we received.
Posted By: longarm Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
There's no short answer for this question. Depends entirely on what you want.
You can pick up a shelter dog for a minor investment and hope for the best. I've done it and I lucked out: no health issues, dog lived a long and full life. To be perfectly honest that particular dog made me a better human being than I would have been otherwise, and that's no shyt.
If you have otherwise catholic tastes and any breed(s) of dog will do, well then you're in luck.
If, on the other hand, you want a dog capable of executing an extraordinary duty of some kind AND still being relatively free of health concerns AND all the while being a well tempered housemate AND beautiful to behold... well now, do your research and reach for your check book, brother.
I used to think pure bred dogs with all health clearances and pedigrees to brag about were obscenely expensive. Now I think they are one of the best bargains going. The initial cost of a very well bred dog is nothing compared to what you will put into it throughout its life and nothing compared to what it will give back to you.
Posted By: hanco Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
I bought pointer pups out of top bloodlines years ago for 300 to 500 bucks. No telling what they cost now
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
My German Shorthairs averaged about $1000 each over the years. We had a couple of rescues that were $250-350. They all had their quirks, personalities, good habits and bad. Never loved any of them any more or less in accordance with what they cost, and they all gave us 100% of their love 100% of the time.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Drahthaars are running $1200-$1800. I've gotten that back many times over though.
Posted By: JPro Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
I think my 3 dogs eat around $1,900 of food a year. That's not counting shots and heartworm/flea/tick. One dog was $100, one was $50, and the other was free. Haven't had a purebred dog since I was a kid, and most of the mixes have had very few health issues.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Depends upon the breeder.

My German Shepherd came from New Skete 6 years ago, they currently charge over 4k per dog.

A good pet quality dog from a reputable breeder should set you back around $1500-2k.

They are cheaper from the Blacktop Ranch.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Milo is a shorthair, when he isn’t on point he identifies as a lab. The retrievingest, swimmingest dog I’ve ever been around. One if the last two from a local litter. Bought basically site unseen for $300. The parvo treatment a few months later was $1500, but he was worth every penny....

Beautiful dog. They also make great family pets.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Reminds me of ours.
Posted By: battue Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Friend who trains Dogs bought two Springer pups off a field trial guy in Ohio, for $600 apiece. Got them up and going and basic trained them himself on his pen Quail. One went to a preserve, which was a damned shame, and the other to a friend. $1500 for each. An outsider would have been looking at $2000 and perhaps plus.

I just hunted over the one that went to the friend. At $1500 for a Bird Dog I’m not sure he knows just what he has. In fact I’m fairly sure he doesn’t. I’ve only seen three other Dogs that had a nose better or equal, and anyone who knows Springers would take him off his hands for a profit.

Like many things, timing or who you know, often is a factor in what you pay.

Addition: Years ago, another friend got a 4 or 5 year year old English Setter field trial washout for $500. She was one of the three and a Ruffed Grouse whisperer.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
I don't believe in spending a lot of money on a dog. I've bought a few, but never paid much, and won't. I guess if I was into bird hunting, or running hounds, I'd feel different. I like dogs, and have always had one or two around, since a farm is not a farm without a good dog. But, I just see no need in spending big bucks on one, when there are free puppies to be had everywhere......and in most cases, the mixed breed free mutts make better dogs. As to having an inside pet.......not into that.

I'm also pretty tight when it comes to taking one to the vet. I'll do whatever is absolutely necessary, but won't spend anymore than I have to. My son's chocolate Lab went blind at two years old. He has spent thousands of dollars on her, treating what was a very rare viral infection. The dog has no life. She has to spend her days in a pen, being let out on occasion to run around and bump into things that she can't see. She may be a good dog, and I'm sure there is an attachment there, but if it had been mine, I'd had her put down rather than subject her to a life of darkness.
Originally Posted by JGray
That was the short version! Had a full blown search and rescue operation going on - retired deputy sherriff reached out to us on facebook and worked it all week. He works with dog recovery groups and uses Rottweilers trained to run down dogs and hold them until he can approach with a leash. He provided a trap and also had a guy out here with a drone flying the area trying to locate her. We actually caught her in another trap a neighbor had set trying to help out. I was amazed with all the help/support we received.

Thats really something.

Never heard of using a dog to catch a dog like that before.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Wow! I see all these prices and I think I should be breeding dogs instead of training them.

Right now I own my most expensive ever dog, a GSD, and he's good.

Prior to this my best ever dog-of-a-lifetime was $40

Second best, and it was a close second, was $200

Trained a dog in my class last year for Archaeological Detection, and she's excellent. She cost $25

Peoples vanity frequently makes them insist upon a pure bred, or worse yet a " Designer Dog".....
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Our first Sheltie coat $16 in 1986, our Lilly cost $800 two years ago. That works our pretty cheap per bark. laugh

I went to the same breeder I got Buster from and picked up Bandit for $1500. I wanted the same bloodline.

After Buster passed away, we had an opening... Got Bailey from some city folks that were in over their heads with her, in just a small back yard. She's a giant schnauzer, and they usually go for $2000 to $2500. But they just wanted a good home for her. I obliged.

Posted By: Raeford Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
This guy was $400[five years ago]
We will be adding a female within 5-6 weeks as a gift from my stepfather

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: bugs4 Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
take what you spend on the dog and multiply it by 10. The dog is still worth every penny
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by Lennie
A wise man told me, "The price you pay for a dog comes due when the dog goes to doggie heaven."

Indeed. That's the bill that hurts the most.
Posted By: grumpy7904 Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
My wife gets $2000 for a show quality Beauceron and $1500 for pet quality with all the health testing done.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
My last dog was a rottie. she was playing with the cats and slipped on a hardwood floor and split both of her front leg bones the full length.. the vet said she could not be fixed..I had her for 12 years she was very healthy not overweight or anything and was by my side every minute that I was with her..the only thing that hurt more than putting her down was when my wife of 56 years passed.. I said no more dogs for me..
Posted By: rost495 Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Cheap. Very cheap. For what we get out of them. Bargain of a lifetime at any cost.

Just like a wife. Best things to happen to a guy are a great wife and dogs. IMHO.
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19

About $1000 a year give or take.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Dandy Cockerpoo, Rocky Apso, Larry Brittany all free. Dad's ratter Lilli cost $90 I think. The lady breeder just loved the breed. What we spent on them beyond that I haven't a clue.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
as i have said previously, most of my goldens have been rescues. Then there is ciara, the girl princess, now about 7. I was heart broken over the death of another golden, heard about this breeder, and got to see the puppies almost right after birth. I eventually got the choice of the the two females, selecting the runt of the litter. she had all the health certificate and lineage of her parents.
ciara had a uti the first week we brought her home. I didn't really know what a urinary tract infection was. Bad allergies that continued up to her present age. at about six months she was limping, 4000 dollar plus surgery bill to repair her front elbows.
she probably runs me about 200 a month for medications and it's well spent.
the dog understands an aweful lot of english, you just have to say words and she knows what you are talking about.
light of my life, constant companion.
all my other companions have some medical issue which i deal with to keep them happy.
I had a guy one time ask me why i spent so much on dogs, rather than the same time effort and money on people. real simple, dogs treat me better.
max the 12 year old, 4k for a broken leg, and monthly cost of antiseizure medication.
molly , another rescue, monthly medications.
the 15 year old lap dog has cost about 5k. that money was set aside for her care by a prior owner who died, all went for medical bills.
ciara is a typical goldie, which you don't often see. Looks more like a spaniel, short powerful legs, light yellow coat almost white, short nose, blocky head.
people often mention owning dogs. I don't own these dogs, they own me.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19

^^^THIS^^^

Our 8 year old Lab cost $800.00 as a puppy. His running tab is up to about $6000.00 and getting ready to go up some more. I never had a dog with so many leg problems.

$800.00

Add $5000.00 for Achilles Tendon surgery last Winter. Still needs the other one done.

On Wednesday he's going in to get an injection in his elbow for arthritis. I still love him like my son though.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

^^^THIS^^^

Our 8 year old Lab cost $800.00 as a puppy. His running tab is up to about $6000.00 and getting ready to go up some more. I never had a dog with so many leg problems.

$800.00

Add $5000.00 for Achilles Tendon surgery last Winter. Still needs the other one done.

On Wednesday he's going in to get an injection in his elbow for arthritis. I still love him like my son though.

I would have spent the same amount of money on any of our three. I have 2 Parson Russell Terriers both 10 years old and a 4 year old Bull Mastiff. I have been lucky so far.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
My last beagle was free from the classifieds in a local paper. By the time she died at 15.5 years of age I had 7000.00 in vet bills invested in her. She was worth every penny.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Guess we've been lucky, only one not so minor surgery. No clue what it cost, we just paid it. Our dogs get a lifetime contract.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by Lennie

Had to go pick up our dog from being boarded at our vet this morning. There was a lit candle at the window where a person checks in. Next to the candle is a sign that asks people to be respectful, they're in the process of putting someone's pet to sleep. The sadness on their faces when they leave is heartbreaking.

The cost of a dog is irrelevant. The loyalty and companionship a dog gives is priceless.
Posted By: Gus Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
if ya want a pitbull or pit mix i know a kill shelter that has them cheap.
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Man, I miss our GSPs. Our two GSPs helped raise our kids. Would have been harder without the GSPs.

After our last one passed, we planned on getting a couple more, but the good Lord played a prank on us and now we have two second-hand dogs: a rat terrier with a bum back leg, and a what looks like a runt american bulldog, complete with bobbed tail and dewclaws removed.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19

Zofia the beagle was the last pup left in the litter (can’t understand why she wasn’t the first picked) and I brought her home 8 1/2 years ago for $200.00. Both parents were field champs and she would run a rabbit for an hour and bring it around 3 or 4 times as a 7 or 8 month old pup. Rather small beagle (25 lbs.), but she lifts off and roars when she’s chasing. Too many ticks though, she’d have three or four on her muzzle every time we were out. I put the flea and tick stuff on her, but it was a losing proposition for me crushing the brush. Unfortunately, it wasn’t worth battling the ticks, so we don’t hunt rabbits.
$75.00 or so for a checkup and shots every April. She lives outside in a run during the day and sleeps in the house every night. Thrives on Blue Buffalo Chicken and Brown Rice recipe with a little taste of people food mixed in. She’s a very happy dog.
My neighbor once told me that, “she’s leading an upper middle class life”.
Great companion.
Posted By: bakerloo Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
A performance Lab with a field trial champion as the stud will start at $1500 and go up from there. It will have all of the health certs done.
Buying is the cheapest part of owning an animal.
Posted By: frank500 Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Our standard schnauzer cost something over a thousand. He’s an awesome buddy for us and I don’t care what he costs us.
Unclipped, neutered unfortunately but only one testicle dropped so ...... he’s a hairy beast with our hearts in him. The Viking Fire princess is completely in love and spoils the heck out of him. 45 pounds of fun. Maybe we’ll try some chukars this winter, he sure has interest in hunting
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
I paid $600 for my Lab at 8 weeks old. He was bred by a couple who had a nice pair of Labs and decided to breed a litter. The young man gave me all the necessary papers to get him AKC registered and when his papers came back it showed that he had a very good linage of field Labs on both sides.

I keep him lean and work him out regularly. He stays at 75 pounds.

He's closing in on 3 years old and is calming down a bit. He has an excellent disposition.
Posted By: champlain_islander Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/21/19
Paid 75 bucks for my newest dog which is a beautiful brindle colored American Shelter Dog puppy. Smart as hell and a real nice dog. She is 10 months old now and about 50 pounds. She looks a lot like a Plotty.
Posted By: Speedgoat3006 Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/22/19
Are we including chewed furniture, destroyed shoes, shirts and socks and lost sleep? Minus those costs, we spent $1000 on our new Chessie pup in August. He’s pretty active and perhaps a little less biddable than our last Chessie, but I think he’ll shape up fine. He mercilessly teases the cat so there is that entertainment to help offset the cost....plus he frustrates my wife and so directs her ire at a target other than me. I’d say I got a bargain! Now if I can only get him to retrieve......
Posted By: mogwai Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/22/19
working Airedales are $300-500 depending on whether the breeder trusts you.
Posted By: WhiteTail48 Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/22/19
Hard to put a price on man’s best friend and all the unconditional love.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Beautiful dog. They also make great family pets.

My thoughts exactly

Rates a Two-Cool for sure.

cool cool
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by ribka
$1600 for my whpg. no major vet bills other than annual vaccinations. Paying etc for health certs worth it

Fuzzy faces and rubber noses RULE! ($1,200 Rosie whpg)

Posted By: gremcat Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/22/19
Want a GSP in the worst way. I’d have to buy one trained as I’ve no experience training bird dogs. Neighbors Dad got a GSP from a yard sale. Was a gift to her late husband from a Federal Exec. With the owner passing it didn’t get hunted. My Neighbor said it was the best hunting dog any of them have been around. We’ve got a Chocolate / Aus Shepard mix that’s my baby and a WH Dachshund rescue that’s sharp as a tack. We had a black lab mutt that was my a wife’s Family dog. She passed at 17 or 18 and that was a very hard time for all of us. She was 10 when I met her and we bonded immediately. She’s the only one that slept in bed with us.
Posted By: Texczech Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/22/19

Ribka
What breed is that? I dont know what whpg stands for.
Beautiful dog no matter what breed.
Posted By: Texczech Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/22/19

After Buster passed away, we had an opening... Got Bailey from some city folks that were in over their heads with her, in just a small back yard. She's a giant schnauzer, and they usually go for $2000 to $2500. But they just wanted a good home for her. I obliged.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quote]
Barry
About what does Bailey weight and how tall?
Never heard of the giant breed before.

What size is Bandit?
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by Mike_S
The cheapest part is buying.

This.

You gonna have a high octane working dog, who cares what the pup costs. That will be a drop in the bucket come 1 year in.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/22/19
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/22/19
The upbeat dog threads are the best of the 'fire.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by gremcat
Want a GSP in the worst way. I’d have to buy one trained as I’ve no experience training bird dogs. Neighbors Dad got a GSP from a yard sale. Was a gift to her late husband from a Federal Exec. With the owner passing it didn’t get hunted. My Neighbor said it was the best hunting dog any of them have been around. We’ve got a Chocolate / Aus Shepard mix that’s my baby and a WH Dachshund rescue that’s sharp as a tack. We had a black lab mutt that was my a wife’s Family dog. She passed at 17 or 18 and that was a very hard time for all of us. She was 10 when I met her and we bonded immediately. She’s the only one that slept in bed with us.

I started training English Pointers in the 6th grade and a small paperback on training pointers.

You can do it too now with You Tube if you wish. I have had pointers and gsps as good as they get. If they have good genetics you can hardly fail. I was offered several thousand for my first female pointer when I was in the 10th grade. $3000 was a lot of money in 1965. I passed on it.

I haven't dealt with English Pointers in 30 years and dont know if the nature to make great pets has been bred out or not.

All the GSPs have been great house pets and great with kids. They essentially learn to hunt and point if you just take them and let them get used to going from the time they are big puppies.

I dont shoot near them until they have grown to love running and hunting. They essentially learn to point after a while on their own.

Let a big pup get busy and out from you and fire away from it the first time. If it is concerned just go on as if nothing happened out of the ordinary. It will que off your actions, as it learns to do as you want it to and it will become an extension of you if you raise and train it yourself.

Nowadays electric collars can save a lot of misery by keeping a dog from running a half mile after a Jack or deer. Teach them early that barbed wire and cattle guards are dangerous as are horses and cows. Both can kill with a kick if a dog comes up behind it. They also are great to keep a dog from chasing javelins and porky's and skunks.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by Texczech

Barry
About what does Bailey weight and how tall?
Never heard of the giant breed before.

What size is Bandit?

Bailey stands about 30" tall and weighs 65 pounds. She is kind of small for her breed.

Bandit is a standard schnauzer, and is very large for his breed, at 75 pounds and just a couple inches shorter than Bailey. He's stocky.

Posted By: luv2safari Re: Cost of Dogs? - 10/23/19
Originally Posted by Texczech

Ribka
What breed is that? I dont know what whpg stands for.
Beautiful dog no matter what breed.

Wire Haired Pointing Griffon...

My dad brought some of the first ones west of the Mississippi in 1947. They're great versatile dogs.
© 24hourcampfire