Home
Or is the principle involved enough to justify standing your ground?

Florida again.
at the rate of change that is occurring, it won't hurt a thing to keep on pressing forward. trying to understand, trying to adapt. working, paying taxes, etc.
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack
Florida again.

So, you vote that the principle wasn't worth defending here? Just let the brothas and sistas take your stuff?
Well, let's take a look at the story. Dude out jogging, sees this cart in a "trash pile' and grabs it. So where is this trash pile and what is the result of? We don't know. Could be that man and women got evicted and their stuff thrown to the street or something of that sort. Dude comes by, sees the stuff strewn everywhere, grabs the cart and takes it home. Samurai Man comes to get "his" cart back. Soul Sista does take it back

Not sure what the story is, but on a serious note, I don't see a scenario that a "found cart in a trash pile" is worth whipping out the CCW and blasting Samurai Man at the beginning of the this confrontation. Let him have the stupid thing.

OTHO, let's say that the dude was in his garage with the door open. The cart was his, bought and paid for. Samurai Man comes up and starts his Bruce Lee crap with the sword. Bye, bye Samurai Man! Don't come into my garage slinging a sword trying to get my stuff. You could make the argument that it is still not worth blowing Samurai Dude away for a $40 cart, and I agree, but if he's trying to slash me up........boom!
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Florida again.

So, you vote that the principle wasn't worth defending here? Just let the brothas and sistas take your stuff?

No. Would have never let someone with that weapon get that close to me. And 'black' wouldn't affect my actions .
Florida again.

vel, jeez the hawkeye, if'n ya hadn't been white, with well off parents, and an ability to afford an education, then how'd you obtain your stuff?

ya know?

i was borne really white, but with parents that were dirt poor. but johnson drafted me, and gave me a chance to succeed.

if the brothas and sistas of which you speak have been denied the draft, then they're being discriminated against.

they're being forced to live with nothing but food stamps that were developed to subsidize der farmers.

what we've got here is a lack of education, and mostly a lack of understanding of the conditions.

at least Norinco is no longer allowed to import serious weaponry into the usa. it's domestic now.
Originally Posted by hatari
Well, let's take a look at the story. Dude out jogging, sees this cart in a "trash pile' and grabs it. So where is this trash pile and what is the result of? We don't know. Could be that man and women got evicted and their stuff thrown to the street or something of that sort. Dude comes by, sees the stuff strewn everywhere, grabs the cart and takes it home. Samurai Man comes to get "his" cart back. Soul Sista does take it back

Not sure what the story is, but on a serious note, I don't see a scenario that a "found cart in a trash pile" is worth whipping out the CCW and blasting Samurai Man at the beginning of the this confrontation. Let him have the stupid thing.

OTHO, let's say that the dude was in his garage with the door open. The cart was his, bought and paid for. Samurai Man comes up and starts his Bruce Lee crap with the sword. Bye, bye Samurai Man! Don't come into my garage slinging a sword trying to get my stuff. You could make the argument that it is still not worth blowing Samurai Dude away for a $40 cart, and I agree, but if he's trying to slash me up........boom!

Agreed, TRH assigns principles in lieu of common sense. That chubby kid makes a living from you tube viewers That know even less than he.

mike r
I guess my eyes are failing me. Those two looked black to me. Or is it that we're not supposed to notice?

Yep
From the narrator, the black dude believed that, because he was rummaging through the pile a few minutes earlier, and was apparently on his way back to collect it, he had first right to it. I hear nothing there to make me believe it was his property that was placed on the curb by his former landlord. You're just trying to muddy the waters.
Florida again.

I worked for a utility contractor in greater LA California region who had a policy that if one of the fellas comes up to your pickup truck and decides he wants a few of your power tools or other equipment, you are to do nothing to stop him.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Florida again.

I worked for a utility contractor in greater LA California region who had a policy that if one of the fellas comes up to your pickup truck and decides he wants a few of your power tools or other equipment, you are to do nothing to stop him.

Great policy. It's a free for all.

Well thought out post.
All I know is,..that bruthah wasn't really trying to hack that guy and it seemed like the guy knew it.

It was like,...."Oh hell,....here comes Cleon with his damn machete again,....SHOO!"
That's a pretty sweet cart.

But it aint worth getting ya wig split for it.
Cart guy should've grabbed the worta hose. That usually works on those types.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
From the narrator, the black dude believed that, because he was rummaging through the pile a few minutes earlier, and was apparently on his way back to collect it, he had first right to it. I hear nothing there to make me believe it was his property that was placed on the curb by his former landlord. You're just trying to muddy the waters.

We still don't lnow the complete story on this trash pile deal.

Lawyers are expensive. Ice Samurai man over a trash pile push cart in a town with an aggressive DA and soap on a rope might be #1 on your Santa Claus list for the next 15-20 years. Especially if the late Samurai Man gets a jury of "his" peers to sit on your trial.

You want to put a cap in his ass "on principle", go ahead. I say it's not worth the dudes life and losing a $40 cart I found in a trash pile sure as s h!t ain't worth 20 years in the klink for me. No way with that video could you get off on "stand your ground". Samurai Man obviously wasn't out for blood. Shoot him and the DA won't need to work hard on a conviction. Johnny Cochran ain't around anymore to get you off.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Cart guy should've grabbed the worta hose. That usually works on those types.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Florida again.

I wish I lived closer. I could use a Sawzall.
And Leftist wonder why we would EVER need a Weapon. Just think how bad things will get if there ever is a SHTF situation.
In Michigan there is NO PRECEDENCE for defense of property. We were so explained by a judge when i sat on a jury for an assault case. Dude beat the $hit out of someone who scratched his car in an altercation. Defense was trying to say he was defending his property. You can only use a gun, sword, fists in defense of yourself or your family from bodily injury. Florida is different but thats how it is in Michigan
Originally Posted by k20350
In Michigan there is NO PRECEDENCE for defense of property. We were so explained by a judge when i sat on a jury for an assault case. Dude beat the $hit out of someone who scratched his car in an altercation. Defense was trying to say he was defending his property. You can only use a gun, sword, fists in defense of yourself or your family from bodily injury. Florida is different but thats how it is in Michigan

Well, it became a legitimate defense of self situation as soon as he approached with a sword. Now the question is, do you just say, "Okay, it's not worth it ... just take my stuff and leave me alone," or do you stand your ground with your stuff, and defend yourself against the attacks meant to drive you away from your stuff so they can be taken by the attacker?

Fer Chrissakes guys, this ain’t that hard.

Here’s how you defend against burglars with katanas:

You’re welcome.

FC
I didn’t read the replies so I apologize if I’m being redundant but to answer the question about killing someone because they’re stealing. NO!

No. I’m not going to shoot or kill someone that is stealing unless they pose an immediate danger to me or my loved ones. I’m not taking a life because someone is taking my stereo. I’m fully prepared to defend my life and those around me but that’s in self-defense, I’m not defending stuff because stuff can be replaced, but some dumb 16 year old kid that did something stupid one night and wanted my stereo is not worth my eternal conscience. There ain’t no “principle” involved. You don’t get to kill someone based on “principle” nor do you get to kill someone because of your own insecurities as witnessed with the pushing in the parking lot over a handicap spot shooting. I think it’s easy for those that haven’t been around death much to think of life more cheaply. I’ve been around more than my fair share of death as a firefighter and I think that over the years and I’ve grown to appreciate life more and through that lens I see life as more valuable and worth trying to save.

I pray that I can meet my maker someday having only helped save lives rather than taking any but if I do have to take a life I damn sure will be justified, justified beyond just “the principle of it”.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I didn’t read the replies so I apologize if I’m being redundant but to answer the question about killing someone because they’re stealing. NO!

No. I’m not going to shoot or kill someone that is stealing unless they pose an immediate danger to me or my loved ones. I’m not taking a life because someone is taking my stereo. I’m fully prepared to defend my life and those around me but that’s in self-defense, I’m not defending stuff because stuff can be replaced, but some dumb 16 year old kid that did something stupid one night and wanted my stereo is not worth my eternal conscience. There ain’t no “principle” involved. You don’t get to kill someone based on “principle” nor do you get to kill someone because of your own insecurities as witnessed with the pushing in the parking lot over a handicap spot shooting. I think it’s easy for those that haven’t been around death much to think of life more cheaply. I’ve been around more than my fair share of death as a firefighter and I think that over the years and I’ve grown to appreciate life more and through that lens I see life as more valuable and worth trying to save.

I pray that I can meet my maker someday having only helped save lives rather than taking any but if I do have to take a life I damn sure will be justified, justified beyond just “the principle of it”.

Outside, I can see your point, but if they invade my home, it is a different matter. If somebody is desperate enough to break into my house when I'm home, or my girls are home, things will get serious fast.
When you steal a person's property, you've stolen the part of their life that it took to earn the money to purchase that property.

I got no problem with shootin somebody that keeps tryin ta steal when there's a person standin right there tellin em ta stop.
They need killing, but I don't need the drama. Let another like him handle that. They do it every day.
Ain’t worth the grief!!
I put things out that I want stolen so I can buy a new one. I drove around with a Jiffy ice auger in the back of my pickup for 4 months hoping someone would steal it. Sadly, I still have it and it digs like a mad badger just so heavy.

You have to wonder if the homeowner left the stuff out just to enjoy the bumfights.
I guess I am just a rebel. When you kick my door in. I won't be asking what your intentions are.
Biblical justice says eye for an eye tooth for a tooth. The context of that rule was a society similar to what we see among the Islamofacists; dishonor my sister and we’ll kill your whole clan.

In this case the higher law would suggest that you not draw blood over a cart.

I am fine allowing someone to take off with my property and have to deal with it later in a court of law rather than the question of a killing. Not only legally, but morally I’d have a difficult time with that.

An eye for an eye; a cart for a cart?
Even in a good shoot, I shoot someone and I gotta retain a lawyer, likely move, likely quit my job and take another somewhere else. All my property worth insuring is insured.

Moot point so far tho as I cant recall the last time I had anything stolen (knock on wood).

It'd have to be "in the Gravest Extreme" (as Ayoob put it) before I'd willingly resort to deadly force.
Florida again.

I hope they didn't publicize that.
Even the narrator, who is super conservative about saying that anything is a good shoot, stated that had the guy had a handgun and used it, it would have definitely been a good shoot.
I ain’t saying that someone who will come onto my property and steal my schit doesn’t deserve to be shot on general principle, I’m saying that I’m too smart to be the one to do it. Hell, the trip down to the police station ain’t worth it, much less sweating out the grand jury, the publicity, the fear of retribution from family and friends of the deceased, and the feelings of guilt for killing someone. Nope, the juice ain’t worth the squeeze.

As for this case, I’m not sure who the thief is. Even if you took it out of a trash pile, it ain’t yours.
Imagine if your life was at the point where you would go after someone with a sword over a garden cart. I couldn't shoot someone who was in that position, I'd want to talk and see if I could help. That's a bad place to be.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
,the fear of retribution from family

Which most commonly is a wrongful death civil suit that will cost ya a mint to defend yourself even if you win.

Came home in the middle of my home being robbed one time, punk 20 year old kid blowing outta the house with part of my stereo system. Could of ended his life right there and again after I chased him down. Just held him for the police to deal with instead, never regretted it. It's just stuff....One can always buy more stuff.
I can't say I've ever seen a Gas Station Katana before.

Not that I'm actually looking for em. Looking for the restroom instead.

This would be a good spot for Daemon Dave's Judy chop video.

Well, it became a legitimate defense of self situation as soon as he approached with a sword. Now the question is, do you just say,
"Okay, it's not worth it ... just take my stuff and leave me alone,"
or do you stand your ground with your stuff, and defend yourself against the attacks meant to drive you away from your stuff...

it seems its open to dispute who's legal property that cart is.

did LE arrest him for attempting to steal the cart , or for his sword attack?

to a jury it would depend when you did shoot....when he was coming at you with the second swing
or you hesitated and did it when he began to withdraw/step back..

I don't see any justification to attack someone with sword, cart or no cart in dispute,
what matters is whether or not the person attacked is facing serious imminent threat.

Florida. "Justifiable use of Force"  

776.012. Use or threatened use of force in defense of person.—

(2) A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening
to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent
the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this
subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening
to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be.

The cops wouldve shot the fugger just for waving a butter knife.

Just sayin
© 24hourcampfire