Home
Posted By: wabigoon Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
What they called you. I'm not going to tell mine, I know this place to well!

Anyone bold enough to let it out for all to know?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Nothing serious.

JimBob mostly. Sometimes REA man.

Connie or Hoss.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Unwanted. They would always forget my name or forget to pick me up after school. I got pretty good at finding my way home.

I always enjoy that joke of,"I keep child proofing my house but they still get back in."
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Supertaco

I won a jack in the box supertaco eating contest in the 6th grade.

Truck and refrigerator.

Come on Richard, butch up and spill the beans. grin

And Little Phil, family nickname. Until I passed my Dad in height in the 7th grade
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
I always wanted a nickname. Mostly I just got called names.

*Not much has changed.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Andy!
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
FishinHank
Posted By: mudhen Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Butch. Hated it. Finally ditched it when we moved to another school district the summer before 6th grade. Took a while for my extended family to come on board... eek
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Before i went to first grade they called Sunny.

When i got home i flat told them that was not my name.

From then on they called me by my birth name.

Grand-ma/pa got some slack and still called me by their pet name.

No i won't say what that was. grin
Posted By: ironbender Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
I was a chubby little lad at 2 to 5 or so. An uncle nicked me "fatso Fogarty". No idea where that came from.

By the time I was 10, an aunt was calling me "snake hips" as i had really leaned out.

Now working my way back!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
OK, the first one that calls me, gets, something bad. laugh "Dickie".
Buster or Jr.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
AbbyNormal!

And it was not deserved!
Posted By: Anaconda Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Mt legal first name is Daniel.
I have always been called Dan
I am of mostly Irish decent.
As a child, adult men could not resist singing the Irish song "Danny Boy" around me, and called me Danny boy..
I hated it, and to this day, I still hate that song.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Extended family called me Crockett like in Davy Crockett.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
This wasn't when I was a kid but.... i found 25 purple t shirts for 50 cents each at Big Lots. My friend called my Hey Koolaid, like the old koolaid commercial because I was purple every day. We got a new manager at work and dude paged me as Koolaid to the wrapper, Koolaid to the wrapper. We friggin died laughing. I told him you are never living that down. My fried still calls me Koolaid sometimes.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
vince.
Posted By: las Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Skag. A perversion of Schweig - the first syllable of my German name. Never bothered me, as one my classmates was nicknamed Fathead - by his Dad. The only reason we knew his real name was from the classroom. Bernard - almost as bad.... we graduated in '66- at an All-Class reunion a year or two ago, I never heard him called Bernard.... smile

My younger fraternal twin brothers were known as "Twin".. both of them. They looked nothing alike, but seemingly no one could keep them straight anywho.

I don't remember the bad ones some of my classmates had. Well - one; Clit-lips. Or Clit. (I have no idea who named him that- or even who among us at that age knew what one looked like - but years later when we did- it fit). I suspect a High-schooler....

In polite company (adults) it was Clip. I think no one ever narced to the enemy. If anyone ever slipped, it was probably overlooked as a mis-hearing.

We all hoped.
We ran with some fun guys.

Pickle, Beef, Fancy, Fozzy, Worm, Tits, Elephant Balls......
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
I was 5'6" and weighed 140 when I graduated.... nickname 'Big R'. Everyone called me that, except for Mr. Pete, he called me 'Doe Killer'..
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Lady Jane by my Mother and Brat by my Father.

My two brothers were afraid of me so no nicknames from them.

Lynn
Posted By: Remsen Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
I was a fat kid with a big head of unruly hair (think a darker skinned Chunk from the Goonies) and a really bad temper. My dad started calling me "Bear" and to this day, that's still what he calls me.
Posted By: DMc Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
When I was a kid, some friends of mine heard my parents saying "DaddyMac" which was my grandfather's name however the kids thought my parents were referring to me. So all through middle and high school, I was DaddyMac.

Later in life I became 'Papa' when my first grandchildren were born. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

DMc
Posted By: slumlord Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Worked with this one character at the Shît Plant, fella was some sort of real wise ass, he was a DJ on the side.

Every fuggin new guy that started there, this dude would name them some damn chit. It was like on Animal House. lol

So I was "slick-rick" whatever. Suppose I got off easy on that deal.

Anyway, this new janitor started and poor dude had a cleft lip, and teeth stuck out of that cleft. Dude named him "Sharkey".
It was so fugged up and spot on, every time I seen that janitor I had to shut my door or go out to my work jeep. Bout shît myself laffing
Lord I apologize. i lmao now.

The guy that named him, he had to go see the general manager and they made him take some all day class. Hahaha

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Johnny--oh so original for a guy named John.

However, I know another gun writer (and good friend) is named in Richard Mann. His father was also named Richard Mann, and when his father was alive (he passed away a a few years ago) hey were known as Big Dick and Little Dick..
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
One of the longest lasting nicknames was given to a fellow I graduated with. His last name isn't important, but his first and middle names were Daniel Lee. Of course we called him Danny, until about the 5th or 6th grade. Then he became Danny Lee.... which morphed into Danny Pee..... which changed to Danny Pee in the Bucket.... and then was shortened to just Bucket. When we graduated, we still called him Bucket, and so did a teacher or two. Sadly, Bucket died in a car wreck a few years after we graduated. He was a great guy.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
"Sharky"

LMAO
Posted By: Higginez Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Meat.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Being named Charles (Charlie) I got my fill of "Charlie The Tuna" and "Sorry Charlie" but I was named after my grandfather who went by "Charlie" so I ignore the Tuna jokes and go by Charlie too......(Charles sounds to formal to me).

That's not to say that "Sorry Charlie" isn't still funny.
Went to school with a kid who called his mother "Walt".

His whole family did. Dont know what that poor woman did to deserve it.

In college there was a kid we called "Rade".

His real name was Wade. He had a thing for Asian chicks. Real bad.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

However, I know another gun writer (and good friend) is named in Richard Mann. His father was also named Richard Mann, and when his father was alive (he passed away a a few years ago) hey were known as Big Dick and Little Dick..

Heck of a way to be introduced to the ladies... Meet my friend, Little Dick.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
i gave one of the young guys who works for me the nickname peon, he don't care for it.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19

Little chit, Boug, Skunk.GW
Posted By: Benben Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
I knew Half-Man (short dude); Boy (didn't even rate as a half-man); Gouda (feet reeked); Slinger (once shyt his pants at a high school,party, reached in and slung it against the wall!); Nash (from Nashville; nobody used his real name); Boner (his name in Spanish class was Estabon; morphed into Estabone; then just Boner).
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Chumley, NOT from the Pawn Stars show, but from Tennessee Tuxedo. In my early 20's, I was pushing 400 lbs, myself and a 6'2", 150 pound co-worker were in another coworker's wedding. Got called Tennessee and Chumley all day, mine stuck. I've actually had checks written to my first name with Chumley as my last name. Small town bank ladies take them, no problem.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
We had a kid who made fun of the milk cartons at school so we called him Homo. He was still called Homo in college, last time I saw him 25 years ago.
There were so many named Bill in my school that every one of us had a nickname,I couldn't t get wild bill or crazy bill or big bill,no I was sweaty bill.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
youngest brother's first real words where, "Hey Yogi."....he liked BooBoo Bear we guessed....

Dad started calling him BooBoo....

My brother is 60 years old now and is a Computer Analyst for the CDC in Atlanta...

the few aunts and Uncles we still have alive, and pretty much all of our cousins, to this day refer to Robert as "BooBoo"...

no one means no insults... but I'm glad it wasn't given to me..

I wasn't given any nicknames growing up...

Had a couple in college, either on playing campus athletics... Swede which I never figured that one out..and

another based on where I was from...being from Virginia and going to college in Boston.. and of course with my heavy accent in those day, got called Reb and that name stuck for 5 years of college...

twisted an ankle and knee real bad and had to walk with a cane for 6 months in my Junior year....the guys in the dorm started calling me Senator...luckily that nickname went away not long after the cane went away...
A whole bunch of cruel bastids out there...
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
I got a son named Thunderbear. I think it’s awesome but I’m sure he’s gonna hate it. His middle name is Thorbjorn, which is a family name, translates literally to Thunderbear. He’s only three, but wife and I plus both sets of parents and several friends call him that. Bound to stick.
Originally Posted by superlight17b
There were so many named Bill in my school that every one of us had a nickname,I couldn't t get wild bill or crazy bill or big bill,no I was sweaty bill.

I guess I was lucky- In my first grade class of 13, 5 of us were named Larry. Not one Lawrence! No one at that point had a nickname, so the teacher used first and middle names. One poor bastard didn't have a middle name. We all felt sorry for him.

I'm not telling my middle name- it ain't pretty.

But it does roll smoothly off the tongue with the first name..

Oh, good Lord! I just outed myself....
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon
OK, the first one that calls me, gets, something bad. laugh "Dickie".

So? Have a cousin named Dickey. First name Richard. Became a state trooper and did a lot of investigating. You see where this is going, right?

For me it was "Otis." Remember The Andy Griffith Show? We all had nicknames like that. One fat, squat guy who could've been the prototype for Cartman had the lovely appellation "Buns-o."

Runt before I started grade school. Grew out of it.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
They called me Sue.........
Day I was born, Dad went to buy a pack of Marlboro reds from cigarette vending machine, pack of Winstons came out instead. I was called Winston by family entire childhood. Nothing by friends but my name.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
I was Tater,as in southern for potato.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Originally Posted by slumlord
Worked with this one character at the Shît Plant, fella was some sort of real wise ass, he was a DJ on the side.

Every fuggin new guy that started there, this dude would name them some damn chit. It was like on Animal House. lol

So I was "slick-rick" whatever. Suppose I got off easy on that deal.

Anyway, this new janitor started and poor dude had a cleft lip, and teeth stuck out of that cleft. Dude named him "Sharkey".
It was so fugged up and spot on, every time I seen that janitor I had to shut my door or go out to my work jeep. Bout shît myself laffing
Lord I apologize. i lmao now.

The guy that named him, he had to go see the general manager and they made him take some all day class. Hahaha

Sharkey...
LMFAO!!!!

If only the Paul Harvey "Rest of the story" could be told.
Hours of material for a stand up comic!!!
Hahahaha!!!

High school mine was
Zeldroid or zeldridge cause i smoked alot of herb

Friends nicknames:

Jiva/ kuunta kentey = kenny , big lips like a groid, hahaha!!!
Loucette= louie, combo 1st and last name
DJ/ plant life = duh johnnny
Myrat= myron, and he trapped muskrats
Greasy = barry, cause he was always scheming schitt
Antman= jim, small dude.
Lebeau= keith , looked like lebeau on hogans hero,s
Bubba = mark, chubby heavyset dude
Imba= Tim, short for imbecil, fell in a bed of hot coals at a kegger.
Joe= Tony, played QB in high school/ joe namath.

Had ta have some thick skin around that crowd.

Good times in the late 70,s and early 80,s
LOL!!!!

Posted By: kkahmann Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
I live next to an Indian reserve— lots of nicknames and aliases.
I know one guy named Smiley—his paycheck from the paper mill had that listed as his first name— I bought a truck from him and wrote out the check with his proper first name—I was one of the few people who knew it—he had some trouble cashing it.
Hardest working commercial fisherman I know is called Laze —short for Lazyman—very few know his given name.
If you mention Marty or Baby Len or Sneakums or Leonard everybody knows you’re talking about the same guy.
Got 3 Bobs here— Black Bob, Long Bob and Blackie— nobody ever gets them confused.
Got one guy referred to as the Gorilla— but nobody calls him that to his face.
I’m referred to as the white guy but I’m sure there are others I haven’t heard
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
I always know a msg from family. As they all still call me Bobby. Even cousins much younger tham me!
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Originally Posted by 12344mag

(Sweet Sue)no doubt!!!!!
Posted By: hanco Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Middle name is Eric. Been called Ric forever

Grandkids kids call me Old Dude a good bit
Posted By: sactoller Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
J-bird or Birdie...don't mind either one.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Grubby or Grubbo. My last name is Grubb.
As long as they don’t call you late for supper!!!
Neighborhood kids called my Veejay.

Shortened version of Virgil
Posted By: shaman Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Back when I was a freshman in high school, the PE teacher stuck me with the nickname, Big Bird. I was 6'3" and 165 and I wasn't very athletic. I was strong, from working construction with my father, but not very coordinated. I can kind of see what he was getting at. Anyhow, it stuck. At least for a time.

There were some serious hoods in the school that were running a protection scheme. I ran afoul of them and had to start ducking them. One day six of them cornered me in the John and I knew I was going to get a serious beating, so I picked the smallest one and started to wail on him. I had him by the neck up off the ground with my left and pummeling him with my right. I guess I got a little carried away, because the kid was not conscious when I threw him back into the crowd. I had blood all over my clothes, but it was his. The larger guys saw this and decided I wasn't worth touching.

About a week later, the kid I'd knocked around came out of the hospital and showed up at gym class with a face that looked like pizza gone bad. Right away the other kids wanted to show Mister Marlowe what Big Bird had done.

Mister Marlowe (I was head taller than him) called me out of line.

"Big Bird! Did you do that?"

"Did Big Bird do that to you?"

"Big Bird! Why did you do that?"

Somebody from the line called out, "He probably called him Big Bird!"

I just glowered at Mister Marlowe. He realized he might be getting himself into trouble.

"You probably don't like being called Big Bird do you?"

I just kept staring at him.

"You're probably thinking how you'd like to do the same to me, aren't you?"

I didn't answer.

That was my last fight. No one ever called me Big Bird after that. Eventually, the assistant principal got wind of the protection racket and several guys suddenly disappeared and wound up in the Navy and the Marines. I caught hell from my folks for fighting, but my Dad later said I'd done things just about right.
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I went to high school with a kid named Richard head. You can probably guess his nickname and it was always saId with the last name
Posted By: jnyork Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
I was a chubby guy named York, thus, "Porky" from first grade until the end of high school.
Posted By: tzone Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Tripod
Posted By: mathman Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Originally Posted by tzone
Tripod

You caused me to remember my first trip to Germany. In Munich there is a huge park with several large beer gardens. The brochure for the locale mentions that in one part of the park is a nudist zone. A particular fellow was mentioned as one of the sights, nicknamed Tripod, a/k/a The Hammer.
Middle child has been called Sister since she was born. I have to stop to think of her given name sometimes.
Posted By: old70 Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
A kid that smiled all the time was ‘boomerang mouth’, we had Gassy Gord for obvious reasons, and I was ‘ski’ Polish heritage but didn’t have a ski in the name, so they gave me one. Military buddy had the last name of Ferries, his call sign was ‘tinker belle’ no, he didn’t like it. My dad had a friend who had polio when he was young and had a messed up leg. His bowling team nickname was ‘old step and a half’, and the plus sized janitor who wore his uniform to bowling was ‘the blue Buddha’

Had tons of friends with nicknames in the army, some quite funny.

Old70
Posted By: benchman Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
"T". It's all I can spell...
Originally Posted by Whelenman

(Sweet Sue)no doubt!!!!!

HOW DO YOU DO!!
Posted By: Batchief909 Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Weed....
Posted By: Judman Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Granddaddy used to call me jughead...😂
Posted By: agazain Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
If I'd known what my names mean, it would have been fun! First name derives from Gaelic term for marksman/spearman. Last name is German for "nail, peg or (if ya push me) stud."
Nicknames took no brains to cook up. People at work would get cute and I'd just say, "Fourth grade, dude. Try harder!"
Posted By: DMc Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
First girlfriend that I went steady with in 2nd grade: Nikki Blich.

Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
When I was born my aunt wanted to name me something other than what my parents wanted, so she said, if he isn't going to be named whatever she wanted me to she would call me Pedro (from a character in a movie she had just seen). It stuck all through my childhood for family and friends. It was eventually shortened and now I am Pete to everyone in the family.
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Stretch. Never made any sense and I hated it. One uncle still uses it and I won't respond.
I was probably around ten years old and, for some reason, asked for a box to hold file cards as a Christmas gift. Us kids chipped in and bought dad an engraver for marking his tools. He decided to try out his gift by writing "stretch" on my new card box. I immediately ripped the lid off, ran to the kitchen and threw it in the trash. Then he beat my arse for overreacting. Pretty much summed up our relationship.
My brothers called me Professor after my hero on Gilligan's Island. They stopped when they realized that I liked it.

Friends:
Carp (him and his buddy had to be the inspiration for Beavis and Butthead)
Tater
Boner
Moberry
Buttracer
Skits
Poo-Poo
Gitch
Fishlips
HeeHaw

Still have an Aunt Fleabag to this day.
Posted By: Savageguy Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
I was known as Fuzzy
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Me and my four brothers were called:

Lur Lur (my late oldest brother)
River (me)
Critty Crud
Daydee
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
Originally Posted by kenoh2
Stretch. Never made any sense and I hated it. One uncle still uses it and I won't respond.
I was probably around ten years old and, for some reason, asked for a box to hold file cards as a Christmas gift. Us kids chipped in and bought dad an engraver for marking his tools. He decided to try out his gift by writing "stretch" on my new card box. I immediately ripped the lid off, ran to the kitchen and threw it in the trash. Then he beat my arse for overreacting. Pretty much summed up our relationship.
My brothers called me Professor after my hero on Gilligan's Island. They stopped when they realized that I liked it.

Friends:
Carp (him and his buddy had to be the inspiration for Beavis and Butthead)
Tater
Boner
Moberry
Buttracer
Skits
Poo-Poo
Gitch
Fishlips
HeeHaw

Still have an Aunt Fleabag to this day.

Aunt Fleabag...
LMFAO!!!!
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/13/19
One uncle called me Roho. Took years to figure out it was really rojo for my red hair. Don't have any hair now lol

Guy in high school called me bubba because he said my lower lip stuck out like the black guy from Forrest Gump. I laughed along and kept that one a while.

No good nicknames. Dad once said I was big enough to hunt bear with a switch. Kinda wish that would have stuck lol

Who's that? Switch. Lol
Dad called me Popi for awhile when I was younger.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/14/19
Andy!

My last name is Andersen
Posted By: hanco Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/14/19
Wifey has gone by blondie all her life.
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/14/19
Boy and dumbass. Pretty much all of us brothers had the same nickname.

Along with a lot of other things!!!!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/14/19

Along with a lot of other things!!!!

Until I was about 13 i thought bmy name was WTF is wrong with you.............
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/14/19
Look at that, I'm typing like Denny now.
Look at that, I'm typing like Denny now.

It’s contagious !!!
Posted By: poboy Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/14/19
My buddy's son and his bunch call the one on crutches (one leg) - "Tri-pod".
Posted By: nash22 Re: Nicknames as a Child? - 11/15/19
Was raised on a reservation, my dad and I both had curly blonde hair. The natives called my dad Custer and I was little Cus.

Made it thru without wearing an Arrow shirt. 😁😁
© 24hourcampfire