Home
Posted By: Lockhart Ronsonol? - 11/21/19
I hesitate to put this out on this particular forum but don’t know where it fits. I grabbed a new bottle of Ronsonol lighter fluid and it smells like perfume. Is there another brand available that just burns without a stink?
Posted By: SDWhirlwind Re: Ronsonol? - 11/21/19
That's the only brand I have ever seen for sale around here. I mean in the last 30yrs or more. Heck, to us gun guys isn't it supposed to be 'perfume'? lol
Posted By: Morewood Re: Ronsonol? - 11/21/19
There is a Zippo brand lighter fluid. Not sure if it smells like perfume now. Been a long time since I carried a zippo.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Ronsonol? - 11/21/19
Sometime in the last few years they changed the ingredient from naphtha which had been used since forever to "light petroleum distillate", whatever that may be. That could be what you're smelling.
Posted By: Steve Re: Ronsonol? - 11/21/19
Ronson

Aliphatic hydrocarbons

Ronson Lighter Fluid MSDS

Zippo Lighter fluid:

Light Hydrotreated Distillate 70%
Naptha 30%

Zippo Lighter Fluid MSDS
Posted By: shootem Re: Ronsonol? - 11/21/19
Tried to find some lighter fluid the other day for my refillable type hand warmers. Couldn't find any lighter fluid!!! Got me to wondering about Coleman fuel for lanterns, stoves and such. Anybody have good advice for or against using Coleman fuel in such a device??
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Ronsonol? - 11/21/19
shootem,

Not a petroleum expert, but those seem to me to be two completely different types of fuels.

I had enough fuel burns on my legs when I carried a full Zippo lighter using regular lighter fluid to want to try using a "thinner", more volatile version in anything I'm going to be carrying.

You might just have to go to a smoke shop, Indian tobacco store, or some such, maybe in a bigger town to find genuine lighter fluid.

Geno
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Ronsonol? - 11/21/19
You think it's hard to find lighter fluid, try finding flints.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ronsonol? - 11/21/19
Years back when I still smoked, I put some lacquer thinner in my Zippo. It burned a big flame, yes it stunk.
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: Ronsonol? - 11/21/19
Originally Posted by shootem
Tried to find some lighter fluid the other day for my refillable type hand warmers. Couldn't find any lighter fluid!!! Got me to wondering about Coleman fuel for lanterns, stoves and such. Anybody have good advice for or against using Coleman fuel in such a device??

According to this, Coleman fuel is a form of naptha. I am not sure, but I don't think everything called naptha is the same.

I have been using Zippo fuel in my handwarmers. It seems more volatile than Coleman fuel, but that's just a casual observation.

https://backpackerverse.com/coleman-fuel-substitute/
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Ronsonol? - 11/21/19
I don't smoke but I do use a lighter when I'm casting bullets. Also handy when lighting up my propane torch to anneal brass. I tried Coleman fuel and it worked fairly well as far as light a fire but it totally evaporated out in less than two days and I don't like the smell. That was here in our very hot summer and the lighter was left out in the shed where I do my work.
Paul B.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ronsonol? - 11/21/19
Ha!!

Used to charge my zippo wick with Escape by Calvin Klien for men.

Worked great, chick magnet too. If she smokes she pokes.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Ronsonol? - 11/21/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Years back when I still smoked, I put some lacquer thinner in my Zippo. It burned a big flame, yes it stunk.
A Zippo will run on anything including low octane avgas. Should have some light oil in it for the benefit of the striker wheel.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Ronsonol? - 11/21/19
Originally Posted by Steve
Ronson

Aliphatic hydrocarbons

Zippo Lighter fluid:

Naptha 30%

Zippo Lighter Fluid MSDS

If you read every one of the warnings on the MSDS from the Government about all the things we use on a daily basis, you'd just stay in your bedroom and never do anything. Everything on these looks like it will kill you and your family.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Ronsonol? - 11/21/19
Originally Posted by Steve
Ronson

Aliphatic hydrocarbons

Zippo Lighter fluid:

Naptha 30%

Zippo Lighter Fluid MSDS

"Light Hydrotreated Distillate" are fancy words for kerosene. Naptha can be bought at Lowes or Home Depot in the paint thinner department. You could mix you own if it's hard to find.
Posted By: SDWhirlwind Re: Ronsonol? - 11/22/19
Originally Posted by websterparish47
You think it's hard to find lighter fluid, try finding flints.

Forgot about flints. Used to always see the little plastic piece with 5 flints for sale wherever cigs were sold. Haven't seen them in decades around here. The Bic changed contracting lung cancer for thousands of smokers.lol
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Ronsonol? - 11/22/19
Coleman fuel is gasoline. Period.

We always used Amoco clear premium.

They started selling Coleman fuel only because people
had trouble getting/using junk fuel. Leaded would plug up the
generators

Was ironic when they came out with dual fuel lanterns.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Ronsonol? - 11/22/19
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A Zippo will run on anything including low octane avgas. Should have some light oil in it for the benefit of the striker wheel.

The old man told me he knew this old guy back when he was a kid, never bought lighter fluid for his zippo. Just tied a string on the fuel canister and dropped it into the fuel tank of the tractor. Always pack a zippo boy he used to say, they run on anything.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Ronsonol? - 11/22/19
Best place to buy lighter flints is Ebay. Used to be real cheap, the last time I bought some a couple of years ago for my survival kit Zippo lighter.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Ronsonol? - 11/22/19
I used to smoke and used a zippo lighter ronsonol lighter fluid is much better than zippo lighter fluid
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Ronsonol? - 11/22/19

Yup. I use it all the time. Works just as well, if not better than the lighter specific fuel.
Posted By: jdm953 Re: Ronsonol? - 11/22/19
Now that you have the can refill it with naphtha from the hardware store
Posted By: montanabadger Re: Ronsonol? - 11/22/19
Kingsford
Posted By: Steve Re: Ronsonol? - 11/23/19
Not a bad replacement.

Kingsford MSDS

Naptha: 60 – 100%
Stoddard Solvent (mineral spirits) : 60 – 100%
Posted By: night_owl Re: Ronsonol? - 11/23/19
Gasoline works fine. some chicks dig the smell.
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Ronsonol? - 11/23/19

I've been burning Coleman fuel and White Gas in my Zippo lighter and hand held warmers for years and years. That white gas is right on the same shelf next to the Coleman fuel. I got no problems with 'em.
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Ronsonol? - 11/23/19
Originally Posted by Valsdad
shootem,

Not a petroleum expert, but those seem to me to be two completely different types of fuels.

I had enough fuel burns on my legs when I carried a full Zippo lighter using regular lighter fluid to want to try using a "thinner", more volatile version in anything I'm going to be carrying.

You might just have to go to a smoke shop, Indian tobacco store, or some such, maybe in a bigger town to find genuine lighter fluid.

Geno

Next time you run across a bicycle inner tube, but off a few inches and save it. Take about 2 inches off that and stretch it right over the lighter. Then you'll have to roll it down to open the lighter and roll it up after you close it but that fluid fill will last 3 -4 times as long and you'll never get that leg burn again. It also makes the lighter water proof as far as I can tell from the 4-5 years I been carrying mine that way.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ronsonol? - 11/23/19
When I was a kid, our church had a 4th of July picnic and celebration. Someone always made a run to South Dakota for firecrackers/works. I had a Zippo lighter for lighting firecrackers. It ran out of fuel. We only lived a block from the church, so Dad took me home to refill the lighter. He overfilled it at the kitchen sink, and fuel ran down his hairy left arm. Naturally, he flicked the wheel to see if it worked. There was a sudden "poof" and his bare left arm no longer matched his hirsute right arm. When we returned home that evening, Mom had a fit about where on Earth the awful smell lingering in the kitchen came from.
© 24hourcampfire