Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14297786 11/20/19
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I hesitate to put this out on this particular forum but don’t know where it fits. I grabbed a new bottle of Ronsonol lighter fluid and it smells like perfume. Is there another brand available that just burns without a stink?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's the only brand I have ever seen for sale around here. I mean in the last 30yrs or more. Heck, to us gun guys isn't it supposed to be 'perfume'? lol

Last edited by SDWhirlwind; 11/20/19.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There is a Zippo brand lighter fluid. Not sure if it smells like perfume now. Been a long time since I carried a zippo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometime in the last few years they changed the ingredient from naphtha which had been used since forever to "light petroleum distillate", whatever that may be. That could be what you're smelling.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ronson

Aliphatic hydrocarbons

Ronson Lighter Fluid MSDS

Zippo Lighter fluid:

Light Hydrotreated Distillate 70%
Naptha 30%

Zippo Lighter Fluid MSDS

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Tried to find some lighter fluid the other day for my refillable type hand warmers. Couldn't find any lighter fluid!!! Got me to wondering about Coleman fuel for lanterns, stoves and such. Anybody have good advice for or against using Coleman fuel in such a device??

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
shootem,

Not a petroleum expert, but those seem to me to be two completely different types of fuels.

I had enough fuel burns on my legs when I carried a full Zippo lighter using regular lighter fluid to want to try using a "thinner", more volatile version in anything I'm going to be carrying.

You might just have to go to a smoke shop, Indian tobacco store, or some such, maybe in a bigger town to find genuine lighter fluid.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
You think it's hard to find lighter fluid, try finding flints.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Years back when I still smoked, I put some lacquer thinner in my Zippo. It burned a big flame, yes it stunk.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by shootem
Tried to find some lighter fluid the other day for my refillable type hand warmers. Couldn't find any lighter fluid!!! Got me to wondering about Coleman fuel for lanterns, stoves and such. Anybody have good advice for or against using Coleman fuel in such a device??

According to this, Coleman fuel is a form of naptha. I am not sure, but I don't think everything called naptha is the same.

I have been using Zippo fuel in my handwarmers. It seems more volatile than Coleman fuel, but that's just a casual observation.

https://backpackerverse.com/coleman-fuel-substitute/

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't smoke but I do use a lighter when I'm casting bullets. Also handy when lighting up my propane torch to anneal brass. I tried Coleman fuel and it worked fairly well as far as light a fire but it totally evaporated out in less than two days and I don't like the smell. That was here in our very hot summer and the lighter was left out in the shed where I do my work.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Ha!!

Used to charge my zippo wick with Escape by Calvin Klien for men.

Worked great, chick magnet too. If she smokes she pokes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Years back when I still smoked, I put some lacquer thinner in my Zippo. It burned a big flame, yes it stunk.
A Zippo will run on anything including low octane avgas. Should have some light oil in it for the benefit of the striker wheel.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Steve
Ronson

Aliphatic hydrocarbons

Zippo Lighter fluid:

Naptha 30%

Zippo Lighter Fluid MSDS

If you read every one of the warnings on the MSDS from the Government about all the things we use on a daily basis, you'd just stay in your bedroom and never do anything. Everything on these looks like it will kill you and your family.

Last edited by reivertom; 11/21/19.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Steve
Ronson

Aliphatic hydrocarbons

Zippo Lighter fluid:

Naptha 30%

Zippo Lighter Fluid MSDS

"Light Hydrotreated Distillate" are fancy words for kerosene. Naptha can be bought at Lowes or Home Depot in the paint thinner department. You could mix you own if it's hard to find.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by websterparish47
You think it's hard to find lighter fluid, try finding flints.

Forgot about flints. Used to always see the little plastic piece with 5 flints for sale wherever cigs were sold. Haven't seen them in decades around here. The Bic changed contracting lung cancer for thousands of smokers.lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Coleman fuel is gasoline. Period.

We always used Amoco clear premium.

They started selling Coleman fuel only because people
had trouble getting/using junk fuel. Leaded would plug up the
generators

Was ironic when they came out with dual fuel lanterns.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A Zippo will run on anything including low octane avgas. Should have some light oil in it for the benefit of the striker wheel.

The old man told me he knew this old guy back when he was a kid, never bought lighter fluid for his zippo. Just tied a string on the fuel canister and dropped it into the fuel tank of the tractor. Always pack a zippo boy he used to say, they run on anything.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Best place to buy lighter flints is Ebay. Used to be real cheap, the last time I bought some a couple of years ago for my survival kit Zippo lighter.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I used to smoke and used a zippo lighter ronsonol lighter fluid is much better than zippo lighter fluid

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,074
Posts18,482,669
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.