Home
The wife and I have our favorites for visiting cities - but we lack going to the beach or lake for a quiet retreat.

What’s you favorite for this stateside ?
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
The wife and I have our favorites for visiting cities - but we lack going to the beach or lake for a quiet retreat.

Lake Mattamuskeet, where all you will hear is the sound of thousands of birds:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Mattamuskeet

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image from coastalreview.org]
[Linked Image from research.duke.edu]

fishin' is good..........

but you have to hike in..........or horseback.........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Yeah, right. A few thousand geese are as quiet as a freight train. grin
Summer lake, Oregon.

It don't get much quieter than this place!

Virgil B.
If quite is all you want, my home town. Not only do they roll the streets up at night, some weeks they forget to unroll them. laugh
The Everglades are nice this time of year. Real quiet. smile
You might want to consider Lake Luer in NC. It is located in the middle of the mountains and close to other attractions if want hiking, boating, fishing, or just quiet time. There are several nice restaurants there and the people are very friendly. Good Luck and enjoy wherever you end up.
Alto Louisiana
Instead of boring ol' mountains and lakes, check out the Craters of the Moon Nat. Monument and preserve in Idaho. Hundreds of square miles of lava flows, craters, and caves to explore. You can be out there for days and not see anyone. Just you and a few birds and coyotes.
https://www.google.com/search?newwi...0ahUKEwigx4O70pTmAhXWsJ4KHZbzDaAQ4dUDCAc
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Instead of boring ol' mountains and lakes, check out the Craters of the Moon Nat. Monument and preserve in Idaho. Hundreds of square miles of lava flows, craters, and caves to explore. You can be out there for days and not see anyone. Just you and a few birds and coyotes.

I've never heard of that place.It sounds awsome

The wife and I are planning a trip up to the white mountains in New Hampshire next fall. My biggest concern is its close proximity to Boston. They have a trail there that is rated one of the top 5 by National Geographic in the United States.

As for a quiet spot, I don;t think you have to travel too far from home to find something. For me, living in Ohio, if I want solitude , its the Upper Pennisula on the East Side (although its pretty much sparse population anywhere you go). Just find a random little town and pick your spot - camper, rental or motel.
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I've never heard of that place.It sounds awsome

The wife and I are planning a trip up to the white mountains in New Hampshire next fall. My biggest concern is its close proximity to Boston. They have a trail there that is rated one of the top 5 by National Geographic in the United States.

As for a quiet spot, I don;t think you have to travel too far from home to find something. For me, living in Ohio, if I want solitude , its the Upper Pennisula on the East Side (although its pretty much sparse population anywhere you go). Just find a random little town and pick your spot - camper, rental or motel.
Here's a video of just one spot out there, called the King's Bowl. You won't get it much quieter than this. I should mention that August isn't the best time to be out there. It gets a tad warm.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=217&v=FuRDiiSlCck&feature=emb_logo[/video]
Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Minnesota. You won't find better than this with the exception of Alaska.
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Alto Louisiana

Y’all have to pipe in sunshine?

Stop lights?

Gotta go to Rayville for a loaf of bread?

DF
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Mattamuskeet

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image from coastalreview.org]
[Linked Image from research.duke.edu]

I'm from eastern NC, and I enjoy Mattamuskeet for what it is, but that would have to be about the most boring vacation spot in the world. There ain't chit to do there except watch waterfowl.
If the OP wants a laid-back beach setting, Ocracoke Island would be a good choice. Or that beach island down around Wilmington that only allows golf carts - can't think of the name of it right now.
We have travelled around a bit and have found the timing to be almost as important as the destination. In the northwest, and all along the northern border states, early to mid-September is prime time. Crowds are thinned out, weather is great, mosquitoes are likely to be dormant, and highways are less travelled. We like to find National Forest campgrounds when we can and there are a bunch in Montana and Idaho which are always pleasant. Push the date into late September and October and we are in the middle of prime elk season so there is no travel! In November, the Southwest has so many potential destinations, it's hard to pinpoint one.
We like east Texas and have camped near Crockett a couple of times. Quiet and a nice little lake.
After Christmas, we have often camped in Everglades National park and still enjoy it; although the turning over of the campgrounds to private operators has kind of soured the experience with poorer services and surly employees. If you want some seclusion, a canoe trip on the inland waterway is pretty rewarding.
We look for out-of-the-way spots to stop and camp and do most of our travelling in the off season; partly because our own campground demands out attention in season and partly because most of my travel in the summer is to matches. Most places east of the Mississippi seem crowded to us and it is always pleasant to find pockets which are comparatively quiet. Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and the northeastern states all have places which are worth visiting in the fall. We'll never see it all! GD
Try leasing a houseboat in an area such as Dale Hollow Lake for the Fall color change.
With 600+ miles of shoreline you'll find a quite inlet to anchor off in and just kick back and relax.

[Linked Image from houseboating.org]

https://www.houseboating.org/Dale-Hollow-Lake-Houseboat-Rentals
My backyard. 😎.
[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Alto Louisiana

Y’all have to pipe in sunshine? NO but only comes in at high noon!

Stop lights? NONE

Gotta go to Rayville for a loaf of bread? Archibald has a store I think!

DF
Deer lease, peaceful there!
SE Utah, grande staircase Escalante . can spends weeks in there hiking around

gorgeous country

https://www.blm.gov/programs/nation...nd-staircase-escalante-national-monument

Originally Posted by greydog
We have travelled around a bit and have found the timing to be almost as important as the destination. In the northwest, and all along the northern border states, early to mid-September is prime time. Crowds are thinned out, weather is great, mosquitoes are likely to be dormant, and highways are less travelled. We like to find National Forest campgrounds when we can and there are a bunch in Montana and Idaho which are always pleasant. Push the date into late September and October and we are in the middle of prime elk season so there is no travel! In November, the Southwest has so many potential destinations, it's hard to pinpoint one.
We like east Texas and have camped near Crockett a couple of times. Quiet and a nice little lake.
After Christmas, we have often camped in Everglades National park and still enjoy it; although the turning over of the campgrounds to private operators has kind of soured the experience with poorer services and surly employees. If you want some seclusion, a canoe trip on the inland waterway is pretty rewarding.
We look for out-of-the-way spots to stop and camp and do most of our travelling in the off season; partly because our own campground demands out attention in season and partly because most of my travel in the summer is to matches. Most places east of the Mississippi seem crowded to us and it is always pleasant to find pockets which are comparatively quiet. Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and the northeastern states all have places which are worth visiting in the fall. We'll never see it all! GD

Tagging for later......and good point about timing!
Originally Posted by KFWA
[
Beat me to it. Anywhere in the Paradise/Munising area is good for me.
Hawaii is beautiful and exortic
Cuttyhunk
Originally Posted by hitNpass
Hawaii is beautiful and exortic

I just got back from Kona for the first time. It's nice when the breeze is blowing but just hot and humid when it isn't.
It's been a long time since I visited the UP of Michigan. I'd like to go back someday. But first I'd have to know the best time of summer to avoid the blackflies. The last time I was there they were genuinely intolerable anywhere around Lake Superior.
We just got home from a month in Jackson, Wy. Off season, no crowds and great deals on food and lodging. We went to a number of lakes and had them all to our selves, weather was cool but sunny w/ ice starting to form on the lakes and streams. Animals were abundant, including bears and wolves. We hiked and explored every day and still saw only a fraction of what was available. The solitude far exceeded our expectations for this usually very busy area.

mike r
Originally Posted by lvmiker
We just got home from a month in Jackson, Wy. Off season, no crowds and great deals on food and lodging. We went to a number of lakes and had them all to our selves, weather was cool but sunny w/ ice starting to form on the lakes and streams. Animals were abundant, including bears and wolves. We hiked and explored every day and still saw only a fraction of what was available. The solitude far exceeded our expectations for this usually very busy area.

mike r

November and April are the best two months for Jackson.
Depends on how adventurous your wife is. Mine is good for one night of camping after that no more. We enjoyed a trip down the California coast, hwy 1 to Monterrey and Carmel. Southern Utah, escalante etc would be great if you haven’t been there
Spotshooter,

Is there a region you'd prefer?

Which region do you live in?
You want quiet and relaxing go rent a cabin on Drummond Island Michigan.
As others have noted, the time of year and what you consider "quiet" to be make the answer vary.

There are so many great places to see in America and our fine neighbor to the north the possibilities are endless. Think about "working the edges" of the more popular seasons. We just spent a few days up in the lakes region of NH in our ongoing search for retirement locations. Its not really ski season yet and summer is certainly over so it was very quiet.

We drove around and looked at some lakes, ate at some fun good places and also spent time in the hotel room in front of the fireplace and relaxed. A really nice break before the hubbub of Thanksgiving with my wife's family.

The scenery was awful. grin

Man, I am glad I asked this question... great places guys !!
Home.....
After the " vacation ".
Why not take her to a tropical island, one close to Florida, a few years back we visited Jamaica and it was really nice there...I had so much fun.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

You beat me to it Toby!!
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Originally Posted by 12344mag

You beat me to it Toby!!

Don't be to upset, remember I'm a little younger than you.........
My favorite vacation spot for the better part of 30 years was Door County, WI-- especially the Whitefish Bay area. I haven't been there in a while, but it was awesome. Watching the moon rise over Cave Point was a highlight of my life. The fishing was the best I ever had.

My wife is from the Big South Fork region on the KY/TN border. If you're looking for a woodsy kind of quiet, this is your ticket. I can think of nothing better than to go down to the old swimming hole at Mine 18 and go round and round in the big eddy. The Overlooks by the Blue Heron campground are awesome. I could go on for hours about BSF.

[Linked Image]

I was quite taken by the campground at Anastasia, by St Augustine FL. The beach can get crowded during the touristy parts of the season, but if you go in the off-season you can have a mile or so of it all to yourself.

Another good spot down there is Cedar Springs. It's kind of out of the way. The Springs are great and the river kayaking is under-utilized.

Stowe, Vermont in the summer was great-- the ski lodges are empty, but open.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's been a long time since I visited the UP of Michigan. I'd like to go back someday. But first I'd have to know the best time of summer to avoid the blackflies. The last time I was there they were genuinely intolerable anywhere around Lake Superior.

Go there in September or early October. The leaves are changing and the kids are back in school so it's much quieter.
I always go in early to mid October. I've been in Mid August, September as well and didn't even know there was an insect problem. It must be a June/July timeframe
Thats a nice looking place.
Originally Posted by Toddly
My backyard. 😎.
[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

Toddly's place for the win.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

fishin' is good..........

but you have to hike in..........or horseback.........

tikka, which lake is this?

Blind Lake......Boulder Mtn.......ATV access also......

https://www.visitutah.com/things-to-do/road-trips/must-do/all-american-road/boulder-mountain/
© 24hourcampfire