gorgeous country

https://www.blm.gov/programs/nation...nd-staircase-escalante-national-monument

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by greydog
We have travelled around a bit and have found the timing to be almost as important as the destination. In the northwest, and all along the northern border states, early to mid-September is prime time. Crowds are thinned out, weather is great, mosquitoes are likely to be dormant, and highways are less travelled. We like to find National Forest campgrounds when we can and there are a bunch in Montana and Idaho which are always pleasant. Push the date into late September and October and we are in the middle of prime elk season so there is no travel! In November, the Southwest has so many potential destinations, it's hard to pinpoint one.
We like east Texas and have camped near Crockett a couple of times. Quiet and a nice little lake.
After Christmas, we have often camped in Everglades National park and still enjoy it; although the turning over of the campgrounds to private operators has kind of soured the experience with poorer services and surly employees. If you want some seclusion, a canoe trip on the inland waterway is pretty rewarding.
We look for out-of-the-way spots to stop and camp and do most of our travelling in the off season; partly because our own campground demands out attention in season and partly because most of my travel in the summer is to matches. Most places east of the Mississippi seem crowded to us and it is always pleasant to find pockets which are comparatively quiet. Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and the northeastern states all have places which are worth visiting in the fall. We'll never see it all! GD

Tagging for later......and good point about timing!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by KFWA
[
As for a quiet spot, I don;t think you have to travel too far from home to find something. For me, living in Ohio, if I want solitude , its the Upper Pennisula on the East Side (although its pretty much sparse population anywhere you go). Just find a random little town and pick your spot - camper, rental or motel.
Beat me to it. Anywhere in the Paradise/Munising area is good for me.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Hawaii is beautiful and exortic

IC B2

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Cuttyhunk

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by hitNpass
Hawaii is beautiful and exortic

I just got back from Kona for the first time. It's nice when the breeze is blowing but just hot and humid when it isn't.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It's been a long time since I visited the UP of Michigan. I'd like to go back someday. But first I'd have to know the best time of summer to avoid the blackflies. The last time I was there they were genuinely intolerable anywhere around Lake Superior.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
We just got home from a month in Jackson, Wy. Off season, no crowds and great deals on food and lodging. We went to a number of lakes and had them all to our selves, weather was cool but sunny w/ ice starting to form on the lakes and streams. Animals were abundant, including bears and wolves. We hiked and explored every day and still saw only a fraction of what was available. The solitude far exceeded our expectations for this usually very busy area.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lvmiker
We just got home from a month in Jackson, Wy. Off season, no crowds and great deals on food and lodging. We went to a number of lakes and had them all to our selves, weather was cool but sunny w/ ice starting to form on the lakes and streams. Animals were abundant, including bears and wolves. We hiked and explored every day and still saw only a fraction of what was available. The solitude far exceeded our expectations for this usually very busy area.

mike r

November and April are the best two months for Jackson.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on how adventurous your wife is. Mine is good for one night of camping after that no more. We enjoyed a trip down the California coast, hwy 1 to Monterrey and Carmel. Southern Utah, escalante etc would be great if you haven’t been there

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spotshooter,

Is there a region you'd prefer?

Which region do you live in?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You want quiet and relaxing go rent a cabin on Drummond Island Michigan.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As others have noted, the time of year and what you consider "quiet" to be make the answer vary.

There are so many great places to see in America and our fine neighbor to the north the possibilities are endless. Think about "working the edges" of the more popular seasons. We just spent a few days up in the lakes region of NH in our ongoing search for retirement locations. Its not really ski season yet and summer is certainly over so it was very quiet.

We drove around and looked at some lakes, ate at some fun good places and also spent time in the hotel room in front of the fireplace and relaxed. A really nice break before the hubbub of Thanksgiving with my wife's family.

The scenery was awful. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Man, I am glad I asked this question... great places guys !!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Home.....
After the " vacation ".

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Why not take her to a tropical island, one close to Florida, a few years back we visited Jamaica and it was really nice there...I had so much fun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag

You beat me to it Toby!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Originally Posted by 12344mag

You beat me to it Toby!!

Don't be to upset, remember I'm a little younger than you.........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite vacation spot for the better part of 30 years was Door County, WI-- especially the Whitefish Bay area. I haven't been there in a while, but it was awesome. Watching the moon rise over Cave Point was a highlight of my life. The fishing was the best I ever had.

My wife is from the Big South Fork region on the KY/TN border. If you're looking for a woodsy kind of quiet, this is your ticket. I can think of nothing better than to go down to the old swimming hole at Mine 18 and go round and round in the big eddy. The Overlooks by the Blue Heron campground are awesome. I could go on for hours about BSF.

[Linked Image]

I was quite taken by the campground at Anastasia, by St Augustine FL. The beach can get crowded during the touristy parts of the season, but if you go in the off-season you can have a mile or so of it all to yourself.

Another good spot down there is Cedar Springs. It's kind of out of the way. The Springs are great and the river kayaking is under-utilized.

Stowe, Vermont in the summer was great-- the ski lodges are empty, but open.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 52 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,686
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.