Home
Posted By: RickyBobby Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/04/19
I know it seems trivial but are there some better than others? Never ran one before on any of my rifles and just wanting to try one to see if it’s for me or not. Tired of digging in my pockets or pack to occasionally grab a cartridge. Seems like having them always at the ready might make more sense and in a much more logical location.
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/04/19
No matter which you choose, please remove it during storage or risk ruining the buttstock finish!
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/04/19
The $3.50 Allen cloth cartridge holders from WalMart work just fine.
They hold 9 rounds.
I have them on every rifle I own and have never had a problem with them damaging the finish.
If they get wet they come off though.
Posted By: greydog Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/04/19
While not classy, the Allen holders work just fine. I use one on my single shot. Magazine rifles have their own shellholder; built in. GD
Originally Posted by greydog
Magazine rifles have their own shellholder; built in.

I agree and very rarely need more than what the magazine will hold. Perfect scenario you only need 1 shell ... right??

I think it’s more about just keeping them in a good location that is easily accessible for me. Could possibly pay off one day to have them there?
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
No matter which you choose, please remove it during storage or risk ruining the buttstock finish!

Most damage I have seen on buttstocks from those were from using the rifle while hunting, and being outdoors, and usually amounted to sun damage to part of the stock, while that part under the holder was protected, and didn't get faded and scratched as the rest of the exposed areas did.

I think if the material isn't caustic, storage as a safe queen wouldn't really matter. But then, and safe queen is probably not very likely to sport a shell holder in the first place.
I use the flip open type with the hook and loop that you wear with your belt. They work good for me. I think I got mine from Midway.
Originally Posted by wilbilly
I use the flip open type with the hook and loop that you wear with your belt. They work good for me. I think I got mine from Midway.

........ You beat me to it....... I second that motion. Handiest thing yet for a few spare rounds.
Originally Posted by wilbilly

Never even considered that style. Might look into it.
If you need that many rounds to put down an animal, you should be asking different questions.
Federal used to sell centerfire in those plastic belt holders.

See some goober checking a spike horn in at the market with enough fire power attached to him to raid Abbottabad.
I like them on a shotgun but not so much on a rifle. When they get stretched out the shells fall out.
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
If you need that many rounds to put down an animal, you should be asking different questions.

Again, it’s not about needing them. It’s about keeping them in an easily accessible location and always knowing where they are. If I actually need that many rounds I’ll just put down the bolt action or lever action and grab the AR.
Allen shell holder on every big game rifle.

Beginning of season, four in the belly and nine in the shell holder. Those 13 rounds remain in/on the gun until the season is over or they get used. That way, I grab the gun and go, and never worry about having the right ammo around. We don't have to unload the magazine for vehicle travel here, so I never have loose rounds to worry about for the entire season.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/04/19

Never tried one myself but look like they would be especially handy with single shot rifles and double barrel shotguns. For removable clip type firearms I just always carried a spare loaded clip or two in a easy to get to pocket with nothing else in that pocket.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/04/19
Google - rifle buttstock pouch, I tried to show pics but was unable. Some have shell loops on a velcro card that can be transferred from inside a zippered pouch to the outside to be attached there. The pouch is handy for keeping other things such as a hex wrench for rings.
Some offer comb risers, but most can retain ones you make yourself, if you want a better cheek rest.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/04/19
Oh, I forgot about this. Please disregard the pouch in front of the action, I decided it was dumb & took it off.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: jnyork Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/04/19

Indeed!! One shot should do it, otherwise you need more range time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/04/19

I see the judgmental aspect of the fire hasn't changed.
Have one on the kid's rifle. Keeps it simple. Everything in 1 spot.

My chest bino-carrier has small mesh pockets on either side. I tend to carry 3 or 4 extra shells in those little pockets. Handy and very accessible.
Good on a H&R USH 20 gauge.
Just wish i woulda yanked one out and double tapped Lazarus back in 08 to make sure.....
Fugg...
Cup of coffee and 2 smokes looking at him "dead" 75 yds away.
Got up took 3 or 4 steps
Mofo rose up like the undertaker and hauled ass.
Quartering away intially , pretty sure I 1 lunged him glancing angle
No blood on ground side where he was laying
Hornady SST slugs suck they dont drive thru...JMO...
Stupid thing back when i was worried about fugging backstraps and schit.

Trailed that deer for 7 or 800 yds.
Hide and fat probably flexing over the wound.
Totally lost the weak blood trail.
Had ta give up.

Wish i had yanked a shell outta the holder that morning and drove one into the big ole white patch on his chest facing me when he was down.
Worried about back straps and meat.....

Fugg that schit anymore.....
Posted By: hanco Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/04/19
One of the boys on our lease had one on his rifle once. He caught a lot of cshit from the other guys. They said it looked gay!
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/04/19
Did you ever stop and think maybe some people hunt critters other than big game? Have you ever called coyotes, ya know, where there could be 3, 4, 5, 6 or more show up on one stand? Have you ever walked further than a couple hundred yards from the truck while hunting coyotes. You know, where you might call a single or a double on one stand, then walk a half mile and repeat, and then walk another half mile and repeat, and so on?

Obviously not. Some of us get out where we may shoot 10 or more rounds before getting back to the truck.

If that makes me gay, so be it. Those that think it's gay are invited to come and keep up....
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/04/19
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
No matter which you choose, please remove it before hunting with it or taking it out of the house!

Fixed it for you.

Sorry. I admit they may be handy, but dang...

Although I happily shoot until the critter is graveyard dead.

I shot a moose this fall with 5 rounds. What question should I be asking?
Posted By: bobmn Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/04/19
I tried an elastic butt holder on a tahr hunting trip to the South Island in New Zealand living in a tent. The elastic froze up and was not elastic anymore. I littered the mountain with 300 WSM shells like Johnny Appleseed. The belt holder eliminated the problem.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/04/19
Where I live and hunt hogs are fairly common. I've gotten in some serious "fire fights" with a sounder of hogs while deer hunting. I carry a lot more ammo when hunting than I used to 15+ years ago.
Now when I go out specifically after hogs I usually carry an AR15.

Some of you not familiar with hogs might wonder how you can shoot that much after the first shot because you think they'ed all run away. And you be mostly right, but in open fields you can maybe get several shots off and sometime hogs get confused and run in all direction and run right back into your line of sight offering another shot opportunity.

The amount of times you may need to fire your rifle and the quantity of ammo you carry can depend on a number of variables depending on the situation.

Heck I sometimes suffer from Buck Fever and have been known to throw an air ball from time to time. This buck was killed with the second shot at about 240 yards facing me. He stood still after the first shot and I calmed down and got him with the second.

Originally Posted by renegade50
Just wish i woulda yanked one out and double tapped Lazarus back in 08 to make sure.....
Fugg...
Got up took 3 or 4 steps

Had ta give up.

Wish i had yanked a shell outta the holder that morning and drove one into the big ole white patch on his chest facing me when he was down.

I hear ya! Lesson learned.

I got tired of losing deer because they left my property when tracking so me and the boy started shooting them directly in the shoulders several years back and we have recovered everyone since(knock on wood). We are wasting more meat for sure but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes! Occasionally they even require a 2nd shot but at least they don’t go anywhere and we get the opportunity to put them down for good. I’ve had too many double lunged deer run a good ways and leave my little 80ac patch that we had to make the adjustment.
Originally Posted by TRnCO
Did you ever stop and think maybe some people hunt critters other than big game? Have you ever called coyotes, ya know, where there could be 3, 4, 5, 6 or more show up on one stand? Have you ever walked further than a couple hundred yards from the truck while hunting coyotes. You know, where you might call a single or a double on one stand, then walk a half mile and repeat, and then walk another half mile and repeat, and so on?

Obviously not. Some of us get out where we may shoot 10 or more rounds before getting back to the truck.

If that makes me gay, so be it. Those that think it's gay are invited to come and keep up....

Thank You!

... or you could be out hunting and get stranded or have something happen where you can’t return to home/camp for a day or two and having extra rounds could be a lifesaver. I never go hunting with just a couple rounds!
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/04/19
After watching a You Tube video of a guy shooting 3 wolves that were coming at him while Elk hunting w/ a bow, I am thinking of adding one to my 45-70 Guide Gun. The leather ones are pricey but look cool on that rifle.

mike r
Posted By: aalf Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/04/19
The ones that hold 9 suck donkey balls......I prefer the Beartooth Stock Guard, made from neoprene, not elastic. They hold six rounds and stay put. They're so damn hard to put on, it's easier to pull the barreled action and slide it on from the front. I run them on everything.

They have redesigned them, so I haven't tried the new versions yet.

Posted By: JPro Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/04/19
I have the 6-round neoprene Uncle Mikes version on three straight-combed Ruger M77 rifles. While they aren't beautiful, I don't mind them on "meat guns" and it is handy to grab a rifle from the safe and know it has 9-10 rounds attached. All of those rifles have magnum-weight barrels and Ruger rings, so they are already fairly heavy, and the extra weight of the shell-holder and ammo doesn't mess up balance. I also put the same style shell-holder on my .444 Handi and CVA .35 Whelen for Primitive Weapons season. They wear sturdy contour barrels also.

If I don't use the Uncle Mike's neoprene sleeve, I'll often use the foldable shell-wallet they make, and keep it in the front pocket of my backpack. When you're swapping between a dozen rifles in a season, it is nice to have a few where the ammo is all with the rifle and you don't have to verify you've got the right ammo wallet (or extra DBM) in your bag. There's been several times I've gotten into hogs and shot up 4-5 rounds in a few minutes, so I try to always take 9-10 rounds with me, plus a handgun.

Originally Posted by aalf
The ones that hold 9 suck donkey balls......I prefer the Beartooth Stock Guard, made from neoprene, not elastic. They hold six rounds and stay put. They're so damn hard to put on, it's easier to pull the barreled action and slide it on from the front. I run them on everything.

They have redesigned them, so I haven't tried the new versions yet.

I will have to look into that brand.

Thanks
https://www.beartooth-products.com/collections/stockguard

Pity they did away with the snow camo........

I just looked at them on Amazon. I think $17 or $18 delivered to my door. Appreciate the input. I think this is the one I’ll be trying. I may also grab a leather wallet type sometime just for throwing in my pack. Like I say, just getting tired of digging around in my pockets or pack to find them when needed. A little organization can go a long ways sometimes! Lol
So how hard are they to install? The Uncle Mikes do suck, the elastic gets stretched and shells fall out. Plus they can be a bear to get over the buttstock and after you do get it on, it's loose on the end toward the pistol grip.
To each his own, but I don't want my finely crafted ammo banged up or adding weight to a rifle that I obsessed with shedding weight.

Leather shellholder on my belt or folding holder in a pocket.

[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

I keep one pant or coat pocket empty save one extra cartridge. If I need it I can grab it fast to reload my single shot. Ain't needed it yet but I can grab it quite fast.
Triad Tactical is the one we use

It has a zippered covered cartridge area

[Linked Image from i165.photobucket.com]
Made my own wish like hell I could get the pics thing figured out. PM if you wanna see something anyone with general leatherworking ability can do. Wanted one for the longest for my Win 94. DIY
Originally Posted by roundoak
To each his own, but I don't want my finely crafted ammo banged up or adding weight to a rifle that I obsessed with shedding weight.

Leather shellholder on my belt or folding holder in a pocket.

[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

I could very well end up going that route myself. I’ll probably try it several ways to determine what works best for me.
I carry extra rounds in one of the old federal plastic holders and covered. Can't see spending all the effort trying to load perfect bullets then shove a dirty or dust covered one in the action. Covered stock pack might work.
Another Allen user here. I used to shoot a 300 WSM. With those wide cases, I had to leave every 3d hole in the shellholder empty. There wasn't room to fill them all. They also stretch the elastic and after a few years, it won't hold the cases securely. They work great on a 308/30-06 size case which includes most of the popular rounds used today.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/05/19

Some of us may be looking to shoot more than one animal. I've had many, many occasions where I've shot several in quick succession. Culling pigs for example, I've often shot more than my magazine holds before the mob's got away, stuffing additional rounds in to get the stragglers.

I've also had occasion to cull buffalo with a double rifle, and often hunt with it or a single shot, combination or drilling. For all these purposes I think that the ammunition carrier on the butt of the rifle is invaluable. It is handy and fast to get additional rounds and, unlike some belt-mounted types, you aren't likely to damage the rifle on it.

I usually just use the elastic type - Allen I think. They seem to work well. I make a small hole for the rear swivel stud, which seems to hold them in place, and I've never had an issue with rounds falling out.
Posted By: aalf Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/05/19
Another point lost on some, is some states don't allow any ammo in the gun, chamber or magazine, when being transported.

I typically use a Butler Creek Alaskan Magnum sling with the four shell loops. Those rounds go in the gun and the six in the butt stock are extras, all for when I need to bail out of the truck, grab the gun, and take off, most generally Wile-E-Coyote is involved.
With my 35 wheeler single shot crack barrel master blaster encore i carry extra in a leather shell holder in my pocket. Holds 5 rounds.

If you think you’re gonna be in a flurry, take it out and have it handy.

Reminds me of ,y younger days, guy i hunted with carried a double barrel shotgun. On deer drives he carried 2 extra rounds between his fingers.

No mistaking when he showered down with 4 shots.
Posted By: hanco Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/05/19
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Originally Posted by renegade50
Fugg...
Got up took 3 or 4 steps

Had ta give up.

I hear ya! Lesson learned.

I got tired of losing deer because they left my property when tracking so me and the boy started shooting them directly in the shoulders several years back and we have recovered everyone since(knock on wood). We are wasting more meat for sure but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes! Occasionally they even require a 2nd shot but at least they don’t go anywhere and we get the opportunity to put them down for good. I’ve had too many double lunged deer run a good ways and leave my little 80ac patch that we had to make the adjustment.

I hunt by the property line, I shoulder shoot too. If they jump the fence, they are gone.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/05/19
A grab & go rifle, a truck gun, many reasons to have rifle & ammo, plus maybe a couple other do dads in one place. I like the concept & its been handy for me a few times.
Elastic stuff hasn't served me, a zippered pouch does a better job.
Posted By: aalf Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/05/19
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Reminds me of ,y younger days, guy i hunted with carried a double barrel shotgun. On deer drives he carried 2 extra rounds between his fingers.

Similar story, a couple old farts around here years ago would be driving all over God's creation road hunting for pheasants every fall.

Whenever you met them on the road the driver would flash a wave with a 12 gauge round betwixt his fingers.
I don't like them on the butt stock, prefer to keep extras in my pocket. They get wet in the rain and it's not overly comfortable for those times you have to shoot from the wrong shoulder.
Im primarily a coyote hunter, but chase a deer now and again. No matter what Im after, my ritual is always the same, had the habit for 40 years and it has never changed...….three down in the magazine, five in front pocket of my Wrangler jeans.
I use them, but don't recall ever needing to use a center-fire cartridge, only shotgun shells from the elastic carriers on Savage 24 combination guns. I don't leave them on wooden stocks year 'round, just on synthetic stocks.
god made left shirt pockets just for this reason....
Posted By: Deans Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/05/19
I use one of these.

https://triadtactical.com/triad-modular-stock-pack/
Originally Posted by jnyork

Indeed!! One shot should do it, otherwise you need more range time.

I have heard that before.
Enjoyed the hell out of it when the goat rope rope circus came to town.
Three different baggy types, two with elk, ended up begging rounds
and finishing an elk. Lucky help was available.

The other was...a turkey.
Guy only needed 1 round, he took 3.
Knocked it down, a couple times.
Chased it until he couldnt chase anymore.

I always like,
More power,
More money,
More ammo,
More clothes than I need.
Don't have to use them.
F'd if you need them and don't have them.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Gun buttstock shellholders - 12/05/19
I bought one of these for a Savage 24V 30-30/12 gauge, was able to get one in LH.
I like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YIXG2HU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I normally carry my spares in a stripper clip in my pocket. If I'm using my Israeli Mauser I could even feed straight from the clip into the mag - but this never happens while out hunting but I am hopeful of running into a mob of pigs one day to give it a go. I can pull as many rounds as I need at the time from the clip and it works for 308, 8mm, 30/06 etc sized rounds. They stop the rattle of loose rounds in the pocket.

When I used to shoot Big Game Rifle matches I'd use a butt-stock ammo pouch on my left forearm to hold those rounds needed to complete that match event - works great for bolt guns and doubles without scopes.

My son uses one of these. Good option for coyote hunting, etc. so don't let all the poo-pooers stop you from trying one out.
[Linked Image]

Attached picture Plenty.jpg
© 24hourcampfire