Home
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Dug Another One Out - 12/06/19
My 1957, .308 Winchester, “pre-mil,” Savage 99F, with Leupold 1.75 - 6 power Vari-X III. Nice crisp 3.5 lb trigger. With Winchester, round nose, 180 grain Power Points, it was putting them all inside 2 inches at 100 yards from the bench from a hot barrel, and just over an inch from a cold barrel. No group position change as the barrel heated, though. Just a slight spread.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/06/19
You have some nice stuff TRH
Thanks.
Posted By: satir Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/06/19
kid stuff. Can you start with it horizontally across your knees and in 1.5 second, shoulder it and hit a pie plate at 50m, 4x out of 5 tries?
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/06/19
Nice rifle!

I just can't shoot many rounds at paper w/ a 99 in .308.

Kickin'est rifle I ever had! wink
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nice rifle!

After a few mags full, I put on my PAST shoulder pad.
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Originally Posted by satir
kid stuff. Can you start with it horizontally across your knees and in 1.5 second, shoulder it and hit a pie plate at 50m, 4x out of 5 tries?

Meth is bad, ya know...

Had all that down when I was a young man. I'm a pretty good off hand shot. Just getting some guns out of the safe that have been in there for years, and rechecking their accuracy potential.
Posted By: longarm Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
I thought this was going to be a tick thread..
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
My 1957, .308 Winchester, Savage 99C with Leupold 1.75 - 6 power Vari-X III. Nice crisp 3.5 lb trigger. With Winchester 180 grain Power Points, it was putting them all inside 2 inches at 100 yards from the bench from a hot barrel, and just over an inch from a cold barrel. No group position change as the barrel heated, though. Just a slight spread.

[Linked Image]

Darn nice rifle.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
TRH, Nice rifle.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19

Have you tried counseling?
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
It's surprising how well a lever rifle with a 2 piece stock can shoot. Conventional wisdom about what makes a rifle accurate doesn't seem to apply to Savage 99's.

Considering how they're constructed, they shouldn't be appreciably more accurate than a Model 94,.....but they are.

I recall the story of the Mad Trapper. When they tracked him down, the Mountie (I think it was a Mountie) saw him from a distance and saw that he was armed with a lever action rifle. The Mountie though he was out of range for anybody armed with a lever rifle, so he casually took aim at him with his Lee Enfield.

While he was getting set, the Mad Trapped shot the schitt out of him with a his 30-30 '99.
Posted By: hanco Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
99’s are fine. I have a few, nothing like some of the other guys on here. I didn’t discover them until about two years ago. I can’t believe how accurate they are!
Posted By: broomd Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Beauty!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Nice firearm there hawk. But a 3.5# trigger? 😳😳
Good gawd.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's surprising how well a lever rifle with a 2 piece stock can shoot. Conventional wisdom about what makes a rifle accurate doesn't seem to apply to Savage 99's.

Considering how they're constructed, they shouldn't be appreciably more accurate than a Model 94,.....but they are.

I recall the story of the Mad Trapper. When they tracked him down, the Mountie (I think it was a Mountie) saw him from a distance and saw that he was armed with a lever action rifle. The Mountie thought he was out of range for anybody armed with a lever rifle, so he casually took aim at him with his Lee Enfield.

While he was getting set, the Mad Trapper shot the schitt out of him with a his 30-30 '99.

LOL. Great story.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Good gawd.

Well, that's what RCBS Trigger Pull Scale says. Feels quite light to pull, though. More than light enough for me, anyway.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Nice!!!

I recall the story of the Mad Trapper. When they tracked him down, the Mountie (I think it was a Mountie) saw him from a distance and saw that he was armed with a lever action rifle. The Mountie thought he was out of range for anybody armed with a lever rifle, so he casually took aim at him with his Lee Enfield.

While he was getting set, the Mad Trapper shot the schitt out of him with a his 30-30 '99.

LOL. Great story.

Fast forward to 32:30 and listen.

Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Another nice rig. 👍

I haven’t seen very many 99’s that don’t shoot well. I bought one years ago in .300 Savage and it was an older one but it had been put away wet and dirty which trashed it. I took a draw file to the receiver because it was pitted so bad that it looked like worms had eaten through the metal. After getting it cleaned up, bead blasted, re-blued and refinished the wood I was extremely proud of how well it turned out, it was beautiful except for a pitted bore. The bore could best be described as very rough. 😁. Despite its sordid history of neglect that damn rifle shot 150’s and 180’s into an inch or less. It didn’t care what brand or weight or style, it shot them all incredibly well.

LOL. Great story.

Reminds me of a Charles Bronson movie.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Another nice rig. 👍

I haven’t seen very many 99’s that don’t shoot well. I bought one years ago in .300 Savage and it was an older one but it had been put away wet and dirty which trashed it. I took a draw file to the receiver because it was pitted so bad that it looked like worms had eaten through the metal. After getting it cleaned up, bead blasted, re-blued and refinished the wood I was extremely proud of how well it turned out, it was beautiful except for a pitted bore. The bore could best be described as very rough. 😁. Despite its sordid history of neglect that damn rifle shot 150’s and 180’s into an inch or less. It didn’t care what brand or weight or style, it shot them all incredibly well.

I was actually looking for one in .300 Savage when I came across this one.
[/quote]

Yeah,....I don't know what that guy was thinking. I'm not a great shot, but I've spent quite a bit of time piddlin' with rifles.

270 yards isn't out of rifle range for anybody who is familiar with rifles. That Mountie mentioned that he had been trained to put shots in a foot circle at 300 yards with a .303. He seemed to think that was exceptional.

It's not,....as he found out,..the hard way.
The club I used to belong to had a steel plate gong hung at at 300 yards.

I'm far from being an exceptional rifle shooter,....but I could take an FN FAL with a 3-9X40 scope and empty a 20 round mag on it in less than a minute.

300 yards ain't nearly far enough to be away from somebody with a good rifle. If he's played with it very much,..he'll fug you up with it at 300 yards.
Posted By: viking Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Very nice specimen.

Ya know, you can’t kill deer with a 2 inch gun at 101 yards plus, yeah I read it on the internet.
Originally Posted by viking
Very nice specimen.

Ya know, you can’t kill deer with a 2 inch gun at 101 yards plus, yeah I read it on the internet.
LOL. No doubt.

The first two shots I fired from the gun today, from a cold barrel, were touching each other (almost in the same hole). The next one was about an inch away, center to center. After that, they started spreading a little, and it settled at about 1.9" being typical from a hot barrel.
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Evening, Bill here, the Mountie was on front page challenge show on tv. He said he thought he was safe at that distance until he got hit in the knee with a bullet. They had to put him on a travois to haul him back. Read the book, watched the 3 movies about him. The book of course is the best. They only got him by using the airplane to find him, & then they surrounded him opened fire and killed him. I think? I'm gona half to get the book again, the movies of course let him get away but it did not end well for him.
That's what I recall but sometimes the memory is good but my recall button sticks a little. I'm out. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
Posted By: acy Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19

LOL. Great story.

Great story.......unless you were the Mountie. Lol. By the way TRH, you have some really nice rifles.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Originally Posted by ironbender
Good gawd.

Well, that's what RCBS Trigger Pull Scale says. Feels quite light to pull, though. More than light enough for me, anyway.

How it feels is prime. Maybe the guage is off.

Still purty.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Very nice Savage.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
My 1957, .308 Winchester, Savage 99C with Leupold 1.75 - 6 power Vari-X III. Nice crisp 3.5 lb trigger. With Winchester 180 grain Power Points, it was putting them all inside 2 inches at 100 yards from the bench from a hot barrel, and just over an inch from a cold barrel. No group position change as the barrel heated, though. Just a slight spread.

[Linked Image]

I don’t mean to be a prick, but I believe that is a model 99F. A nice one at that.
Posted By: hanco Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Originally Posted by gregintenn

[Linked Image]

I don’t mean to be a prick, but I believe that is a model 99F. A nice one at that.

I was wondering about that too. What year did they start making the C model?
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
That IS a beautiful rifle, nice caliber too.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19

LOL. Great story.

Nice rifle!

The Bronson movie was titled, "Death Hunt", and it was based on the Mad Trapper story.

I have one Savage 99 w/ 'Perch Belly' butt-stock in 250/3000, circa 1917 per serial numbers.

Never have seen many of them in any caliber around my area for some reason.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Originally Posted by joken2

LOL. Great story.

Nice rifle!

The Bronson movie was titled, "Death Hunt", and it was based on the Mad Trapper story.

I have one Savage 99 w/ 'Perch Belly' butt-stock in 250/3000, circa 1917 per serial numbers.

Yep. Death Hunt was a great movie!
Posted By: joken2 Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19

Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by joken2

LOL. Great story.

Nice rifle!

Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19

[Linked Image]

A real beauty TRH. I've been working on my neighbor trying to get her to sell me her Mod 99 .300 Savage that she inherited. It is a real beauty as well.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

It's not one that seems to get much acclaim but I really dig movies like that. In fact, I'd dub it my favorite Bronson movie.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
My Dad recently gave me his old 99E in .300 Savage but the stock doesn't look near a pretty as yours.

You inspire me to do something about that.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Very nice rifle. Wish they had been popular in my home in South Georgia. I've never handled one, actually don't think I've seen one in person.

Maybe that will change.

g

I just looked at it, and it only says 99. I guess I Just assumed it was a C. Just researched it, and apparently the C started in the 1960s and had box mags. Mine has a fixed, internal, rotary magazine.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Nice one. I would be very happy with that setup and it's performance.
I don't have a need to shoot 3 buzzards in flight at 50m through their eyes behind my back when a whistle sounds.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
And here I thought this was another political tin foil thread.
It's a pre-mil (pre-one-million serial number), too. I used to know that was important (like pre-64 with Winchester long arms, and pre-83 with S&W revolvers), but just relearned it (sorta) by checking out our own Savage Collectors forum. Got reminded of it, anyway. I had forgotten about that factor being important.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Nice rifle!

I've got a 99F in .300 savage, sweet shooting rifle. I've got a LNIB 99C in .308 and have a hard time keeping the scope from moving in the rings. Hardest damn kicking rifle I own in anything less than a .45-70 or .405. Kind of glad to see it's not common only to me.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
I had a .308 in the little Remington Model 7. It was not a fun plinker!! smile
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Nice rifle!

I've got a 99F in .300 savage, sweet shooting rifle. I've got a LNIB 99C in .308 and have a hard time keeping the scope from moving in the rings. Hardest damn kicking rifle I own in anything less than a .45-70 or .405. Kind of glad to see it's not common only to me.

That's a common theme with the 99 rifles and .308 over at the Savage Collectors forum. I didn't feel any discomfort at all for the first mag full from the bench. On the second mag full, I started to notice the discomfort. After about the fourth mag full, I pulled out my PAST shoulder pad, and continued shooting without pain. From the bench, for extended shooting, this thing needs it. The .308 Winchester is a good bit more powerful and higher pressure than the .300 Savage, by all accounts.

Too bad some manufacturer doesn't download some of their .308 Winchester to equal the .300 Savage, for those who object to the recoil. If you handload, I guess you could match it, no problem.
Posted By: rte Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19

Cool rifle TRH.
Posted By: tscott Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Still have the Weaver k-5 on my `55 99f .300 sav. Great accurate rifle. I want to put on a more modern scope..... Suggestions?
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19

I just looked at it, and it only says 99. I guess I Just assumed it was a C. Just researched it, and apparently the C started in the 1960s and had box mags. Mine has a fixed, internal, rotary magazine.

Are you certain that there is no 99F stamped on the right side of the barrel near the receiver? The 1950s era Fs I've looked at are stamped as such.

Not saying you are wrong, just curious. Savage Collectors have a saying: "Never say never" when referring to Savage 99s.
Originally Posted by carbon12

Are you certain that there is no 99F stamped on the right side of the barrel near the receiver? The 1950s era Fs I've looked at are stamped as such.

Not saying you are wrong, just curious. Savage Collectors have a saying: "Never say never" when referring to Savage 99s.

Yep. Found it. Elsewhere it just says 99, but where you indicated, it does indeed say 99F.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
I went to a collector show when I was looking for a deer rifle for my son and a guy walked by with a very nice 99 over his shoulder. I remarked that it was a good looking EG and he said no, it is an F. Even better I thought. At the time I was slightly bummed that it was a .300 instead of a .308. Not anymore now that I've shot it. It is a pre-mil 1957, shoots and comes up well and I really like that rounded receiver for a one handed carry. I used it this last deer season to neck shoot this year's venison with a 180 grain round nose Core-Lokt. Wish they still offered that bullet for the .300 Savage. DRT.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Nice rifle!

I will second that. Mine was miserable to shoot until I changed the angle on the butt stock. Much more pleasant now.
Posted By: efw Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Very nice looking rifle there!
The prototype of the Savage 99 was entered into the same military trials that was won by the Krag-Jorgensen rifle. Obviously, it didn't win the contract. Perhaps the 99 would have, though.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
45 100

What was the angle change you made?
How much. which direction?

My ex's father had one in thirty thirty and likely few rounds fired through it.
I always wished I had it.
Even more so since I now sling a lot of cast projies.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
My 1957, .308 Winchester, “pre-mil,” Savage 99F, with Leupold 1.75 - 6 power Vari-X III. Nice crisp 3.5 lb trigger. With Winchester, round nose, 180 grain Power Points, it was putting them all inside 2 inches at 100 yards from the bench from a hot barrel, and just over an inch from a cold barrel. No group position change as the barrel heated, though. Just a slight spread.

[Linked Image]

What is your load?
Or are you shooting factory?
Have the same exact rifle, Factory Rem Cor-loks are still the most accurate out of mine, and have not topped them off the loading bench.
Originally Posted by Barkoff

What is your load?.

Winchester, round nose, 180 grain Power Points, factory load.

I'll have to give the Cor-Lokt a try. What weight bullet?
Posted By: RichardAustin Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
Hawk you need to spend more time looking thru that safe, great looking gun, and a shooter too.
Posted By: rte Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/07/19
ttt
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Hawk you need to spend more time looking thru that safe, great looking gun, and a shooter too.

For many years now, I've been focusing my range time on the guns that I carry, almost exclusively. It recently occurred to me, however, that I'm not going to live forever, and I need to start digging some of these guns out and shoot them just for the hell of it.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Dug Another One Out - 12/08/19
Originally Posted by LouisB
45 100

What was the angle change you made?
How much. which direction?

My ex's father had one in thirty thirty and likely few rounds fired through it.
I always wished I had it.
Even more so since I now sling a lot of cast projies.

Sorry I haven't checked back on this post for a few days. My dad was somewhat of a gunsmith we stood the rifle against the wall with the barrel parallel to the wall. Only the top corner of the buttstock touched the floor. The heel of the stock was about an inch off the floor. If that make sense. We cut the stock so it was more or less perpindicular to the barrel so the shooter absorbed the recoil all across the butt of the stock, not just the top corner. If this doesn't make sense PM me and I will give you my phone number.
© 24hourcampfire