Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Another nice rig. šŸ‘

I havenā€™t seen very many 99ā€™s that donā€™t shoot well. I bought one years ago in .300 Savage and it was an older one but it had been put away wet and dirty which trashed it. I took a draw file to the receiver because it was pitted so bad that it looked like worms had eaten through the metal. After getting it cleaned up, bead blasted, re-blued and refinished the wood I was extremely proud of how well it turned out, it was beautiful except for a pitted bore. The bore could best be described as very rough. šŸ˜. Despite its sordid history of neglect that damn rifle shot 150ā€™s and 180ā€™s into an inch or less. It didnā€™t care what brand or weight or style, it shot them all incredibly well.

ļæ½Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.ļæ½ ļæ½General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
It's surprising how well a lever rifle with a 2 piece stock can shoot. Conventional wisdom about what makes a rifle accurate doesn't seem to apply to Savage 99's.

Considering how they're constructed, they shouldn't be appreciably more accurate than a Model 94,.....but they are.

I recall the story of the Mad Trapper. When they tracked him down, the Mountie (I think it was a Mountie) saw him from a distance and saw that he was armed with a lever action rifle. The Mountie thought he was out of range for anybody armed with a lever rifle, so he casually took aim at him with his Lee Enfield.

While he was getting set, the Mad Trapper shot the schitt out of him with a his 30-30 '99.

LOL. Great story.

Fast forward to 32:30 and listen.

Reminds me of a Charles Bronson movie.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Another nice rig. šŸ‘

I havenā€™t seen very many 99ā€™s that donā€™t shoot well. I bought one years ago in .300 Savage and it was an older one but it had been put away wet and dirty which trashed it. I took a draw file to the receiver because it was pitted so bad that it looked like worms had eaten through the metal. After getting it cleaned up, bead blasted, re-blued and refinished the wood I was extremely proud of how well it turned out, it was beautiful except for a pitted bore. The bore could best be described as very rough. šŸ˜. Despite its sordid history of neglect that damn rifle shot 150ā€™s and 180ā€™s into an inch or less. It didnā€™t care what brand or weight or style, it shot them all incredibly well.

I was actually looking for one in .300 Savage when I came across this one.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
[/quote]

Yeah,....I don't know what that guy was thinking. I'm not a great shot, but I've spent quite a bit of time piddlin' with rifles.

270 yards isn't out of rifle range for anybody who is familiar with rifles. That Mountie mentioned that he had been trained to put shots in a foot circle at 300 yards with a .303. He seemed to think that was exceptional.

It's not,....as he found out,..the hard way.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The club I used to belong to had a steel plate gong hung at at 300 yards.

I'm far from being an exceptional rifle shooter,....but I could take an FN FAL with a 3-9X40 scope and empty a 20 round mag on it in less than a minute.

300 yards ain't nearly far enough to be away from somebody with a good rifle. If he's played with it very much,..he'll fug you up with it at 300 yards.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Very nice specimen.

Ya know, you canā€™t kill deer with a 2 inch gun at 101 yards plus, yeah I read it on the internet.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by viking
Very nice specimen.

Ya know, you canā€™t kill deer with a 2 inch gun at 101 yards plus, yeah I read it on the internet.
LOL. No doubt.

The first two shots I fired from the gun today, from a cold barrel, were touching each other (almost in the same hole). The next one was about an inch away, center to center. After that, they started spreading a little, and it settled at about 1.9" being typical from a hot barrel.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evening, Bill here, the Mountie was on front page challenge show on tv. He said he thought he was safe at that distance until he got hit in the knee with a bullet. They had to put him on a travois to haul him back. Read the book, watched the 3 movies about him. The book of course is the best. They only got him by using the airplane to find him, & then they surrounded him opened fire and killed him. I think? I'm gona half to get the book again, the movies of course let him get away but it did not end well for him.
That's what I recall but sometimes the memory is good but my recall button sticks a little. I'm out. šŸ¾šŸ‘£šŸ¾šŸ‘£šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It's surprising how well a lever rifle with a 2 piece stock can shoot. Conventional wisdom about what makes a rifle accurate doesn't seem to apply to Savage 99's.

Considering how they're constructed, they shouldn't be appreciably more accurate than a Model 94,.....but they are.

I recall the story of the Mad Trapper. When they tracked him down, the Mountie (I think it was a Mountie) saw him from a distance and saw that he was armed with a lever action rifle. The Mountie thought he was out of range for anybody armed with a lever rifle, so he casually took aim at him with his Lee Enfield.

While he was getting set, the Mad Trapper shot the schitt out of him with a his 30-30 '99.

LOL. Great story.

Great story.......unless you were the Mountie. Lol. By the way TRH, you have some really nice rifles.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender
Nice firearm there hawk. But a 3.5# trigger? šŸ˜³šŸ˜³
Good gawd.

Well, that's what RCBS Trigger Pull Scale says. Feels quite light to pull, though. More than light enough for me, anyway.

How it feels is prime. Maybe the guage is off.

Still purty.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice Savage.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My 1957, .308 Winchester, Savage 99C with Leupold 1.75 - 6 power Vari-X III. Nice crisp 3.5 lb trigger. With Winchester 180 grain Power Points, it was putting them all inside 2 inches at 100 yards from the bench from a hot barrel, and just over an inch from a cold barrel. No group position change as the barrel heated, though. Just a slight spread.

[Linked Image]

I donā€™t mean to be a prick, but I believe that is a model 99F. A nice one at that.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by gregintenn
My 1957, .308 Winchester, Savage 99C with Leupold 1.75 - 6 power Vari-X III. Nice crisp 3.5 lb trigger. With Winchester 180 grain Power Points, it was putting them all inside 2 inches at 100 yards from the bench from a hot barrel, and just over an inch from a cold barrel. No group position change as the barrel heated, though. Just a slight spread.

[Linked Image]

I donā€™t mean to be a prick, but I believe that is a model 99F. A nice one at that.

I was wondering about that too. What year did they start making the C model?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That IS a beautiful rifle, nice caliber too.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

LOL. Great story.

Nice rifle!

The Bronson movie was titled, "Death Hunt", and it was based on the Mad Trapper story.

I have one Savage 99 w/ 'Perch Belly' butt-stock in 250/3000, circa 1917 per serial numbers.

Never have seen many of them in any caliber around my area for some reason.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by joken2

LOL. Great story.

Nice rifle!

The Bronson movie was titled, "Death Hunt", and it was based on the Mad Trapper story.

I have one Savage 99 w/ 'Perch Belly' butt-stock in 250/3000, circa 1917 per serial numbers.

Yep. Death Hunt was a great movie!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by joken2

LOL. Great story.

Nice rifle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

A real beauty TRH. I've been working on my neighbor trying to get her to sell me her Mod 99 .300 Savage that she inherited. It is a real beauty as well.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." ā€“ Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

It's not one that seems to get much acclaim but I really dig movies like that. In fact, I'd dub it my favorite Bronson movie.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Dad recently gave me his old 99E in .300 Savage but the stock doesn't look near a pretty as yours.

You inspire me to do something about that.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (12344mag, 270cowboy, 1lesfox, 44mc, 35, 10Glocks, 17 invisible), 1,095 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,846
Posts18,517,426
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.