Home
https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york...4CBYAYseGisrVdsigaAjsQALdRLiV9KH8XnZB_Ak

Remember the banana duct-taped to a wall and labeled “art” that sold for $120,000? On Saturday, a New York man walked up to the art installation and ate the banana.

The banana art, titled "Comedian," was the work of Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan. It's a part of Emmanuel Perrotin’s outer gallery wall at Art Basel in Miami Beach. The piece sold for $120,000 to a French art collector.

Around 1:45 p.m. in front of a convention center full of art lovers, New York-based performance artist David Datuna ate the banana, gallery representatives told the Miami Herald.

He called it "Hungry Artist."
Yes, but...

The work came with a Certificate of Authenticity, and a disclaimer that owners may replace the banana as needed.
You can buy new duct tape and bananas as needed. You don't need to insure the 'art'. Buying a new banana is cheaper than the insurance premiums.
Huh, guess I just don’t get “art.”
Art Basel brings out all the nutters. I usually try to be out of Miami during the event. Traffic is just horrible.
lol, the guy who had the stones to eat it is a "performance artist". that could mean a lot of things, including 90% unemployed. but, glad he snagged a free snack. the next one they tape up will look very much the same, I would think.
Steelhead used to tell us "People are phuggers".

It is becoming obvious that a lot of them are STUPID phuggers/

$120K for a banana, and they sold three of them? Were they raising money for the wicked witch and her nest POTUS election run?
What sane person would buy "art" made out of a perishable food stuff?
The fruiterer, er, artist, was no fool. He made $300k selling 3 bananas and put out no effort doing it. The fools are the buyers. What I would like to know is how much he deducts for expenses on his taxes.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Steelhead used to tell us "People are phuggers".

It is becoming obvious that a lot of them are STUPID phuggers/

$120K for a banana, and they sold three of them? Were they raising money for the wicked witch and her nest POTUS election run?

He still says that, as "Girlhunter"
It's as good as anything Jackson Pollack ever did.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Art Basel brings out all the nutters. I usually try to be out of Miami during the event. Traffic is just horrible.

It's no wonder Democrats can find voters.........
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

If you even know who or what "art basel" is then you are one of the nutters too.

I can proudly say NEVER HEARD OF IT.

just like you do about lynyrd skynrd, foghot, etc, even though you were 25-30 yrs old when all that was out. Maybe you were doing the art basel thing then.

I’m a huge art fan. Most of this is conspicuous consumption (pun intended) though and deserves to be ridiculed.
I've never been to Burning Man, but I've read that it's along the same lines.
I'd bet there was no shortage of men (?) at that art exhibition who enjoy eating the banana.
Burning man would be badass.

don't think there's be as many old tea sipping phags or bananas taped to walls at burning man
Some art is truly in the eye of the beholder, I guess. My daughter once visited the national art gallery in Ottawa with her class. At one point, she noticed a shovel leaned up against the wall. She thought a workman had just misplaced his shovel until she noticed the little placard above the shovel. Now, I said I couldn't really see what was so artistic about an abandoned shovel and she told me it wasn't just the shovel but the act of abandonment, with the shovel left, leaning against the wall like it was. It was then that I had an epiphany and came to the realization that I was not just the lazy bum my wife has labeled me; I'm a freakin' artist! I've leaned up a lot of shovels in a lot of places; not just shovels either. I've leaned rakes, hoes, prybars, pruning saws, rifles, shotguns; if it could be leaned, I've leaned it.
If it is the act of abandonment, well, hell, I've abandoned everything from tools to articals of clothing. In many cases, I've done it so well the item has never again been seen.
This raises another question; if art can't be found to be seen, is it still art? I like to think so. GD
Then a sack of kittens hanging in a tree limb just short of the river below the bridge would be very moving in an exhibit.

Abandonment-interrupted
Originally Posted by greydog
Some art is truly in the eye of the beholder, I guess. My daughter once visited the national art gallery in Ottawa with her class. At one point, she noticed a shovel leaned up against the wall. She thought a workman had just misplaced his shovel until she noticed the little placard above the shovel. Now, I said I couldn't really see what was so artistic about an abandoned shovel and she told me it wasn't just the shovel but the act of abandonment, with the shovel left, leaning against the wall like it was. It was then that I had an epiphany and came to the realization that I was not just the lazy bum my wife has labeled me; I'm a freakin' artist! I've leaned up a lot of shovels in a lot of places; not just shovels either. I've leaned rakes, hoes, prybars, pruning saws, rifles, shotguns; if it could be leaned, I've leaned it.
If it is the act of abandonment, well, hell, I've abandoned everything from tools to articals of clothing. In many cases, I've done it so well the item has never again been seen.
This raises another question; if art can't be found to be seen, is it still art? I like to think so. GD
Eureka! The pitchfork I left stuck in a manure pile is worth 5 times my annual social security! I just need to put up a little sign calling it "Lazy old man".
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

$120K for a banana, and they sold three of them? Were they raising money for the wicked witch and her next POTUS election run?

My thoughts exactly.
I remember one during the Reagan era when he was going to cut dollars for the Natl Endowment for the Arts.

someone put a little indian doll in a pickle jar then pissed in till it was full. Called it "Piss Indian"
Wait my bad, my memory fails me, It was called Piss Christ

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ
So if I tape a banana to the wall is that some kind of copyright infringement?
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Not if you use colored duct tape.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

That's racist.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

That's racist.

So are bananas. They're yellow skinned.
Stxhunter: That is funny!
I had not heard that.
I wonder if he will be prosecuted and have to pay "restitution" (buy a new banana!).
Sheesh - the world has gone crazy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Seems art today is more bullshit than not. Like art, of the old masters, of something real vs nutty stuff.
Same as movies about something real with actors that could act vs psycho idiots sorrounded with special effects.
Art has always been controversial. Some of the stuff they've found painted on brothels during the excavation of Pompeii has been pretty raunchy. They painted pictures of the house specialties.
Then came Picasso with his weird stuff. At least those guys did something constructive. Some of the stuff now is just plain idiotic.
Calling schitt like that “Art” is beyond STUPID!
Art has always been controversial. Some of the stuff they've found painted on brothels during the excavation of Pompeii has been pretty raunchy. They painted pictures of the house specialties.
Then came Picasso with his weird stuff. At least those guys did something constructive. Some of the stuff now is just plain idiotic.

That’s stupid
Looks to me like some elaborate money laundering scam. JMHO.
© 24hourcampfire