Home

Notice numerous used Leupolds in the free classifieds and for sale online. Sellers what are you replacing them with? New Leupolds or new other brands? GW
Sightron SII 3-9X42,s.....
Got 4 of em, all the same reticle and lock ring ocular.
Consistency.....
They HZ, RTZ, adjust per stated value, good mid range glass.
Used leupolds since I was 16 in 1979 up till early 2017.

Missed out on a Sightron Big Sky 6x42 on the classifieds yesterday.

Sonofabytch.............

Seller went down to 200 bucks on a offer.
I drug my feet looking at it.
Came back.
IT WAS GONE!!!!

fugg, fugg, fugg, fugging fugg!!!!!!

If Swfa would come out with a hunter version of their 3-9x42
Like their 2.5-10x32
They would sell alot I bet.

Dont need a dailer.
Dont need a busy reticle.
I gave up on Leupolds in 1998. I own one now of my 20+ scopes, the remainder are Swarovski.
Still buying Leupolds along with Vortex.
I never had any, bushnell 4200,4500,elite,6500 for me
nothing they all work fine.
So far it has been Burris for me.
Leupolds are just about the only scopes on my guns that bear scopes.
I have a couple Leupolds on varmint rifles. They work. I have Swapped the Leupolds on my big game rifles for Nightforce. I started turning turrets and the Leupolds weren’t cutting it.
I have also trimmed my safe down to the couple rifles I actually use. The $ went toward the glass. The SHV Line is comparable in price anyway, but I have 2.5-10x32’s on my rifles. Bombproof and boringly repeatable so far. I couldn’t care less what anyone else uses, it is purely what works for you and your application.
I haven't intentionally replaced any Leupolds but Meopta/Burris is getting more of my money
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Leupolds are just about the only scopes on my guns that bare scopes.

+1, no problems with Leupold from me.
I still have Leupolds, but no recent purchases.

NF SHV 3-10x40 Forceplex is my latest one.

DF
I just started buying Nikons. laugh
I can't replace what I don't have.
Lyman receiver sights.
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Yeah, no kidding.

Been satisfied enough with Burris lately myself. Had good luck with my personal Leupolds.
Replacing my Leupolds? Hell, I just now moved up to Leupold territory. Got my first VX 3i 3.5-10x40 off the little brown truck last week.

Be nice to us bottom feeders.
No reason to replace something not broke.
Tasco,

the money I save goes into

jelly beans

Geno

PS, there might be a new Simmons in the offing too.
I have not had to replace Leupolds except the one my Son dropped out of a tree stand
I quit buying Leupold after 2 failures of then top of the line LPS. I started buying Zeus Conquest and later migrated to Swarovski. I also have and like a Trijicon Accupoint
More Leupolds.
Sold some extra Leupolds but didn't replace them per se. Bought one Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 just to try it and liked it, if I need another set and forget variable I'll probably go with those. Bought some fixed power SWFA SS 30mm scopes for dialing.
I’ve not replaced any of the about 20 leupolds I own. Have bought a few Zeiss the last year. Both the leupolds and Zeiss work well for me.
Nightforce 2.5-10x32 and 42's and SWFA 3-9x42's.

I still have 4 1" tube Leupold tacticals. A couple of Vari-XIII 3.5-10's and a couple VXII 3-9's with target turrets. I like them and they are dependable.

LRHS/LRTS's here.... Only 2 leupolds left, and one is going to be sold soon....

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]
I have a number of Leupolds but haven't bought any for a few years. More recent purchases include Burris and SWFA.
More Leupolds, and I own Zeiss, Swaroskvi and S&B.
I still buy and use Leupolds. When I can't find a model I'm looking for, I'll try to find a 1980's vintage Redfield or Burris. Most of my rifles are older and have polished, blued steel. I prefer the look of a blued rifle scope on them, rather than the dull, matte finish on 99% of the scores manufactured today. I've never had a problem with a scope of any of these 3 companies.
I still have a few, but have replaced many of them with Swarovski.

Wasn’t there something on the Fire about Nikon getting out of the riflescope business.

Or did I dream that? May be a good idea to do a search before going too far in that direction.

DF
I've owned nothing but Leupold Vari-XII's since 1974, never had a problem with any of them.
With the exception of a couple red dots, every scope that I have is a Leupold. I expect it to stay that way.
Nightforce NXS's, have a few SWFA SS's on the less used rifles. Only one Leopold fixed 4x remains on a kid's .22lr.
Nothing..
I'm liking Zeiss V4 and V6 scopes.
Zeiss and Meopta work for me.
I didn't know they were missing.
I'll never replace them....there's no reason to.
Been using them (Leupold scopes and other optics!) with great success, and to an EXTREME amount, since 1965!
NOTHING is replacing my go to Leupold Rifle scopes, spotting scopes, binoculars and compass's!
PERIOD!
I give as much respect to the few Leupold bashers on this site as I do to lawn fudge.
In fact, I had a great trip to the range today, with a Leupold scoped Rifle.
Long live Leupold & Stevens - a fine AMERICAN Company.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
New Leupolds--
Posted By: efw Re: Whats replacing your Leupolds? - 12/10/19
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

^ yep
Maybe I just live a charmed life. No issues with any of my Leupolds. So, not "replacing" any Leupolds. However, have picked up a couple fixed power Swarovski's with #4 reticles. Also a couple Lyman receiver sights.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Ditto
Nothing yet.
I own and will continue to own a large number of Leupolds. That said, for filling tags, I've picked up 1/2dz Nightforce either 3-10x42 SHV or 2.5-10x42 NXS.
Nikon
Still buy leupold fixed powers, used mostly, and some vari-x 2-7’s. But otherwise, and more so, a smattering of everyone else, new and used, any and all pricepoints, depends on the task.
I have not found anything to replace their smaller compact scopes like the 4X, 2-7, 1-4, 1.5-5, 2.5X etc. I have started replacing the 40mm and larger variables with Zeiss Conquest/Meopta Meopros.
I do not replace them but they are not the only glass I own
More Leupolds
Great thread. I'm looking for a new scope. Several have recommended Leupold in another thread. I've never had one, so no dog in the fight. I have Burris and Zeiss. I'm looking for something smallish and light for a Tikka T3 lite.
I find the Lecia 2.5x10x42 to be the best scope for my needs

Think I am down to one Leupold on my 300 whisper
Posted By: EdM Re: Whats replacing your Leupolds? - 12/11/19
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Ditto.
Meopta
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
More Leupolds

That
Zeiss, S&B. About to pick up a Swarovski for my light rifle.
Still have few doing good service, but have broadened my horizons with other stuff, often whatever I get a good deal on. No sense paying $300 or $400 on something with questionable reliabilty when there's $150 to $200 stuff that offers at least the same. In the past couple of years have picked up SWFA, Hawke, Weaver, and just the other day a Burris 3-9, which may just become the goto model for normal use, as opposed to the old standby V-whatever 2s I used to get almost automatically. Weaver Classics (discontinued, and with uncertain warranties) and FF IIs for $130 make a lot of sense for my use. The new Meoptas look very nice too in the middle-price range.
Originally Posted by hanco
More Leupolds

That

This^^^^.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I didn't know they were missing.

Hahaha. Winner, winner.....

BTW, mine arent missing anything worthwhile either.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Tasco,

the money I save goes into

jelly beans

Geno

PS, there might be a new Simmons in the offing too.

I could try a Tasco. If I could find that pos Simmons I wasted money on for my Win 63 22 squirrel gun you could have the pos. I'd pay postage. Dayom. What did I do with that pos?
Posted By: DMc Re: Whats replacing your Leupolds? - 12/11/19
Match made in heaven...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
nah.....

Jeebus.....who has a night force on a Browning 22? Post it!

Youse guys are nuts!
My buddy buys every World Class Tasco he can find.
Originally Posted by Theeck
With the exception of a couple red dots, every scope that I have is a Leupold. I expect it to stay that way.

Pretty much what's in my safe too.
14 leupolds, 3 zeiss, 2 Weaver's, 3 redfields, 2 burris, 7 SWFA. Leupolds are on most every hunting rifle that goes afield. Never missed a game animal due to a Leupold failure. Sighting in can be tricky, but they've all held zero.
Posted By: DMc Re: Whats replacing your Leupolds? - 12/11/19
Originally Posted by huntsman22
nah.....

At least you made a good gun choice!
My Loupolds work great and are American made. No changes here.
Rolling the dice on a 2.5X10 SWFA Baby Chicken. I hope it doesn’t suck because there’s a M8 dangling in the classifieds I might rather have.
I firmly believe that the Leupold bashers do it because it seems cool to them.... Personally I bought my first Leupold in 1991 or 1992. I now own approx 50 of them and I'm still waiting on my first failure. I'm sure it will happen someday but it hasn't happened yet. And I own them from 2-7 all the way up to the VX6 7-42s. Some I set and forget and some (on my ground hog and long range guns) get adjusted regularly. They track, they repeat, they are dependable, affordable and MADE IN USA. What more can you expect???
Leupold.

Pros:

Bright
Easy to find target
Good price point
Lightweight
Lifetime warranty
Looks good

Cons:
Tracking is hit or miss. Windage is terrible.
Holding zero is hit or miss.
Prone to catastrophic failure.
Nothing.
My three VX 5HD 3-15x44s are working fine on my favorite hunting rifles. And yes I even dial them sometimes.
Would be even better with a real duplex instead of the wide thin POS, but the lit dot helps.
Leupold does everything I need. Been using them for 35 years, no need to change now.
Originally Posted by oldtimer303

Notice numerous used Leupolds in the free classifieds and for sale online. Sellers what are you replacing them with? New Leupolds or new other brands? GW

nightforce, did just buy 5 Vortex strike eagles 4x24x50, 30mm tube for a blow out price, ones I tested so far track better than any of my Leupold 8.5x25 LR, heck of a lot cheaper, bright and clear
Originally Posted by srwshooter
I never had any, bushnell 4200,4500,elite,6500 for me

You been in my safe again?
More Leupolds. They’re getting better all the time. Except for the prices.
More Leupolds. Never had a problem. Been buying Leupolds since 1972.
I have tried replacing Leupolds with:
Sightron SIII............killed some deer, but turret too easy to turn
Nightforce NXS.....killed a deer, but too heavy
Vortex RZR HD.....
Schmidt and Bender PMII P3.............too heavy
Swarovski Z3 BRH.............
Zeiss Conquest HD5..worthless turret, uncharacterized reticle
SWFA ultralight.... actually ok.

But I keep coming back to buying more Leupold VX-6HD..... they get the job done
Two chest freezers full of meat say I'm not changing anything. Loopies for me.
I’m an equal opportunity scope slut. I will run most anything from Sig Whiskey 5’s,
Schmidt Bender, Sightron, Zeiss, Bushnell, Nightforce and SWFA.

My glass fits the conditions I hunt, and the level of importance of the critter.

The Leupold’s I have left are in no danger of being tripped.

😎
I got a Steiner for knob twisting, and probably will be buying a Nightforce SHV for one. Quite honestly though, I have put a Burris on one, a Nikon on one my son broke, and a Primary Arms on an AR. There's a time and place for everything.
usually a Leupold of a different power. range...
3-9x's that sell on here for $150 are a steal
leupold for set them and forget them are great but if your a long range knob twister then your leupold will be off your rifle more than it's on back and forth to leupold, after sending my 8.5x25 LRT back so much went to nightforce
I've owned over 50 Leupolds and the only one I ever returned for failure was one that came to me on a swapped rifle....it had been diddled by a previous owner. Leupold replaced it.

In the old days I used Weaver K4s without complaint. I've also owned B&L, Simmons, Zeiss, Sightron, Minox, and SWFA and maybe a few others. The only one remaining now is a SWFA 10x.

When I change something these days it's an upgrade in Leupold. I went from Vari-X IIs through the -3s and am now moving toward VX-5s. The 2-10s are fine for my big game rifles but I think I could live with 3-15s on everything. I still may delve into Nightforce and upper-end Sightrons and maybe something else one day, but it's hard to say. I've been satisfied with Leupold for a long time, but I do not twist turrets. Never know what the future holds, though.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
3-9x's that sell on here for $150 are a steal

VXIIc is an old skool good’n......

I still wonder how many “pukes” are from stupid schit, misaligned receivers & bases, and ham fisted fasteners.

25# of torque doesn’t “feel” like much.

Anywhoo......
Posted By: JDK Re: Whats replacing your Leupolds? - 12/11/19
In the past, my search started and stopped with finding the best price on the given Leupold I wanted. I doubt I will replace those that have worked well unless something happens. That said, the last three scopes I have bought have been Sightron and Burris (2) and I have been happy. I'm thinking my next scope will be a Meopta.
I am down to just a few rifles that get shot a lot. The safe queens are almost all gone for me. Nightforce NXS are now on my 3 most used rigs. Eventually may replace the 6x SWFA on my beater 30-06 but really no reason. I only consider two brands at this time and those are them. I hunt in the west exclusively and repeatable dialing is my most important scope feature.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Replacing my Leupolds? Hell, I just now moved up to Leupold territory. Got my first VX 3i 3.5-10x40 off the little brown truck last week.

Be nice to us bottom feeders.

I picked up a vx3i a few years ago and thought I was moving up too. My sons older nikon buckmaster is a clearer scope.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Wasn’t there something on the Fire about Nikon getting out of the riflescope business.

Or did I dream that? May be a good idea to do a search before going too far in that direction.

DF
Yep. Good time to get great prices on them.

DF

What's gonna happen to Nikon CS with their scopes?

At least Leupold has great CS. You know they will fix or replace them.

DF

DF

Sent a email to Nikon....they will be honoring there "Life Time Warrantee"
I started using Leupolds in 1964 (12 years old), and have never had one puke.

That being said, I'm not a knob twister.

Presently have 5 Leupolds, and one SWFA SS 10 X 42 on rifles.

Leupold has been good to me.

Virgil B.

DF

What's gonna happen to Nikon CS with their scopes?

At least Leupold has great CS. You know they will fix or replace them.

DF

The funny thing is that the only scopes I have ever had to regularly have repaired were Leupolds! I did take a fall with a varmint rifle and bend the tube on a higher power Monarch which Nikon replaced once about 15 years ago. Leupold warranty reminds me of the movie Tommy Boy.
Do Nikon's break?

I've always had good luck with them.
Do Nikon's break?

I've always had good luck with them.

I had a nikon monarch break on a 700 mountain synthetic 270. That gone had considerable recoil. Shipped off to nikon and had it back in maybe 3 weeks.
On my wood stocked pre 64 M70 I'm still liking leupolds, but on the customized synthetic M70's I have either swaro or kahles scopes.
I had too many issues so I changed all my scopes out to Zeiss. I went with mid-level Zeiss scopes such as the HD5, V4 and V6.

IMHO, these Zeiss models offer the most value in the market. They are simply fantastic and durable. I don’t see myself going with anything else.
This guy is crazy for using a Leupold. And weaver mounts. And wood. And a Mouser.

[Linked Image from nitroexpress.info]
Originally Posted by 16bore
This guy is crazy for using a Leupold. And weaver mounts. And wood. And a Mouser.

I missed where someone said Weaver mounts are not reliable.

That particular Leupold model has a reputation for being solid.

No such thing.

I'm still using a reliable Vari-X IIc however.
Originally Posted by bobinpa
I firmly believe that the Leupold bashers do it because it seems cool to them.... Personally I bought my first Leupold in 1991 or 1992. I now own approx 50 of them and I'm still waiting on my first failure. I'm sure it will happen someday but it hasn't happened yet. And I own them from 2-7 all the way up to the VX6 7-42s. Some I set and forget and some (on my ground hog and long range guns) get adjusted regularly. They track, they repeat, they are dependable, affordable and MADE IN USA. What more can you expect???

I don't bash them in general, but I have had a few needing work. It doesn't seem cool to me since now I have a few scopes I just don't trust like I used to.
I never thought in a million years that I would buy a Vortex for any of my long range guns, bought a vortex strike eagle 4x24x50 and after playing with it alittle and check tracking when back and bought 4 more, the closeout price also had a little to do with it. time will tell how they hold out but heck dont have near the money into them as I would a leupold
Burris 4.5-14 and Sightron SII 4-16
Originally Posted by mathman

No such thing.

I'm still using a reliable Vari-X IIc however.

Yeah..that one. 😉
Originally Posted by mathman

I missed where someone said Weaver mounts are not reliable.

That particular Leupold model has a reputation for being solid.

They’re not tacticool. Come on man, work with me here. Sarcasm font broken today.
I have about a dozen Leupolds acquired over the past 40 years, only one I got rid of was a 1980's Vari-X IIc 2-7 that had distortion in the ocular lens when you would move your eye around. Leupold sent me a new one, but it had the same problem. Ive since had 3-9's and 3.5-10's and 2.5-8's that work perfectly. I have a Nikon Buckmaster on a 22 hornet I picked up and it's ok, bought a Bushnell 3-9 and sent it back because of poor light transmission, and bought a Burris MTac 4.5-14 and sold it because it was too big and heavy and I hated the reticle, although the light transmission was awesome. Bought a VX-3i 3.5-10 for the same money. To my mind, the Leupolds are the lightest, sleekest, smallest, and simplest scopes out there for basic hunting with quality optics in a reasonable price range. I do not shoot past 500 yds, rarely shoot past 300, and do not twist turrets for bdc. I do not want the size or weight of 30mm tubes, or 50mm objectives or 6x magnification range. With the duplex reticle zeroed at 150 yds I hold over 6-12 inches at 300 (depending on the caliber), 18-24 inches at 400, and 36-48 inches at 500. The animals dont seem to mind. I use Butler Creek flip ups exclusively, and have never had a Leupold fail me for water, snow, or ordinary rough handling. I have a couple of the new VX Freedoms but have not hunted them yet. They appear to my exes as bright and clear and well made as any of the other 1" scopes, so I hope not to be disappointed. FWIW.
I'm sneaking internet breaks between reading pages upon pages of exhibits in courthouse documents. I guess my fun tank is running low today. grin
Statements of fact today only for mathman.
I have at least 5 Leupolds on my rifles. Never had a reason to change. The oldest is over 40 years old. None of them have ever let me down in any way.
Replaced 2 of my Leupolds this year. The 257 Weatherby got a VX6 3X18X44. 30.06 got a VX5 2X10X42. Very happy with both! Anticipate using them for years and years.
I am somewhat of a John Barsness groupie so when looking at adding or replacing a scope, I tend to listen to him. smile
Leupolds work for me. Love them. But then I am not a dialer. Straight duplex.

LIKE...😎
Originally Posted by roundoak
I am somewhat of a John Barsness groupie so when looking at adding or replacing a scope, I tend to listen to him. smile

Never heard of him...Grins 😎

Burris huh?

Burris huh?

You been into my gun cabinets?

Burris huh?

You been into my gun cabinets?

I kinda pay attention to what he writes. He seems like he has a little experience.
I know it’s the “thing” here to bitch and belittle Leupold scopes, but I ain’t playing. All that I own wear Leupold and have for years! I’m not changing a thing.
Originally Posted by efw

^ yep

..uhhh... ahem.... :-)
I have used bushnell banner and bushnell scopechiefs with one or two tascos in the mix.
When someone comes out with something better than a 6 x 42 with the LRD reticle for on a plain old huntin' rifle, I'll listen.
Burris compact/mini, FFII, FourX
Bushnell Elite, 3500, 4200
Weaver Grand Slam
SWFA SS now this weekend

If I ever get down to the elusive "just one big-game rifle," then it will have a Nightforce SHV 3-10 Forceplex illuminated.
Don't plan on getting rid of the few Leopolds that I have but the majority of my rifles wear Burris.
Originally Posted by bugs4
When someone comes out with something better than a 6 x 42 with the LRD reticle for on a plain old huntin' rifle, I'll listen.

6x42 with a MQ reticle would be sweet.
Originally Posted by bobinpa
I firmly believe that the Leupold bashers do it because it seems cool to them...

No, my Leupold Mark IV, the top of their line at the time, broke in 2005. I learned my lesson then and changed over to Nightforce in 2005.

All my Leweys, some dating back to the '70's, have run flawlessly without exception. They are bright, clear, light and all have proven to be rugged in my own personal experience.

I'm not looking to replace any of them, but if life was a fairytale, and money was no object, they would Schmidt & Benders.
Most all my Leupolds are either 4x33, 6x36, or 6x42. Once I get through the leupold dance to get them zeroed, they have been working for me. I don't use them on riles where i would be dialing. No real plans to change them out. I have been trying to spend more on doing and less on adding to the collection, so I have no immediate plans to add rifles/scopes but the last two were a Burris FF3, and a meopta 6x42
Next time I need a scope, it will be a Meopta, or Burris. I've got a couple Burris scopes in the last few years and they've been great. The drama of sighting in a Leupold and trusting them not to go wacky has just grown too tiresome. The only negative moving away from Leupold is increased weight.
I've owned several Leupold scopes over many years. At present I have a 6.5x20X Target on a 22/250 and a 4.5x14x50MM LR on a .308 heavy barreled M700. Both scopes are as consistent as could be asked for! I own NightForce scopes also and all are reliable and consistent for zeros!

Haven't had to replace any Leupolds. On the other hand, I am not one of these guys who fancies himself a sniper. The last "sniper" I had in my shop couldn't tell an M1A from a Garand.
More Leupolds - because they make rifles great again!
More Leupolds - because they make rifles great again!

That’s good. I laughed

Interesting survey! Appears Leupold is going to be around for a long time. Likely their repair/ replace policy is also a factor. Sent a 1970's in which was very unclear and it was replaced. Likely my next will be a Leupold. GW
Originally Posted by 3584ELK

Haven't had to replace any Leupolds. On the other hand, I am not one of these guys who fancies himself a sniper. The last "sniper" I had in my shop couldn't tell an M1A from a Garand.

grin grin grin
I'm not replacing my Leupold scopes but I have bought 2 M8 4x28mm scopes with the original post & duplex reticle.
Optics definitely have a point of diminishing returns. There is a million dollars difference between a good $400 scope and a crap $49 scope. There's not a $100 difference between a $400 scope and a $2k scope.
Send me the Leupolds you don’t want!
© 24hourcampfire