Home
Posted By: domit aiming point - 12/11/19
why do people never seem to aim at the top of the neck were the shoulders and neck come together when an animal is facing head on with head down? aside from maby loosing a bit of meat I think it is a for sure kill shot. what say all?
Posted By: dan_oz Re: aiming point - 12/11/19
If the animal is facing direct toward you, head down grazing, then a shot directly into the spine would be viable. You wouldn't want it too high, and risk doing no more than grazing the top of the spine, so you want to come down a bit from the "top" of the neck (as seen from this angle). I've taken that shot. I've also put them into the spine in the back of the neck as the animal faces or runs away with its head up. The actual target is narrow though, either from front or rear, and from front on you may be better off waiting for the animal to put its head up and either putting it into the base of the neck from underneath, or lower into the aorta above the heart.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: aiming point - 12/11/19
I would try to visualize the top of the heart and aim for that... if it hits the spine on the way in, that’s great but if it doesn’t hit the spine, I still have the bullet going for the right spot.
Posted By: jnyork Re: aiming point - 12/11/19
Originally Posted by domit
why do people never seem to aim at the top of the neck were the shoulders and neck come together when an animal is facing head on with head down? aside from maby loosing a bit of meat I think it is a for sure kill shot. what say all?

I have made 2 or 3 shots with the animal facing me, shot all of them in the base of the neck or the top of the chest. IIRC, all dropped in their tracks. This with a traditional muzzleloader firing round ball.
Posted By: Snyper Re: aiming point - 12/11/19

Maybe because that's a piss poor angle for a shot.
Posted By: pete53 Re: aiming point - 12/11/19
Originally Posted by Snyper

Maybe because that's a piss poor angle for a shot.

agreed x2
Posted By: slumlord Re: aiming point - 12/11/19
Shots of desperation? Why not wait a few seconds for a different opportunity? A deer with its head down as you describe doesn't sound to be in panic mode.

Are you the one in panic mode?

Ever spent 5,10,15 minutes watching a buck before even deciding to shoot...or letting it walk?
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: aiming point - 12/11/19
Originally Posted by slumlord
Shots of desperation? Why not wait a few seconds for a different opportunity? A deer with its head down as you describe doesn't sound to be in panic mode.

Are you the one in panic mode?

Ever spent 5,10,15 minutes watching a buck before even deciding to shoot...or letting it walk?

Yep.

Give them a second. When they raise the head, on a close shot, shoot 'em at the base of the skull where it meets the neck. If it's at distance, you have the a large drop zone from the top of head to the chest.

Neck shot = DRT, so it's one of my favorite shots.
© 24hourcampfire