Home
Posted By: Oheremicus anybody see Midway ? - 12/24/19
I have. EXCELLENT. At the beginning of the movie the producers claimed it was historically accurate. I didn't believe them. Hollywood never does that. At the end of the movie, I had to admit, if it wasn't, I could find where it wasn't. E
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/24/19
Woody numbnuts as Nimitz.

Pass.
Posted By: Utahunter Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/24/19
I agree, they could have cast someone, anyone, other than Woody Harrleson as Nimitz, but overall, I liked the movie. Much better than the old Charleton Heston, Robert Mitchum movie.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/24/19
At least no Alec Baldwin or John Travolta in 'commanding' roles.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/24/19
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Pass.

A commie-lib...not for me.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/24/19
Modern special effects make that movie worth seeing. I didn't realize until later that the hero sailor who was thrown overboard by the Japanese was one of the Jonas Brothers.

Ron
Posted By: hanco Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/24/19
It will be on TV before long.
Posted By: slumlord Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/24/19
The one made in the 70s with henry fonda...

Yeah, I think that fuggin thing was on once a month on superstation WTBS.

JESUS H Christ pop, we've seen this a dozen times... why why why? And holy fugk..tora tora tora, gawd old man your brain is turning into styrofoam.
Can we watch The Shining again??I like watchin Scatman Crothers take an ax in the back.

-conversations with my dad...

I agree it is well worth seeing. I generally don't hold with making the same movie over and over. After the previous Midway movie and Tora Tora Tora I thought they should spend their efforts on something else, but this was an excellent effort that justified one more try. Now I'd like to see someone in Hollywood do the Battle off Samar as told in "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" by James D. Hornfischer.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/24/19
Originally Posted by Utahunter
I agree, they could have cast someone, anyone, other than Woody Harrleson as Nimitz, but overall, I liked the movie. Much better than the old Charleton Heston, Robert Mitchum movie.

Loved the movie, overall. Hated Woody Harrelson as Nimitz. His acting sucked. Why does he continue to get these types of rolls?
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/24/19
Richard Halsey Best scoring bomb strikes on two different Japanese carriers the same day.
Awesome.
Liked the movie in spite of Woody Harrelson.
Posted By: KFWA Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/24/19
I really liked it. I watched a documentary on youtube about it before the movie and it was pretty accurate
Posted By: lastround Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/24/19
Maybe it’ll make Netflix soon.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/24/19
It was worth seeing at the matinee discounted price.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/24/19
I think it was worth seeing regardless of when you go. I saw them both and the new one is far better than the first. I don't care for Woody Harrelson but he does have somewhat of a resemblance to Nimitz. My guess is that's why they used him. I don't know what CGI stands for but the computer work was fantastic, and I'll tell you right now when they are diving on the Japanese ships, your butt will be puckered. I highly recommend.
Posted By: Girlhunter Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/24/19
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I think it was worth seeing regardless of when you go. I saw them both and the new one is far better than the first. I don't care for Woody Harrelson but he does havesomewhat of a resemblance to Nimitz. My guess is that's why they used him. I don't know what CGI stands for but the computer work was fantastic, and I'll tell you right now when they are diving on the Japanese ships, your butt will be puckered. I highly recommend.

Computer Generated Imagery, so you got it right.
Posted By: cv540 Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/25/19
Movie was very good.
Producers sought out information to try to make it as accurate as possible from authors and some of the few participants of the battle who are still alive and active on a website devoted to the battle, "Battle of Midway Roundtable."

Movie was too narrowly focused for my taste, in that it focused almost solely on the actions of the flyers from Enterprise, and glossed over the story of the flyers from Yorktown and Hornet, as well as the USMC flyers. So many great story lines and heroics that didnt get covered, but still a great movie.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/25/19
Watching Dick Best bounce his SBD off the Hiryu’s deck and then drag his wingtip through the ocean was oh so realistic wink
Posted By: watch4bear Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/25/19
This one was better

Posted By: luv2safari Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/25/19
Originally Posted by watch4bear
This one was better

That is still one of my favorites.

My dad missed Midway by being sent to a school at Pearl Harbor after he had been on Yorktown at Coral Sea. He was a young Lt JG and in communications. He went to coding/de-coding classes as Yorktown rushed off half repaired to Midway.

He ended up on quite a few islands and decoded messages, both ours and the Japs'. Right at the end of the war he was assigned to Yorktown II and was shocked at the estimates of invasion of Japan. He decoded messages that were estimates of losses. 'Til his dying day he loved the atomic bomb.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/25/19
The Battle of Leyte Gulf was the 'biggie' however!!
Posted By: papat Re: anybody see Midway ? - 12/25/19
Well worth seeing. I appreciated the attitudes expressed. Why they were the Greatest Generation
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: anybody see Midway ? - 02/19/20
Watched this last night, pretty good movie but a lot of CGI involved, if our boys had to go through that much flak portrayed in the movie, it's a miracle they were able to defeat the Japanese fleet.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: anybody see Midway ? - 02/19/20
Took my son to see it when it first came out. It was okay. He thought it was awesome.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: anybody see Midway ? - 02/19/20
They sure played up the Dauntlesses, which is correct, but they didn't even mention the Wildcats and Buffaloes, or the Catalinas that found the Japanese fleet in the first place, and they didn't mention the four B-26s that tried a torpedo attack, either. The Devastators that went down to attempt torpedo attacks barely got a mention, and every single one of them went down.

Yes, the SBDs got and deserved the lion's share of the credit, but the other pilots and aircrewmen got short shrift in that movie, and they earned accolades, too. After all, they set things up for the Dauntlesses.
Posted By: NEBHUNTER Re: anybody see Midway ? - 02/19/20
I couldn't finish it. Watched the 1976 version instead.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: anybody see Midway ? - 02/19/20
The father of one of my friends was a crewman in a PBY on the mission to find the Japanese fleet. His aircraft wasn’t the one that found the fleet though. He was on Ford Island during the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Many years later after he had retired from the Navy, he taught me how to operate the T-2 flight simulator during my first IP tour. He was one of the most avid deer hunters I’ve ever known.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: anybody see Midway ? - 02/20/20
I thought the acting overall Sucked.
The movie was pretty good other than that.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: anybody see Midway ? - 02/20/20
Lots of comments here as well

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../true/re-midway-seen-it-yet#Post14269378
Posted By: reivertom Re: anybody see Midway ? - 02/20/20
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Pass.

It's hard for me to watch anything that has Leftist idiots from Hollyweird playing great men in history.
© 24hourcampfire