Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck UMC to split? - 01/04/20
The United Methodist Church has announced that it's considering a split over LGBTQ rights. One side wants to follow the Bible and prohibit queer marriage and clergy, the other side wants to totally ignore God's word and allow it. I can see this happening in many other churches in the future. Satan is alive and well.

UMC SPLIT
Posted By: rte Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
This is what occurs when people buy into the homosexual agenda.

United Methodist Church Plans to Split over Same-Sex Marriage, Gay Clergy
Posted By: local_dirt Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
Young folks have been brainwashed by their educators, media and social media for years now. This is the result.. unless parents and their eiders remain resolute.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
UMC isn't my choice of denomination but I have lots of friends in that local congregation. Our congregation has danced around the subject but I see that discussion coming. It is the communist influence that worries me most about all this. The [bleep] just buy into this because it looks to them to be their cause. More useful idiots??? Be Well, Rustyzipper. I see the bleep in my above words. I guess you can't call a spade a spade. I was on a bicycle forum once that didn't allow any mention of GUNS. Left it quickly. I was unaware that you can't use proper terms. Let me know by PM if you want to ban me. I would like some warning. I read the bible though, and probably would just shake the dust off my sandals and wander off to another forum. Rickbin? Something you want to tell me??? Be Well is my usual prayer to all. Do you find that a problem to you??? Please let me know. And Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
It's a question that all churches will have to make in near future - do you follow the Lord or don't you? The truth isn't open for a committee.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
I agree with that RC. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
Is there just one bunch of Methodists now?

There are a couple different types of Lutherans I know of.
No, there's a bunch of them. I could be wrong, but I think they're mostly loosely connected under an overseeing council of some kind.
Posted By: memtb Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The United Methodist Church has announced that it's considering a split over LGBTQ rights. One side wants to follow the Bible and prohibit queer marriage and clergy, the other side wants to totally ignore God's word and allow it. I can see this happening in many other churches in the future. Satan is alive and well.

UMC SPLIT

I grew up in a small group of churches that broke ties with the Methodist Church in the 1890’s.....because the church had become too liberal! memtb
Posted By: jaguartx Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20

UMC SPLIT

I'm afraid I'm coming to the conclusion organized religion is a construct of Satan, RC.

It seems they have all been seduced by the world, an example being the drive to destroy this, a once God fearing country, with moslem integration and destruction of the white race.
There is a Methodist church in town. Talk about a group of nice, unpretentious people. Come as you are types.

I would hate to see them dissolve. Really a nice bunch.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
Jag, you are close.

Organized religion is a construct of humans. Evil, as in greed, lust, and envy resides in the heart of every person.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
No doubt this is a VERY divisive issue. Most urban churches will take the liberal stance, most rural churches will stay conservative. Nothing new here. A bigger problem is the fact that younger folks are not taking their kids to church at all. This is a much bigger issue IMHO.
Posted By: papalondog Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
As forgiving Christians, for we have all sinned, we should welcome LGBT to attend our church services. We love the people but hate the behavior.
As far a letting them gain any leadership or teaching roles, well that's another story and I say NOT!!
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
We belong to a UMC church. I believe all are welcome in God's house. That said, my wife and I are divorced and remarried and the Bible is specific on what duties we can do in the church. I believe those in a same sex relationship should abide by those same rules. IMHO a split is the best option because the problem won't go away so let those that want to follow their hearts instead of God go their own way. It is more difficult to fight the enemy (Satan) if he's openly allowed inside the wire.
Dave
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears."
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
No doubt this is a VERY divisive issue. Most urban churches will take the liberal stance, most rural churches will stay conservative. Nothing new here. A bigger problem is the fact that younger folks are not taking their kids to church at all. This is a much bigger issue IMHO.

Why would you want to?

The jackasses that are screwing you on main street are the same sickly sweet bastards shaking your hand and passing the plate at church.

Grandpa used to say that you should be wary of the folks up front at church......look out for the loudest singers and the guys who stand up first and fastest.

Church aint the problem....the people in the church are. JMHO.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Jag, you are close.

Organized religion is a construct of humans. Evil, as in greed, lust, and envy resides in the heart of every person.

Yes, all are born of the flesh and were destined for death, but their Creator, GOD, loved them, as you love yours who you created in your image, and provided a way for them to be forgiven, as most do their kids, from the justice deserved from their transgressions.

Now, the truth is, not ALL live their lives acting on the fleshly weaknesses of the vices you describe above.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
I’m 62 and have been a Methodist all my life. We are not the first church to have been attacked by the homosexual agenda. They went after the Presbyterian church years ago and succeeded in getting that church to split, as has been proposed with my church. Look at what it did to the Presbyterian’s.....it’s about destroyed that faith. Presbyterian churches have been closing everywhere. My wife was a Presbyterian before she married me. Her family lives in Atlanta. With that city being the LBGT (and whatever else) Mecca you’d figure the Presbyterian churches might thrive there. Nope. Her family attends the largest Pres church in Atl....going to services there now, it’s like attending church in a ghost town. The second largest Pres church in Atl closed their doors a few years ago. They closed the Presbyterian church in the South GA town we live in now.....their agenda did nothing but destroy the Presbyterian church as a whole.

That is what Methodists are concerned with now....the future of our church.

After they split our church, then they’ll be coming after the Southern Baptists....that ought to be interesting.
Posted By: CCCC Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
There is a Methodist church in town. Talk about a group of nice, unpretentious people. Come as you are types. I would hate to see them dissolve. Really a nice bunch.
Agree - same as my experience with smaller Methodist congregations. IMHO, not many of those will dissolve due to such a split. Conversely, the proposed separation may just save the Methodist denomination from total degradation from the principles of John Wesley, et. al;. There seems to be some decent hope for the eventual outcome and true Methodism may regain its footing.

Due to the "acceptance" of moral corruption as forced by the high ranking leaders of that denomination, this eventuality was most predictable - even though it has taken a long time to form. It is interesting that - apparently - the growing demand for adherence to high and enduring principles primarily was driven by Methodist congregations and leaders outside the U.S. I would like to know more about that aspect.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20

Why would you want to?

The jackasses that are screwing you on main street are the same sickly sweet bastards shaking your hand and passing the plate at church.

Grandpa used to say that you should be wary of the folks up front at church......look out for the loudest singers and the guys who stand up first and fastest.

Spot on. Remember what Ghandi said "I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Jag, you are close.

You are close, IS. There is Evil, a real thing that attacks human beings, but not in wolves or lions or sharks or bears.
That evil roams the earth to and fro seeking to destroy. Destroy what, you might ask? Why, me and you.

Are you going to let it get you? Without the sunset, there is no sunrise. Without the night, there is no day.

Choose the night or choose the Light. There is a reason Muhammed chose the moon, rather than the Son.
Posted By: CCCC Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I’m 62 and have been a Methodist all my life. We are not the first church to have been attacked by the homosexual agenda. They went after the Presbyterian church years ago and succeeded in getting that church to split, as has been proposed with my church. Look at what it did to the Presbyterian’s.....it’s about destroyed that faith. Presbyterian churches have been closing everywhere. My wife was a Presbyterian before she married me. Her family lives in Atlanta. With that city being the LBGT (and whatever else) Mecca you’d figure the Presbyterian churches might thrive there. Nope. Her family attends the largest Pres church in Atl....going to services there now, it’s like attending church in a ghost town. The second largest Pres church in Atl closed their doors a few years ago. They closed the Presbyterian church in the South GA town we live in now.....their agenda did nothing but destroy the Presbyterian church as a whole. - - -
Your point about assiduous undermining is well taken - but not so much with the "church as a whole". Way back in the 80s our very large and somewhat prominent Presbyterian church in Bethesda, MD began addressing its serious differences with the PCUSA and eventually decided to split from that body - despite some serious threatening gestures by the leaders of the overseeing organization. In 2020 that church stands, on its own, tall and even more successful.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
Ditto on what it did to the Pres Ch
I'm a methodist and it has been building for years with the "liberal/progressive" anything goes branch of the church. Very sad.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20

Why would you want to?

Come take a look at the fantastic young people in our youth group, and tell me again that the church is not good for them. Our society is trending toward filth, and church ain’t good for young people????? crazy Church must be different in your neck of the woods.
Posted By: RufusG Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
So this has nothing to do with Remington ammunition? Just want to make sure.
Posted By: Hudge Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
I was bought up in a United Methodist Church before being the only kid there and I left to attend my grand parents Southern Baptist Church. My mom is still active in the UMC and many on my dad's side of the family that I knew were all Methodist to the grave. This split has been coming for years. The smaller Methodist Churches like my mom's is very conservative and do not like the liberal/progressive agenda. My cousin's husband was a UMC preacher and left the church due to them wanting to allow LGTB members be leaders of the church. It's pretty sad that the African UMC's are the ones wanting to stick with the original teachings of the church.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
I was raised Methodist, but quit going probably 40 years ago due to the absence of God in that Church. If the split, I'll probably start back, with the Traditionalist side, of course. Will have to check to see if the break away folks still support infanticide like the denomination does now.
Jesus died for all of us sinners. We can be saved by simply believing. However, Jesus does demand repentance for our sins. Homosexuality is clearly a sin and it demands repentance. A queer couple that continues in sin isn't repenting. Jesus said this about them:

Mat 7:21 ¶ "Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’
23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Yes, they need to be in church but it's the church's obligation to let them know that they're in sin and must repent. Jesus and his church are here to heal the sick. That's our purpose.
Queer leadership? How can a church allow non-believers to be leading them? If they believed, they would repent and clearly they haven't. They need to go.
I strongly believe that before it's over, the true church will be underground. There will be a legal, visible church in this country but it will be evil, controlled by Satan.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
Originally Posted by RufusG
So this has nothing to do with Remington ammunition? Just want to make sure.

WHew!!! Thought I was only one concerned about Union Metallic Cartridge.
Posted By: moosemike Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
It's a question that all churches will have to make in near future - do you follow the Lord or don't you? The truth isn't open for a committee.

Well said
Posted By: efw Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
Anybody else here ever read Christianity & Liberalism by J. Gresham Machen?

He called it almost 100 yrs ago.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Now, the truth is, not ALL live their lives acting on the fleshly weaknesses of the vices you describe above.

No, most exhibit self control to one degree or another. Some more. Some less.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
Isn't using the words "United" and "Methodist" in the same phrase sort of an oxymoron?
Jerry
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
Presbyterian Church went all anti-gun too, didn't it? Dunno about the Methodists. Agree with RockChuck in that queers need to be in Church and hear the Word of God but they don't need to be advancing their agenda by being in leadership roles or anything else. There are anti-Christian leaders springing up in the hinterlands now, all over. Conservatives are keeping their mouths shut for fear of being completely ostracized while the enemy is running over them.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
I have been a member of the local Southern Baptist church since 1958. My wife was a Methodist, and we've mostly attended the Methodist church for a good many years. A few years back when the homosexual issue first began to surface in the UMC, we starting thinking about going elsewhere. The UMC we attended was small and rural, and very much against the liberal moves to allow queer preachers.

For about the last 9 months, we've gone back to the Baptist church, and haven't looked back. I wish the UMC well, and think the split will be welcomed by a number of the rural churches, just about all whom are against any move to accept queers as preachers.

I don't know why this is even an issue in the first place............God tells us that homosexuality is an abomination.......period. That's so simple that even a fool should know what it means...........not acceptable in His eyes, and someone who will not gain the reward of everlasting life......and a governing church body actually wants to let people like that preach the Word.

The problem is.........if they teach the Word, they will be false prophets. It is nothing but a move by the UMC to try and rake in more money, so they can spend it and feel good about themselves.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Presbyterian Church went all anti-gun too, didn't it? Dunno about the Methodists. Agree with RockChuck in that queers need to be in Church and hear the Word of God but they don't need to be advancing their agenda by being in leadership roles or anything else. There are anti-Christian leaders springing up in the hinterlands now, all over. Conservatives are keeping their mouths shut for fear of being completely ostracized while the enemy is running over them.

EE, it depends on which Presbyterian denomination you are talking about, there are several. They range from very conservative to very liberal, the largest has been splitting up over LGBT for several years.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

EE, it depends on which Presbyterian denomination you are talking about, there are several. They range from very conservative to very liberal, the largest has been splitting up over LGBT for several years.
Thanks for the clarification. That's what I understood from reading an article or editorial by the late Jerry Ahern, who was a member, years ago...probably in the 1990's. I'm a member of the Christian Church myself, though my beliefs align more closely with Southern Baptists than anything. Our Church doesn't have a governing body other than the Board of the local Church itself. I've never even heard anything about guns or gays at a board meeting.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
I strongly believe that before it's over, the true church will be underground. There will be a legal, visible church in this country but it will be evil, controlled by Satan.

"True Church"?

30,000, soon to be 30,001 denominations.
Originally Posted by efw
Anybody else here ever read Christianity & Liberalism by J. Gresham Machen?

He called it almost 100 yrs ago.

Yep. The battles change but the war remains the same.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

"True Church"?

True church as defined by God himself, believing in Jesus and following his commands. True in God's eyes, not their own eyes as the term is often used. Members will come from all denominations.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

"True Church"?

Sniper, I can't speak for Rock Chuck, but if I were to talk about the "True Church" it would be more about people committed to Christ, His Kingdom and Scripture than about the name on the church building.

ETA: Dang, RC beat me by 53 seconds. shocked
Posted By: SuperCub Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20

Many churches already have decided on this issue. Expect the lgbtq to continue targeting bible believing conservative churches with anti-hate legal battles.

Follow the Lord and expect His results. Let the committee decide and expect the opposite. I'd walk out of one of those liberal churches mid-service if that was ever mentioned over the pulpit.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears."

Timely post for sure, TRH.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I’m 62 and have been a Methodist all my life. We are not the first church to have been attacked by the homosexual agenda. They went after the Presbyterian church years ago and succeeded in getting that church to split, as has been proposed with my church. Look at what it did to the Presbyterian’s.....it’s about destroyed that faith. Presbyterian churches have been closing everywhere. My wife was a Presbyterian before she married me. Her family lives in Atlanta. With that city being the LBGT (and whatever else) Mecca you’d figure the Presbyterian churches might thrive there. Nope. Her family attends the largest Pres church in Atl....going to services there now, it’s like attending church in a ghost town. The second largest Pres church in Atl closed their doors a few years ago. They closed the Presbyterian church in the South GA town we live in now.....their agenda did nothing but destroy the Presbyterian church as a whole.

Satan and dimocraps destroy all good things they get their hands on, for the most part.
Originally Posted by JamesJr

I don't know why this is even an issue in the first place............God tells us that homosexuality is an abomination.......period. That's so simple that even a fool should know what it means...........not acceptable in His eyes. .
Yep, like calling some pastor Father.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
Even heaven split up a while back.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
I heard there is an agreement on the split and that the LGBT branch of the UMC was set to get all the assets and the pro-morality side was gonna get squat.
Is that true?
Posted By: Tyrone Re: UMC to split? - 01/04/20
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Even heaven split up a while back.
LOL! True. Seems to be the way of creation.
Posted By: CCCC Re: UMC to split? - 01/05/20
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I heard there is an agreement on the split and that the LGBT branch of the UMC was set to get all the assets and the pro-morality side was gonna get squat.
Is that true?

I do not know the financial details of the agreement but think that is not accurate.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: UMC to split? - 01/05/20
It is interesting that the new “Traditional” organization is the one separating. It was the “Traditional” side that won the vote last year. If anything, the liberal side should be the one leaving. Our church will go Traditional, along with the other rural churches in the area. UMC churches in Charlotte, Asheville, Winston-Salem, Raleigh etc. will go with the liberal side. It really is a good opportunity for our side to establish some new protocols, without the influence of the wack jobs in the urban areas.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: UMC to split? - 01/05/20
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by JamesJr

I don't know why this is even an issue in the first place............God tells us that homosexuality is an abomination.......period. That's so simple that even a fool should know what it means...........not acceptable in His eyes. .
Yep, like calling some pastor Father.

Jag, don't get me started on that. I don't wish to pizz the good Catholics on here off, but I do not believe in the good "fathers" in the church having the standing that they do. A mortal man is not who one should be putting their faith in, yet many do, and not just Catholics either.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: UMC to split? - 01/05/20
It is interesting that the new “Traditional” organization is the one separating. It was the “Traditional” side that won the vote last year. If anything, the liberal side should be the one leaving. Our church will go Traditional, along with the other rural churches in the area. UMC churches in Charlotte, Asheville, Winston-Salem, Raleigh etc. will go with the liberal side. It really is a good opportunity for our side to establish some new protocols, without the influence of the wack jobs in the urban areas.

If I were a Methodist, I believe I would be welcoming the chance for my church to get right with God again.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: UMC to split? - 01/05/20
I guess our church feels pretty go about who we are and our future. Never heard a word about this today.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: UMC to split? - 01/06/20
I hope, and, pray that our local church ends up on the proper side.
© 24hourcampfire