Home
Posted By: hanco Social Security question - 01/13/20
I’ve been drawing SS since last March. Is Uncle Sam going to send me a W-2 form for tax time??

Thank you
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
yes
Posted By: cooper57m Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Ain't nothin' from the G'vmt free.
tax on ss? I assumed i am done with it.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Oh yes?
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Did y'all pull SS as soon as you were eligible for full amount? My finance guy is encouraging me to wait as long as possible to get as much as I can. He considers it a sure investment.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Close to a W-2 but it's called a 1099-SSA, I believe. I'm handling my aunt's estate and I've already got hers.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Yes, they tax the SS if you make too much money.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Did y'all pull SS as soon as you were eligible for full amount? My finance guy is encouraging me to wait as long as possible to get as much as I can. He considers it a sure investment.

That seems to be a common recommendation. Unless you know how long you will live, you can’t be certain when to take SS to maximize your benefit.
I started mine two years ago, age 66.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
My wife and I both started drawing our SS at full retirement age (66). We debated holding off, but you never know how long you will live and it takes many years to recover what you gave up, even at the higher rate.
I'd rather have the extra money while I'm young enough to use it to enjoy life.
My wife is a retired Certified Financial Planner, knows the ins and outs, and took hers at age 66.
Yep they will send you the paper work a 1099 of some kind.

Don't remember the number.

They are real good at getting it to you.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
I started drawing as soon as I became eligible. Waiting is a gamble,......bird in the hand and all that.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20

The main consideration is cash flow at the future date. It is better to deal with low cash flow at a younger age rather than older age. You will receive about 25% more if you wait to your full amount date. Your COLA increases will be based on a bigger number. Retirement income is a mosaic at best.
Posted By: ScottBrad Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Tomorrow is a promise to no one.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
I turn 62 in a few weeks. Applied, approved and will have the 1st deposit on April 8. I'd have to wait until 66 years and 8 months to get full benefits. As it is I'd have to live to 78 in order to break even. Between my wife and I we'd have earned more than $200K before we even started at age 66 and 8 months. If I lived into my 90's is the only way I'd see a significant increase in overall income over starting now. I'll take my chances and can have a lot of money invested before waiting for the full amount. If I die before age 78 I come out ahead by taking it now. It is almost 30% less money starting at age 62, but in my case I get a 5year head start. For those who can start at age 65 it might be a better deal to wait.

If you continue working and earn over a certain amount your benefits are reduced further. I'm think it is around $20K/year. That only applies to those under full benefit age. If I wait until I'm 67 I can earn all I want and still get SS without reduction of benefits.

Very few people will have to pay tax on SS. If you ever worked in a place where they did not take SS out of your pay then you will. This only applies to a handful of government jobs, or for income earned overseas. There are a few school systems that do not deduct SS from wages. Those teachers will have to pay some tax on their SS depending on how many years they worked.

My parents both retired at age 62 and lived well into their 80's and never paid any tax on their SS benefits.
I started taking mine at age 62. It would take several years to make up the difference if I had waited. I had a real good friend who was a few years older than I waited until he was 65. He died 2 1/2 months later unexpectedly. If you know that you are not going to die until age 85 or 90 and don't have any need for the money when you are 62, then wait. Also, while you are at it, go ahead and cancel your life insurance. You know when you are going to die, right? Seriously, see what the difference is between taking it now and later and calculate how long it will take you to break even. Are you very sure that you will live at least that long? I am not asking do you hope so, but are you reasonably sure? Then remember, to reap the benefits of taking the chance on waiting that long and living X number of years for the extra amount to equal the number of extra years you waited for it to catch up or even out, your extra benefit payment years only then start. So, if you should live two or three years after the "catch-up" date is passed, is it worth taking the chance for the extra money gained? That answer, along with your particular situation, is what you need to make a good decision on what to do. YMMV. Best retirement wishes!
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by JMR40
I turn 62 in a few weeks. Applied, approved and will have the 1st deposit on April 8. I'd have to wait until 66 years and 8 months to get full benefits. As it is I'd have to live to 78 in order to break even. Between my wife and I we'd have earned more than $200K before we even started at age 66 and 8 months. If I lived into my 90's is the only way I'd see a significant increase in overall income over starting now. I'll take my chances and can have a lot of money invested before waiting for the full amount. If I die before age 78 I come out ahead by taking it now. It is almost 30% less money starting at age 62, but in my case I get a 5year head start. For those who can start at age 65 it might be a better deal to wait.

If you continue working and earn over a certain amount your benefits are reduced further. I'm think it is around $20K/year. That only applies to those under full benefit age. If I wait until I'm 67 I can earn all I want and still get SS without reduction of benefits.

Very few people will have to pay tax on SS. If you ever worked in a place where they did not take SS out of your pay then you will. This only applies to a handful of government jobs, or for income earned overseas. There are a few school systems that do not deduct SS from wages. Those teachers will have to pay some tax on their SS depending on how many years they worked.

My parents both retired at age 62 and lived well into their 80's and never paid any tax on their SS benefits.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/whileworking.html

I think you better research those 2 statements a bit closer. The limit is 18,240.

And yes your SS can and will be taxed if you don’t watch it.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/taxes.html

file a federal tax return as an "individual" and your combined income* is
between $25,000 and $34,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits.
more than $34,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.

file a joint return, and you and your spouse have a combined income* that is
between $32,000 and $44,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits.
more than $44,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.
Posted By: hanco Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Started at 66, still working for a little longer. I have my SS going into a separate account, because I didn’t have it taxed. That money shows up the second Wednesday every month.

Thank you for the replies
Posted By: Otter Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by Swifty52
between $25,000 and $34,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits.

between $32,000 and $44,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits.

^^^ this . . . for Federal (IRS) income tax return only. SSA benefits are condsidered "income". Your state may or may not tax SSA benefits.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20

A spouse and / or ex-spouse(s?) can draw a SS benefit in the amount of approximately half of primary recipient's as long as they were legally married at least 10 years.

Upon the death of the primary recipient a spouse / ex-spouse can draw SS benefits off the primary's SS equal to the deceased's full benefit in lieu of their own depending on whichever is greater (also if married at least 10 years).

When one spouse dies, it can be a relatively substantial percentage drop in total monthly income for the living spouse with the loss of the deceased's SS benefit which could be a worthwhile reason for some to put off drawing SS as long as possible for the larger benefit.

Posted By: steve4102 Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by JMR40

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/whileworking.html

I think you better research those 2 statements a bit closer. The limit is 18,240.

And yes your SS can and will be taxed if you don’t watch it.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/taxes.html

This

My wife is 10 years younger than I.

I am collecting SS, she is still working.

It sucks, all of my SS benefits are considered untaxed income and heavily taxed at the end of the year.

Filing individually saves nothing and even costs us a little more.
We pay a hell of a lot of tax. The dindu nuffins get all kinds of free Cshit. Seems fair, don’t it???
Posted By: doubletap Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
I find it interesting that they talk about running out of money in the Social Security system, that we paid into our entire working lives. However, they don't expect to run out of money in the welfare system that the recipients never paid a dime into.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by NVhntr
My wife and I both started drawing our SS at full retirement age (66). We debated holding off, but you never know how long you will live and it takes many years to recover what you gave up, even at the higher rate.
I'd rather have the extra money while I'm young enough to use it to enjoy life.
My wife is a retired Certified Financial Planner, knows the ins and outs, and took hers at age 66.

took mine at 67...like 6 months ago.. mine is all going into a Trust account for my wife, for when I'm no longer here..

i could have gotten another 1,000 a month if I waited until I was 70.. but then I also figured in that time period, I would be passing on 100K I could put in the bank between now and then for her....

so It feels odd, getting something from the government... but i don't really see it, so don't even really know its there...

wife gets $2500 a month put in a trust fund for her, so she's happy.. now she just hopes I will last a long time, being around and being healthy....i don't have to deal with Medicare and Medicaid.. because I am covered under her health plan at the hospital..

wife is 8 years younger than me... so she's got a way to go to retire, and with her job, its not that hard, so she'll probably stay working there another 10 to 15 years...

my retirement plan is diabetes.. and keeping me afloat as long as I can while dealing with that...

so far so good...pretty healthy considering... and going on 10 years as a cancer survivor...

Good knows when my time will come, so I don't really worry about it much, if at all...

ain't afraid of dying.. I just don't want it to be in some nursing home bed, or hospital bed, full of tubes in my nose and in my arms..
and life revolving around having to use the bed pan.. and possibly being fed thru a tube...

my prayer is to just go to bed one night and not wake up the next morning... heart attack or stoke..and boom, gone like Yoda went..

if I wasn't married, the government could just keep their damn money....
I don’t really like taking that government money either. I’ve never taken a nickel before, but it’s mine. Mine is only 1700.00 a month. I’ve been putting money in another plan for the last 31 years.

Social Security - Agency History: Taxation of Social Security Benefits

The Greenspan Commission: What really happened
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Just to keep the numbers simple and anonymous, let's say you'd get $1000/month at age 62, and $1500 at 66. You are about to turn 62.

If you wait, you get nothing for those four years.

If you start taking SS now, you'll receive $48,000 before turning 66.

It will take you 96 months (eight years) after turning 66 to make up the $48,000 you did not receive. So you really don't get any "more" until you pass age 74. The real difference then is 12 years to "break even" not four.

In my case, I started taking SS the moment I was eligible. I used that money to pay all my bills and become debt free within the first couple years. My SS is now my pocket money for the month because I also get my Air Force pension. I would have "broken even" in 2021 but I already am drawing more than I can spend, so for me, taking SS as soon as eligible was the smart choice.

Your situation will certainly be different, so consider carefully.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon

So they tax us all our lives, get to use the SS money we've paid in for decades interest free, then re-tax us on the money they owe us that they got to use interest free?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by hanco
I don’t really like taking that government money either. I’ve never taken a nickel before, but it’s mine. Mine is only 1700.00 a month. I’ve been putting money in another plan for the last 31 years.

Don't sweat it. You paid into it, they used your money all those years, now it's time to start getting it back. Even the money your employers paid in was part of your compensation, hence money you earned.

Next time you get one of those summaries from SSA, look at how much all those taxes you paid over the years amounts to, and the interest it would have earned, and your conscience will be clear.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by gunner500

So they tax us all our lives, get to use the SS money we've paid in for decades interest free, then re-tax us on the money they owe us that they got to use interest free?

Jerry, ever met a politician that didn't love every tax they could dream up...

I maintain that you find a nickle laying on the side walk, in front of you, if you pick it up.. the government still wants their share of it..

you look at Oregon State Tax laws, they "require" every citizen in every state to file an Oregon Income Tax form each year...

That's stupid and they don't or can't enforce it...so why have it on the books?

its to blanket their laws, "just in case" they can figure out a way to tax someone or prosecute them "just in case" they need to,

like using Uncle Bill's address in Washington state as your residence, to avoid Oregon Tax, since Washington State doesn't have an income tax... or at least didn't use to...

all of these politicians burn the midnight oil figuring out ways to get more money out of the working folks of the world...
so they can save the nonworking burden to society bums, and entice them to vote democRAT...

told my representatives many a time, there are still only 100 pennies in a dollar.. and they still think they deserve more of those pennies than you do...

Yes, your monthy payments are larger if you wait. However...
Assume you're 62. Total up how much SS you'll get between now and age 66. Divide that by the difference in monthly payments at 62 and 66. That will give you the number of months it will take at the higher rate to make up for what you don't get between 62 and 66. If you live to more than the average life expectancy, you'll get more by waiting. If you don't, you make more by starting earlier.
A bigger issue is health insurance between 62 and 65 when you can go on Medicare. That can add up really fast if you don't have a company paid plan.
They taxed less than half of mine last year, so you could say that they're taxing most, not all of the employer-paid money, if that makes you feel any better!

One warning for anyone getting a separation payment or early retirement incentive: that money is counted as earned-income, and so applies to the limit that SS uses. Happened to a lady I worked with. She retired at 58 with a separation payment, began collecting her late husband's SS at 60 and the incentive money put he over the limit. She was pissed at the government, but she was paying a financial planner to handle everything, and he let her down on this big-time. I told her that, and then she was mad at me too!
I took my SS at 62. I had a friend that said I was nuts for taking it early. He waited, he didn't live to 65. The government counts on that.
Medicare make most people wait until 65 to retire.

Wifey is younger. I’m hoping she can retire at 62. She has a good bit in her 401, so maybe she can pay insurance with that until Medicare time. I’m still working to get my retirement up, so maybe she can retire at 62. I’ll be needing someone to take me to doc appointments!!!😎😎😎
Posted By: deltakid Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
You can thank Algore for the federal tax on social security - he was the deciding vote since the Senate was tied on that particular vote. As head of the Senate , he was responsible for casting the vote.

When you turn 65, they're going to start deducting for Medicare Part B, currently $144 a month here. You can opt out of that, but I don't recommend it, as that's the part that pays for your doctor, not hospital bills. There's also Part D for prescriptions, but I have employer coverage, so don't know how much that is.
I'm with you on retiring at 62.I took mine at 62 last year.They want you to keep working until you die so they don't have to pay you a dime back.Good thing I had a job that is paying me retirement too.SS is BS.Such a small amount they expect a person to live off of in their later years.And they tax you on what they give you.Then at 65 you have to pay again for Medicare.
Posted By: mrchongo Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by MM879
[quote=Sakoluvr]Retirement income is a mosaic at best.

I'm gonna jot that down for sure!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by gunner500

Jerry, ever met a politician that didn't love every tax they could dream up...

I maintain that you find a nickle laying on the side walk, in front of you, if you pick it up.. the government still wants their share of it..

you look at Oregon State Tax laws, they "require" every citizen in every state to file an Oregon Income Tax form each year...

That's stupid and they don't or can't enforce it...so why have it on the books?

its to blanket their laws, "just in case" they can figure out a way to tax someone or prosecute them "just in case" they need to,

like using Uncle Bill's address in Washington state as your residence, to avoid Oregon Tax, since Washington State doesn't have an income tax... or at least didn't use to...

all of these politicians burn the midnight oil figuring out ways to get more money out of the working folks of the world...
so they can save the nonworking burden to society bums, and entice them to vote democRAT...

told my representatives many a time, there are still only 100 pennies in a dollar.. and they still think they deserve more of those pennies than you do...

Yessir, dirty rotten pieces of dogshlt, tax/STEAL from us poor working bassturds to give to the lazy inbreds, project 'boons and countries that want us dead! crazy i'll continue to remain ignorant by choice on finance, that's why I hire accounting firms to handle my paper work, plus, I DO NOT want to learn the truth about .gov's citizenry theft numbers!
Originally Posted by Pappy348

When you turn 65, they're going to start deducting for Medicare Part B, currently $144 a month here. You can opt out of that, but I don't recommend it, as that's the part that pays for your doctor, not hospital bills. There's also Part D for prescriptions, but I have employer coverage, so don't know how much that is.

Yep. I have ABD&G. They take it out of my SS now, plus the penalty for Wifey and I making too much, about double if weren’t making too much money. That penalty will go away when I retire.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I'm with you on retiring at 62.I took mine at 62 last year.They want you to keep working until you die so they don't have to pay you a dime back.Good thing I had a job that is paying me retirement too.SS is BS.Such a small amount they expect a person to live off of in their later years.And they tax you on what they give you.Then at 65 you have to pay again for Medicare.
if you still enjoy working that much, you can just get your hours trimmed back or pick up a different part time job. Or perform your old just on a consulting basis.

Just have to keep it under a limit.

—->>>
If you start taking benefits early and keep working, you may run into the Social Security income limits. As of 2019, the government will deduct $1 of every $2 you earn over $17,640 from your next year's benefit level if you are under full retirement age. The figure changes a bit from year to year.
Regarding when to take SS, one's situation can and likely will be different and there is no best answer for everyone. Regardless if you take it at 62 or at your full retirement age, by the time you reach about 80 you will have received the same overall amount. After the age of 79 (normal life expectancy), those who have held off taking SS will end up receiving significantly more.

Our advisor told us to take it when we need it and if we don't need it - hold off. One's overall health and family history comes into play too. My wife's parents died at 98 and 90 and my dad lived to 92 and my mother is still alive at 88. Neither my wife or I take any medications at 64. I retired at 55 and my wife at 56 and we are having a comfortable but not extravagant retirement. We had 2 parents in assisted living and one in a nursing home and so we know how quickly one can go thru one's life savings paying $4-6 thousand per month. And while nobody thinks they'll end up there, those places are full and in some places there's a waiting list to get in, so many in fact do. The higher our monthly income is at that very expensive time of life, the better off we will be and the less of a burden we will become to our child. You don't want to end up in a medicaid nursing facility, with bed sores and poor care. The more $ you have at the end, the better you'll be treated.

The trade-off for drawing SS retirement benefit early is of course a relatively substantial reduced benefit.

The annual SS C.O.L.A , if any, isn't much and hasn't been for a good while. and likely won't be much for the foreseeable future but the real life costs of the usual household expenditures can and typically will continue to increase.

After a few years of ever increasing cost of utility bills, groceries, insurances, home/auto maintenance and replacement, property taxes, etc., etc., opting for the lower early retirement SS benefit may not be a wise decision for some.

What's the Maximum Social Security at Age 62, 65, or 70?

Posted By: ERK Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Rocky up above has it correct. I penciled it out and starting early makes the most sense. If you are gonna continue working then it might be different for tax purposes.. ed k
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Ok, so here's my questions: your spouse gets your SS. If you claim at 62 is that what she gets or does she get any other number? If I die without ever claiming, what amount is she able to get?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20

SS gets a COL raise this month ..3% I believe

I took mine at 62 also.......why wait ?

CK shows up 3rd Wednesday every month.....

I still have taxes to pay in every April
Originally Posted by 19352012
Ok, so here's my questions: your spouse gets your SS. If you claim at 62 is that what she gets or does she get any other number? If I die without ever claiming, what amount is she able to get?

Believe it or not that question is answered here. https://www.ssa.gov/

Your full spouse’s benefit could be up to 50 percent of your spouse’s full retirement age amount if you are full retirement age when you take it. If you qualify for your own retirement benefit and a spouse’s benefit, we always pay your own benefit first. You cannot receive spouse’s benefits unless your spouse is receiving his or her retirement benefits (except for divorced spouses). If you took your reduced retirement first while waiting for your spouse to reach retirement age, when you add spouse’s benefits later, your own retirement portion remains reduced which causes the total retirement and spouses benefit together to total less than 50 percent of the worker’s amount. You can find out more on our website.

If the deceased worker started receiving reduced retirement benefits before their full retirement age, a special rule called the retirement insurance benefit limit may apply to the surviving spouse. The retirement insurance benefit limit is the maximum survivor benefit you may receive. Generally, the limit is the higher of:

The reduced monthly retirement benefit to which the deceased spouse would have been entitled if they had lived, or
82.5 percent of the unreduced deceased spouse’s monthly benefit if they had started receiving benefits at their full retirement age (rather than choosing to receive a reduced retirement benefit early).
Posted By: Snyper Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20

You can end up getting more overall by starting sooner.
The differences will be minimal.
My wife's Dad tried your strategy and died a few months before he hit the right age.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by 19352012

Ask the people at SS and they can tell you real numbers.
Originally Posted by Snyper

You can end up getting more overall by starting sooner.
The differences will be minimal.
My wife's Dad tried your strategy and died a few months before he hit the right age.

No one knows what their future will be - how long they will live. The question is: Did your father in law have a nice life and was he financially secure when he died? If he could afford to hold off, he probably was. It's not who gets the most SS benefit that wins. My wife and I are holding off for full retirement age or even longer, if we don't need it at 66. If I never collect a dime from SS yet am living a comfortable and happy life up until then and could meet my expenses- I win! If I collect SS benefits at 62 and yet at 90 I end up in a medicaid facility with my expenses exceeding my income - I lose. It's about your quality of life for however long your life lasts.
1st thing is not everybody is the same. If you are single and not independently wealthy, 65 is the minimum so you've got Medicare. At my age 66 years and 2 months for "full retirement age" so if I went a 65 my SS is discounted about $150 a month over full retirement age. If I wait until 66 and 2 I have waived the 14 months of discounted plus 14 months of my state retirement. The total of what I could get at 65 and that of 66 and 2 is about $150 a month you divide that into what I'd waive if I waited till 66 and 2 and it will take to 80 years old to hit the break even point, I am going this spring while I still have my health. MB
I waited until 66. Time will tell if smart or not.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
You can un-retire too. I talked with a lady who un-retired three times and when you aren't drawing your SS, it can be building up. I lost my first wife to lung cancer when she was only 54, but because we had been married for more than ten years and I was old enough to collect SS, I could get her SS amount and let my own continue to build up. I was in good health and the fact that I loathed my national sales manager, I pulled the plug early. Sure SS builds up a little each month the longer that you don't take it, but are you going to be better off physically at age 70 with a larger check than you were 8 years earlier at age 62 when you could be more physically active and better able to go places and do things?

Hanco, as a trades guy with the skills that you have, you can work side jobs as much or as little as you want to. We had to sign a non-compete paper in our industry, but if that doesn't apply to you, have at it.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
1st thing is not everybody is the same. If you are single and not independently wealthy, 65 is the minimum so you've got Medicare. At my age 66 years and 2 months for "full retirement age" so if I went a 65 my SS is discounted about $150 a month over full retirement age. If I wait until 66 and 2 I have waived the 14 months of discounted plus 14 months of my state retirement. The total of what I could get at 65 and that of 66 and 2 is about $150 a month you divide that into what I'd waive if I waited till 66 and 2 and it will take to 80 years old to hit the break even point, I am going this spring while I still have my health. MB

Retirement and SS are different objects. You can retire and wait for SS. Early SS funds are reduced and taxed. Consider funding the daily retirement with savings until the 66+2. Cash flow will be better an you get the SS COLA on a larger number. Once SS starts you will be in good condition for start of RDM at 70. A (Pension+SS+ RDM) is a plan for success. My only suggestion is start the whole journey with a new truck and RV and go out and enjoy your self.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Quit your job and go $100k into debt
I started taking it at 65 not 66, When I penciled it out.I was break even at 80. If I live that long. After that I will be losing like $30 a month.
Wife waited until 66 but she's got a longer life expectancy than I.
At 65 you will be dinged for Taxes and Medicare.

Originally Posted by tikkanut

2020 SS COLA is just a little over half that at 1.6%

https://www.ssa.gov/cola/

Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA) Information for 2020

Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits for nearly 69 million Americans will increase 1.6 percent in 2020. ...

Originally Posted by joken2

Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits for nearly 69 million Americans will increase 1.6 percent in 2020. ...

Yep, and part B went up 1% if I remember right. Part D went up a couple bucks too. So basically the COLA only barely pays for the cost increases.

What we've found so far was the best source for reliable answers and understandable explanations on questions about SS is to schedule an appointment at our local SS office to sit down face to face and talk with a representative directly.

As always, YMMV...
Posted By: Otter Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20

Yep, and part B went up 1% if I remember right. Part D went up a couple bucks too. So basically the COLA only barely pays for the cost increases.

Kinda like when I was working . . . we would routinely get a raise almost exactly what the inflation rate plus the increase in health insurance was. No coincidence.
Govt. only takes - anything else is simply sleight of hand.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Quit your job and go $100k into debt

My brother in law did that, then he hung his Dumass self! Just about killed wifey.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
I really don't understand the break even point calculation.
Most people say the number is 80, but does this include the missed interest on your 401K? Naturally since you dont drawl on SS you have to use savings, and that savings could be compounding.
So I think the break even point is over 80, and the average life span in the US is 76. So I am thinking taking the cash at 62.
Posted By: lightman Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Just to keep the numbers simple and anonymous, let's say you'd get $1000/month at age 62, and $1500 at 66. You are about to turn 62.

It will take you 96 months (eight years) after turning 66 to make up the $48,000 you did not receive. So you really don't get any "more" until you pass age 74. The real difference then is 12 years to "break even" not four.

In my case, I started taking SS the moment I was eligible. I used that money to pay all my bills and become debt free within the first couple years. My SS is now my pocket money for the month because I also get my Air Force pension. I would have "broken even" in 2021 but I already am drawing more than I can spend, so for me, taking SS as soon as eligible was the smart choice.

Your situation will certainly be different, so consider carefully.

Without having a Crystal ball to tell you how long you will live any choice is a crap shoot. Putting a pencil to it like Rocky says will give you the pay back time. But the big decision is when to start. You can look at your current health, at how long your Parents and Grandparent lived and lots of other stuff. But you can't predict unexpected illness, vehicle accidents, getting shot by a jealous husband, mugged by a gang banger or hit by a meteor.

Other factors to consider are do you have investments or a pension? Does your spouse? Are you still caring any debt or are you responsible for any needy family members?

I have a friend thats going to wait until 70 and he has already lived longer than his parents. Thats a bad decision to my thinking. Another elderly friend is also planning to wait until 70 and he is as healthy as a teenage athlete. Thats a good decision to my way of thinking. But its still just a guess!

As to taking government money, its not government money. Its my money! Paid in by me with lots of hard work and taken from me without me having a choice!
I waited till 66, no idea how smart that was. One of those things that is strictly up to you.
Yep, had a guy I worked with that said he was going to wait till 70 because he was healthy. Went to his retirement party and wished him well, end of story is he had a massive heart attack working on the house and died 6 months later. But at least he got that extra 500 bucks a month for 6 mos.
The people that die young is all that gives the system any chance of working.

Social Security Benefits Planner: Retirement

If you were born in 1956 your full retirement age is 66 and 4 months

Remember, the earliest a person can start receiving Social Security retirement benefits will remain age 62.

If you start receiving retirement benefits at:

age 62, you will get 73.3 percent of the monthly benefit because you will be getting benefits for an additional 52 months.
age 65, you will get 91.1 percent of the monthly benefit because you will be getting benefits for an additional 16months.

If you start receiving benefits as a spouse at your full retirement age, you will get 50 percent of the monthly benefit your spouse would receive if their benefits started at full retirement age. If you start receiving benefits at:

age 62, you will get 34.2 percent of the monthly benefit instead of 50 percent because you will be getting benefits for an additional 52 months.
age 65, you will get 44.4 percent of the monthly benefit instead of 50 percent because you will be getting benefits for an additional 16 months.

How Your Social Security Benefit Is Reduced:

Wage Earner .... Spouse

62 73.3% 34.2%
62 + 1 month 73.8 34.4
62 + 2 months 74.2 34.6
62 + 3 months 74.6 34.8
62 + 4 months 75.0 35.0
62 + 5 months 75.4 35.2
62 + 6 months 75.8 35.4
62 + 7 months 76.3 35.6
62 + 8 months 76.7 35.8
62 + 9 months 77.1 36.0
62 + 10 months 77.5 36.3
62 + 11 months 77.9 36.5
63 78.3 36.7
63 + 1 month 78.8 36.9
63 + 2 months 79.2 37.1
63 + 3 months 79.6 37.3
63 + 4 months 80.0 37.5
63 + 5 months 80.6 37.8
63 + 6 months 81.1 38.2
63 + 7 months 81.7 38.5
63 + 8 months 82.2 38.9
63 + 9 months 82.8 39.2
63 + 10 months 83.3 39.6
63 + 11 months 83.9 39.9
64 84.4 40.3
64 + 1 month 85.0 40.6
64 + 2 months 85.6 41.0
64 + 3 months 86.1 41.3
64 + 4 months 86.7 41.7
64 + 5 months 87.2 42.0
64 + 6 months 87.8 42.4
64 + 7 months 88.3 42.7
64 + 8 months 88.9 43.1
64 + 9 months 89.4 43.4
64 + 10 months 90.0 43.8
64 + 11 months 90.6 44.1
65 91.1 44.4
65 + 1 month 91.7 44.8
65 + 2 months 92.2 45.1
65 + 3 months 92.8 45.5
65 + 4 months 93.3 45.8
65 + 5 months 93.9 46.2
65 + 6 months 94.4 46.5
65 + 7 months 95.0 46.9
65 + 8 months 95.6 47.2
65 + 9 months 96.1 47.6
65 + 10 months 96.7 47.9
65 + 11 months 97.2 48.3
66 97.8 48.6
66 + 1 month 98.3 49.0
66 + 2 months 98.9 49.3
66 + 3 months 99.4 49.7
66 + 4 months 100.0 50.0

*If your birthday is on the 1st of the month, we figure your benefit as if your birthday were in the previous month.
Related Information

Should you take Social Security at 62?

If you can wait a few years or longer, you can boost your benefits—and your spouse's.

Key takeaways

If you claim Social Security at age 62, rather than waiting until your full retirement age (FRA), you can expect up to a 30% reduction in monthly benefits.
For every year you delay past your FRA up to age 70, you get an 8% increase in your benefit. So, if you can afford it, waiting could be the better option.
Health status, longevity, and retirement lifestyle are 3 variables that can play a role in your decision on when to claim your Social Security benefits.

When it comes to Social Security, it can be tempting to take the money and run as soon as you're eligible—typically at age 62. After all, you've likely been paying into the system for all of your working life, and you're ready to receive your benefits. Plus, guaranteed monthly income is nice to have.

Health status, longevity, and retirement lifestyle are 3 key factors that can play a role in your decision on when to claim your Social Security benefits. You may not be able to predict the true impact of these variables, but you can rely on the simple fact that if you claim early versus later, you will likely have lower benefits from Social Security to help fund your retirement over the next 20–30+ years.

If you start taking Social Security at age 62, rather than waiting until your full retirement age (FRA), you can expect up to a 30% reduction in monthly benefits with lesser reductions as you approach FRA. Remember, FRA is no longer age 65. It now ranges from 66 to 67, depending on your date of birth (see your full retirement ageOpens in a new window). And your annual cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) is based on your benefit. So if you begin Social Security at 62, and start with reduced benefits, your COLA-adjusted benefit will be lower too.

Waiting to claim your Social Security benefit will result in a higher benefit. For every year you delay past your FRA, you get an 8% increase in your benefit. That could be at least a 24% higher monthly benefit if you delay claiming until age 70. But, make sure to evaluate your decision based on how much you've saved for retirement, your other sources of income in retirement, and your expectations for longevity.

While many people could benefit from waiting to age 70 to take Social Security payments, others may need this source of guaranteed income sooner to help pay their bills, or may anticipate that they may not live long enough to reap the rewards of delaying.
For illustrative purposes only. Note: All lifetime benefits are expressed in today's dollars, and life expectancy of 89. The numbers are sensitive to, and would change with, the discount rate (the rate used when discounting the future benefit payments for each claiming age) and life expectancy assumptions.
The downside of claiming early: Reduced benefits

Consider the following hypothetical example. Colleen is 62 as of 2019. If Colleen waits until age 66 and 6 months (her FRA) to collect, she will receive approximately $2,000 a month. However, if she begins taking benefits at age 62, she'll only receive $1,450 a month. This "early retirement" penalty is permanent and results in her receiving up to 28% less year after year.

However, if Colleen waits until age 70, her monthly benefits will increase another 28% over what she would receive at her FRA, to a total of $2,560 per month.1 If she were to live to age 89, her lifetime benefits would be about $114,000 more, or at least 24% greater, because she had waited until age 70 to collect Social Security benefits.2 (Note: All figures are in today's dollars and before tax; the actual benefit would be adjusted for inflation and would possibly be subject to income tax.)
Spouses and Social Security

Several Social Security claiming strategies were eliminated in 2015 including the ability to file a "restricted application for spousal benefits," which allowed you to claim benefits based on your spouse's work record and then switch to claiming on your own work record at a later date. This strategy is no longer possible if you turned age 62 after December 31, 2015.

Claiming before your FRA on a spouse's record means you'll lose even more than claiming on your own record—the benefit reduction for a spouse is up to 35% while the reduction for claiming your own benefit is up to 30%. For instance, if you're the spouse of Colleen in the above example and you are the same age, you'd be eligible for only $675 a month at age 62, 33% less than the $1000 a month you would get at your FRA of 66 and 6 months.

Read Viewpoints on Fidelity.com: Social Security tips for couples

Not married? Read Viewpoints on Fidelity.com: Social Security tips for singles or Social Security and divorce

Your decision to take benefits early could outlive you. If you were to die before your spouse, they would be eligible to receive your monthly amount as a survivor benefit—if it's higher than their own amount. But if you take your benefits early, say at age 62 versus waiting until age 70, your spouse's survivor Social Security benefit could be up to 30% less for the remainder of their lifetime.

Retirement and SS are different objects. You can retire and wait for SS. Early SS funds are reduced and taxed. Consider funding the daily retirement with savings until the 66+2. Cash flow will be better an you get the SS COLA on a larger number. Once SS starts you will be in good condition for start of RDM at 70. A (Pension+SS+ RDM) is a plan for success.

My only suggestion is start the whole journey with a new truck and RV and go out and enjoy your self.

Did the new truck 3 years a go, looking at ravel trailers now. Employer would like me to work part time for 3 months or so this spring ,will look at waiting 3 months more on the SS. MB
Posted By: JRaw Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Seems one question is what you are going to spend the money on, if you defer SS benefits and live in to your 90s, the financial wizards will say you’ve come out ahead. But you’re not gonna spend that extra money on a sheep hunt, and how much can you spend sitting in your rocker renting movies on iTunes?
Obviously if you rely solely on SS it’s a different equation, but you might decide to spend the money while you can, on stuff that’s fun. And you can have more fun spending money in your 50s and 60s than you can in your 90s.
An interesting coincidence; the amount that SS at 62 is reduced is all most exactly the amount that is needed to fund daily needs during the SS hole between 62 and 66+2. I think I might have identified a new constant. This is the condition for (Pension+SS@66+2).
Every situation is different.Because I was already getting retirement from my previous job,Social Security taken at 62 and a partime job working from home,I am way better off financially than when I was working full time.The three years of drawing Social Security before 65 is over 50K.I figured it would take quite a. few years If I would have waited till 65 for that 50k to balance out by waiting.Plus once it did,if I'm still alive,what would my health be then.Being retired,I have less stress,eat better,sleep as much as I need and the overall control over my quality of life is better.The way I looked at it it's like playing a lotto game.The odds are stacked against you.Most likely the longer you wait,the less of your money you are going to get back and the less time you will have to just enjoy life.
Originally Posted by Terryk
I really don't understand the break even point calculation.
Most people say the number is 80, but does this include the missed interest on your 401K? Naturally since you dont drawl on SS you have to use savings, and that savings could be compounding.
So I think the break even point is over 80, and the average life span in the US is 76. So I am thinking taking the cash at 62.

I sat in front of a Social Security rep as he calculated break-even point - 79+ years old.. Nothing was taken into consideration but Social Security payments. I had been thinking of waiting until 66 to collect because I didn't really "need" the Social Security payments at that point in time.

His analysis cured me of that thought process and I filed right then and there. Truthfully, kinda wishing I'd done so at 62 because I left over $40k on the table that I will not see until after 79.
I wanted more money per month so I waited. SS isn’t going to be but a small part of my retirement, so I took the gamble.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20

woops...............my badd

Retirement and SS are different objects. You can retire and wait for SS. Early SS funds are reduced and taxed. Consider funding the daily retirement with savings until the 66+2. Cash flow will be better an you get the SS COLA on a larger number. Once SS starts you will be in good condition for start of RDM at 70. A (Pension+SS+ RDM) is a plan for success.

My only suggestion is start the whole journey with a new truck and RV and go out and enjoy your self.

Did the new truck 3 years a go, looking at ravel trailers now. Employer would like me to work part time for 3 months or so this spring ,will look at waiting 3 months more on the SS. MB

It looks like you have it dialed. When I left I had a new truck and travel trailer. This helped a lot in the transition. It was easy to stay busy camping and motorcycle riding. I would leave a week early and come home 3 days late.
It seems many here are only thinking about spending money on the fun things. My father in law did that too. Bought Cadillacs even had a bumper sticker on them saying he was spending his children's inheritance. Funny! He and his wife went on many cruises and trips all over the world etc when they were in their 60s and early 70s. Then, when they hit their late 80s & 90s and had dementia and needed assisted living and nursing homes they ran out of savings and, yet, while their expenses exceeded their SS and pension income they made too much to qualify for Medicaid. So, his children who had their own retirement and expenses had to all chip in and bail them out. But hey, he had those Cadillacs and trips that they couldn't remember having. The fun things are nice but are so damn unimportant compared to those things that actually do matter when you are old and no longer able to meet expenses. Maybe you have kids who'll look after you and maybe you don't or they won't. I'd rather be smart and make sure my income and savings are enough to last as long as I might need it.
Every one has to look at their own scenario. My wife is one year younger than I. She spent most of her life working part time and caring for our children. She filed at 62, and gets $600/mo.

I am fully vested with 35 years in a corporate pension fund. But I have to retire (of course) to draw on it.
If I take SS at 62, benefits would be reduced by almost half while I am still working.

The difference between retiring at 62 and taking SS at that time vs 66 yrs 4 mo full retirement age, according to my Prudential online retirement planner is over 20% increased income. Plus another 4.5 years of dumping 15% of my gross into a 401K with a guaranteed 5% annual payback on the highest balance......forever.

So yes, my Mom is alive at 84, Dad is failing at 89, my grandparents lived into their mid nineties. So I will file SS at 66 and 4 mo, then take my company pension after I see a couple SS checks hit the bank. That should be Feb 2023.

Of course, in my case is another serious consideration. My employer owes me about $50k in accrued vacation. If I retire and cash it out before full SS, it will get 50% deducted from SS .
Posted By: dale06 Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20

Next time you get one of those summaries from SSA, look at how much all those taxes you paid over the years amounts to, and the interest it would have earned, and your conscience will be clear. [/quote]

Conscience clear my ass, I’m pissed.
My employer and I paid in for about 44 years. What SS is paying me us nothing considering the amount paid and interest is nothing.
Posted By: ribka Re: Social Security question - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by JRaw
Seems one question is what you are going to spend the money on, if you defer SS benefits and live in to your 90s, the financial wizards will say you’ve come out ahead. But you’re not gonna spend that extra money on a sheep hunt, and how much can you spend sitting in your rocker renting movies on iTunes?
Obviously if you rely solely on SS it’s a different equation, but you might decide to spend the money while you can, on stuff that’s fun. And you can have more fun spending money in your 50s and 60s than you can in your 90s.

I figured that into my retirement plan hence taking it at 62. How much money do you need to live on once in your mid 70's?

I figure I just need enough to cover adult diapers and Netflix
We pay a hell of a lot of tax. The dindu nuffins get all kinds of free Cshit. Seems fair, don’t it???

They dont need SS per LBJ,s great society programs for their entire life.

All thought out back then.

All for their votes......

Curse on those still alive who voted for him in 64......

Hanco: Indeed you WILL be "re-taxed" on your social security pension checks!
Didn't used to be taxed but is now.
IIRC my beloved President Ronald Reagan signed the bill that allowed this into law!
Someone please correct me on that if need be.
Its just a sadfuckin fact of life the politicians will spend every cent they can get their grubby hands on (and more!) and they WILL tax everything under the sun!
And they will steal from the social security funds for their craven and idiotic spending projects, that are full of fraud and abuse.
It should NOT be that way but sadly it is.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: joken2 Re: Social Security question - 01/14/20

Something that is often not considered seriously nor made allowances for is "Murphy" doesn't give retirees on a fixed income a free pass nor senior citizen discounts.

What may be enough income to meet daily needs, responsibilities, emergencies and some wants now may not be enough in the future as most everything generally gets more expensive.
Posted By: hanco Re: Social Security question - 01/14/20

Something that is often not considered seriously nor made allowances for is "Murphy" doesn't give retirees on a fixed income a free pass nor senior citizen discounts.

What may be enough income to meet daily needs, responsibilities, emergencies and some wants now may not be enough in the future as most everything generally gets more expensive

That’s why I’m still working. Every year adds 2.3% more to my pension. Hope to improve it some in the next two years.
Posted By: Ejp1234 Re: Social Security question - 01/14/20

I find extreme humor in you being so fiscally stupid to post the question you initially did... but then post this as a self esteem booster...

I hope it worked, because your still dumb as fug to think you wouldnt be taxed on income old man.

PS - there is only a 1% slant of blacks to white receiving “social welfare”... that simple figure of 1% might be hard for someone your age that doesnt comprehend income tax to understand, so to better explain it to you... essentially your just as likely to get welfare as the “dindu notin”

What may be enough income to meet daily needs, responsibilities, emergencies and some wants now may not be enough in the future as most everything generally gets more expensive

That’s why I’m still working. Every year adds more to my pension, 2.3%. Hope to improve it some in the next two years.

Sounds like when it was time to study you “dindu nutin”
I knew it was going to be taxed. I didn’t know if I was going to get a W-2 form or something like it to file my taxes. That was my question.
No, they want you to guess
Posted By: Terryk Re: Social Security question - 01/14/20
Maybe I am not thinking about this fully, so let me know if this is BS.

My estimated benefit is about 20K per year. So if I take that at 62, I get 100K by 67 from SS. That is 100K that I don't remove from my 401K to live on.

With 62 start, I break even at 80, than I start to lose compared to 67 start date. That is done by comparing issued funds.

But that 100K, 5years X 20K, was saved in my 401K. So that 100K sits in my stock account until I'm 80, so in 13 years of compounding, I think it will double. Again this is very rough estimate but I think withdrawing 100K and missing 13+ years of compounded growth is huge. That 100K should double in 13+ years to the break even point at 80. So I would have an extra 100K in savings by spending SS money instead of savings. So maybe the break even point is 85 when you look at loss of income from that 100K.
I would guess about 30% in the tax bracket I’m in.

I have it going in a savings account until we figure our taxes out. I would probably be better off not taking it. That extra money may cause me to pay a higher Medicare penalty.
7% average gain

10yrs for money to make a flip.

In theory your $100k could/should be $200k in 10yrs.

My estimated benefit is about 20K per year. So if I take that at 62, I get 100K by 67 from SS. That is 100K that I don't remove from my 401K to live on.

With 62 start, I break even at 80, than I start to lose compared to 67 start date. That is done by comparing issued funds.

But that 100K, 5years X 20K, was saved in my 401K. So that 100K sits in my stock account until I'm 80, so in 13 years of compounding, I think it will double. Again this is very rough estimate but I think withdrawing 100K and missing 13+ years of compounded growth is huge. That 100K should double in 13+ years to the break even point at 80. So I would have an extra 100K in savings by spending SS money instead of savings. So maybe the break even point is 85 when you look at loss of income from that 100K.

You wouldn’t be taking the 100,000 out at once. A little each month??
Posted By: tpcollins Re: Social Security question - 01/14/20
Originally Posted by persiandog

Since I have a Ford pension, I wind up claiming nearly 30% (maybe a little less) of my SS as taxable income.

I paid SS taxes my whole life and now I’m paying income tax on that same friggin’ money.

You wouldn’t be taking the 100,000 out at once. A little each month??

I was considering that by age 67 I would have pulled out 100K, So you can consider age 67 the "simple start point" of the loss of interest, although that is an under estimate.

So now at age 67 you are down 100K, and it could have earned 7% for 13 years until the magic age 80 break even point.

And as EJP said, that 100K of investment should at least double. So Ill say another 5 years extended on the break even point because you have earned 100K+ in interest.

So I say 62 is better than 67. Or maybe 62 ain't that bad when you consider not missing 100K of compounded growth for 13+ years.
Originally Posted by Ejp1234

I find extreme humor in you being so fiscally stupid to post the question you initially did... but then post this as a self esteem booster...

I hope it worked, because your still dumb as fug to think you wouldnt be taxed on income old man.

PS - there is only a 1% slant of blacks to white receiving “social welfare”... that simple figure of 1% might be hard for someone your age that doesnt comprehend income tax to understand, so to better explain it to you... essentially your just as likely to get welfare as the “dindu notin”

Dindu notins come in colors other than black.
Yes they do, lots of cracker don’t do nothings. I don’t like them either. I get behind them in the grocery store. They try to hide their Lone Star cards.
OK, just to look at this from another angle. My Wife's and my income, without social security, would not be liable for any other income tax, other than what is held out monthly. When Social Security is added in, I have to cut a check for between 20% and 25% of what Social Security we draw during the year. It does vary a little from year to year, but not by any noticeable amount. The way it is figured is hard to follow, but they have a step by step guide so that you will not underpay. If you will read the History of SS, you will see another great government lie. They said at first that SS would never be subject to income tax. miles
Originally Posted by cooper57m
It seems many here are only thinking about spending money on the fun things. My father in law did that too. Bought Cadillacs even had a bumper sticker on them saying he was spending his children's inheritance. Funny! He and his wife went on many cruises and trips all over the world etc when they were in their 60s and early 70s. Then, when they hit their late 80s & 90s and had dementia and needed assisted living and nursing homes they ran out of savings and, yet, while their expenses exceeded their SS and pension income they made too much to qualify for Medicaid. So, his children who had their own retirement and expenses had to all chip in and bail them out. But hey, he had those Cadillacs and trips that they couldn't remember having. The fun things are nice but are so damn unimportant compared to those things that actually do matter when you are old and no longer able to meet expenses. Maybe you have kids who'll look after you and maybe you don't or they won't. I'd rather be smart and make sure my income and savings are enough to last as long as I might need it.

Should have just gone completely broke and thrown his problem at the feet of .gov... like the rest of his illegal immigrant neighbors.

Shame on him for working his ass off all his whole life to have a little fun..
Originally Posted by tpcollins
Originally Posted by persiandog

Since I have a Ford pension, I wind up claiming nearly 30% (maybe a little less) of my SS as taxable income.

I paid SS taxes my whole life and now I’m paying income tax on that same friggin’ money.

One of THE biggest crimes perpetrated on us by our "leaders" in Congress, IMHO..

And them with their cushy retirement and healthcare.
Originally Posted by renegade50

They dont need SS per LBJ,s great society programs for their entire life.

All thought out back then.

All for their votes......

Curse on those still alive who voted for him in 64......

IMHO, hanging would have been too good for him.

Add in what he did in Vietnam and the ante goes up to burned at the stake..
He fuuucked the working man, but good!
Posted By: lightman Re: Social Security question - 01/14/20

Everybody does that to the working man!
Originally Posted by lightman

Yep. I guess we like it!!!
Posted By: joken2 Re: Social Security question - 01/14/20

Social Security - Agency History: Taxation of Social Security Benefits

Background

Since a pair of 1938 Treasury Department Tax Rulings, and another in 1941, Social Security benefits have been explicitly excluded from federal income taxation. (A revision was issued in 1970, but it made no changes in the existing policy.) This changed for the first time with the passage of the 1983 Amendments to the Social Security Act. Beginning in 1984, a portion of Social Security benefits have been subject to federal income taxes.

The three Treasury Rulings (see below) established as tax policy the principle that Social Security benefits were not subject to federal income taxes. This was special treatment for Social Security benefits since most private pensions are partly taxable. In most private pensions, an amount of the pension equal to the contributions made by the worker are tax-free. The amount of such private pensions which exceeds the amount of the worker's contributions, is usually subject to federal income taxes.

A slightly different, and more complicated, way of saying essentially the same thing is that the portion of pension benefits not subject to taxation is that on "after-tax income." For a worker, his entire pay is subject to federal income taxes, including that part that is subject to Social Security payroll taxes, and so, in the sometimes confusing parlance of tax policy, this is said to all be "after-tax income." His employer, however, is allowed to deduct his portion of the Social Security payroll tax from his taxable income. So Social Security payments made by the employer are considered "before-tax income" (and hence, not taxable). So the value of the "before-tax income" received by the beneficiary (i.e., the employer's contribution) is potentially taxable. Or to say it the other way, only that portion of the worker's "after-tax income" on which he paid payroll taxes, is not taxable.

Yet another way of describing this idea is to use "exclusion ratios," which is how the Treasury Department defines the taxable portion of a pension benefit. In all of these ways of describing it, the basic idea is the same: the pension recepient is generally liable for taxes on that portion of his benefits that he did not himself contribute.

Treasury's underlying rationale for not taxing Social Security benefits was that the benefits under the Act could be considered as "gratuities," and since gifts or gratuities were not generally taxable, Social Security benefits were not taxable. It is likely that Treasury took this view owing to the structure of the 1935 Act in which the taxing provisions and the benefit provisions were in separate Titles of the law. Because of this structure, one could argue that the taxes were just a form of revenue-raising, unrelated to the benefits. The benefits themselves could then be seen as a "gratuity" that the federal government paid to certain classes of citizens. Although this was clearly not true in a political and moral sense, it could be construed this way in a legal sense. In the context of public policy, most people would hold the view that the tax contributions created an "earned right" to subsequent benefits. Notwithstanding this common view, the Treasury Department ruled that there was no such necessary connection and hence that Social Security benefits were not taxable.

On the other hand, the fact of the matter is that Social Security beneficiaries do not fully fund their benefits through their payroll taxes. Benefits are funded from three sources: the employee's payroll tax, the employer's matching payroll tax, and interest earned by the Trust Funds. Only one part of this funding could be said to have been directly paid by the beneficiary. Also, technically speaking, benefits are computed based on the workers' earnings, not on the amount of taxes they pay.

So the beneficiary's own contributions do not account for the employer's matching contribution or the interest earned on both. Nor does it account for the benefits received in excess of total contributions. That is, due to the fact that the Social Security program operates in part on the insurance principle, most beneficiaries receive far more in benefits than either they and/or their employers contributed to the system.

If a rigorous effort is made to identify how much of the average beneficiary's benefit was directly paid for by the beneficiary, the general answer is about 15%. Or to say it the other way, about 85% of the average Social Security benefit represents an amount in excess of that contributed to the program by the average worker.

The 1979 Advisory Council and the Greenspan Commission

The 1979 Advisory Council was charged with studying the financing and benefit provisions of the Social Security program. The Council wrote extensively on the issue of taxation of Social Security benefits:

"The present tax treatment of social security was established at a time when both social security benefits and income tax rates were low. In 1941 the Bureau of Internal Revenue ruled that social security benefits were not taxable, most probably because they were viewed as a form of income similar to a gift or gratuity.
The council believes that this ruling was wrong when made and is wrong today. The right to social security benefits is derived from earnings in covered employment just as is the case with private pensions.
The council believes that the current tax treatment of private pensions is a more appropriate model for the tax treatment of social security, Pension benefits from contributory private pension plans (including those for government employees) are now taxed to the extent that the benefits exceed the employee's accumulated contributions to the plan. Cumulative retirement benefits up to the employee's own total contributions are not taxed because the income from which the contributions were paid was taxable. That part of the benefit representing the employer's contribution and interest income on both the employee's and the employer's contributions is taxed when received.
Estimates by the Office of the Actuary of the Social Security Administration indicate that workers now entering covered employment in aggregate will make payroll tax payments totaling no more than 17 percent of the benefits that they can expect to receive. The self-employed will pay no more than 26 percent on average. Therefore, if social security benefits were accorded the same tax treatment as private pensions, only 17 percent of the benefit would be exempt from tax when received, and 83 percent would be taxable. . . Rough Justice would be done, however, if half the benefit (the part commonly if somewhat inaccurately attributed to the employer contribution) were made taxable."

This recommendation by the Advisory Council encountered widespread resistance in the Congress. In an effort to make the idea more palatable, it was suggested that exclusionary thresholds could be added so that beneficiaries of low to moderate incomes would not be affected. This was similar to the procedure in use for the taxation of unemployment compensation benefits, which began in 1978.

Thus, the proposal as it emerged was for 50% of Social Security benefits to be subject to federal income tax, with threshold exclusions set at the same levels as those used for Unemployment Compensation (U.C.).

Following the 1979 Advisory Council, the National Commission on Social Security Reform (informally known as the Greenspan Commission after its Chairman) was appointed by the Congress and the President in 1981 to study and make recommendations regarding the short-term financing crisis that Social Security faced at that time. Estimates were that the Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund would run out of money, possibly as early as August 1983. This bipartisan Commission was to make recommendations to Congress on how to solve the problems facing Social Security. Their report, issued in January 1983, was the basis for Congress' consideration of the Social Security reform proposals which ultimately resulted in the 1983 Social Security Amendments.

In its Report, the Commission recommended that Social Security benefits be taxable: "The National Commission recommends that, beginning with 1984, 50% of OASDI benefits should be considered as taxable income for income-tax purposes for persons with Adjusted Gross Income (before including therein any OASDI benefits) of $20,000 if single and $25,000 if married. The proceeds from such taxation, as estimated by the Treasury Department, would be credited to the OASDI Trust Funds under a permanent appropriation."

This was essentially the Advisory Council recommendation as it had come to be modified in subsequent debate. (With the change that the thresholds are computed before adding in the Social Security benefit--the opposite of the way it was done in U.C.)

The Commission estimated that its proposals would effect only about 10% of Social Security beneficiaries and that it would result in $30 billion in revenue to the Trust Funds in the first seven years.

1983 Amendments

Congress passed and President Reagan signed into law the 1983 Amendments. Under the '83 Amendments, up to one-half of the value of the Social Security benefit was made potentially taxable income. The specific rules adopted in 1983 were:

If the taxpayer's combined income (total of adjusted gross income, interest on tax-exempt bonds, and 50% of Social Security benefits and Tier I Railroad Retirement Benefits) exceeds a threshold amount ($25,000 for an individual, $32,000 for a married couple filing a joint return, and zero for a married person filing separately), the amount of benefits subject to income tax is the lesser of 50% of benefits or 50% of the excess of the taxpayer's combined income over the threshold amount. The additional income tax revenues resulting from this provision are transferred to the trust funds from which the corresponding benefits were paid. Effective for taxable years beginning after 1983.

When considering the 1983 Amendments, the Report by the House Ways & Means Committee argued as follows: "Your Committee believes that social security benefits are in the nature of benefits received under other retirement systems, which are subject to taxation to the extent they exceed a worker's after-tax contributions and that taxing a portion of social security benefits will improve tax equity by treating more nearly equally all forms of retirement and other income that are designed to replace lost wages. . ."

The Senate Finance Committee Report offered these additional observations: ". . . by taxing social security benefits and appropriating these revenues to the appropriate trust funds, the financial solvency of the social security trust funds will be strengthened. . . . By taxing only a portion of social security and railroad retirement benefits (that is, up to one-half of benefits in excess of a certain base amount), the Committee's bill assures that lower-income individuals . . . will not be taxed on their benefits. The maximum proportion of benefits taxed is one-half in recognition of the fact that social security benefits are partially financed by after-tax employee contributions."

The Senate Report thus acknowledged that one motivating factor in introducing this change was to raise revenue for the Trust Funds. This was part of a much larger package of program changes designed to address the financial solvency of the program. One might fairly say that cutting benefits and raising revenues was the purpose of the 1983 Amendments, and the adoption of Social Security benefit taxation was simply one provision among many to facilitate these aims. It is also important to note that funds raised under this provision do not go into the General Fund of the Treasury but into the Social Security Trust Funds. This emphasizes again that the purpose of introducting this provision was to raise revenue to help restore Social Security's financial solvency. (The Committees estimated the six-year savings from this provision at $26.6 billion, and estimated that this provision would supply almost 30% of the total additional long-range funding provided by the Amendments.)

We should also take note of the rationale for the exclusionary thresholds in the law. The Congress intended that the taxation provisions should not affect "lower-income individuals." The $25,000 and $32,000 thresholds were included to accomplish this. So the thresholds are not based on any feature of the Social Security program--they are pure tax policy. Since the thresholds in the 1983 law were intentionally not indexed, over time, they would lose some of their threshold effect as increases in real income or in inflation would tend to pull more and more people into tax liability. Indeed, by the time the law was first amended in 1993, about 18% of Social Security beneficiaries had some tax liability (compared to about 10% when the law was originally enacted).

The idea that only one-half of the benefits would be subject to taxation did have some basis in the Social Security program. It was based on the simple notion that the employee had made only one-half the contributions used to fund his benefit (the other half having been paid by the employer). Since in private pensions, benefits in excess of the employee's own contributions are taxable, one could argue that 50% of Social Security benefits should be subject to taxation. As Ways and Means Committee member Wyche Fowler (D-GA) explained the provision on the House floor: " . . . although employees pay income taxes on their income subject to the payroll tax, employers do not because they can claim a business expense deduction for their payroll tax payments. Therefore, it is argued that requiring Social Security beneficiaries to pay taxes on their benefits--the part provided by employer contributions--is appropriate at the time of receipt."

Even so, this rough-approximation did not really give Social Security benefits the same tax treatment as private pensions--because the real "non-contributed" portion is about 85% of the average benefit, not 50%. During consideration of the bill in the two houses some unsuccessful amendments were advanced to make the Social Security provision more precisely like those governing private pensions, but ultimately the idea of a 50% portion prevailed.

The idea of taxing benefits, like many of the individual features of the omnibus bill, was not universally popular. Some complained that it introduced a form of "means test" in that beneficiaries of lower incomes were not subject to the provision (due to the thresholds). It was also argued that this introduced General Revenue financing into the system, and that it watered-down the equity of those beneficiaries who had to pay taxes.

Ultimately, the 1983 Amendments were passed in the House on the evening of March 9, 1983 by a vote of 282 to 148. On the evening of March 23rd, the Senate passed its version of the bill by a vote of 88 to 9. Both bills contained virtually identical provisions for the taxation of benefits, with only one change in the Senate bill: requiring that tax-free interest income be used in the computation to determine if the thresholds were exceeded. In the Conference, which took place on March 24th, the House accepted the Senate provision. Immediately following the conclusion of the Conference, at 10:25 p.m. that night, the Congress reconvened to consider the Conference Report. The House quickly adopted the Conference Report by a vote of 243 to 102. In the Senate, the debate went on through the night and finally, in the early morning hours of March 25th, the Senate voted 58-14 for final passage. (See detailed Summary of the 1983 Amendments.)

1993 Changes in the Law:

In 1993, as part of Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act, the Social Security taxation provision was modified to add a secondary set of thresholds and a higher taxable percentage for beneficiaries who exceeded the secondary thresholds. Specifically, the 1993 did the following:

Modified for a taxpayer with combined income exceeding a secondary threshold amount ($34,000 for an individual, $44,000 for a married couple filing a joint return, and zero for a married person filing separately), so that the amount of benefits subject to income tax is increased to the sum of (1) the smaller of (a) $4,500 for an individual, $6,000 for a married couple filing a joint return, or zero for a married person filing separately, or (b) 50% of the benefit, plus (2) 85% of the excess of the taxpayer's combined income over the secondary threshold. However, no more than 85% of the benefit amount is subject to income tax. The additional income tax revenues resulting from the increase in the taxable percentage from 50% to 85% are transferred to the HI Trust Fund. Effective for taxable years beginning after 1993.

Note that these were secondary thresholds and taxable percentages. Thus they did not increase the number of beneficiaries subject to taxation. Rather, they raised the potential tax liability for a subset of those already subject to the tax (those with higher earnings). Prior to this change, 81.8% of Social Security beneficiaries had no potential tax liability for their Social Security benefits. This was not changed, in any way, by the 1993 law. However, of the 18.2% already subject to potential taxation, 10.6% saw their potential tax liability increase, while the remaing 7.6% suffered no change.

The changes introduced by the 1993 amendments were designed to make the treatment of Social Security benefits more closely approximate private pensions--albeit, only for higher-income beneficiaries. To this end, the taxable percentage was set at 85% for these higher-income beneficiaries. New thresholds were added, but only to differentiate those subject to the higher percentage from those still subject to the 50% figure.

In explaining the rationale for these changes, the House Budget Report stated:

"The committee desires to more closely conform the income tax treatment of Social Security benefits and private pension benefits by increasing the maximum amount of Social Security benefits included in gross income for certain higher-income beneficiaries. Reducing the exclusion for Social Security benefits for these beneficiaries will enhance both the horizontal and vertical equity of the individual income tax system by treating all income in a more similar manner."

Under the House version of the bill, however, the increased revenues from the new percentage taxable was to go to the General Fund of the Treasury. Under the Senate version, the increased revenues were to go into the Medicare HI Trust Fund. The Senate position prevailed.

Under the House bill, there were no changes in the existing thresholds--everyone with countable income over the 1983 thresholds would be subject to the 85% rate. Under the Senate version, new secondary thresholds were proposed at $32,000 and $40,000--with the old rules applying for those over the old thresholds but under these secondary thresholds. For those over the new thresholds, the 85% figure would come into play. The Senate version prevailed here as well, except that the Conference agreed to boost the secondary thresholds to $34,000 and $44,000.

Thus, under present law, almost all Social Security beneficiaries still enjoy more favorable tax treatment of their benefits than is the case for recipients of private pensions.

Posted By: Huntz Re: Social Security question - 01/14/20
My BIL was going to wait until 70 years old to draw SSI.He died at age 69.
Originally Posted by Huntz

He gambled and lost, left that money on the table. I took mine at 66. I’ve gotten almost a years worth. I’m waiting to see how much it jack’s our taxes up.

I paid in from 71 to 89. I’d be curious to know how much I paid in. It probably won’t take 4 to 5 years to get my money back.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Social Security question - 01/14/20
Originally Posted by Huntz

He gambled and lost, left that money on the table. I took mine at 66. I’ve gotten almost a years worth. I’m waiting to see how much it jack’s our taxes up.

I paid in from 71 to 89. I’d be curious to know how much I paid in. It probably won’t take 4 to 5 years to get my money back.

It’s not how much you paid in, or how long it takes to make it all back, it’s the interest you lost. I have 1 retirement account that had 2 grand in it when I left the state retirement fund in 88 for University work that was tiaa/cref retirement. Let that money sit until last year when I started rolling it over to a IRA. Let’s just say that 2 grand went up a bunch in 30 years. Got another one from tiaa that’s been sitting for 21 years it’s well into 6 figures too.
SS should have been made into IRA’s back in the 70’s, but never happened because the Ponzi scheme would have fallen apart. The other change was that the excess money in the trust fund should have been in market value interest bearing accounts instead buying Government securities which was then used by said government to expand social reform and give aways. If IRC the Feds owe SS something like 5 Trillion bucks.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Very good point. And something very few of us are willing to face or even admit - we are not likely to live as long as we think we are going to live or hope to live. Look at your parents - how long did they live, particularly in good health where the SS money could have been enjoyed. Now, if you are in excellent health (be honest with yourself) add about 1-3 years to that age and make plans accordingly.
What if you are still working, making 80,000 plus, you can’t take your SS early, can you? That’s why I waited. They penalize you one dollar for every two you make over 17,640. I wouldn’t have gotten anything.
Posted By: TheSOB Re: Social Security question - 01/14/20
I would love taking SS at 62, but what scares me is now is losing the company health insurance. Not only would my income decrease, I now have to pay about $1000 a month for insurance for me and my wife. Any insight from those who have been through this?
Originally Posted by TheSOB
I would love taking SS at 62, but what scares me is now is losing the company health insurance. Not only would my income decrease, I now have to pay about $1000 a month for insurance for me and my wife. Any insight from those who have been through this?

People that retire at 62 must have a hell of a 401 plan or other income!
What if you are still working, making 80,000 plus, you can’t take your SS early, can you? That’s why I waited.

That boils down to a personal decision which can be tough, but I walked away from 65 K a year to retire at 62. Sold my expensive house in a high tax area, moved to a cheaper house in a low tax area. Made a few other financial changes and it was one of the best decisions of my life. Never knew how nice no stress at all could be.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Social Security question - 01/14/20
Bingo.

They made me an offer I couldn't refuse, when I was 58, with 40 years in the can. I was averaging over 80k, my base was about 67k, and it wasn't fun anymore. No brainer to take a cut and get my life back, epecially with paid insurance included.

Jackpot!
Posted By: MM879 Re: Social Security question - 01/14/20
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Bingo.

They made me an offer I couldn't refuse, when I was 58, with 40 years in the can. I was averaging over 80k, my base was about 67k, and it wasn't fun anymore. No brainer to take a cut and get my life back, epecially with paid insurance included.

Jackpot!

That's not the Jackpot it's the LOTTO!

Enjoy your great success.

I guess the goal is to have 12X salary or more. And I guess that depends on the salary and living style.
So with 80K salary, a nest egg of about a million would have an infinite income of 40 to 50K. Then put in SS of 20K and you have 60-70K sitting at home in a hopefully lower tax bracket. Those are all rough numbers.
Again what I read, the magic goal is to have 75% of your salary in retirement income. Naturally that will shift if you make 40K or 100K. Lot more fat in 100K income, but maybe that high roller is used to prime rib. Naturally the goal at retirement age is to have no debt, so 3/4 salary with no bills looks pretty good.
Another rule of thumb is to have 25X the amount you want to withdrawal annually. So if you want 40K, then you want 1,000,000 in a 401K. You can also give yourself a cost of living increase, and most likely the money will last forever. Even a 5% withdrawal should last forever.
This is on my radar and I am in fine shape, but very afraid to walk away from a large income myself. I am thinking of calling 60 quits.

I guess the goal is to have 12X salary or more. And I guess that depends on the salary and living style.
So with 80K salary, a nest egg of about a million would have an infinite income of 40 to 50K. Then put in SS of 20K and you have 60-70K sitting at home in a hopefully lower tax bracket. Those are all rough numbers.
Again what I read, the magic goal is to have 75% of your salary in retirement income. Naturally that will shift if you make 40K or 100K. Lot more fat in 100K income, but maybe that high roller is used to prime rib. Naturally the goal at retirement age is to have no debt, so 3/4 salary with no bills looks pretty good.
Another rule of thumb is to have 25X the amount you want to withdrawal annually. So if you want 40K, then you want 1,000,000 in a 401K. You can also give yourself a cost of living increase, and most likely the money will last forever. Even a 5% withdrawal should last forever.
This is on my radar and I am in fine shape, but very afraid to walk away from a large income myself. I am thinking of calling 60 quits.

Man you are forgetting about RMD’s tax man is going to love you. Especially if required to pull 10% or more from ALL accounts.
Once you reach 70 1/2 the IRS requires you to start taking withdrawals from your retirement accounts. These distributions are called MRD's (also known as Required Minimum Distributions- RMD's) and apply to all of your retirement accounts including Traditional IRA's, Rollover IRA's, SEP Plans and 401k plans or 403b plans you may be using.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Social Security question - 01/14/20
Better plan accordingly for long term health too. It can hit either spouse.
LTC costs, like nursing homes and home health care WILL wipe out savings (unprotected assets) in short order.

See an elder care attorney BEFORE making a retirement decision.
Originally Posted by WTM45
Better plan accordingly for long term health too. It can hit either spouse.
LTC costs, like nursing homes and home health care WILL wipe out savings (unprotected assets) in short order.

See an elder care attorney BEFORE making a retirement decision.

That’s good advice. Better call Saul
Posted By: lightman Re: Social Security question - 01/15/20
Originally Posted by lightman

Yep. I guess we like it!!!

No, we don't like it. But our vote is canceled out by all of the people that shop at Walmart or drive on I-30 or I-40! Just saying.....................
© 24hourcampfire