Home
Posted By: Takman Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
It’s not my nature to complain on a public thread but I gotta say I’m deeply disappointed with a recent warranty experience and I want to share this with fellow hunters. After an elk hunt in which I killed my first bull off of standing sticks I decided when I returned to purchase a set. I decided on the Primos Gen 2 trigger sticks. I purchased in October 2017. I used them to practice a few times over the next 2 years at the gun range and took them along on another elk hunt this past fall. (2019) Early in the hunt when I released the trigger to set up the one of the legs fell off. I discovered a flaw on the leg joint problem and upon return called Primos. The kind lady said to send back for examination and was vague as to whether warranty was in effect even after I gave her the purchase date and model. I received it back today with a note stating item is discontinued, not under warranty, obsolete with no parts and cost for repair exceeds replacement. I got a generous offer to buy a new set for $114.22. So there are no parts and it is obsolete and it is only two year old? The cost to repair exceeds a new one? I guess after paying Mr Shockley his endorsement proceeds they can’t keep an inventory of parts? So all I’ll say is buyer beware.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
Trigger sticks are garbage.

Yes....the cheesey glue joint fails all the time.

They are really handy though!
Posted By: Takman Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
Yeah now I have to pay to throw them away. Salt in the wound.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
Mmmmmnnn?

I use a Gen 2 single model all the time. Haven't shot game off it yet, mostly very handy as a rest while using binocs.

Didn't know about the glue joint.

Knew they had a Gen 3, sorry to hear no support for the earlier Generation.

Kinda like this Win7 machine as of today.

Geno
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
have never used anything like that.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
Handy, but if moving parts or an instruction sheet are part of the deal, it's too complex to be dependable in the field. That, and plastic parts tend to fail in subzero weather.

Cookie has a couple for photography purposes, but they've not been reliable either.

The guys in Africa have it figured out, but there's a team of scouts, trackers, bearers, and PH's to pack everything around.

Admittedly, I shake enough that off hand shots will only involve my possibly being freight trained. With every sighting, my first thought is always where is a rest? Most often I go to my externally framed back pack. Then shrubs, trees, rocks, stumps, or build a rest with available snow.

Good luck,
Agreed. If I can use my pack sitting or lying down much preferred. When I killed the bull in 2017 the grass and brush were too high and the standing sticks were invaluable.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
I always carry a single trekking pole. It's amazing how many ways you can use it for a good rest. It just takes some practice in the field.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
Consider them part of the cost of last falls hunt and move on. Like gas.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Consider them part of the cost of last falls hunt and move on. Like gas.

Good advice
Posted By: Redneck Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by stxhunter
have never used anything like that.
Nor have I... And I never will... FWIW.. smile
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
I've used a Primos Trigger Stick in the bipod configuration for coyote hunting for about the past 10 years or so. Love them, and so far no problems.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I always carry a single trekking pole. It's amazing how many ways you can use it for a good rest. It just takes some practice in the field.
I bought one of the cheaper shooting sticks with the locking joints. It works, but I find my self using it for walking support, and it's too flimsy for that. I will be going to a trekking pole.too. Thanks for your experience with this Rock Chuck.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
I got the three legged beast, parts keep falling off of it.

JUNK.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
I still carry an old set of Stony Point Polecats, those sobs must be 25 years old by now, work just fine, when they turned purple, I spray painted them drab green, brown and black, GTG!
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
Just more stuff to carry.
Posted By: hanco Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by Tyrone

That
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
Those contraptions that slide downward as you set up are always prone to problems. (trigger sticks, and the like)

Dust, corrosion, and wet conditions can and will affect the function. As does the engineering of the product itself. They are very cheaply made, but are very expensive!

Being a surveyor for 25 years, I learned something about tripods... smile

Hunting coyotes standing up, I just use a set of bi-pod sticks I keep extended. I Just carry them that way.

Not long ago, I got into night vision hunting, and found a need to have a tripod that's steady and allows full range of motion for shooting.

Bog Pod Death Grip.

https://www.amazon.com/DeathGrip-Lightweight-Hands-Free-Operation-Shooting/dp/B07L1NJNPS

Sitting position:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Standing position:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I got the carbon fiber model. Won't get bent as aluminum can.

The more I use this, the better I like it. smile

Originally Posted by hanco

That

LOL.

There's not a tree or a fencepost handy every time I shoot...

How about you guys?

How's your offhand shooting at say... 200 yards? grin
Posted By: EdM Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

That

LOL.

How about you guys?

Indeed. A stand is the ultimate rest...
That
LOL.

How about you guys?

Club champion 5 years running. laugh
That
LOL.

How about you guys?

Club champion 5 years running. laugh

Yeah, I've BTDT too. Targets.

But you shoot animals at random ranges offhand?

I find a few gutshot deer a year.

Maybe they wouldn't be if the hunter used a proper rest...?
I get what you are saying. I'm just jerking your chain. smile And I do usually hunt in the woods.

I do take a rest if I can or go down into sitting if I'm not already there. I love sitting, it is almost as accurate as prone but gets you above most of the weeds. And it's usually all the stability you need for typical hunting ranges (<=200) and typical targets. I have taken standing shots at deer, but it better be a sure thing for me to do that. I respect the animal.

What I despise is dragging a deer and a bunch of other stuff out of the woods. The deer is enough! smile
Just bought this. Appears to be better built. We shall see.
Originally Posted by Takman
Just bought this. Appears to be better built. We shall see.

You'll like it!

If you don't, let me know, as I need a second one... grin
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
I found shooting sticks to be wonderful if one is hunting statues.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I found shooting sticks to be wonderful if one is hunting statues.

I dunno.

I'd kill hundreds of of coyotes each year using shooting sticks.

They weren't standing too still most of the time. grin

Here's one a shotgunner missed twice, but I took out as he was in overdrive... Shotgunner wasn't using shooting sticks, but I was, with the rifle.

You can see how easily I reposition my shooting sticks to hit the running coyote. (Nice meat report on the soundtrack as that V-Max hits the coyote too smile )

Posted By: FreeMe Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
Huh. I've always just used a couple dowels from the hardware store and a piece of string. Never broke it, but it's cheap to replace.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
Rockinbbar

I have the big death grip carbon as well. Bought for my kids hunting out of towers and blinds. Find myself using it a lot as well. Like it very much

I’m sure there is a lot better on the market for 3 times as much, but for the price you can find the bog death grip I doubt it is easily beat.
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Rockinbbar

I have the big death grip carbon as well. Bought for my kids hunting out of towers and blinds. Find myself using it a lot as well. Like it very much

I’m sure there is a lot better on the market for 3 times as much, but for the price you can find the bog death grip I doubt it is easily beat.

Yessir.

I don't feel too good about paying $600 for a hunting tripod... wink

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/colle...ripod-reaper-rail?variant=29213549658186
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
I hunt predators year round and always carry Vanguard sticks and a Crazy Creek or Helinox seat. Total weight is about 3 lbs. Easy, comfortable and steady and the sticks move easily and are adjustable so excellent on hillsides. Prone is rarely practical where I hunt.

mike r
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
I've used trekking poles as seated shooting sticks since 2007. Works pretty good.

In April 2019, my African outfitter used Promos Trigger sticks tripods for standing.. Seemed durable enough to me.
Posted By: Santiam Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
You are not alone... I don't buy anything Primos..Been burned by their junk before.. Not again...
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Trigger sticks are garbage.

Yes....the cheesey glue joint fails all the time.

They are really handy though!

Same thing on mine. Fortunately, a notable member here gave them to me to try, so I was out nothing. I sure wouldn't buy their products anymore, either. A rifle rest Lead Sled clone of theirs is poorly designed and can't be steadied enough to be of any value.

Primos is Scammos...
"Deeply disappointed" by a shooting stick. Still having trouble wrapping my head around that. Maybe the OP leads a charmed life because where I'm from losing your spouse to cancer or your kid in a car crash falls into that category.

Not trying to be sarcastic (for once), just don't see shooting sticks generating this level of angst.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
"Deeply disappointed" by a shooting stick. Still having trouble wrapping my head around that. Maybe the OP leads a charmed life because where I'm from losing your spouse to cancer or your kid in a car crash falls into that category.

Not trying to be sarcastic (for once), just don't see shooting sticks generating this level of angst.

I didn't see where he likened anything to cancer or car deaths.

But when companies are selling cheap Chinee chit for premium money, then refuse to honor warranty on said Chinee chit, it SHOULD be a reason to have concern.

Especially when it's hunters and shooters that make up the bulk of their sales.
Posted By: las Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
For several decades I have used is a single staff, my height, with a padded fork at the top. I carve them out of straight birch saplings, making them roughly (in both senses) 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter for a nice relaxed grip that fits my hand. One of the readers here dubbed it a "Moses staff". smile.

It's primary use is for walking on rough terrain, usually wearing a backpack, but I often also use it as a binocular rest, and have shot game off it several times. I have those things scattered all over the place up here, but since I painted the upper half of the last one I made neon orange, I've been using that one for about 15 years now. Catches the eye when I leave somewhere,...

About 5 years ago I bought a regular Bog Pod (pre Death Grip) , which works well for what it is designed for, but not so much as a walking aid. I think I have used it more for glassing than shooting, tho.....

I had to replace something or other on it., and the service was excellent. I don't remember if I was charged for the part(s) or not. I bought a camera adaptor/handle for it, but haven't yet field -used it. That adapter is right heavy - unlikely I'll go alpining with that part, unless it is solely a photo op.
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Huh. I've always just used a couple dowels from the hardware store and a piece of string. Never broke it, but it's cheap to replace.

It really is this simple.
Posted By: las Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
I get what you are saying. I'm just jerking your chain. smile And I do usually hunt in the woods.

I do take a rest if I can or go down into sitting if I'm not already there. I love sitting, it is almost as accurate as prone but gets you above most of the weeds. And it's usually all the stability you need for typical hunting ranges (<=200) and typical targets. I have taken standing shots at deer, but it better be a sure thing for me to do that. I respect the animal.

What I despise is dragging a deer and a bunch of other stuff out of the woods. The deer is enough! smile

Situations differ. Try dragging a 1200 lb moose out of the woods. A sturdy walking staff or trekking pole(s) is likely to save one from a blown out knee while packing out a 90-110 lb hind - and I've done it both ways up to a mile and a half, That rehab is a bitch, tho truth to tell, that one was a 100lbs of caribou - 8 miles.

Thank God I got old......not any smarter, just old..... smile
Posted By: papalondog Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/16/20
My $100 plus Primos shooting sticks lasted 1 hunt. The next time I went to use them they are froze up. POS!
Posted By: Takman Re: Deeply disappointed - 01/17/20
Maybe my words were poorly chosen, but my point is we all work hard for our money and it is frustrating to lay out $100 plus dollars to have the product not make it through a hunt. The real frustration is Primos not showing any sort of concern for the customer.
© 24hourcampfire