Home
Posted By: 284LUVR Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/16/20
Been going the belt route for several years but still enjoy my pocket clip blades.

Bark river city knife. It's a stout little bugger as well as being very discreet.

It's nice and all, but an EDC knife needs to be able to remove a splinter from your finger, not simply cut it off.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/16/20
I've got a BR City Knife with wood scales, and I like it. I removed the fire starter loop on the sheath to make it easier to slip in your front pocket.

I also have a bone-handled Charles May FireAnt that's easy to carry in the front pocket.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/16/20
I'll stick with a folder for EDC. In fact I much prefer a folder for hunting too and seldom use a fixed blade for anything other than filleting fish. I've got a Benchmade Griptilian in my pocket right now and it suits me pretty well for everyday chores.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/16/20
I alternate folders in as well. I guess it's just the knife nut in me.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/16/20
I prefer a fixed blade knife for EDC. I don't spend much time in populated areas and it's just handier for me.. I also prefer stag handles and a relatively short blade, not over four inches.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/16/20
I had my checkbook/ink pen/telescopic magnet find that bolt i dropped tool ,, in my front pocket yesterday . Those knives and sheathes wouldn't be comfortable in my pant pockets .
Folder for me .
Great looking knives nontheless .
Why not just carry a Leatherman Wave?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/16/20
Getting it done since the 1970's.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Ngrumba Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/16/20

My fixed blade EDC.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/16/20
https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Pendleton-Hunter-Knife/dp/B00U1I9PZ2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1ULEO06DLV78E&dchild=1&keywords=cold+steel+pendleton+mini+hunter&qid=1579196498&sprefix=Cold+steel+pendle%2Caps%2C243&sr=8-1

Fantastic little knife. Gutting and skinning deer and pronghorn is doable with this knife. IIRC, I've processed three critter's before touching up the blade.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/16/20
Looks like a nice knife. I sometimes carry a Spyderco Street Beat which is another fairly compact fixed blade although I think its blade is a bit longer.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/16/20
Most of the time I carry a folder, but on rare occasions take out one of these in a leather horizontal sheath.

https://bradfordknives.com/14-guardian-3

Depending on the handle you go with they can be picked up on Amazon for as little as $100.

This isn't a company you see a lot about, but I've been highly impressed with their knives for the money. I liked the little 3" version enough to buy a bigger one. Once again online prices are much better.

https://bradfordknives.com/25-guardian-45

This is about $115 on Amazon.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/16/20
Fixed vs folder is a common discussion among tactical guys (the real kind, not mall ninjas) at beer call after work/training. Opinions vary, and the science is definitely not settled!

Now, I'm not particularly concerned what you carry for mundane tasks like opening packages, trimming wires, cutting off a piece of sausage, etc... y'know, the stuff we all do with our EDC blades. For that, there's not a lot of argument either way other than your personal comfort and preference. But for serious applications, most guys prefer fixed blades.

The gist of it breaks down like this: if you get into deep enough fecal material to be resorting to a knife for fighting, you are in a real bad world of fecal material. Under those circumstances, the less thinking you have to do about it the more likely you are to survive. Note that I do not use the word "win". So in those circumstance, having to open a folding knife with one hand that might already be injured or bloody may be a non-starter. So most tactical guys I know carry a fixed blade, and often more than one.

The Ka-Bar TDI is one that a LOT of guys carry on an EDC basis, strictly for serious social purposes. I have one that I used for EDC for years, but I gave it away to a needy guy from a foreign land and haven't got around to replacing it. Carrying a deep cover knife like the TDI in addition to your EDC clip folding knife makes a lot of sense.
Originally Posted by DocRocket
The Ka-Bar TDI is one that a LOT of guys carry on an EDC basis, strictly for serious social purposes.

"Original" or "Large" TDI? Plain or serrated edge?
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/16/20
If I fall, and I am 68 years old and the chances get greater each day, the last thing I want in my pocket is a fixed blade knife in a leather sheath. If that knife is sharp there is a good possibility it will puncture the leather and stick into you somewhere. Now a Kydek holster may be somewhat safer but less comfortable.

Heck, I will not carry a fixed blade knife on my belt unless it is in a kydek holster and then I would prefer it be in my backpack if I have one.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence
The Ka-Bar TDI is one that a LOT of guys carry on an EDC basis, strictly for serious social purposes.

"Original" or "Large" TDI? Plain or serrated edge?

I prefer the original with a plain edge. I like the original composite handle as well, but I'm probably going to go with the skeletonized grip for the next one. It packs flatter to your skin. With the kevlar sheath attached inside your waistband and the skeletonized handle, a typical pat-down search will most likely not find it. Which is why a lot of coppers now make sure to run their fingers around inside the perp's waistband front and back after putting on the cuffs.
Esee Izula 2.
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/16/20
Mora, Companion ,great knife and less than 30.00

Mora Companion carbon steel

Just watched a couple of videos. Very interesting. Thanks for the tip.
Fixed vs folder is a common discussion among tactical guys (the real kind, not mall ninjas) at beer call after work/training. Opinions vary, and the science is definitely not settled!

Now, I'm not particularly concerned what you carry for mundane tasks like opening packages, trimming wires, cutting off a piece of sausage, etc... y'know, the stuff we all do with our EDC blades. For that, there's not a lot of argument either way other than your personal comfort and preference. But for serious applications, most guys prefer fixed blades.

The gist of it breaks down like this: if you get into deep enough fecal material to be resorting to a knife for fighting, you are in a real bad world of fecal material. Under those circumstances, the less thinking you have to do about it the more likely you are to survive. Note that I do not use the word "win". So in those circumstance, having to open a folding knife with one hand that might already be injured or bloody may be a non-starter. So most tactical guys I know carry a fixed blade, and often more than one.

Solid!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20
Always purposely include items in the picture not germane to the topic. It’s adds douchery.
Knife fights are so overrated
EDC non-fighter fixed blade

https://www.instagram.com/marauder.knife.n.tool/?hl=en

EDC Fighter Fixed Blade

https://brtbladeworks.com/gallery

In my opinion the best EDC production folder in any of these Maxamet, K390, CruWear, Rex 45, S110

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C81GDGY2/Para-Military-2-G-10-Dark-Gray-Maxamet/1094
Posted By: ScottBrad Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20
I just use a tactical pencil. I can carry it on a plane. Knives are so overrated if you know how to use a pencil.

YMMV
Originally Posted by ScottBrad
I just use a tactical pencil. I can carry it on a plane. Knives are so overrated if you know how to use a pencil.

YMMV

They are a great thing to have in situations were you are limited to carrying
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20

YMMV
Stuck a pencil in the arm of a big, fat third grader who had me by the neck demanding my lunch money when I was in first grade. It worked.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

YMMV
Stuck a pencil in the arm of a big, fat third grader who had me by the neck demanding my lunch money when I was in first grade. It worked.

👍
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20
The guy in the video is a dirt bag....Got busted for bank fraud when he owned Black Jack knives and has ripped off knife makers/designers over contract violations numerous times.
He speak with forked tongue.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
Always purposely include items in the picture not germane to the topic. It’s adds douchery.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: Bald1 Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20
Aside from a few nice folders I have carried regularly, I keep coming back to the Camillus Cuda Talon in either Talonite or 154CM (plain or serrated) for a front packet EDC carry. Comes clean of the sheath with a thumb push. Great size and handling.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: deflave Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20
Fixed blade as an EDC is a novelty.

Even on a duty belt. Way more trouble than they're worth.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by 257heaven

That’s funny!..😎
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Fixed blade for EDC ???

Prolly OK as long as it holds at least 15 rounds.........................

MM
I like these a lot.

almost perfect!!!

You need a royal flush in there too.
And some sexy African wildcat caliber reloads of course

lol
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-YAH!
Please tell me the elephants are a music box. ??

haha
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20
Knowing nothing about fixed blade knives except having 2 3.5 inch blade deer cleaning knives what is up with the TDI and is half moon looking shape? I guess I am ignorant in the area of self defense with a knife and wonder how the TDI knife shape facilitates this activity?
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Knowing nothing about fixed blade knives except having 2 3.5 inch blade deer cleaning knives what is up with the TDI and is half moon looking shape? I guess I am ignorant in the area of self defense with a knife and wonder how the TDI knife shape facilitates this activity?

You're less likely to lose your grip or hurt your wrist when you're driving it into a human body. It's a more natural movement, kind of like punching.

You know, for all those times you have to stab somebody to death.

It goes with a particular style of deployment (fighting style) that comes from the Philippines, loosely based on their Karambit knives, i.e., they are a Westernized version of the Karambit.

My nephew is a cop in a large Southwestern city, and carries one in uniform on his utility belt. It's a fixed blade.

I'm not personally convinced of its superiority over traditional knives as fighting implements.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20

This picture is ridiculous without an expensive cigar and some krugerrands.

haha

Why yes....yes it is. It turns and plays when you wind it up. LOL.

haha

Why yes....yes it is. It turns and plays when you wind it up. LOL.

Raider Red is a bobble head. The monkey is a neck massager. The furry critters jump up and down when you wind them up.

Come on.....what do you think......I'm plain?
I carry mine to cut stuff. They really come in handy on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. Oh.....and when I bring the mail in. Or when my fingernails are dirty.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20
MichiganRoadKill has made me several world class small fixed blades.
I carry mine to cut stuff. They really come in handy on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. Oh.....and when I bring the mail in. Or when my fingernails are dirty.

Plus you can stab somebody to death if you're ever in a pinch.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20
Always a plus!
Well......yea. I carry everything in the pic....so I can hypnotize them with the bobble head, sprinkle some Japanese Whisky in their eyes, knock the knife and/or gun out of their hand with the vibrating monkey.......do the deed......then wind up the furry critters and set them out to distract the children's eyes when they're walking by.

The mommy and baby elephant music box is just for my personal enjoyment when I'm out and about.

Posted By: UPhiker Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

In my opinion the best EDC production folder in any of these Maxamet, K390, CruWear, Rex 45, S110

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C81GDGY2/Para-Military-2-G-10-Dark-Gray-Maxamet/1094
Solid advice.
Posted By: jds44 Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20
An Esee Izula makes a pretty handy fixed blade EDC. I always carry a small SAK + a bigger knife. In office attire, the bigger knife is a folder with pocket clip like a Benchmade mini-griptilian. In jeans and a t-shirt, it's usually the Izula in a horizontal sheath on my belt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I stopped carrying folders when a liner lock folded up on me and laid my finger to the bone. Then I still had to haul 200# of deer out a couple miles, giving me time and cause to ruminate on the wisdom of fixed blades.

Full size knives fit on your belt if carried horizontally. Favorite is Spyderco Bill Moran. I have carried it most days for about ten years.Georgia ditched the racist laws limiting knife length, but 3" is about all that interests me anyway.

If I need something smaller or have to tuck my shirt in when in an office, the Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter does not alarm anyone. Benchmade got controversial after I got that one, but it is an example of how the knife does not have to be tiny if you carry it appropriately.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20
Have Bill Bagwell make you a five inch Damascus skinner, mine rides on my belt daily, have a little Case Lockhorn folder in a front pocket.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20

Tactical teddy bears are NOT douchery. Just my dos centavos...
Originally Posted by gunner500
Have Bill Bagwell make you a five inch Damascus skinner, mine rides on my belt daily, have a little Case Lockhorn folder in a front pocket.

Damn. Color me envious! Of course, you're of a size to make a 5" knife look like a toothpick, Jerry!
Originally Posted by deflave

You're less likely to lose your grip or hurt your wrist when you're driving it into a human body. It's a more natural movement, kind of like punching.

You know, for all those times you have to stab somebody to death.

Yeah. That was the concept the Ka-Bar guys brought it out with. I bought mine at a LE conference about 15 years ago, at which time they recommended mounting the knife inside your pants belt on the non-gun side behind your magazine carrier on your duty belt. That way you could reach it with your off hand if you were grappling with a bad guy who's trying to get your gun out of your strong hand. The tactic they demo'd with training knives was to draw the TDI with the left hand, insert the blade into your opponent's forearm at or above the wrist, and then rip it back toward the elbow.

But you could also use it in your fist in a series of short, sharp stabbing motions, a la Pulp Fiction, as Travis has suggested. I expect that works pretty well too, and doesn't require a whole lot of thinking about it.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20
As for selecting a knife that could be a good defense tool,....A North American Arms mini revolver is about the same size and weight as a medium size pocket knife. They're not a great fighting tool,,...but if the fight gets up close and personal I'll take one over a knife.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by gunner500

Damn. Color me envious! Of course, you're of a size to make a 5" knife look like a toothpick, Jerry!

LOL, it's clean and lays flat Doc, don't even know it's there unless you need it, that Master Blade Smith talent is even enough for a dummy like me to realize, haven't even got to the 11.5 inch bladed Damascus Bowie he made me, went to his place and shot Sharps rifles all weekend, trying not to founder on all the good eats his Wife was putting on the table, then got measured for the knife, i'll bring it if we ever wind up on another pig shoot or hunt. smile
I've talked with Bill on the phone a couple times, but never got around to traveling up there to shoot with him. He is a fount of knowledge when it comes to BP and Sharps rifles! Didn't know he was a knife maker, too. A man of many talents.
Posted By: NMiller Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by deflave

Plus you can stab somebody to death if you're ever in a pinch.

Make sure to clean the finger nail schmutz off before stabbing someone, you might give them an infection.
Posted By: cas6969 Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/18/20
I carry two fixed blade knives daily during the work day. Plus the folder in my front pocket. And the small pocket knife in my front pocket. And since it's winter, plus the folder in my coat pocket.

The fixed blades are used for harder tasks that would be abusive to a folder, as well as tasks that you probably shouldn't do with a knife. Hammering, bashing, scraping, prying.

I carry them in my back pocket. [Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

I carried the Benchmade daily for many many years, I only stopped when I changed jobs and it wasn't as handy / needed. Another job change a few years ago started me carrying the Boker, which has been great for everything but using it as a knife. It always left me longing for the Benchmade. I started to make a kydex health for both of them when I ran across the pocket sheaths. Not as handy getting the knife out, but it lets me have both with me, so I'm living with it.

One bit of fun with the Benchmade, I'd forgotten about until it happened again the other day. Someone will ask if I have a knife for whatever, and I'll hand them that. When they're done it's always a hoot to watch them struggle trying to figure out the locking mechanism so the can fold it up and hand it back. laugh

Posted By: deflave Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by cas6969
I carry two fixed blade knives daily during the work day. Plus the folder in my front pocket. And the small pocket knife in my front pocket. And since it's winter, plus the folder in my coat pocket.

The fixed blades are used for harder tasks that would be abusive to a folder, as well as tasks that you probably shouldn't do with a knife. Hammering, bashing, scraping, prying.

Are you a human auger?
Posted By: cas6969 Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/19/20
The other day at work I realized I had six knives and six flashlights on me. I was embarrassed for myself, to myself.

My record for handguns is five at once, hunting. laugh
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/19/20

Edward Scissorhands
Posted By: deflave Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/19/20
The other day at work I realized I had six knives and six flashlights on me. I was embarrassed for myself, to myself.

Seems legit.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/19/20

Belt or suspenders?

mike r
Posted By: johnw Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/19/20

Seems a bit much, maybe...

At work is different, and I carry a lot of stuff that most guys don't, but there I limit myself to one cheapy buck 3 blade. In my dinner pail I have a SAK, of course, who would be without one? And I have some sort of utility knife in about every toolbox I own. A headlamp on my hardhat, and a streamlight stylus pro in my shirt pocket are always with me. Various sorts of flashlights in the boxes as well.

Outside of work, I Generally carry 2 knives. The SAK classic is too handy and small to leave at home. And I also like the SAK Farmer, for a general use knife. If I'm gonna be away from the house, away from the truck, I usually carry the Benchmade Barrage. It's an easy carry with the build and blade to do heavy cutting chores.

Fixed blades carried are for guys who use a knife all day long as a part of their work. Commercial fishermen, rafting tour operators, even for them there is generally a better way...
Posted By: johnw Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/19/20

Agree wholeheartedly...
A fixed blade in the daypack or shoulder bag is a better choice for the most serious cutting chores.
If you wanna carry it, make it a folder...
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Fixed blade for EDC ??? - 01/20/20

Two is one, one is none, so a dozen divided by two hands only leaves five for each hand or one for each finger. Makes total sense in you flow-chart it. laugh

I find it lends size perspective, myself.
© 24hourcampfire