Home
Posted By: Fireball2 gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
Went into Cabelas today to redeem my points and find my wife a nice coat. Of course had to go check out the used guns.

All used guns have ties on the actions and trigger locks, so you can't put your finger in the trigger guard. Cabelas gun guard was watching everyone and telling customers to watch where they pointed them. He jumped on three guys. Told one guy a lady just left because you pointed a gun at her.

Another snowflake melted. What's a lady that's scared of guns with gun locks doing in a gun room?

Let the arguments and insults begin. LOL.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
Fireball,
You know one can't fix stupid, right? And there are morons everywhere we turn -- not all of them Democrats.
Posted By: lippygoathead Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
Regardless how "safe" a firearm is it should never be pointed at a person in this type situation. Period.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
Better question......why would you be in a Cabelas?

Posted By: ConradCA Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
No one should point a gun at a person without the intent to shoot them.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
Wish the BPS in nashvegas had used guns.
Something to check out.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
I have friends older than me, who are lifelong hunters and shooter, but have never had any professional instruction on gun handling. With long guns it's not too bad, but holy schitt everything they know about handguns comes from every bad movie made. Especially westerns.
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
Agree unsafe handling should not be tolerated. Cabelas pissed me off with their gunlock BS last week. I had no choice but go there for some fishing supplies. So I also walked the gun counter. They had a Springfield xdm in 10mm. Been thinking about buying one. Of course not from Cabelas, unless that impulse buy kicked in. Which happens to all of us when we fondle a gun at times. But figured hey it was at least a chance to handle one and I had no money to worry about impulse buy. All the handguns had trigger locks. I did want to try the trigger. More importantly I wanted to be be able to actually get a normal grip on the gun. The trigger lock was large enough that it would not allow a normal grip on the gun. I asked to remove the lock. Was told they only take the lock off if you buy the gun. I told them lock stays on wallet stays in my pocket and I left.
Posted By: deflave Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Went into Cabelas today to redeem my points and find my wife a nice coat. Of course had to go check out the used guns.

All used guns have ties on the actions and trigger locks, so you can't put your finger in the trigger guard. Cabelas gun guard was watching everyone and telling customers to watch where they pointed them. He jumped on three guys. Told one guy a lady just left because you pointed a gun at her.

Another snowflake melted. What's a lady that's scared of guns with gun locks doing in a gun room?

I see ol' Fireballz is dumber than ever.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
Hard to go in a Cabela's during prime time and not get a gun pointed at you several times. Same with BPS.
Posted By: cooper57m Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
A few weeks back I saw a fellow at a trap shooting range walking around with an O/U with the action closed and sweeping people with it's muzzle as he walked and talked to people. I asked him to open his action and to stop sweeping people with his muzzle and he looked at me like I was a two-headed alien. Too many people are seemingly unwilling to embarrass someone by saying something when they see this kind of stuff. After the slob opened his action and slinked off the guy he was pointing the gun at thanked me but never said a word to him about it. We can't be afraid to speak up.
Originally Posted by cooper57m
A few weeks back I saw a fellow at a trap shooting range walking around with an O/U with the action closed and sweeping people with it's muzzle as he walked and talked to people. I asked him to open his action and to stop sweeping people with his muzzle and he looked at me like I was a two-headed alien. Too many people are seemingly unwilling to embarrass someone by saying something when they see this kind of stuff. After the slob opened his action and slinked off the guy he was pointing the gun at thanked me but never said a word to him about it. We can't be afraid to speak up.

Exactly.

The safety rules are in place and adhered to for a reason.

There's no caveat for trigger locks or chamber flags or having the bolt out.

Don't do it, and don't let other people do it.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Hard to go in a Cabela's during prime time and not get a gun pointed at you several times. Same with BPS.

I live five minutes from a Bass Pro and if you start muzzle fugking people it will be the last gun you look at.

As it should be.
Posted By: ScottBrad Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by cooper57m

We call those people (the ones that won't say anything) cowards. Astonishingly, that about sums up 90% of the population. Yet they want the other 10% to fight for them.

Fugg people
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by deflave

I see ol' Fireballz is dumber than ever.

Still butthurt?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
I'd hate to work behind the counter in a gun shop.
A few years ago I was just back in Iowa after passing the test for a Canadian PAL. The Canadian instructor told me the fastest way to fail that test was to muzzle flash him.

So I'm in a gun shop in Iowa, and this fellow has a hand gun swinging it all over the place, every second word he said started with "F".

I agree, treat each, and every firearm as if it were loaded.
Posted By: CRS Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
Self explanatory

1. Treat every gun as if it were loaded, regardless of perceived or actual condition.
2. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
3. Always keep a gun pointed in a safe direction and never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
4. Be sure of your target and know your target's foreground and background.
Posted By: jnyork Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by lippygoathead
Regardless how "safe" a firearm is it should never be pointed at a person in this type situation. Period.

This.
Posted By: 700LH Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
I had a newly purchased gunshop (pawn) owner cock a strange handgun point it at me without thinking across the counter and pull the trigger,
I about freaked and yelled at him in a store with customers.
I saw the action was clear when he worked it was moving out of the way and didn't get enough time. A bullet would have struck me in the lower abdomen.
We don't go there anymore.
I have been around firearms my whole life and that's the only time that has happened, public or private, sometimes once is too much.
You guys would love the military veteran/martial artist concealed carry instructor in Grants Pass that has his concealed carry students stand in a circle and point their handguns at each other and pull the trigger "to know what it feels like". Of course the guns are cleared first, so it's all good, "we're all adults here". LOL

i couldn't get out of that place fast enough, and no I didn't. I refused to participate in their circle jerk.
You guys would love the military veteran/martial artist concealed carry instructor in Grants Pass that has his concealed carry students stand in a circle and point their handguns at each other and pull the trigger "to know what it feels like". Of course the guns are cleared first, so it's all good, "we're all adults here". LOL

i couldn't get out of that place fast enough, and no I didn't. I refused to participate in their circle jerk.

Is he licensed by the state or county?

Is he licensed by the state or county?

Don't know who licenses them and don't care.
Posted By: moosemike Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Better question......why would you be in a Cabelas?

Ah, a virtue signaller.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
I have never been a fan of looking at the muzzel of a gun in another persons hands regardless of the "knowledge" it is unloaded.

Gun shows are the best/worst place to get guns pointed at you

I started going to the largest gun show in the USA back in 2016

All guns are supposedly unloaded yet there have been two discharged weapons there in the past 7 shows

Are trigger locks effective? Never had one.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
I was standing out in back of the Tulsa Gunshow after it closed one time. I was talking to some guy about some AK's he had and looking at them. As we stood there, there was a gunshot from the front parking lot. The sirens started up immediately and he and I just quietly got in our vehicles and left. I found out later that some pogue had shot himself in the leg with a Taurus.

Guns are dangerous. Anytime large herds of so-called "people" are around there will be an accident. It's not if it's when and you don't want to be the one in front of the gun when it goes off.

I forget that you only sweat the super important stuff.

I forget that you only sweat the super important stuff.

Listen, I know your questions have only one purpose and that's not because they contribute to the discussion. Carry on with your little personal vendetta but leave me out of it.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
Those IDIOTS have never had a size 16 boot kick 'em in the arse!!
Posted By: 79S Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
The worse when it comes to any type of firearms handling are the mid 50’s and older crowd..
Posted By: Windfall Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
The Cabela's gun guys don't like those trigger locks anymore than we do, but because some guy decided to shoot himself at one of the Cabela's stores trigger locks became corporate policy.
Posted By: rte Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
You have obviously have never read nor practiced the Ten Commandments of safety.

1)Watch the muzzle, keep it pointed in a safe direction at all time.
2)Treat every firearm as if it was loaded.
3)Be sure of your target and what is in front of it and what is behind it.
4)Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot.
5)Check your barrel and ammunition.
6)Unload firearms when not in use.
7)Point a firearm only at something you intend to shoot.
8)Don't run, jump, or climb with a loaded firearm.
9)Store firearms and ammunition separately and safely.
10)Avoid alcoholic beverages before and during shooting.
Originally Posted by 79S
The worse when it comes to any type of firearms handling are the mid 50’s and older crowd..

Agreed.
Originally Posted by rte
You have obviously have never read nor practiced the Ten Commandments of safety.

1)Watch the muzzle, keep it pointed in a safe direction at all time.
2)Treat every firearm as if it was loaded.
3)Be sure of your target and what is in front of it and what is behind it.
4)Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot.
5)Check your barrel and ammunition.
6)Unload firearms when not in use.
7)Point a firearm only at something you intend to shoot.
8)Don't run, jump, or climb with a loaded firearm.
10)Avoid alcoholic beverages before and during shooting.

Who are you talking to?

#4 and 5 made me LOL, considering the firearms all have gun locks and action ties.

#7 is physically impossible btw
I bet there is at least one condom baby posting above.

So much for self defense!
Posted By: ringworm Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
Point one at me and I'll feed it to you.
Unloaded or not.
There's some good "common sense" gun control measures in that list.

Maybe we should store ammo seperately from the firearms so no one gets hurt? Maybe locked in seperate safes, in different parts of the house? It's for the chilren.

Are firearms to be unloaded when in your own home, since they're "not in use"? Does having a loaded gun laying behind every door and two in the shower constitute irresponsible gun handling?

Soundsl ike the democrats have made great inroads into gun safety after all!
We should render the bullets inert whole we're at it, since guns hurt people. LOL
I'd hate to have a cop see me with a cap gun today.
I wonder if the (hero) church volunteer that took out the bad guy mass shooter in 6 seconds had his gun and ammunition safely stored in different places?

*You know, since they "weren't being used", until they were.

What does "when they aren't being used" mean? My loaded guns are always being used, for my defense and peace of mind! And it's my Constituitionally guaranteed right to do it!
Come on men, common sense needs to prevail, don't fall victim to the PC gun control crowd.
they've made great inroads with brainwashing even gun owners into believing guns are inherently dangerous, even when inert.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
they've made great inroads with brainwashing even gun owners into believing guns are inherently dangerous, even when inert.

you again speak only for...and to yourself. Safe gun handling is a basic, but somewhat rare, competence, not a political statement.

mike r
Posted By: CRS Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by ScottBrad
Originally Posted by 79S

Agreed.

disagree, nothing worse than punk wannabe's
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by ScottBrad
Originally Posted by 79S

Agreed.

disagree, nothing worse than punk wannabe's

I've had more old guys point guns where they shouldn't be pointed by a factor of 100.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by lvmiker

you again speak only for...and to yourself. Safe gun handling is a basic, but somewhat rare, competence, not a political statement.

mike r

I agree mike
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

I agree mike

I also agree.
Posted By: smokinggun Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20

So much for self defense!

I wonder if the (hero) church volunteer that took out the bad guy mass shooter in 6 seconds had his gun and ammunition safely stored in different places?

*You know, since they "weren't being used", until they were.

What does "when they aren't being used" mean? My loaded guns are always being used, for my defense and peace of mind! And it's my Constituitionally guaranteed right to do it!

The hero church guy's gun wasn't in storage so what's that got to do with anything?

Listen, I know your questions have only one purpose and that's not because they contribute to the discussion. Carry on with your little personal vendetta but leave me out of it.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: bigfish9684 Re: gun handling opinion - 01/18/20

I watched this for the last 12 minutes non-stop and couldn't stop laughing. Is it weird I am half hard after? I think I couldn't quite get there because of the furballz quote.
Posted By: deflave Re: gun handling opinion - 01/19/20
We should render the bullets inert whole we're at it, since guns hurt people. LOL

Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: gun handling opinion - 01/19/20
Haha!

D'oh!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: gun handling opinion - 01/19/20
Same children same tired old responses.
Posted By: TomT Re: gun handling opinion - 01/19/20
While working behind the counter at a gun shop, JUST this past year, I’ve seen (including but not limited to):

Countless sweeps with rifles and handguns

6, 12GA slugs drop to the floor when checking a used “unloaded” shotgun that was brought in for sale.

Customers attempting to try on holsters with loaded firearms

A guy that told me his rifle (rem 700? Who remembers), “wasn’t grouping at 200 yards”, and when I uncased, cleared and looked the rifle over, it was OBVIOUS the entire scope set up, from base to rings was loose (even to the touch). I looked around hopelessly for Alan Funt (you old guys know what I mean) to no availe.

I EVEN had a black guy come in, buy a Seecamp .380, loaded it, and tried to put it on a thick, gold chain around his neck, and wear it out of the store.

...... I couldn’t make this $h!t up!

Even scarier is, these people vote and drive too 😁
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Fireball,
You know one can't fix stupid, right? And there are morons everywhere we turn -- not all of them Democrats.

I know it's two pages ago but that's why God created the Darwin awards.

Same children same tired old responses.
Originally Posted by bigfish9684

I watched this for the last 12 minutes non-stop and couldn't stop laughing. Is it weird I am half hard after? I think I couldn't quite get there because of the furballz quote.

Fireball'z posts tend to make more sense if you picture him as a blond girl.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Fireball,

I know it's two pages ago but that's why God created the Darwin awards.

Do you know what a Darwin award is?
Posted By: gophergunner Re: gun handling opinion - 01/19/20

If you don't have a problem with people pointing guns at you-loaded, unloaded, or "thought it was unloaded" that's your prerogative. As for me, I've got no desire to be shot by an "unloaded" gun. Every gun is considered loaded until it's proven not to be. Don't point one at me, and kudos to the guard for doing his job.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: gun handling opinion - 01/19/20
Hey GG, How are you wintering?
Posted By: Redneck Re: gun handling opinion - 01/20/20

Just this last summer one of the clerks at First Stop Guns in Rapid City took a long-barreled pistol out of the case and 'swept' both of us at the counter... I couldn't believe what he just did... And there was no lock on the TG.. Took the wife by the arm and told her "we're OUTTA here"...

Which reminds me - I meant to send a letter to that store regarding that instance and have the owner have a little confab and training session for everyone that works there...
© 24hourcampfire