Home

he was pig hunting over the weekend...says he say a bunch of these guys......

WTH ? ain't never heard of 'em ?

https://www.arizonahighways.com/nature/coatimundis

R they mean & fiesty like a Badger ?
That is a cool looking critter!
I had a friend back in college (ancient history) who had one as a pet. It was death on large insects. One day it ran off and vanished. I guess we were out of cockroaches. frown
Originally Posted by tikkanut

R they mean & fiesty like a Badger ?

A lot like raccoons.
Cool animals.

They'll come to a predator distress call too. smile Not that I'd shoot one, but they can come in, in some pretty good numbers.
See em all the time in unit 33
I know their favorite rock cliff the always hang around.
Probably a family of 50 or so.
Troop of coatimundi... they will surprise the chit out of you if you stumble into them in thick cover.

Kent
Funny critters..

Monkeys of the SW....
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Cool animals.

They'll come to a predator distress call too. smile Not that I'd shoot one, but they can come in, in some pretty good numbers.

Yep. Had some come in when we were calling for foxes many years ago. Had never seen one before so I didn’t shoot them. Very raccoon like, IMO.
they leave you alone. I expect you'd be in for a surprise if you tried to pick one up. (same as a squirrel or a racoon)
heard there is a new video of an ocelot from Southern AZ on the internet. probably passing through.

interesting.......

ain't never heard of 'em......
Meskin raccoons
Originally Posted by viking
Meskin raccoons

do they celebrate MLK day ?
They’re seem to be moving north just like the javalina. We saw one on the peaks in Flagstaff 5 years ago while hunting elk and a lady I work with had one in her yard that year, she got pics. Both were young males, they are roamers. Off chance it was the same animal but was on opposite sides of the mountain range. Have also seen pics of them from trail cams on Mingus mtn.
Raccoons and such are fur bearers, Coatis are nongame and have a limit of 1 per year bag limit. I wouldn't shoot one but know folks that have for a mount.

Kent

'Coons here............

shoot on sight.........
My uncle had one for a pet back in the 70s

Damn thing used to sit on his shoulder while he drove around in his car.

It was named Cody

Imagine that
It sort of completed my uncle’s dope smoking, just quite too young to make the vietnam gig, hippie persona.
I saw a family of them in a swamp in Panama, when I was down there for JOTC training, back in the day. We were fooling around with a Starlight scope, and saw them walking along. Neat animals.
Souped up coon..

g
Looks like 6 or 8 of them would make a good coat.
Probably 3 tails to make an arrow quiver.
i have seen them around from time to time, after dark. interesting little creatures.
Indeed, they do seem to be working northward in AZ. First experienced them in the mid-1960s in southern Cochise/Santa Cruz counties. If you were hunting deer and got into a canyon of theirs before you heard or saw them, they could suddenly set up a bunch of shrieking and scrambling - surprise you and concentrate your mind really quickly. They can really move as a group. I have not seen it happen, but do know that sometimes a few of them will fight with and tear up domestic animals - know of a pair of nice dogs and their owner that came out on the short end.
I saw them in the Mingus mountains in the '70s. Cool critters to watch.
Interesting. When I was in High school in the 60's I worked at the local Zoo. We had 4 of though critters. We called them the [bleep] eaters as they always seemed to be eating there own crap.
They good eating, sure is tasty roasted over A couple "cheese charges" fires.
The hide would look good hanging on my wall with the bassariscus.
Fugging azzholes of the jungle down in panama around Ft Sherman and JOTC.
Infil in your patrol base at night.
Raid and rip thru your fugging rucks looking for mre,s.
Strew your schitt all over the place.
Your fugging dry socks and t shirts all fugging mud covered and schitt....

Fugging Azzholes is what they are.
Koksucka,s had the training rotation and activity sites down to a science...

Lol!!!
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I saw a family of them in a swamp in Panama, when I was down there for JOTC training, back in the day. We were fooling around with a Starlight scope, and saw them walking along. Neat animals.

Just seen this ^^^^^
LOL!!!
Mutha fugga,s all along the road leading into JOTC in the mahinga swamp.

People feeding em in housing by the beach dont help matters either.

Fugging Cootamundies...........

LOL!!!
well i know they are as far north as dugas, bloody basin area of arizona, which is where i have run across them. mingus is not that far away.
A skinny raccoon.
Seen a bunch of them over the years in 34A and 36C. They never seem to get very excited but I have heard they can be mean as he!! if cornered.
I was once attacked by a troop of Coatimundis, they left me for dead

Really? how did you survive?

I played possum...

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
I was once attacked by a troop of Coatimundis, they left me for dead

Really? how did you survive?

I played possum...

Kent

Doh!

Geno
My wife had to shoo one away from her elk with rocks while she was waiting on reinforcements to get to her to help tote out her bull. She had never seen nor heard of them before and described it as a red haired squirrel like creature on steroids. Our guide told us they usually travel in groups and can be aggressive and get rough on dogs in the right circumstances. This was in the Gila NF, NM, Unit 16.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
well i know they are as far north as dugas, bloody basin area of arizona, which is where i have run across them. mingus is not that far away.

talking to some people in town here, they have been seen in Walnut Canyon. new one to me
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Just seen this ^^^^^
LOL!!!
Mutha fugga,s all along the road leading into JOTC in the mahinga swamp.

People feeding em in housing by the beach dont help matters either.

Fugging Cootamundies...........

LOL!!!

Dam canal zone..was there twice back in the 80's..wasn't unusual to see coatimundis digging thru the trash by the mess hall. And yes, 50, they would strew your stuff all over digging g for a C or MRE. And the dang howler monkeys....don't ever pop one with a marble out of a wrist rocket..one pissed off monkey screaming calls them from miles around....
I have seen them in almost every unit in the state below the rim. I have only killed a couple. I killed a big boar when deer hunting one year near Iron Mountain. The critter was LONGER than my tailgate. I should have had it tanned at least. You almost always see them in troop. I have, however, seen the largest ones as solitary males. I shot one in unit 23 in NM that was walking straight towards me while skinning a deer. When he got to 10 feet I shot him. Not sure what his intentions are but they have a mount full of teeth.

They are VERY hard on dogs. One guy I know lost his whole pack of Jags to one troop. We had a hound that would kill them but he had them figured out. Two years ago, hunting in Sonora, we had a huge male hissing at us. My buddy shot it with his 7RUM, guts were haning out. The cowboy's dogs charged in and the dang thing killed one dog and maimed the other with his own guts hanging out. I will shoot another but only if I had the right gun with me. Seems I only have a deer rifle when I see them
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Cool animals.

Yep. Had some come in when we were calling for foxes many years ago. Had never seen one before so I didn’t shoot them. Very raccoon like, IMO.

Where, Neal.
have only seen them twice when by brother and i had the lease on lake falcon/zapata.
Seems you cant go Coues hunting without seeing a ton of em. Thats my take on it.
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Seems you cant go Coues hunting without seeing a ton of em. Thats my take on it.

sitting still and glassing tons of country at the right times of day?

that sounds like a pretty good recipe for success.
Hunting camp reply whenever someone asks why you are late coming in... I was attacked by a troop of coatimundis...

My wife calls them cucamongas...

Kent
Originally Posted by renegade50
Fugging azzholes of the jungle down in panama around Ft Sherman and JOTC.
Infil in your patrol base at night.
Raid and rip thru your fugging rucks looking for mre,s.
Strew your schitt all over the place.
Your fugging dry socks and t shirts all fugging mud covered and schitt....

Fugging Azzholes is what they are.
Koksucka,s had the training rotation and activity sites down to a science...

Lol!!!

Beat me to it!
Story.... was down south of Arivaca hunting coues with my dad. I was about 11.

Late afternoon, nothing moving except two Coatis moving up the slope toward us. Dad told me to shoot one..... ok.... I was reluctant to do that but pulled the rifle up anyway.

Just happened there was a flat rock between the two of them.... watched them for a bit ....then they moved back end to back end with that rock in the middle.

Ok, so I shot the rock, chips flew and hilarity ensued.... each attacked the other and they both twisted and tangled all the way down into the gully.

Great fun!

My late friend Don Prentice told me of two stories of his encounters.

He was hunting mearns many years ago in S. Az when one dog grabbed a young coati. A troop dropped from the trees and the fight was on. Don had three german wirehairs with him that day. He said his mild mannered female flew past him and almost knocked him down to entered the fray. The dogs killed quite a few of them before the troop got away.

More recently around 15 years ago, Don's two German Shorthairs were with him while mearns hunting when they caught up to a troop. There was a running battle down the slope. Dogs left a trail of wounded or dead ones. Eventually the dogs came back with ripped up ears, and bleeding from a few cuts. He said ok girls you had your fun lets go back to hunting.

Dennis, amazing that coatis could kill several jag terriers!

Fortunately I have not had my GWPs with me when I encountered coatis. I have never bumped into them while mearns hunting. The largest troop I have seen had over 30 females and their young in unit 33.

They are the scourge of any canyon they travel. Az says you can kill one from Sept 1 through March 31. I have killed a few over the years while javelina or deer hunting. IMO their population is too large. They should be categorized as a varmint with no limits.

interesting stories.......

again......never knew they existed.......

Coons here.....I trap & whack every one I can.......
We also have ring tail cats in S Ca. They are in the raccoon family too.
Az has raccoons, ringtails and coatis.

Kent
Originally Posted by Azshooter
My late friend Don Prentice told me of two stories of his encounters. He was hunting mearns many years ago in S. Az when one dog grabbed a young coati. A troop dropped from the trees and the fight was on. Don had three german wirehairs with him that day. He said his mild mannered female flew past him and almost knocked him down to entered the fray. The dogs killed quite a few of them before the troop got away. More recently around 15 years ago, Don's two German Shorthairs were with him while mearns hunting when they caught up to a troop. There was a running battle down the slope. Dogs left a trail of wounded or dead ones. Eventually the dogs came back with ripped up ears, and bleeding from a few cuts. He said ok girls you had your fun lets go back to hunting. Dennis, amazing that coatis could kill several jag terriers! Fortunately I have not had my GWPs with me when I encountered coatis. I have never bumped into them while mearns hunting. The largest troop I have seen had over 30 females and their young in unit 33. They are the scourge of any canyon they travel. Az says you can kill one from Sept 1 through March 31. I have killed a few over the years while javelina or deer hunting. IMO their population is too large. They should be categorized as a varmint with no limits.
I know German Shorthairs fairly well and not much about the Wirehair variety, but those must have been some very special dogs to have wreaked death on Coatis in a running fight. A sizeable troop of those fast, agile and toothy critters aggressively defending their canyon would be a significant problem for most pairs of dogs.
I saw one of Don's GSPs (one of the two in that second coati fight), Ziza, chase a coyote while we were hunting grounds squirrels in Montana. She caught it in a throat hold and killed it fast! She was such a gentle dog around humans, just like that female that almost knocked him down in first story, amazing how they can become so aggressive.

As to true wirehairs or VVD they are tested on their sharpness in Germany against badgers! Well they used to be used....think the european badger got a bit rare so they went to cats. I watched to my amazement my GWP Thor dispatch a housecat in a wink when it wandered on to our porch.

I can't say for sure that any of it happened wasn't there. Knew Don for over 35 yrs and he didn't exaggerate.
My late friend Don Prentice told me of two stories of his encounters.

He was hunting mearns many years ago in S. Az when one dog grabbed a young coati. A troop dropped from the trees and the fight was on. Don had three german wirehairs with him that day. He said his mild mannered female flew past him and almost knocked him down to entered the fray. The dogs killed quite a few of them before the troop got away.

More recently around 15 years ago, Don's two German Shorthairs were with him while mearns hunting when they caught up to a troop. There was a running battle down the slope. Dogs left a trail of wounded or dead ones. Eventually the dogs came back with ripped up ears, and bleeding from a few cuts. He said ok girls you had your fun lets go back to hunting.

Dennis, amazing that coatis could kill several jag terriers!

Fortunately I have not had my GWPs with me when I encountered coatis. I have never bumped into them while mearns hunting. The largest troop I have seen had over 30 females and their young in unit 33.

They are the scourge of any canyon they travel. Az says you can kill one from Sept 1 through March 31. I have killed a few over the years while javelina or deer hunting. IMO their population is too large. They should be categorized as a varmint with no limits.

"They are the scourge of any canyon they travel"

what do you mean by that? they eat everything up?
I can remember when your dog bit me every time I tried to shoot a carp with your bow. She really hated that for some reason. Good thing they were not hard bites!

European badgers are wuss's. An American badger would be a handful for ANY dog. I don't think coyotes will even engage them. First off they are too stinky and they are teeth and claws 3" off the ground. I have had one attack my truck tire on the highway. Good thing I had 10-plies or I would have had a flat!
Just looked at this thread again. Yes the coatis eat everything! It is omnivorous and will eat a variety of different fruits, nuts and seeds, along with insects, birds eggs, rodents and small reptiles, Hard on quail nests and young which is why I am not fond of them.

Always wondered if the Popeye animal called a jeep was fashioned after the coati.
Just looked at this thread again. Yes the coatis eat everything! It is omnivorous and will eat a variety of different fruits, nuts and seeds, along with insects, birds eggs, rodents and small reptiles, Hard on quail nests and young which is why I am not fond of them.

Always wondered if the Popeye animal called a jeep was fashioned after the coati.

whack 'em & stack 'em..........
© 24hourcampfire