Home
Posted By: 16bore Virginia’s New Gun Laws Pass - 01/23/20
RICHMOND, Va. — Three bills that will prohibit firearm possession in public spaces, limit monthly handgun purchases, and require background checks for firearm transfers passed the state Senate on Thursday, marking the first of stronger gun-control legislation proposed by the new Democratic majority in the General Assembly.

The following bills were approved between two high-profile gun rights protests at the State Capitol:

Senate Bill 35: Authorizes any locality to prohibit the possession of firearms and ammunition in public spaces during permitted events or events that would otherwise require a permit. Introduced by Sen. Scott Surovell (D – Mount Vernon).

SB 69: Prohibits anyone who is not a licensed firearms dealer from purchasing more than one handgun within a 30-day period, making the offense a Class 1 misdemeanor. Exempts those with valid Virginia concealed handgun permits and those replacing a lost or stolen handgun, as well as law enforcement agencies, state and local correctional facilities, private security companies and those with special circumstances with a background check from Virginia State Police. Also exempts purchases made during a private sale for a personal collection of rare or historical items. Introduced by Sen. Mamie Locke (D – Hampton).

SB 70: Requires background checks for any firearm transfer and directs State Police to set up a process for obtaining such a check from a licensed firearms dealer. Anyone who sells a firearm without a background check is guilty of a Class 6 felony, and the person who receives the firearm is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. Exempts transfers between immediate family members and by estate administrators, as well as transfers during lawful activities at shooting ranges or similar spaces designed for target practice. It also exempts temporary transfers that occur while the owner is present or are necessary to prevent death or bodily harm. Additionally, it allows transfers of antique firearms, transfers that are part of a buy-back or give-back program and those that occur by operation of law. Introduced by Sen. Louise Lucas (D – Portsmouth).

SB 35 and SB 69 each passed along party lines with votes of 21-19. SB 70 passed the state Senate with a vote of 23-17, gaining Republican support from Sens. Siobhan Dunnavant (R -Henrico) and Emmett Hanger (R -Augusta). The bills must now be considered by the House of Delegates.

During the hearing, Sen. Amanda Chase (R – Chesterfield) said she was concerned about SB 35. She said the measure will create gun-free zones and disarm law-abiding citizens.

“The good guys won’t have the guns,” Chase said. “They won’t be able to protect themselves, and we’re basically creating a disastrous situation in which criminals will not follow the law, and it will only hurt and create victims.”

She referenced a 2017 Las Vegas mass shooting, which left 59 people dead, including the gunman, saying it occurred in a gun-free zone.

Sen. Dick Saslaw (D – Springfield), spoke in favor of SB 35. He said the measure does not infringe upon law-abiding citizens because they are still able to purchase multiple handguns a year.

“Twelve handguns a year is more than enough, for most citizens,” Saslaw said. “If you need more than that, go to Texas. They don’t have any laws.”

SB 240, known as the “red flag bill,” was passed by for the day on Friday. It would create a process for attorneys and law enforcement to file emergency orders prohibiting a person from purchasing, possessing or transferring a firearm if they pose “a substantial risk of injury to himself or others.”

By Andrew Ringle with Capital News Service
And Texas they will go.
Hope they all end up in court.
What do they mean by we don’t have any laws in Texas? What is a law?
Originally Posted by 16bore
quote from article: “Twelve handguns a year is more than enough, for most citizens,” Saslaw said. “If you need more than that, go to Texas. They don’t have any laws.”

That sumbitch is nearly as ignorant as some that post here.

Texas has always been a gun control state.
“12 handguns a year is more than enough for most citizens”

Thank you. So is a 32oz soda, but you can have 12oz and free refills.

Why can’t I buy them all in the same month then? Oh, because that’s dangerous.

Just let the potentional criminals know that they can commit a new crime with a new gun once a month. Then they have to wait 30 days to do it again. Good idea!!

Common sense!
The ONLY chance to overturn these is the next election.
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
....as soon as possible...

Sen. Dick Saslaw (D – Springfield), spoke in favor of SB 35. He said the measure does not infringe upon law-abiding citizens because they are still able to purchase multiple handguns a year.

“Twelve handguns a year is more than enough, for most citizens,” Saslaw said. “If you need more than that, go to Texas. They don’t have any laws.”

I can not express enough how angry it makes me when someone else trys to tell me what's "enough". Once you've made adulthood your on your own, bad or good.
Knew they would, that didn't matter, I just wanted to be counted.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
....as soon as possible...

I would not count on the judicial branch, it’s mighty flimsy.
The Democrats do not understand human behavior. All these bills will do is create more legal gun purchasing in VA. Every guy that wants something now is going to psychologically feel pressure to purchase it when it is available. A lot of folks will be making sure to get there "monthly" purchase going now. Very similar to what ol' Zero effected for the entire industry when his failed attempt at administration was in office.

I would place a bet on 2020 having a record-high number of legal gun sales in VA.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

And it would be so easy if people would just get off their arse and go vote!
Full court press against the Second Amendment across America. This is not an accident. National gin control is at a standstill, so the communists decided to go after guns State by State. There is real conspiracy and collusion here.
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap

And it would be so easy if people would just get off their arse and go vote!

Ain't that the fuggin truth!
I don’t think Virginians felt it was going to go this far, which is why you vote!
I agree 16B.
Little Mr. Hurst is getting after it down here with RU & VT student registrations along with general public registrations.
We as conservatives have to get the ball rolling on our side-starting now!
And contribute what you can afford to any conservative candidate with a chance of winning, starting with President Trump. Even the price of a box of shells helps. After all, Bernie is now the front runner (or close) of the democrats and his average contribution is only $15.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
[quote=16bore]quote from article: “Twelve handguns a year is more than enough, for most citizens,” Saslaw said. “If you need more than that, go to Texas. They don’t have any laws.”

When was the last time a criminal committed a crime with over 12 handguns??? WTF is wrong with these people?

The only good part is.......I REALLY don't understand their reasoning (or lack thereof)!

Andy3
Originally Posted by Andy3
[quote=16bore]quote from article: “Twelve handguns a year is more than enough, for most citizens,” Saslaw said. “If you need more than that, go to Texas. They don’t have any laws.”

When was the last time a criminal committed a crime with over 12 handguns??? WTF is wrong with these people?

The only good part is.......I REALLY don't understand their reasoning (or lack thereof)!

Andy3

BLOOMBERG-and his "all illegal guns in New York are run up from Virginia" slogan.
Those owned had no option. mad
This 12 handguns a year comment. Make sure I got this straight tha hit was just a comment or is that part of the law? You can only purchase 12 in a 12 month. Or one a month or??, never mind I found it.
So a guy can't even buy a decent collection from an individual even with the background check that's really asinine
I've said this for years. Probably have to pony up sooner than later.

I've never bought 12 handguns in a year. But I damn sure will start if they change the law.

I have no issue with anyone wanting to buy what they want and in whatever numbers anyway. But change the law, I'll pony up.

Stupid pluckers.
Whether it is 12 in a 12 month period or one per month, it is an infringement on the rights of the people.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The Democrats do not understand human behavior. All these bills will do is create more legal gun purchasing in VA. Every guy that wants something now is going to psychologically feel pressure to purchase it when it is available. A lot of folks will be making sure to get there "monthly" purchase going now. Very similar to what ol' Zero effected for the entire industry when his failed attempt at administration was in office.

I would place a bet on 2020 having a record-high number of legal gun sales in VA.

Yep. Co-worker of mine who lived in VA used to say "I have to buy one handgun a month, it's the law" and he sure did!
Was there any doubt that these laws would pass in the legislature? The fight continues.
quote from article: “Twelve handguns a year is more than enough, for most citizens,” Saslaw said. “If you need more than that, go to Texas. They don’t have any laws.”

That sumbitch is nearly as ignorant as some that post here.

Texas has always been a gun control state.

The funny part is, he thought he was slamming Texas when he said that.
Something like 80% of all murders are committed by 4% of the population: Young black males in the ghetto.

One handgun is enough to last someone like that a lifetime.

The one per month prohibition hurts and punishes only law abiding citizens.

Like someone else posted, it's like protecting motorists from drunk drivers by prohibiting sober drivers from driving on the roads.

Maybe the whole point of these laws is simply to punish conservative Republicans.
Maybe the whole point of these laws is simply to punish conservative Republicans.

The point is take guns away so government can feel safe when it seek rule with an iron fist.
I bet not.. Once a law's in place - especially those that give more power TO the gov't, the odds of overturning that are similar to that of a lemon tree being found on Pluto..
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
And contribute what you can afford to any conservative candidate with a chance of winning, starting with President Trump. Even the price of a box of shells helps. After all, Bernie is now the front runner (or close) of the democrats and his average contribution is only $15.

This is the closest thing to a solution I’ve read. You get the government you are willing to work for.
The assault against the second amendment needs to be stopped before it gets started. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by Raeford
I agree 16B.
Little Mr. Hurst is getting after it down here with RU & VT student registrations along with general public registrations.

Newscaster gone Delegate. He’s OK with 12 a year. Sadly it only took one to kill his fiancé. And one at Va Tech that killed 32. 12 makes as much sense as 100 or as 2. Was Hurst’s loss tragic? Hell yes, but no more tragic than anything that happened in Detroit last night.

Go after the black market and underground stuff. They know these laws won’t stop anything. They also know their voters demand to feel good about fairy tales and pixie dust.
Quite honestly, any LEO that try's to enforce should die right there.
Trump'll save us.

<sarcasm font off>
I just bought another Colt, a 6940. Another one that won't be registered. Saslaw can come try and take it anytime he's feeling froggy. It'll be here next Wed. so anytime after that I'm available.
Originally Posted by Raeford
I agree 16B.

Newscaster gone Delegate. He’s OK with 12 a year. Sadly it only took one to kill his fiancé. And one at Va Tech that killed 32. 12 makes as much sense as 100 or as 2. Was Hurst’s loss tragic? Hell yes, but no more tragic than anything that happened in Detroit last night.

Go after the black market and underground stuff. They know these laws won’t stop anything. They also know their voters demand to feel good about fairy tales and pixie dust.

From what I hear he's chomping at the bit to run against M. Griffith or for that seat should Griffith give the Governorship a go.
Doubt he can beat Griffith head-to-head but fear anyone else from here running against him.

Hurst has an agenda and the backing of Bloomberg.
.....and an ego to stroke. It’s all about him.
Their agenda is Agenda 21/30.

How often, after being elected to repeal Democrat laws, do Republican actually do that?
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Full court press against the Second Amendment across America. This is not an accident. National gin control is at a standstill, so the communists decided to go after guns State by State. There is real conspiracy and collusion here.

Conspiracy theorist!
The D's need ...a pox ....
I was in Richmond on Monday. Great time, all kinds of folks.

At least 20 k guns outside the wire. 0 problems.

King Ralph is poking the wrong hornets nest.
have lived in Va since 1995 and was considering retiring here, now thinking otherwise...perhaps North Carolina or Tennessee...
Twelve guns a year, twelve guns a day...doesn't matter. There should be no limit. The Red Flag Laws don't just violate the 2nd Amendment, they violate the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing whether they are called "Red Flags" Emergency Protection or whatever. On and on. Anybody that thinks gun control laws are about protecting the populace from killing each other is stupid. Anybody that thinks this is about crime is stupid. It is about removing guns from the hands of normal people and making it safer for government tyranny.

The NRA ain't your friend. Neither are large parts of the Republican Party. We are all at fault for not doing something about this stuff in other states before it ever reached Virginia. New York and California come to mind. Constant waiting endlessly on the courts for at best, some lukewarm ruling like Heller. We are all just frogs being slow-boiled.
Don't give up the Ship! If you do, they win. Sic Semper Tyrannis!
The whole political system in the USA has failed. Not just at the national level. Things are being passed that don't make sense. The proliferation of too much money in too few hands is the most easily seen reason for all this. It is evident that people are being compromised and bought off at all levels. Local politicos are just less expensive whores than those on the national stage.
Oh, I'm at a boil and I ain't no frog
Originally Posted by DaveDaDeerslayer
I was in Richmond on Monday. Great time, all kinds of folks.

At least 20 k guns outside the wire. 0 problems.

King Ralph is poking the wrong hornets nest.
"Problems" pertaining to guns and their ownership is not and never has been the point. That is just for the gullible. Even if there had been some legitimate shooting, that's not the point of gun confiscation and control. It is simply to take the guns from the common people and make sure only those in charge have them. It is about control so they can enslave you for financial gain. That's what it always has been about. The government and those who own it could care less if you kill your neighbor and rape his daughters. They just give lip service to it being about controlling crime and creating a safer society. All the arguments about that end on our side, but it doesn't matter because that is all smoke and mirrors to start with. They control the MSM and they control the psychology of the country...or at least try to in the case of the latter.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

That tracks with my experience in Oregon. Every time a law passes, there is a large flurry of activity to do the thing that is about to be banned. Ban high capacity magazines, expect a run on the market. Ban semi-autos, expect a run on the market. Limit ammo or component purchases, expect a run on the market.

Tom
Originally Posted by DaveDaDeerslayer
Oh, I'm at a boil and I ain't no frog
It's okay to win the argument with them on every level, every aspect, but it both takes up time, like arguing with a troll on here, and also achieves their objective of moving the argument somewhere it isn't even about to begin with, like "if we remove all the guns, crime will drop". It's not about crime or safety (at least "our" safety) to begin with. It's about removing guns from the people's hands so that a few can control every aspect of their lives as a rancher controls his herd of cows or sheep.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Twelve guns a year, twelve guns a day...doesn't matter. There should be no limit. The Red Flag Laws don't just violate the 2nd Amendment, they violate the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing whether they are called "Red Flags" Emergency Protection or whatever. On and on. Anybody that thinks gun control laws are about protecting the populace from killing each other is stupid. Anybody that thinks this is about crime is stupid. It is about removing guns from the hands of normal people and making it safer for government tyranny.

The NRA ain't your friend. Neither are large parts of the Republican Party. We are all at fault for not doing something about this stuff in other states before it ever reached Virginia. New York and California come to mind. Constant waiting endlessly on the courts for at best, some lukewarm ruling like Heller. We are all just frogs being slow-boiled.

Good post.
EE is on fire. Spot on. All it's ever been about is disarming White folks to consolidate the power of the tribe who rules us. They only fear us while we're armed. Take that way, and look out for what they will bring down on us next. For a clue, study the Bolshevik revolution in Russia and its aftermath.
True, the MSM was crying that nothing happened.

Utube has scrubbed a lot of videos.

King Ralph can go fuq himself and murder some more babies.

Will Not Comply
Posted By: RAS Re: Virginia’s New Gun Laws Pass - 01/23/20
I am happy that they passed it.

Why?

Because it wakes up the rest of the country and shows the following.

1. This is what happens when Democrats are in charge.

2. Democrats solely have the knowledge to understand what is enough for law abiding adults. Especially when it comes to firearms. In short, you are a child and .va.gov are your parents now.

3. Never believe Democrats when they say they care about your 2nd Amend rights. They don’t. Actually, they despise it. Personal protection through the use of firearm is only for the elites. Their lives matter more than yours. Without them, you would be helpless and lost.

4. What happens when you flood a state full of immigrants who vote with Democrats 70/30.

5. The importance of Republican voters to be voting in every single election. No excuses.

SB 70: Requires background checks for any firearm transfer and directs State Police to set up a process for obtaining such a check from a licensed firearms dealer. Anyone who sells a firearm without a background check is guilty of a Class 6 felony, and the person who receives the firearm is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. Exempts transfers between immediate family members and by estate administrators, as well as transfers during lawful activities at shooting ranges or similar spaces designed for target practice. It also exempts temporary transfers that occur while the owner is present or are necessary to prevent death or bodily harm. Additionally, it allows transfers of antique firearms, transfers that are part of a buy-back or give-back program and those that occur by operation of law. Introduced by Sen. Louise Lucas (D – Portsmouth).

OK...providing your firearm isn't purchased past the date this goes into effect, the transfer of same won't have to have a background check. If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy simply pre-date the bill of sale. Or do nothing at all. Simple. Phouc them...
People will buy their one per month and flip on the black market. They have to know that. They want to create more prisoners. They can't sell prison bonds if they don't have to build new prisons.

Who's gonna fund this mess when everyone is on welfare or in prison?
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Conspiracy theorist!

Californians have known this for a long time.
Most people were too busy starting idiotic bash threads to notice what was coming up their own driveway

How often, after being elected to repeal Democrat laws, do Republican actually do that?

NEVER!

Look what happened the first two years of the Trump presidency,
nada, nothing, zip,
All of a sudden gun issues were forgotten.
Originally Posted by Certifiable

Conspiracy theorist!

Most people were too busy starting idiotic bash threads to notice what was coming up their own driveway

Show us some pictures of caliotoe's big anti-gun law rally
Where is ElkSlayer when you need him?
Originally Posted by 700LH

Conspiracy theorist!

If I could, would that render what’s happening in Virginia moot?

Of course not....just another smart ass reply
Exempts transfers ......................, during lawful activities at shooting ranges or similar spaces designed for target practice.

So let me get this straight. If we are on a range I can sell a gun with no background check?
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Where is ElkSlayer when you need him?

Choking on watch4bear's nuts
[quote=Mannlicher]Full court press against the Second Amendment across America. This is not an accident. National gin control is at a standstill, so the communists decided to go after guns State by State. There is real conspiracy and collusion here.

Conspiracy theorist!

If I could, would that render what’s happening in Virginia moot? [Quote]

Of course not. And attacking Californian gun owners is Bullshit. Most of the people doing the attacking sit on their asses and do nothing because they live in a state with a conservative leaning majority by chance. Pretty sad that people came to Virginia from all over the country, some driving 20+ hours one way and a [bleep] pile of people I know wouldn't drive an hour and a half because they were chickenshit that Antifa would be there or that the cops would be taking names. I know who will and who won't stand with us if [bleep] gets crazy.
I've got a ton of respect for you guys that came from outside to stand shoulder to shoulder with us. I hope I don't have to, but I will repay that debt if It comes to that.

Conspiracy theorist!

Of course not....just another smart ass reply

I was just pointing out other states are not standing idle like the west coast,
I believe the only way to correct this is to vote the supporters out of office in the next election, replacing them with pro 2A politicians, then repeal those laws recently passed. But this won't happen. VA just took a hit from the anti gun group, and I fear more will follow. Imagine the next step from the anti gun politicians. Pro 2A folks in VA better get their A game ready.

And if that does not happen, the people are complicit.
Bloomberg, is busy trying to buy American Politics... corruption...

he needs to be jailed on that alone and the key thrown away....

next on the list should be Adam Shiff...
Originally Posted by jackmountain
[quote=The_Real_Hawkeye][quote=Mannlicher]Full court press against the Second Amendment across America. This is not an accident. National gin control is at a standstill, so the communists decided to go after guns State by State. There is real conspiracy and collusion here.

Conspiracy theorist!

Of course not. And attacking Californian gun owners is Bullshit. Most of the people doing the attacking sit on their asses and do nothing because they live in a state with a conservative leaning majority by chance. Pretty sad that people came to Virginia from all over the country, some driving 20+ hours one way and a [bleep] pile of people I know wouldn't drive an hour and a half because they were chickenshit that Antifa would be there or that the cops would be taking names. I know who will and who won't stand with us if [bleep] gets crazy.
I've got a ton of respect for you guys that came from outside to stand shoulder to shoulder with us. I hope I don't have to, but I will repay that debt if It comes to that.

Jack.. you have my respect and appreciation for what you’ve done both there, and here keeping us abreast of the situation
[quote=The_Real_Hawkeye][quote=Mannlicher]Full court press against the Second Amendment across America. This is not an accident. National gin control is at a standstill, so the communists decided to go after guns State by State. There is real conspiracy and collusion here.

Conspiracy theorist!

Careful. Ballz may leave his safe space and verbally attack all of us again.
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Exempts transfers ......................, during lawful activities at shooting ranges or similar spaces designed for target practice.

So let me get this straight. If we are on a range I can sell a gun with no background check?

I believe these ass hats think if I hand you a rifle and say “shoot this” that it’s a “transfer” of possession.
The restriction on one gun per month is classic mis-direction. The real reason they want this is that it clears the way for a mechanism to measure and track compliance. And that, boys and girls, is registration. They intend to require people to register their guns with the state so that when they decide to go for confiscation they have a handy list of who owns what.
OP must be bullshit.

There was this big rally.

And the Governor was told that the people weren't going to accept these new gun laws.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
[Linked Image]

Yep.
Originally Posted by hanco
What do they mean by we don’t have any laws in Texas? What is a law?

In my former life, I had to attend a lot of meetings comprised of "Homeland Security" and FEMA personnel. You would not believe the contempt they had for anyone from Texas.

"What you do in Texas doesn't apply to the real world." Is a quote I will never forget.
State laws like these are likely to prompt Virginians to drive to contiguous states to buy their firearms.
Do handguns have to be registered in VA? If so, how would a collection be dispersed to named heirs? If it's 1/Mo, where does the collection reside during pending dispensation? How is the heir indemnified against loss should they be kept in someone else's possession pending dispensation?
Originally Posted by horse1
Do handguns have to be registered in VA? If so, how would a collection be dispersed to named heirs? If it's 1/Mo, where does the collection reside during pending dispensation? How is the heir indemnified against loss should they be kept in someone else's possession pending dispensation?

And the democrats said “huh?”

Yeah, right. Pop passes away, then what? Grandad has his “one a month” collection and dies with 3 years worth. Grandma is now a felon? Or does she have to fill out a 4473 once a month for the next 3 years?

But wait, grandpa can’t sign his part.

Phuqqing asswipe libtard stupid mother phuqqers...
I'll be dead by the time all the old man's handguns are transferred once a month.
The proverbial discussion of how we comply is exactly what the Democrats are looking for.

Once their laws are accepted with standing then the wiggling and the loopholes are sought..

We are a long way from that if we can stand together.
I'll be dead by the time all the old man's handguns are transferred once a month.

Hey, I'm just trying to wrap my head around what all this does. Looking at the OP, it looks like the law has a restriction on purchasing, not selling. It also looks like it has a carve-out from the purchase exception for people with CCWs. Also, the 1 a month law applies to "purchases". How is that defined? Does it include donations? As far as transfers go, it looks like estate transfers don't require the background check.

I did not see a magazine capacity limit in the OP, unless I missed it. Did that pass?

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a bad set of laws. But, it looks like someone carved out some things to get it passed that may allow people to do some things until people start calling them "loopholes" and trying to close them.
© 24hourcampfire