Home
Posted By: northern_dave winter toy - 01/23/20
I've had a couple of similar machines in the past, just picked this one up a couple of weeks ago. 1976 tucker sno cat with a 3.53 detroit diesel engine, 5 spd manual trans. I've been tinkering with it off an on when time permits. Split the tracks for idler wheel bearing service, grease the carriers, change oit oils in the axles, transfer case, engine... fuel filters, some fuel line work... More work to do but I've got it running and functioning pretty well.

[Linked Image from i43.photobucket.com]

Posted By: wabigoon Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
That is a serious machine.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: winter toy - 01/23/20

The detroit diesels were stout, dependible units. 2 stroke diesel engines that used a roots style blower to evacuate exhaust from the engine (scavanging effect). This one is a 3 cylinder, 53 cubes per cylinder.

Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Off the charts cool.
I'll bet they can hear you comin' Dave.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: winter toy - 01/23/20

Super Kool........

Posted By: 5sdad Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Everyone should have one!
Posted By: JeffyD Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
You're not gonna need to call AAA to pull you out of a snowbank.
Posted By: White_Bear Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Very cool machine. I want one!
Posted By: Redneck Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
I love it..... Nice find..
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
I wanna go for a spin !

Prolly throw in some extra gas eh ?
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
A whole lot of awesome right there!!
Posted By: aalf Re: winter toy - 01/23/20

Too cool....boys and their toys...... grin
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
We threaten off and on to buy a Thiokol snow cat.

They are spendy!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Very cool machine. I want one!

Me too!

Do they float?
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Everyone should have one!

Send it over. My house is right up against the north facing mountain and is always late to thaw. Neighbors across the holler are having a cookout and I'm still snowed in. grin
Posted By: Jerryv Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
That is awesome! How long do the tracks last? Sort of looks like the weak link. I bet it is a biotch to tear one up when you are out in a swamp.

Jerry
Originally Posted by northern_dave

The detroit diesels were stout, dependible units. 2 stroke diesel engines that used a roots style blower to evacuate exhaust from the engine (scavanging effect). This one is a 3 cylinder, 53 cubes per cylinder.

Also, I'm not familiar with a "roots style blower."

Is it kinda like this?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Rooster7

Also, I'm not familiar with a "roots style blower."

Is it kinda like this?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You need Jesus.
Posted By: GRF Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
cool machine dave, thanks for sharing the videos and pictures
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Super cool find Dave !!

Our local ski club used to have a Tucker, heard great stories.

grin
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
PS;

I knew you'd been "quiet" for a good reason !
Posted By: hanco Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Damn. I want one and we don’t even have snow down here!!!
Posted By: Osky Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
I’ve got a private fully 2 mile long driveway, wonder how tough it would be to rig a good plow blade on one of those.
Looks like a fun winter trick.

Osky
Originally Posted by Osky
I’ve got a private fully 2 mile long driveway, wonder how tough it would be to rig a good plow blade on one of those.
Looks like a fun winter trick.

Osky

This one has had a 6 way blade on it at one time. Gone from the machine before my purchase but it is not uncommon for them to have blades.
Posted By: grouseman Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
You'll be the go-to guy for hauling ice fishing shacks on & off the lake. What a beautiful machine.
I think the blowers were what the dragsters used on the hemi's to supercharge.
Originally Posted by grouseman
You'll be the go-to guy for hauling ice fishing shacks on & off the lake. What a beautiful machine.

That's the idea. The machine is headed to the lake soon.
Gilbert wants one now. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Borrowed from these original applications and applied to automotive racing, yes.

The blowers that "gear heads" know as "471" "671" "871" are from detroit diesel 4-71, 6-71 and 8-71 engines. The first digit is for number of cylinders, second number is for cubic displacement per cylinder. The 8-71 detroit was a pretty big engine. Originally the blowers were carefully designed to be balanced with the air flow that the engines displaced, the idea was not to create "boost", it was to evacuate the spent air and gasses from the engine without having those aditional cycle strokes that a 4 cycle engine would have.

In automotive applications, the 471 blower is a "cute blower" that works well on a mild small block V8. 671 more typical for a serious small block and more commonly in big blocks. 871? You need a big V8 and it's not for grocery runs any more.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
I am surprised at how much less there is to the inside of the track drive/carrier than I would have expected.
Simple is good.
Posted By: Toddly Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Off the charts cool. I like your toys.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Dave you are one awesome dude. I immediately thought of the movie "The Shining!" Your posts are some of the best on the Fire.
I envy your skill with everything transportation! May you prosper, and be in health, even as your soul prospers!
My ex brother in law trucker called the old Detroit's converters, the converted Diesel fuel to noise.

They did a lot of work back when, rock crushers, conveyers, bulldozers, skidders, trucks, you name it.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Prayers for a really big snow storm up your way Dave grin
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Would love a ride in that beast!
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Would love a ride in that beast!

Would be fun wouldn't it?? I'll have to mosey up there one of these weekends.
Posted By: Morewood Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Originally Posted by hanco
Damn. I want one and we don’t even have snow down here!!!

x2

Sweet machine, Dave. I imagine it's pretty nimble in the mud too.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Dave you are one awesome dude. I immediately thought of the movie "The Shining!" Your posts are some of the best on the Fire.
I envy your skill with everything transportation! May you prosper, and be in health, even as your soul prospers!

The classy gentleman, as always. Thanks, I hope you are well.
My ex brother in law trucker called the old Detroit's converters, the converted Diesel fuel to noise.

They did a lot of work back when, rock crushers, conveyers, bulldozers, skidders, trucks, you name it.

Also known as "road oilers"

"If there aint oil under it, ther aint oil in it."

lol

Thankfully mine seems sealed up pretty well. That damn CF-2 rated heavy duty oil BETTER stay inside the engine, it's expensive! lol
Posted By: Salty303 Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Well I'll be damned. I've seen all sorts of snow cats through the years mainly around ski hills but a lot in industry too. Seismic crews, hydro crews and such but I don't think I've ever seen one with 4 independent tracks, just two. Well, other than the kits to put on your Jeep, utv or atv. Yeah, simple... leaf springs and a big ass axle. Noice. The pivoting of the drives almost acts as independent suspension anyways. That thing was ahead of its time.

I think this rig has found a good home in you Dave I see although simple she probably needs a little lovin from time to time. Well except that Jimmy that's one sweet little old plant! I was in cahoots with a buddy on a 30 foot wooden ex commercial salmon troller with a 453 in it. Naturally aspirated 1 gallon an hour all day long. Just glance at er and she'd start, loved that motor.

That thing's got balls! A 6 way blade would NOT be out of place. If you're pulling ice shacks you might have to figure harnesses to tow 3 or 4 at once cool
Posted By: Loggah Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Dave, I have seen your machine on the other forum ,FF, pretty neat with the 3-53 bit noisey i bet! i got a few snow toys myself but there a bit older.Not as comfortable or warm as yours.
1925 lombard
[Linked Image from pbase.com]

1949 tuckers

Originally Posted by Loggah
Dave, I have seen your machine on the other forum ,FF, pretty neat with the 3-53 bit noisey i bet! i got a few snow toys myself but there a bit older.Not as comfortable or warm as yours.
1925 lombard

1949 tuckers

Oh wow! Awesome!!!
Dave, what does the Tucker weigh and how wide is it?
Originally Posted by Salty303

It's around 6200 lbs and just under 8' on width.

Nice. It'd fit on a tandem flat deck trailer and tow it with a pick up...
Posted By: Fugawe Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
"You ever take it off any sweet jumps?"
Posted By: chris_c Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Neighbor had an Oliver with a Detroit diesel 2 stroke. Very distinct engine noise when he was working it.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Buddy on the main northern Japanese island of Hokkaido has something similar and let me run it while we hunted stags a couple years back. Also diesel and manual trans, with steering done with levers. Two tracks though, like a tank, as opposed to your four tracks That thing wasn't fast and topped out at maybe 20mph and was *hard* on the ears, with a very spartan interior. If I was in it for any extended time I'd be wearing muffs, but man it went through the snow and ice like a bastard and would climb grades I wouldn't have thought possible. It was also one of the funnest things I've ever driven.

Cool stuff, Dave, as usual.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]

Nice. It'd fit on a tandem flat deck trailer and tow it with a pick up...

Yep!

Originally Posted by Fugawe
"You ever take it off any sweet jumps?"

Yep!
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Buddy on the main northern Japanese island of Hokkaido has something similar and let me run it while we hunted stags a couple years back. Also diesel and manual trans, with steering done with levers. Two tracks though, like a tank, as opposed to your four tracks That thing wasn't fast and topped out at maybe 20mph and was *hard* on the ears, with a very spartan interior. If I was in it for any extended time I'd be wearing muffs, but man it went through the snow and ice like a bastard and would climb grades I wouldn't have thought possible. It was also one of the funnest things I've ever driven.

Cool stuff, Dave, as usual.

Very cool, possibly thiakol (spelling?) Imp model? Cool that its in Japan.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Dave-woudl that work for getting back into Chickenbuck when the trails in real nasty shape. If so, the swamp squids will be running scared!
Yup. Thiokol. ^^^

ND you are a dirty bugger. Now I'll be in the shop all night getting something ready so we can have an ice rendezvous. Are you bringing the rope or should I?

Borrowed from these original applications and applied to automotive racing, yes.

The blowers that "gear heads" know as "471" "671" "871" are from detroit diesel 4-71, 6-71 and 8-71 engines. The first digit is for number of cylinders, second number is for cubic displacement per cylinder. The 8-71 detroit was a pretty big engine. Originally the blowers were carefully designed to be balanced with the air flow that the engines displaced, the idea was not to create "boost", it was to evacuate the spent air and gasses from the engine without having those aditional cycle strokes that a 4 cycle engine would have.

In automotive applications, the 471 blower is a "cute blower" that works well on a mild small block V8. 671 more typical for a serious small block and more commonly in big blocks. 871? You need a big V8 and it's not for grocery runs any more.

Also 92's and 149's and inline configurations as well as "V" orientations up to 16 cylinders for sure.
Cool find there.
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Yup. Thiokol. ^^^

ND you are a dirty bugger. Now I'll be in the shop all night getting something ready so we can have an ice rendezvous. Are you bringing the rope or should I?

ropes, chains, whatever. we'll hook em up pintle to pintle and see what breaks, lol!
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
Back when road driving trucks the Detroit powered ones wanted to be wound up.

They had more power for their size.

Looks like a fun time will be had by all.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Dave-woudl that work for getting back into Chickenbuck when the trails in real nasty shape. If so, the swamp squids will be running scared!

I try to keep that plowed, for some silly reason... I guess the deer like to use the road when the snow is deep.
Originally Posted by plainsman456

my peak torque is 1800 to 2000 RPM, which sounds like 3800-4000 RPM since it's a 2 stroke. lol
If Dave drives that much without hearing protection, we ask him a question, he might say, "WHAT! laugh
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: winter toy - 01/23/20
A good buddy of mine has a DeLorean Snow cat.
Neat as all get out. I scored some 1/2 conveyor belt that had gotten torn and tossed out at work. He plans on rebuilding his tracks as soon as the tracks that are on it go south.
Originally Posted by plainsman456

And you could hear them coming from 10 miles away. "the Screaming Jimmy"

I was looking through the bone yard at a logging camp up the coast where they run big off road trucks. This one massive old truck, Hayes I think, long retired had a friggn 12-71 in it shocked That thing must have woke up the whole valley.
Posted By: MoranoGrande Re: winter toy - 01/24/20
Here's a new project for Northern Dave!!

a Nova Snowcat laugh laugh

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Osky Re: winter toy - 01/24/20
Northern Dave I’m up here sorta between Big Falls, Togo, and Bigfork bring that buggar over and well put that thru it’s paces. Snows at least 40” deep on the flat and butthole deep to 12 foot Indian elsewhere.

Osky
Posted By: northern_dave Re: winter toy - 01/24/20
Originally Posted by Osky
Northern Dave I’m up here sorta between Big Falls, Togo, and Bigfork bring that buggar over and well put that thru it’s paces. Snows at least 40” deep on the flat and butthole deep to 12 foot Indian elsewhere.

Osky

My tucker was ordered by the state of Idaho, delivered to Wallace Idaho in January 1976.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: winter toy - 01/29/20

Lake of the woods, Mn near Canadian border.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: winter toy - 01/29/20
Looks like what a Yankee version of "The Dukes of Hazard" would drive.
© 24hourcampfire