Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Dave you are one awesome dude. I immediately thought of the movie "The Shining!" Your posts are some of the best on the Fire.
I envy your skill with everything transportation! May you prosper, and be in health, even as your soul prospers!

The classy gentleman, as always. Thanks, I hope you are well.

Something clever here.

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by wabigoon
My ex brother in law trucker called the old Detroit's converters, the converted Diesel fuel to noise.

They did a lot of work back when, rock crushers, conveyers, bulldozers, skidders, trucks, you name it.

Also known as "road oilers"

"If there aint oil under it, ther aint oil in it."

lol

Thankfully mine seems sealed up pretty well. That damn CF-2 rated heavy duty oil BETTER stay inside the engine, it's expensive! lol

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I'll be damned. I've seen all sorts of snow cats through the years mainly around ski hills but a lot in industry too. Seismic crews, hydro crews and such but I don't think I've ever seen one with 4 independent tracks, just two. Well, other than the kits to put on your Jeep, utv or atv. Yeah, simple... leaf springs and a big ass axle. Noice. The pivoting of the drives almost acts as independent suspension anyways. That thing was ahead of its time.

I think this rig has found a good home in you Dave I see although simple she probably needs a little lovin from time to time. Well except that Jimmy that's one sweet little old plant! I was in cahoots with a buddy on a 30 foot wooden ex commercial salmon troller with a 453 in it. Naturally aspirated 1 gallon an hour all day long. Just glance at er and she'd start, loved that motor.

That thing's got balls! A 6 way blade would NOT be out of place. If you're pulling ice shacks you might have to figure harnesses to tow 3 or 4 at once cool

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Dave, I have seen your machine on the other forum ,FF, pretty neat with the 3-53 bit noisey i bet! i got a few snow toys myself but there a bit older.Not as comfortable or warm as yours.
1925 lombard
[Linked Image from pbase.com]

1949 tuckers

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Loggah
Dave, I have seen your machine on the other forum ,FF, pretty neat with the 3-53 bit noisey i bet! i got a few snow toys myself but there a bit older.Not as comfortable or warm as yours.
1925 lombard

1949 tuckers

Oh wow! Awesome!!!

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave, what does the Tucker weigh and how wide is it?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Salty303

It's around 6200 lbs and just under 8' on width.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Nice. It'd fit on a tandem flat deck trailer and tow it with a pick up...

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
"You ever take it off any sweet jumps?"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Neighbor had an Oliver with a Detroit diesel 2 stroke. Very distinct engine noise when he was working it.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Buddy on the main northern Japanese island of Hokkaido has something similar and let me run it while we hunted stags a couple years back. Also diesel and manual trans, with steering done with levers. Two tracks though, like a tank, as opposed to your four tracks That thing wasn't fast and topped out at maybe 20mph and was *hard* on the ears, with a very spartan interior. If I was in it for any extended time I'd be wearing muffs, but man it went through the snow and ice like a bastard and would climb grades I wouldn't have thought possible. It was also one of the funnest things I've ever driven.

Cool stuff, Dave, as usual.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N

Nice. It'd fit on a tandem flat deck trailer and tow it with a pick up...

Yep!

Originally Posted by Fugawe
"You ever take it off any sweet jumps?"

Yep!

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Buddy on the main northern Japanese island of Hokkaido has something similar and let me run it while we hunted stags a couple years back. Also diesel and manual trans, with steering done with levers. Two tracks though, like a tank, as opposed to your four tracks That thing wasn't fast and topped out at maybe 20mph and was *hard* on the ears, with a very spartan interior. If I was in it for any extended time I'd be wearing muffs, but man it went through the snow and ice like a bastard and would climb grades I wouldn't have thought possible. It was also one of the funnest things I've ever driven.

Cool stuff, Dave, as usual.

Very cool, possibly thiakol (spelling?) Imp model? Cool that its in Japan.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave-woudl that work for getting back into Chickenbuck when the trails in real nasty shape. If so, the swamp squids will be running scared!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup. Thiokol. ^^^

ND you are a dirty bugger. Now I'll be in the shop all night getting something ready so we can have an ice rendezvous. Are you bringing the rope or should I?

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I think the blowers were what the dragsters used on the hemi's to supercharge.

Borrowed from these original applications and applied to automotive racing, yes.

The blowers that "gear heads" know as "471" "671" "871" are from detroit diesel 4-71, 6-71 and 8-71 engines. The first digit is for number of cylinders, second number is for cubic displacement per cylinder. The 8-71 detroit was a pretty big engine. Originally the blowers were carefully designed to be balanced with the air flow that the engines displaced, the idea was not to create "boost", it was to evacuate the spent air and gasses from the engine without having those aditional cycle strokes that a 4 cycle engine would have.

In automotive applications, the 471 blower is a "cute blower" that works well on a mild small block V8. 671 more typical for a serious small block and more commonly in big blocks. 871? You need a big V8 and it's not for grocery runs any more.

Also 92's and 149's and inline configurations as well as "V" orientations up to 16 cylinders for sure.
Cool find there.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Yup. Thiokol. ^^^

ND you are a dirty bugger. Now I'll be in the shop all night getting something ready so we can have an ice rendezvous. Are you bringing the rope or should I?

ropes, chains, whatever. we'll hook em up pintle to pintle and see what breaks, lol!

Something clever here.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Back when road driving trucks the Detroit powered ones wanted to be wound up.

They had more power for their size.

Looks like a fun time will be had by all.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Dave-woudl that work for getting back into Chickenbuck when the trails in real nasty shape. If so, the swamp squids will be running scared!

I try to keep that plowed, for some silly reason... I guess the deer like to use the road when the snow is deep.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Back when road driving trucks the Detroit powered ones wanted to be wound up.

They had more power for their size.

Looks like a fun time will be had by all.

my peak torque is 1800 to 2000 RPM, which sounds like 3800-4000 RPM since it's a 2 stroke. lol

Something clever here.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 160user, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,843
Posts18,517,235
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.