Home
Posted By: kamo_gari Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
That's what you hear all the time when a bad cop is outed. "There's always going to be a bad apple in the bunch!" Yeah, well, *46* of these crooked, thieving sons of bitches--to date-- from a *single* MA State Police Troop have been identified, with 22 new troopers being charged.

Any of the resident cop apologists care to try to explain this one away? Obviously, not all LEOs are bad, but for those who maintain the standard "99% of them are decent, honest and hardworking", love to hear your thoughts on this one, as it certainly does not seem to be the case in this particular neck of the woods.

Check the numbers of the pensions taxpayers are currently footing for these crooked shytbirds. I can only hope that they'll lose their pensions--every last one of them. IMO that's the only thing that'll leave a lasting sting on them and maybe make other would-be crooked cops think twice, at least on this kind of scam/hustle. Maybe. 'More Details' is the name of your boat, huh? You MF'er...

https://www.wcvb.com/article/state-...22-members-in-overtime-scandal/30729334#

State Police seek termination, restitution from 22 Troop E members in overtime scandal

WCVB Updated: 7:17 PM EST Jan 31, 2020
Remaining Time -0:00
Show Transcript
BOSTON —

Massachusetts State Police is seeking termination and restitution for 22 personnel in connection with the overtime scandal surrounding the former Troop E.

Based on internal audits launched in 2017 after a 5 Investigates probe, State Police referred 46 current and former personnel to the U.S. Attorney’s Office and Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office. Criminal charges were sought against 10 of those individuals.

Internal Affairs charges were sustained against all of the remaining 36, Col. Christopher Mason said. Of that number, 14 have retired and charges against them have been sustained.

Officials notified the 22 personnel still employed by State Police that they would recommend their termination and seek full restitution.

“I anticipate that a number of these officers will be terminated as a result of this process. In addition to the specific punishment imposed, we will ensure that restitution is ordered. In every case, we will require that the trooper reimburse the taxpayers -- dollar for dollar -- any money paid for hours not worked, in addition to a substantive punitive penalty,” Mason said.

Pension of former State Police lieutenant suspended after overtime scandal conviction

Earlier this month, Mason outlined a series of reforms at State Police, including the activation of Automated Vehicle Locator technology in cruisers, increased supervisory oversight, regular auditing of time and attendance and ongoing ethical training for all personnel.

"The overwhelming majority of Troopers serve with distinction every day and as an association we will continue to defend the rights of our members. The pervasive culture of Troop E existed because of a failure of those then in command which impacts every trooper to this day," State Police Association of Massachusetts said in a statement. "As public servants, we will work with the current colonel to close this chapter and move this department forward with integrity."

Former state police supervisor pleads guilty in overtime scandal

"Our thorough investigation into overtime abuse in Troop E of the Massachusetts State Police resulted in criminal charges against three superior officers and led to much-needed disciplinary action by the Internal Affairs Section of the State Police. Our criminal investigation is now closed, and we have referred all of our investigatory materials to the Division of State Police Oversight, overseen by the Inspector General’s Office, to determine what systemic changes must be made to prevent this criminal misconduct from happening again," Attorney General Maura Healey said in a statement. "We expect the Baker Administration to consider and implement additional reforms within the State Police to restore and maintain public trust in the agency."

Massachusetts agencies paid out $399.15 million in overtime during 2019

What happens to the troopers who weren't charged?

"Right now, what's unknown is whether this is the end of the game," said Greg Sullivan, of the Pioneer Institute, a watchdog group. "In other words, are the prosecutors in this case going to just allow these people to get off scot-free in the criminal system?"

Trooper Kevin Maple doesn't face any charges. Records obtained by 5 Investigates from an internal audit show Maple was a no-show during a dozen shifts in 2016. He retired in the midst of the scandal and is pocketing an $80,000 per year pension.

Troopers Todd Glidden and Kevin O'Brien haven't been prosecuted either.

The audit found Glidden, whose boat was named "MORE DETAILS," was paid for 15 shifts he didn't work and falsified tickets to hide his scheme.

Department investigators say Trooper Kevin O'Brien didn't work 54 overtime shifts he was paid for. He's earning a pension of $78,980 per year.

State law allows public employees to keep their pensions, even if they're fired, unless they're convicted of a crime related to their job.

"Fourteen of the 46 troopers retired quickly, like one step ahead of the sheriff," said Sullivan. "Is the end of this story going to be that they're going to be able to get their pension without a scratch?"

The department is seeking restitution from all 36 members who have yet to be prosecuted. The attorney general's investigation is now complete. Federal prosecutors say they're investigation is ongoing.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
Seems in civilian life the totals of the monies "stolen" would be felony amounts and would deserve significant time in the hoosgow.

If there is enough evidence to warrant "restitution" then there is enough evidence to convict and ask for a jail term.

Geno
Posted By: slumlord Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
I live in the land of Boss Hogg, Roscoe and civil forfeiture.

I don’t trust any of them, I avoid all encounters with LEO if possible. I don’t run around with a busted tail light or act like a sovereign citizen jackass when unplanned encounters do occur.

Only LEO I will speak or engage with it is a regional capt in wildlife division that I know personally.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
One of the ways you know you live in a police state is when those who are supposed to enforce the law, routinely break it, without consequence.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
Glad they caught them. It really ticks me off when some of our "public servants" are nothing more than "public parasites". Although "public parasites" is also a general term that I use for politicians who like to think of themselves as "public servants". LEO's are generally pretty much on the straight and narrow but greed can get to just about anybody.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
Lots of unbelievers and dimocraps in that district I expect.
I for one, am perplexed by the need for

ongoing ethical training for all personnel

They are the popo, right. They should know before they get out of school, much less a LE Academy, that falsifying timecards is stealing, and not in any way ethical.

Says something for the ones hired I guess.

Geno
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
We've gone through so many "bad cops" here locally in my lifetime I wouldn't even care to guess at the number now. Everything from a married 36 year old officer impregnating a 16 year old girl that he blackmailed into having sex with him in return for not arresting her for posession/use of alcohol, to stealing drugs from the evidence room and selling them back on the street to getting caught banging a chick in the back seat of a cruiser while on duty to falsifying evidence and lying under oath. Many, many, many scumbags are cops.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
Geno,

No doubt an ordinary citizen would likely see jail time upon conviction for the same type of offense. But then, we're not talking average citizens. These folks are special, don'tchaknow...
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Easy, partner. No need to start wildly swinging your bible about just yet...

wink
Posted By: catch_22 Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
I have a few LEO friends......so I know what they do and what some are capable of doing. By the same token, I wouldn't do their job for what little most are paid.
Originally Posted by slumlord

I don’t trust any of them, I avoid all encounters with LEO if possible. I don’t run around with a busted tail light or act like a sovereign citizen jackass when unplanned encounters do occur.

This is how clever lads play the game.
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

wink

There has never been, in the history of his district of W TX a bad copper. Never. Probably because they are all believers and non dimocraps.

Geno
Originally Posted by catch_22
I have a few LEO friends......so I know what they do and what some are capable of doing. By the same token, I wouldn't do their job for what little most are paid.

Neither would I.

However, that is not an argument for padding the timecard.

Geno
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
Kamo
The cliche about the bad apple is right, but I think you are a little confused about what it means. There was at least one bad apple and he was in a supervisory position and he condoned theft from the State. He spoiled the whole bunch, but the whole bunch probably had lots of hidden or maybe not so hidden bad spots. The whole barrel rotted...

I wonder how much math they are going to apply when calculating how much the bogus pay raised their retirements....
Give me a break. State troopers here START at 102K a year. That's about 3 times what a roofer makes in this area and roofing is more dangerous and harder work than being a cop.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
Not to take away from the seriousness of the subject matter, but I couldn't help noticing that even when kamo_gari is posting about something other than food, he managed to work it into the title ... grin
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20

wink

Kamo, when I was a kid in the 50s and early 60s, seems most stores were closed on Sunday, and a very high percent of the population was in church.

Since kicking God and His principles out of school it's a pure fact that in Texas things in general and many young people have gone to hell in a handbasket.

For a while after this country was conceived, politicians had to profess to be Christian's to hold office.

There may be something to the plan to destroy this country by destroying the peoples belief in God, a purpose for living, and in destroying the family.

I think that plan has been revealed in many books that have been slung around. Iirc, maybe one was rules for radicals and if not, certainly esposed by many famous men pushing communism back in the day.

I could have made a lot more money, and many have, charging for unnecessary medical testing that could be legally justified, had I not feared consequences from Him.

I have to think those wanting to destroy this country may have known what they were talking about.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
Many of the people who are attracted to law enforcement jobs are those least emotionally and ethically qualified. Some grow into the job but many don’t. I’m friends with a few and known many and as a whole they’re not the most trustworthy.
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Not to take away from the seriousness of the subject matter, but I couldn't help noticing that even when kamo_gari is posting about something other than food, he managed to work it into the title ... grin

whistle

Geno

PS you nailed it though
Posted By: 1bigdude Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
I do not trust a single fugging cop. I come from 5 generations of LEOs and judges. I have heard so much beer talk about crap they pulled while "serving the community" they should all be held to the standard we non LEO arw!!
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
I do not trust a single fugging cop. I come from 5 generations of LEOs and judges. I have heard so much beer talk about crap they pulled while "serving the community" they should all be held to the standard we non LEO arw!!
Right there with you on that. Most of them are dirtbags.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Give me a break. State troopers here START at 102K a year. That's about 3 times what a roofer makes in this area and roofing is more dangerous and harder work than being a cop.

I don't know what agencies catch_22's LEO friends work for, but starting pay for many agencies is not anywhere near what NY State Troopers get.

Agency up the road from here, over the OR border runs ads every year. Starting pay is in the $36-38 K range per year. Not sure what it is in my county, but given it's Cali I'd bet it's in the $45K range. Not much considering I made that and more doing way less dangerous jobs that I didn't have to deal with the asshats of the world in.

Still, even at $36K a year, ethics is ethics and stealin' be stealin'

Geno
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Kamo
The cliche about the bad apple is right, but I think you are a little confused about what it means. There was at least one bad apple and he was in a supervisory position and he condoned theft from the State. He spoiled the whole bunch, but the whole bunch probably had lots of hidden or maybe not so hidden bad spots. The whole barrel rotted...

No confusion here. I read where the blame was flung--at the lead cop 'allowing it to happen', and I'm calling BS on such tactics by the State Police Association to simply pass it off as bad supervision. "The overwhelming majority of Troopers serve with distinction every day and as an association we will continue to defend the rights of our members. The pervasive culture of Troop E existed because of a failure of those then in command which impacts every trooper to this day," State Police Association of Massachusetts said in a statement. "As public servants, we will work with the current colonel to close this chapter and move this department forward with integrity."

The head Trooper/Supervisor forced or demanded that almost 4 dozen of his guys falsify their time OTJ to the tune of millions over more than a decade? Horseshyt. Easy out for the spokesman, blaming former commander for crimes committed by a HUGE number of cops. Remember, we're not talking one, or three, or even a dozen cases. We're talking *thousands* of inxtances with almost 50 cops being outed.

And credit where it's due: I guess sometimes the media can do good things. It was a local news station that brought this scam to light. Based on a tip from a crooked cop with an axe to grind for being canned or something, no doubt. smile
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I don't know what agencies catch_22's LEO friends work for, but starting pay for many agencies is not anywhere near what NY State Troopers get.

Agency up the road from here, over the OR border runs ads every year. Starting pay is in the $36-38 K range per year. Not sure what it is in my county, but given it's Cali I'd bet it's in the $45K range. Not much considering I made that and more doing way less dangerous jobs that I didn't have to deal with the asshats of the world in.

Geno
NYS is crawling with state troopers too. Is it any wonder our taxes are so friggin high ?
Posted By: joken2 Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20

Sure is a lot of troopers lost from one particular area of the state. Sounds like they'll have to borrow some from other areas to provide aqueduct protection and law enforcement coverage until replacements can be vetted, hired, trained, and complete whatever the probationary / OJT period is.
Originally Posted by joken2

Sure is a lot of troopers lost from one particular area of the state. Sounds like they'll have to borrow some from other areas to provide aqueduct protection and law enforcement coverage until replacements can be vetted, hired, trained, and complete whatever the probationary / OJT period is.

Wonder what the necessary "aqueduct protection and law enforcement coverage" is in that area of the State?

Seems they thought they were being covered when certain officers didn't show up for their shift, so maybe they need to recalculate their "adequate" protection levels

Geno

PS, aqueduct is not the same as adequate................sincerely, the spellin' poleece wink
Posted By: Dess Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
January 29, 2020. Other states too.

An entire class of Georgia State Patrol troopers was fired Wednesday after an investigation into accusations the graduates cheated on an online exam.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-fired-amid-cheating-scandal/4615213002/
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20

Geno
NYS is crawling with state troopers too. Is it any wonder our taxes are so friggin high ?

yeah i passed one going 90 in Leighton's Lexus.

Wonder what the necessary "aqueduct protection and law enforcement coverage" is in that area of the State?

Seems they thought they were being covered when certain officers didn't show up for their shift, so maybe they need to recalculate their "adequate" protection levels

Geno

PS, aqueduct is not the same as adequate................sincerely, the spellin' poleece wink

Simple typo. He meant to write, 'sewers'. smile
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
An $80,000 pension. Good God. Only in a government job.

My brother and my girlfriend both graduated from Ga. Tech, both had executive jobs in industry. In neither case did the company offer an in house pension.
Used to, 20 years ago, but no more.
Even then, 20 years ago, an exec would be lucky to get a pension that is 1/3 of annual salary. It is absurd to pay so much money for a cop.

I got a buddy who retired as a firefighter/medic, 15 years ago, from a service in Clayton County Ga. His pension is $65K annually, and his pay in his last year was $54K.

Only in a government job. This overpaying of govt. employees is absurd, and obscene.

Geno

Ooops!

Picked a word from spell check options too quick and got the wrong one...

"Adequate" coverage I assume would be in numbers of troopers.

I very well may have overlooked it but I didn't see any statement in the story that said the falsified and/or 'padded' OT hours was when OT was truly necessary or they just claimed OT at will.

Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
I just saw that the entire graduating class of Georgia troopers were fired for cheating on their academy exams. 32 bad apples right out of the gate. 32 liars and cheats that would’ve been protected by the badge and the thin blue line.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/crime-law/2020/01/30/georgia-state-troopers-fired-cheating/

These are NOT isolated incidents, they’re widespread and prevalent. The only thing that’s isolated about these crimes is that they are being pursued and acted upon.

A bordering county has been dealing with dirty cops for as long as they’ve around but excising the cancer isn’t as easy as it should be. Several deputies were fired after an internal investigation determined that they lied in their reports, lied to the judge in their pursuit of a warrant, illegal searches and a host of other criminal and constitutional violations. One of the fired deputies ran for sheriff and won. He’s now hiring back all his buddies that were fired, fired after internal and external investigations found that they broke the law and lied to cover it up. The POS that was elected by a largely liberal electorate really pulled a fast one on them. I went to high school with him and my brother (different agency) worked with him on various collaborative projects and both of us determined that he’s still the POS that he was in high school. He was a small time drug dealer and trouble maker. The funniest thing about it all, if it wasn’t so pathetic, is that the new sheriff has to wear long sleeves year ‘round. It he bared his arms the liberal electorate that voted for this piece ofshit would see the white power slogans and the swastika tattoos that cover his arms. 😂

ETA.....Dess beat me to it regarding the Georgia Troopers that are proven cheaters and liars.
One has to wonder, assuming that the tests that class took were the same as previous classes, how many Georgia Troopers also cheated? This entire class was “brought down” by 1 girlfriend, likely a scorned woman that had no idea what she was doing when she flew into an emotional vindictive rage, I seriously doubt that her reporting her boyfriend was based on a moral conundrum nor do I think she realized the gravity of the fact that her anger had unintended consequences.....like 31 unintended consequences. 😉

Surely this wasn’t an isolated incident nor was this class an anomaly except to the extent that they were investigated as a result of the complaint. I’d be interested to know what the percentage is of cheaters from previous classes? Surely the 1 class that was investigated for cheating and found 100% of the class was cheating isn’t an anomaly, there has to be a lot more out there.

Posted By: kkahmann Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
Pretty Mickey Mouse Lieghton when compared to no-knock warrants in Houston

Originally Posted by simonkenton7

My brother and my girlfriend both graduated from Ga. Tech, both had executive jobs in industry. In neither case did the company offer an in house pension.
Used to, 20 years ago, but no more.
Even then, 20 years ago, an exec would be lucky to get a pension that is 1/3 of annual salary. It is absurd to pay so much money for a cop.

I got a buddy who retired as a firefighter/medic, 15 years ago, from a service in Clayton County Ga. His pension is $65K annually, and his pay in his last year was $54K.

Only in a government job. This overpaying of govt. employees is absurd, and obscene.

Chicago Fire Department pensions as of 6 years ago: https://www.taxpayersunitedofamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/Chi-FD-Pensions-full-PDF.pdf

Posted By: deflave Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
My experience in these matters is this...

If you live in dick head land, the chances of encountering dick heads goes up.

If you live in normal'ville, the chances of encountering dick heads goes down.

Lord knows Massassholes if chock full. So it makes sens that the police conduct themselves accordingly.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

Talk to some old school Teamsters.

Their pensions are 100%.

They earn it.

Originally Posted by deflave

They earn it.

Chicago Teacher's Pension fund --2016: https://www.taxpayersunitedofameric...cago-Teachers-Pension-Fund-embargoed.pdf

They earn it.

Chicago Teacher's Pension fund --2016: https://www.taxpayersunitedofameric...cago-Teachers-Pension-Fund-embargoed.pdf

They don't.
Originally Posted by 1bigdude

Where did your relatives work?

You think your taxes are high because of law enforcement?

LOL.

You really are stupid.
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Pretty Mickey Mouse Lieghton when compared to no-knock warrants in Houston

Who signs those?
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
A Major San Francisco city Department head was arrested this week by the FBI on bribery and corruption charges.

I think the Feds are finally going after democratic strongholds and the apparatchiks that keep them going.

Geno

https://www.seethroughny.net/payrolls

https://www.seethroughny.net/pensions

You think your taxes are high because of law enforcement?

LOL.

You really are stupid.
I realize there are many reasons ass hole.
Posted By: efw Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/01/20
We always focus upon the last phrase of the saying and forget the first, “power corrupts & absolute power corrupts absolutely”

You wouldn't know a sandbag from a di-ldo you trailer dwelling fugk.
Posted By: hanco Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20
Teachers in Chicago get nice pensions!
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20
If I ever want to rob a bank, or commit some other big crime in Alabama, I'm going to do it during the Auburn/Crimson Tide football game. Virtually every cop in that part of the state is at the stadium- - - -guarding one coach or the other!
Jerry
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20
Overtime fraud is as common as dirt.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20

The dil-do would be that long black thing you shove in your ass every night.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20
Originally Posted by efw
We always focus upon the last phrase of the saying and forget the first, “power corrupts & absolute power corrupts absolutely”

Good quote, add "people get the govt. they deserve". Elected officials supervise your cops. If I lived in New York or Ma. I would select other things to worry about than the cops. Some places actually respect their 1st responders, others have to recruit from out of state. Anyone who chooses to live in a community in which the cops are feared deserves what they get. Cops frequently live in the community that they serve, if it is worthy.

mike r
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
I live in the land of Boss Hogg, Roscoe and civil forfeiture.

Only LEO I will speak or engage with it is a regional capt in wildlife division that I know personally.
Agreed. I know quite a few around here, but I still avoid ALL encounters with them.
I want to see an expose on all the people cheated by contractors, plumbers, electricians, salesmen, mechanics, etc! One emergency call to a plumber is probably a lifetime’s worth of tax contributions to your local first responders!
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I just saw that the entire graduating class of Georgia troopers were fired for cheating on their academy exams. 32 bad apples right out of the gate. 32 liars and cheats that would’ve been protected by the badge and the thin blue line.

YOu must be mistaken. They are believers and even Republicans down there in GA

Must be a mistake
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by efw

Good quote, add "people get the govt. they deserve". Elected officials supervise your cops. If I lived in New York or Ma. I would select other things to worry about than the cops. Some places actually respect their 1st responders, others have to recruit from out of state. Anyone who chooses to live in a community in which the cops are feared deserves what they get. Cops frequently live in the community that they serve, if it is worthy.

mike r

Sounds like something Steelhead was fond of saying. wink So, I vote conservative and R across the board yet I and every other who shares my values deserve those who've been entrusted to 'protect and serve' and uphold the law prove themselves to be cheats and thieves and liars? Yes, like every other state we have endless things about our state that need fixing. Here more than most places that's a fact, but where you get to alluding to our citizenry not respecting our first responders I've no idea.

Frankly, my good man, IMNSHO that's a load of nonsense. Your opinions usually come across to this reader as well thought out and intelligently put, but you missed the mark on this one, as that's a hell of a leap, going from crooked cops as what exactly now, a result of them being disrespected by those they serve? Seriously? So, if I'm following you, the State Troopers as a kind of revenge for being generally disrespected by the public decided to defraud, lie and steal from the public en masse? C'mon, man. Let's call a spade a spade, shall we?

Demographics

As of June 2000, the Massachusetts State Police had the following demographics:[26]

Male: 91%
Female: 9%
White: 89%
African-American/Black: 11%
The MSP is one of the few State Police Departments in the US where the percentage of African American officers (11%) is significantly greater than that of the state population (6.97%).

Compensation[edit]
As of 2017, the Massachusetts State Police average pay for a state trooper was $145,413, with three troopers earning over $300,000, and 245 troopers (12% of the workforce) earning over $200,000. A trooper's base pay is augmented by working multiple details, directing traffic, overtime shifts, or providing security at special events.[27]

Former Massachusetts inspector general Greg Sullivan criticized state police overtime as excessive, pointing out an unusual number of troopers who earned more in 2017 than the governor of the state. He cited the use of state police instead of civilian employees to direct traffic at construction details and Logan Airport as examples of wasteful spending. Sullivan that the reason overtime pay is so large is that the officers who make overtime assignments also partake of the benefits of overtime, leaving no incentive to reduce the practice.[28] In 2017, 24 troopers earned more than $100,000 in overtime, and 20 in Troop F earned more than $250,000, a fact which was not revealed until missing payroll records were noticed by the Boston Globe.[29]

Perks and extra benefits[edit]
Along with their base salary and overtime, troopers have other benefits to include:

Troopers receive hazard bonus pay of $700 annually.
Troopers who commute more than 75 miles or more miles in one way from home receive $75 each week.
State police employees who work in civilian clothing for 10 days or more each calendar month receive a stipend of $62.50 per month.
State police employees who work a five-day workweek are compensated an extra 17 days off per year. This time off is to align with employees who work four days on duty, then get two days off.[30]

Controversies[edit]
State Police Academy Dangerous Hazing Scandal[edit]
In September 2005, an investigation was begun after allegations of illegal hazing at the State Police Training Academy were brought to light. During the investigation, it was learned that 43 different recruits from the 78th troop had been hospitalized between July and September for a variety of injuries. Aside from the medical issues, the investigation found multiple incidents of prohibited hazing by instructors and staff, including forcing recruits to wear other recruits soiled underwear on their heads, instructors waterboarding recruits by holding their heads underwater in a toilet bowl, and refusing to allow recruits to use bathrooms when needed. As a result of the investigation three officers were removed from their positions, including the Academy Commandant, Lt. Richard Lane of Sterling, MA. Other demoted instructors included Troopers Eric Baldwin and Paul Weinshenk. A six-month independent review, headed by former Essex District Attorney Kevin M. Burke found that under Lt. Lane's tenure, academy leadership had been beset by "confusion, inadequate communications and poor oversight of training operations." As a result, the report said, the academy training staff itself is plagued by "role conflict, confusion, uncertainty and ineffective communications." The recruit training program was effectively shut down, with the next class not graduating until 2012.

Sgt. Brian O'Hare scandal[edit]
In February 2006, a respected state police sergeant, Brian O'Hare, was arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation after soliciting what he thought was an underage boy for sex, who was actually an undercover FBI Agent.[31] O'Hare was discharged from the state police and subsequently sentenced to 5 years in federal prison.[32]

Allegations of internal racial discrimination[edit]
In March 2017 the Boston Globe reported on allegations of discrimination within the State Police against minority state troopers.[33]

Alli Bibaud scandal[edit]
In October 2017, a state police arrest report of a judge's daughter, Alli Bibaud, was changed to remove an embarrassing and incriminating statement ("Do You Know How Many People I Had To Blow To Get That,") concerning how she obtained the heroin she allegedly possessed.[34][35] An online blog, listing "many" troopers as sources, allege that the report was changed due to Dudley District Court Judge Tim Bibaud calling District Attorney Joseph Early and Colonel Richard McKeon, who in turn directed Major Susan Anderson to have the statement removed.[36] On November 7, 2017, the trooper who was ordered to change his report, Ryan Sceviour, sued the leadership of the state police for reversal of the discipline he received for including the embarrassing and incriminating statements in his report, as well as an official apology, lawyers fees, and punitive damages.[37][38] On November 11, 2017, Colonel Richard McKeon retired in the midst of the scandal.[39]

Leigha Genduso scandal[edit]
In February 2018, an online news blog, Turtleboysports.com, broke a story that Trooper Leigha Genduso, who was assigned to the K-9 unit, was hired by the state police in spite of testifying during grand jury proceedings targeting her former boyfriend, before her hire as first a civilian dispatcher and then state trooper, that she smoked marijuana daily, sold marijuana in amounts up to 10 pounds at a time, took various other prescription drugs not prescribed to her, and laundered money from her former boyfriend's drug profits.[40] There was also information from "many sources" that Genduso's boyfriend at the time of her hire, then-Major (eventually Lieutenant Colonel) Daniel Risteen, used his influence to gain her favorable treatment and highly desirable assignments usually only offered to troopers with many years seniority.[40]

On February 23, 2018, Lieutenant Colonel Risteen abruptly retired from the state police.[41]

On Friday, August 24, 2018 Leigha Genduso resigned from the Massachusetts State Police.[42]

Overtime theft probe[edit]
On March 20, 2018, Attorney General Maura Healey announced that her office was reviewing the "apparent discrepancies between overtime paid and actual patrols worked," by 21 state troopers of the Troop E division. Of the 21 state troopers, 19 are active, one retired last year, and another, Trooper Matthew Sheehan, was already suspended due to racist messages he posted online. Colonel Kerry Gilpin addressed the media and said one of the alleged offenders put in for as many as 100 no-show shifts during 2016.[43]

On April 2, 2018, Governor Baker announced the elimination of Troop E due to the ongoing overtime investigation that found dozens of active and former troopers allegedly putting in for overtime shifts for which they did not work. State Police Colonel Kerry Gilpin also announced that location of State Police cruisers will be tracked by Global Positioning System (GPS) technology known as automatic vehicle Locator technology, and the state police will also develop a body camera program.[44]

On June 27, 2018, the Federal Bureau of Investigation agents arrested three Massachusetts state troopers for allegedly stealing thousands of dollars for overtime work they didn't complete in calendar year 2016. The troopers allegedly took steps to conceal their fraud by altering tickets written to make it look like the citations were issued during claimed overtime shifts. Sometimes tickets submitted by the officers were fictitious or never actually issued to known motorists. Each of the three officers were charged with a single embezzlement count.[45]

Hidden payroll data[edit]

On March 26, 2018. the Boston Globe reported that payroll records for the 140-trooper Massachusetts State Police Troop F, which provides law enforcement and security for all properties of the Massachusetts Port Authority, have been hidden from public view and weren't filed with the state comptroller for several years. Almost 80 percent of the troopers assigned to Troop F earned more than the Governor of Massachusetts, Charlie Baker. Pay for the trooper comes from the Massachusetts Port Authority, but the police troopers are employees of the Massachusetts State Police and operations are overseen by commanders of the State Police.[46]

After the Boston Globe report came out, Governor Baker said that the act of not disclosing years of payroll records for Troop F of the State Police was "clearly deliberate," and state Comptroller Thomas Shack demanded to know if other state agencies were failing to reveal other payroll records.[47]

On March 30, 2018, the Globe reported a Troop F detective, Lieutenant earned more than $300,000 each year between 2015 and 2017. The Lieutenant was the highest paid employee of the Massachusetts State Police for the years 2014 - 2016.[48]
P.S. I never said that generally cops here were feared. Not a lot to fear from a Statie who's running a speed trap on the Pike from his hammock on some beach in FL...

wink
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

YOu must be mistaken. They are believers and even Republicans down there in GA

Must be a mistake

Yep,

good Southern Baptists down there I heard. All over the place.

Geno

They earn it.

Likely so in that area.

Hey, 'flave. How'm I sposed to know it's really you without milk drinkin' man in the little square. Now there's a quilt..............did someone hack your account? Did you leave the page open and your son/wife/ neighbor got on and is taking over?

Geno
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20

You were doing good for a while. Looks like you’re regressing.

wink

Kamo, when I was a kid in the 50s and early 60s, seems most stores were closed on Sunday, and a very high percent of the population was in church.

Back in the late 80s we had to make banzai beer runs to NH if we wanted to buy booze on Sunday, as MA law prohibited selling alcohol on the Lord's day. Both here in MA and in ME it is still *illegal* to hunt on Sundays in deference to it being what some considerate be a 'holy day'. That's some serious ostensibly determined holy adherence to religious doctrine if you ask me. It still didn't prevent those guys from robbing the taxpayers...
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20
Catholics. grin
lol! Wee Muther has recounted stories of her childhood school days in the East End/Bridgeton Cross neighborhood of Glasgow, Scotland, where the Catholics from a nearby local school would come to her school everyday when they got out to pitch rocks and hurl insults at her and the other school kids at their school (Protestant). The Catholics would bellow out, "BLOODY PRODDY DOGS!" WM's team would screech back with, 'BLOODY HERETICS!' This at age 8-12 or thereabouts. Good times between good Christians, eh? wink
Prolly sinners. I was pretty mean when I was a kid.

Ok, let's compare the US 50 years ago to todays, if it feels good do it.

Percent of fatherless kids, teachers screwing kids in school, drugs in school, ODs, rapes, murders,

Chitcago then vs now, numbers of people living on welfare as a choice, Walmart pukes, kids beating up on teachers in school, numbers of people on drugs, growth of gated community's due to necessity, home burglar alarm systems, kids in danger walking to school, kids unable to play in parks, ....

We've gone downhill and fast.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20
Prolly sinners. I was pretty mean when I was a kid.

Ok, let's compare the US 50 years ago to todays, if it feels good do it.

Percent of fatherless kids, teachers screwing kids in school, drugs in school, ODs, rapes, murders,

Chitcago then vs now, numbers of people living on welfare as a choice, Walmart pukes, kids beating up on teachers in school, numbers of people on drugs, growth of gated community's due to necessity, home burglar alarm systems, kids in danger walking to school, kids unable to play in parks, ....

We've gone downhill and fast.

Yep. Taking God out of society sure is working good, isn’t it? crazy The disgusting behavior abounds. Just look around the next time you are getting fuel. The filth and misery is everywhere.
Prolly sinners..

Bumper sticker: Sinners have more fun!

For a while. grin

Back at you. whistle

Call and raise you.

Posted By: kwg020 Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20
The Troopers were just following the lead of all elected politicians of their State and local government. How much money got scammed during "The Big Dig" in Boston ? Nothing new here. Politics as normal only this time the Troopers got caught. Rightly so.

kwg
Posted By: Ejp1234 Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20
How many times have you been in the right lane driving along at the speed limit or slightly above and approached a police office driving right at or below the speed limit, that you had to pass.....

I travel crap tons for work, never for me.

How many times you been doing 75 in a 65 and a cop passes you going way faster and they dont have their lights on, and clearly are not responding to an emergency?

Theres a somewhat local cop, whos big into filming his hunts. Only reason I could pick him out, all his youtube vids.... and the rear window of his silverado has a big sticker for his youtube channel. Opening morning two years ago, he passed me at 4:30am-ish going about 25-30mph over the speed limit and did a quick stop and rolled right thru a red light.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20

Compensation[edit]
As of 2017, the Massachusetts State Police average pay for a state trooper was $145,413, with three troopers earning over $300,000, and 245 troopers (12% of the workforce) earning over $200,000. A trooper's base pay is augmented by working multiple details, directing traffic, overtime shifts, or providing security at special events.[27]

Good God. State Police in Massachusetts earn well over six figures? There really are two Americas. The average salary in my area is probably thirty thousand dollars.

There is no way in Hell that the economically depressed areas of this country will ever make it to that level of prosperity.
Posted By: efw Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

You were doing good for a while. Looks like you’re regressing.

Remember the steps bro!
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20
That is insane, to pay a cop $145,000. Only in a government job.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20

Good times between good Christians, eh? wink

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!"
He said, "Nobody loves me."
I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"
He said, "Yes."
I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?"
He said, "A Christian."
I said, "Me, too!
Protestant or Catholic?"
He said, "Protestant."
I said, "Me, too! What franchise?"
He said, "Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?"
He said, "Northern Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"
He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?"
He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region."
I said, "Me, too!"
Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?"
He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."

I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Only one bad apple? - 02/02/20
Kamo, in reply to your answer to my statement that "people get the govt. they deserve" I understand it but must say that you perhaps missed the point. The political entities to whom the popo answers also control the budgets and influence the promotion process and have total oversight responsibility. If your state has corruption issues,as do most, you are looking at the effect not the cause. Vote out the incumbents.

We are in agreement in despising politicians and their minions including any law enforcement who dishonor their oath.

mike r
Originally Posted by auk1124

Compensation[edit]

Good God. State Police in Massachusetts earn well over six figures? There really are two Americas. The average salary in my area is probably thirty thousand dollars.

There is no way in Hell that the economically depressed areas of this country will ever make it to that level of prosperity.

Y'all just need to raise some taxes down there.

Then you can pay them Popo better

Geno
© 24hourcampfire