Home
They've only appeared around here over the last couple years, & kinda sparingly.

I picked up a package with some thick (> 2") cut specimens today, & I enjoyed it every bit as much as the finest ribeye I've ever had. That the package went over 1 lb., and was still only $6.82 made it all the better.

In the past I've tried chuck tenders, but they had an unseemly seam runnin' through 'em. These were tender & tasty all the way through. Perhaps our butchers are just getting around to merchandising 'em this way.

Maybe I shouldn't post this. I don't want my secret gettin' out. The bastards already discovered flank steaks, and drove the damned prices up. mad

What about the rest of you? Do you have any secret cuts you favor vs. the ones that usually hog the menu at the nice places?

FC
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Chuck Eyes - Mmmmm! - 02/04/20
Not as many around because there ain't as many on the cow I guess.

I used to buy them for really really cheap , then people "discovered" them. Now they are priced almost as much as ribeye.

Mike
Posted By: GregW Re: Chuck Eyes - Mmmmm! - 02/04/20
My favorite steak going.....
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Chuck Eyes - Mmmmm! - 02/04/20
It is ribeye. From the end, it won't make a proper steak, so...Chuck eye.

Like 6mm250 said, people started buying them up. And asking for them,
so, up goes the price. We buy strip or Del primals, few minutes with a knife and vac sealer. Money saved!
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Chuck Eyes - Mmmmm! - 02/04/20
Unethical butchers will move quite a ways up the neck cutting and selling them as chuck-eye. Buyer beware, there is white streaks of fat marbling,,,,then there is white streaks of sinew to test your dog's jaw.
Posted By: Bama_Rick Re: Chuck Eyes - Mmmmm! - 02/04/20
I like to stock up on chuck eye when it goes on sale. I grill 'em like any other steak, but have found they are excellent cuts for fajitas, stroganoff, stir fry and other stuff that calls for lesser cuts. Gonna be fajitas tonite! Mmm good...
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Buyer beware, there is white streaks of fat marbling,,,,then there is white streaks of sinew to test your dog's jaw.

I must have ethical butchers around here, then: at least they label them separately. grin

FC
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
I grill 'em like any other steak,

I was wary of the wonderful marbling's potential to cause flare ups, so I did a reverse sear. It worked like a charm.

FC
Posted By: slumlord Re: Chuck Eyes - Mmmmm! - 02/04/20
huh huh huh huh, huh huh

Hey Beavis, .....he said stroganoff
Posted By: ironbender Re: Chuck Eyes - Mmmmm! - 02/04/20
Expected this to be about Mr. Norris.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Chuck Eyes - Mmmmm! - 02/04/20
Regional store here sells thick chuck eyes for $6 per pound, and $5 per pound when on sale. They've been very tender, but not much flavor for some reason.

We can usually get petite sirloin for $3 per pound from another regional store. A little bit of Roadhouse rub or Perini rub and they are very tasty as long as they are not overcooked.

My wife and I really enjoyed the last batch of petite sirloin over the last batch of chuck eyes. Go figure.

I still prefer a ribeye the most, and when on sale don't cost much more than a chuck eye. Seem to have more flavor.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Chuck Eyes - Mmmmm! - 02/04/20
Well, prime rib does come off the front quarters. Give an old product a new name and consumers will flock to the counter.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Chuck Eyes - Mmmmm! - 02/04/20
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Not as many around because there ain't as many on the cow I guess.

I used to buy them for really really cheap , then people "discovered" them. Now they are priced almost as much as ribeye.

Mike

Only 4 per cow.
You have to cut up an entire chuck in most cases to produce 2 steaks.
PIA for a lot of places to justify opening up a huge chunk of beef so someone can get two cheap steaks off the end.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Chuck Eyes - Mmmmm! - 02/04/20
"Chuck Eye" steaks used to be the Butcher's secret. They used to save them for themselves, knowing how tender and flavorful they were! As has been noted, once the word got out, price went out of sight!
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Chuck Eyes - Mmmmm! - 02/04/20
Same here... They were a good deal for about 2 years. Now they are gone as soon as they hit the shelf. And no longer $3.99 per lb.
Posted By: hanco Re: Chuck Eyes - Mmmmm! - 02/04/20
T-bones
Posted By: Redneck Re: Chuck Eyes - Mmmmm! - 02/04/20
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
That the package went over 1 lb., and was still only $6.82 made it all the better.
FC
Nearly $7 a pound??? Thanks - but NO thanks...
Posted By: IKE Re: Chuck Eyes - Mmmmm! - 02/04/20
The wife said her girlfriends husband really loves them so I had her pick me up a couple.....too fatty for me.
Posted By: ERK Re: Chuck Eyes - Mmmmm! - 02/04/20
Just grilled two chuck steaks the other day. They were 6 bucks a pound and ribeyes were 12 per pound. I didn’t tell the wife. She loved em and thought it was ribeye. Excellent eating. Ed k
© 24hourcampfire