Home
Some of ya'll know my story but I haven't updated anything since about August last year. I like to do it first here because this is where it really began. I saw a video here about the Carnivore diet and decided to give it a try. It's a long and convoluted story of me seeking the healthiest way to eat and constantly changing things depending on how my body was responding to whatever I was doing at the time. I think the best advice I can give anyone is to just totally focus your attention on it. If you do,you will figure out how to do it. Isn't that true of everything in life!

Basically I want to say that It's never too late to change yourself. I didn't start until I was 50 years old and 360 lbs. I had an awakening. Call it whatever you will,I feel like I suddenly woke up and realized that I had not really been living for a long time.I had only been waiting to die.If you feel that way,you can change it. We live in an age where the information you need to accomplish anything is literally right at your finger tips. Now get off your ass and get to it! LOL

Here I am at age 50 just in from a dove hunt with my son.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here I am at age 51,just yesterday, about to go on a ride with my dog .

I'm 360 here

170 here

The old me
[img]https://i.imgur.com/K0c7fTO.jpg?1[/img]

New me

Can't get that one old me picture to work. Maybe one of ya'll can help. Yea,I know I still look goofy.
Congrats for all the hard work! You look great!!
Wow that's awesome! Just outstanding!

If I may ask, what are the top three things you did to make the change happen?
Wow!!
You are a great inspiration for those of us struggling to lose weight and get back some parts of life we've given up. Maybe it is time to challenge myself more and stretch the modest weight loss goals a bit further.
Damn dude!! Where'd you hide the other guy??
Wanted to add that I had no surgery,and no diet pills. Just eating properly and exercise. I lost over 130 lbs in a year. After that the weight loss was a lot slower. I started just before my 50th birthday and I'm coming up on 52. I've lost over 160 lbs so far. I went from a 48-32 jeans to 29-32 jeans.
You are a great inspiration for those of us struggling to lose weight and get back some parts of life we've given up. Maybe it is time to challenge myself more and stretch the modest weight loss goals a bit further.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Damn dude!! Where'd you hide the other guy??

I ate him,literally.

Somebody help me get the other old picture posted. I was about to bust out of my fat jeans in that one.
Man that's amazing. You look like a completely different person.

Congratulations, that takes real dedication.
That's Awesome
Well done, R H.
RH,

Awesome job.

I have great respect for people who are able to make this kind of transformation.
It's one of the hardest things in life to accomplish.

I have to wonder what other mountains you can move?

Keep it up!!
Congrats!
The older I get, the harder it is shed a few pounds. I was down to 147 back when I was 37.
Inspiring, where there is a will there is a way.

mike r
You sexy bastard.
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Wow that's awesome! Just outstanding!

If I may ask, what are the top three things you did to make the change happen?

I could tell you that I quit sugar,bread,rice,pasta,and hydrocodone all on the same day,and I did but I think something else I did was more important.

I looked at myself with truth. I mean the truth of who I was right then rather than the truth of who I kept telling myself that I would someday be. Read that a few times until it sinks in. Once you see truth,you have no choice but to act on it. To not act on it is just hiding from it and telling yourself that someday you will.

I put my full attention on what I wanted to do. I watched nothing but youtube videos trying to learn how to properly diet and exercise.It took a while to weed out the garbage and even figure out what works best for me,but just keep your attention on it. Think of your brain as a computer that controls your body. If you want to act different,you have to program the computer with new information. If you want to change,you have to think differently,and if you want to think differently,you have to learn new information.

I made myself accountable to me. Say that a bunch of times. I weighed every day. If I saw an increase over 3-7 days or no improvement over a week I changed something. If I felt I ate too much one day ,I ate less the next. I never cheated on the sugar,bread,rice,pasta thing. Just don't cheat.You are the only one who can make you do what you want to do. You have to be accountable to yourself. Never say,I'm going to try. I always think of the words of Yoda to young Skywalker when I hear that. Yea,I'm a little goofy.
Great job, Randy! You look like a new man and much younger! Keep it up!!

Here's a trailer on Netflix's Keto diet, the Magic Pill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61GitUC_678 , for all you guys, If you have Netflix you should watch this.

There is no real magic pill for keto. The "magic pill" refers to how most MD's treat disease: with a magic pill.

This got my wheels turning but it took about a year for me to really start eating clean keto.

Now I'm there and have lost 26 pounds in about 3-1/2 weeks. I sleep better, have more energy, am clearer thinking, and have lost all my cravings for junk food. Most of all that happened in the first week.

My goal is 180, which is 66 pounds away. I have no doubt I will make it because I will never stop eating keto. If I need to lose more, no worries. Keto will automatically make that happen, until I am at an optimum weight.
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Some of ya'll know my story but I haven't updated anything since about August last year. I like to do it first here because this is where it really began. I saw a video here about the Carnivore diet and decided to give it a try. It's a long and convoluted story of me seeking the healthiest way to eat and constantly changing things depending on how my body was responding to whatever I was doing at the time. I think the best advice I can give anyone is to just totally focus your attention on it. If you do,you will figure out how to do it. Isn't that true of everything in life!

Basically I want to say that It's never too late to change yourself. I didn't start until I was 50 years old and 360 lbs. I had an awakening. Call it whatever you will,I feel like I suddenly woke up and realized that I had not really been living for a long time.I had only been waiting to die.If you feel that way,you can change it. We live in an age where the information you need to accomplish anything is literally right at your finger tips. Now get off your ass and get to it! LOL

I'm 360 here

170 here

The old me

New me

Can't get that one old me picture to work. Maybe one of ya'll can help. Yea,I know I still look goofy.

No you don't, you look DAMN ! grin
You look 20 years younger!
Great work!
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn

I'm 360 here

170 here

The old me

New me

No you don't, you look DAMN ! grin

Thanks Miss Lynn. That's the kindest DAMN I've ever heard.
You're half the man you used to be! ; )
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
RH,

Awesome job.

I have great respect for people who are able to make this kind of transformation.

Keep it up!!

I've become a cyclist with a message. I'm about to ride a bicycle from Alabama to Colorado and hopefully speak along the way. Who,knows I may ride it all the way around the globe before I stop. The message is basically WAKE UP AND LIVE!
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
RH,

Awesome job.

Keep it up!!

I've become a cyclist with a message. I'm about to ride a bicycle from Alabama to Colorado and hopefully speak along the way. Who,knows I may ride it all the way around the globe before I stop. The message is basically WAKE UP AND LIVE!

Forrest Gump was from Alabama also!!

Grins
Congrats, keep on rolling
I'm 6'1" and weighed in at 228 a few days ago. My ideal weight and size are less!
Did you totally quit eating potatoes?
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Did you totally quit eating potatoes?

For about 130 lbs I did. I eat some today but no dairy.
Then I quit meat for a while and went whole foods plant based. Now I'm sort of cycling from low carbs to high carbs. I think it is a more natural way to eat. I eat the best quality meat I can get but not even every week. My high carb weeks would include brown whole grain rice, black beans,and some potatoes without oil or butter.

A favorite meal of mine is a plain baked potato with black beans and salsa.I would put some healthy meat on it like ground deer but no dairy. Any fat I add to this meal is instantly stored because my body will burn the carbs first. I don't eat any fats at all when I cycle into high carbs. There would be a tiny bit of fat even in the deer so I don't have it on a high carb day in general. I do allow myself a few bits now and then.
That is freak'n awesome to say the least. I just started keto mid January. Getting away from the potatoes,rice,bread and sugar was hard for the first week,but now i don't even want them. When I started I crossed the scale at 267, as of 20 minutes ago I am 254 on my way to 210. Congrats and thank you for the added inspiration.
Amazing transformation. I could not afford a whole new wardrobe though. 😜
Most impressive. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm floored.

Now, go make yourself even harder to kill by adding muscle mass and getting stronger. Refer to "The Barbell Prescription" by Johnathan Sullivan.
Good for you! May I suggest that you celebrate by getting a new bike helmet. lol.
Originally Posted by Vek

Now, go make yourself even harder to kill by adding muscle mass and getting stronger. Refer to "The Barbell Prescription" by Johnathan Sullivan.

Believe it or not,I am actually stronger. I do work with weights and do calisthenics.I do yoga for Pete's sake. I don't want a huge amount of mass though. I'm going for Spiderman,rather than Hulk. I would rather be lighter and move faster than stronger and slower. I've seen guys that had great muscles but were too heavy to lift their own weight. I work out on a Yoga Body Yoga Swing. I set it up to work like Olympic rings and do suspended dips and pull ups,sit ups.
Originally Posted by Vek

...... I've seen guys that had great muscles but were too heavy to lift their own weight. ......

You're not going to do that. Fine if you want to stay like you are, no problem, but if you do functional lifting you're not going to get to big to move unless:
1. you really work HARD at it
2. give up on your sensible eating
3. focus on gaining weight

Just curious, other than weight loss what changes did you notice when you cut out dairy?

I'm not there yet, can't kick the cheese habit.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Just curious, other than weight loss what changes did you notice when you cut out dairy?

I'm not there yet, can't kick the cheese habit.

Pretty sure it helped me have less mucus.It's hard to tell though.It's not even that I would be against healthy dairy.I just think it would be hard to locate a real healthy source unless you produced it yourself,and even then,I think high cholesterol foods are better regulated by the body once in a while rather than every day. Lots of factors come into play. Physical activity has a huge role. A growth hormone that would otherwise cause cancer cells to grow can be moved into a location where it causes muscle to grow through exercise.And that hormone is very high with every day meat consumption.That is just one example of how complex some of this stuff is. On one hand you could say eating meat causes cancer,well it does if you eat more than you need to build muscle.
Shadow approves of this message!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Right on, Strong Work!
Clark congrats on you hard work you look better than great!
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I am fortunate to live where I can get on the bike and run my Lab on a mile circle of residential around and around before I head out down the highway. She is usually ready to go back home in about 5 miles but the enthusiasm she brings to the table always puts me in a good mood. She actually tries to race me most of the way. Her name is Pepper.
Astounding, impressive and inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
Congrats, RH, well done.

Ive had nowhere near the journey you've had, but at my physical last month my doc was worried about the weight I lost. Said I was pretty much the only patient he has that lost weight without intervention (lap bands, etc). Insisted on doing blood work after I told him all I did was cut carbs. Blood work came back great. Blood pressure, great. Feeling great. Eating great. Just low carb. He kept asking me about exercise. Good grief, I farm, where do I find time to exercise? Your body will tell you what it needs.

Right now, it's telling me to lighten up and have a good glass of rye..... wink
That is a fantastic achievement, RH. You are inspiring a lot of us.

Dogs are great exercise partners

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I am fortunate to live where I can get on the bike and run my Lab on a mile circle of residential around and around before I head out down the highway. She is usually ready to go back home in about 5 miles but the enthusiasm she brings to the table always puts me in a good mood. She actually tries to race me most of the way. Her name is Pepper.
Originally Posted by Dutch
Congrats, RH, well done.

Ive had nowhere near the journey you've had, but at my physical last month my doc was worried about the weight I lost. Said I was pretty much the only patient he has that lost weight without intervention (lap bands, etc). Insisted on doing blood work after I told him all I did was cut carbs. Blood work came back great. Blood pressure, great. Feeling great. Eating great. Just low carb. He kept asking me about exercise. Good grief, I farm, where do I find time to exercise? Your body will tell you what it needs.

I'll have a glass or two,or maybe 3 of Sangria with you my friend. Cheers!
That is one hell of an accomplishment.

Freaking awesome, congratulations RH Clark. I've not seen anyone transform like you have. You are quite the man. smile
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
That is one hell of an accomplishment.

True,but it was one hell of a long time F up to get that way to start with. The big thing is seeing who you really are rather than who you keep telling yourself you will one day be. That someday I will attitude never gets you anywhere.
Congrats, RH, well done.

Rye is known in some circles as being a complex carbohydrate.
Jus sayin !
Great Job that is quite a accomplishment.

I was once 444 lbs at 45 years old. I hadn't stepped on a scale in years so I had no idea i was that heavy. I started that day going low carb dieting and walking most every night 25-40 miles a week. I dropped 120 lbs in a year. Found out I had colon cancer at. So i figure I probably lost half of that weight from the diet and the other half to cancer. Had a colon resection and 24 rounds of chemo. Doctors advised my to stop dieting and just worry about the cancer. Of course with the chemo I had no energy to exercise as much and spent what energy I had on going to work. They gave me steroids to help with the chemo and it made my appetite go crazy. So needless to say I regained to 395 lbs. Hips and back were killing me so I decided to have Gastric bypass. Best decision I have ever made. I was 395 on July 17 2019 had surgery on July 31st 2019. This morning I weighed 257 lbs. Was wearing size 52 jeans in July and am now in size 40 that fits loose. No matter how you do it find a way to lose the weight.
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Great Job that is quite a accomplishment.

I was once 444 lbs at 45 years old. I hadn't stepped on a scale in years so I had no idea i was that heavy. I started that day going low carb dieting and walking most every night 25-40 miles a week. I dropped 120 lbs in a year. Found out I had colon cancer at. So i figure I probably lost half of that weight from the diet and the other half to cancer. Had a colon resection and 24 rounds of chemo. Doctors advised my to stop dieting and just worry about the cancer. Of course with the chemo I had no energy to exercise as much and spent what energy I had on going to work. They gave me steroids to help with the chemo and it made my appetite go crazy. So needless to say I regained to 395 lbs. Hips and back were killing me so I decided to have Gastric bypass. Best decision I have ever made. I was 395 on July 17 2019 had surgery on July 31st 2019. This morning I weighed 257 lbs. Was wearing size 52 jeans in July and am now in size 40 that fits loose. No matter how you do it find a way to lose the weight.

I agree on losing the weight. I want to say however that no matter how much or how little weight you lose nutrition is key. your body has to rebuild,repair and fight against damage every day. You have to give it good nutrition to do that or you won't be healthy no matter how much weight you lose.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Congrats, RH, well done.

Rye is known in some circles as being a complex carbohydrate.
Jus sayin !

Hey, I said I cut carbs, didn't say I cut out carbs.... A man's gotta know his limitations!

In all seriousness, at my size (6'5") and activity level (farm), I need no less than 4,500 calories per day this time of year. There's no way I could go without any carbs. My choice is to severely limit "white" carbs: grains, taters, sugar, soda, etc. Still eat lots of complex carbs in the form or beans, carrots, beets, etc, as well as some simple carbs, mainly dairy. Going without cheese is not an option....
Originally Posted by Vek

Believe it or not,I am actually stronger. I do work with weights and do calisthenics.I do yoga for Pete's sake. I don't want a huge amount of mass though. I'm going for Spiderman,rather than Hulk. I would rather be lighter and move faster than stronger and slower. I've seen guys that had great muscles but were too heavy to lift their own weight. I work out on a Yoga Body Yoga Swing. I set it up to work like Olympic rings and do suspended dips and pull ups,sit ups.

You will get as big as you eat. If you don't eat big, you won't get big. You've utterly mastered control over your diet. Crushed it, driven it before you. Its women are lamenting. Now harness that control to add some lean mass to your engine room (legs/hips/back). 10-20 lbs, not 50-60 lbs. The goal is go rather than show. If you wear slim fit or regular fit jeans, lift until they don't fit and you have to buy relaxed or athletic fit with same waist size. You don't have to get super bulky to see a MAJOR strength increase, of the kind that makes living easier and more fun. That sort of 10-20lb weight gain corresponds with you being able to squat sets of 5 reps with 185-225 pounds, and deadlift sets of 5 with 225-275. If you are already there, great. If not, you can get there in half a year, no problem. That's a very modest strength goal, but one that makes your joints stable and equips you to excel at any physical task, in comparison to others your age. You've gotten this far; don't settle.

People who have never been strong, are the toughest to convince that being strong is useful. Literally EVERYTHING physical that you do will be easier, including any so-called "endurance" work outside of competitive hundred-milers, marathons and triathlons.
Originally Posted by Vek
Originally Posted by Vek

You will get as big as you eat. If you don't eat big, you won't get big. You've utterly mastered control over your diet. Crushed it, driven it before you. Its women are lamenting. Now harness that control to add some lean mass to your engine room (legs/hips/back). 10-20 lbs, not 50-60 lbs. The goal is go rather than show. If you wear slim fit or regular fit jeans, lift until they don't fit and you have to buy relaxed or athletic fit with same waist size. You don't have to get super bulky to see a MAJOR strength increase, of the kind that makes living easier and more fun. That sort of 10-20lb weight gain corresponds with you being able to squat sets of 5 reps with 185-225 pounds, and deadlift sets of 5 with 225-275. If you are already there, great. If not, you can get there in half a year, no problem. That's a very modest strength goal, but one that makes your joints stable and equips you to excel at any physical task, in comparison to others your age. You've gotten this far; don't settle.

People who have never been strong, are the toughest to convince that being strong is useful. Literally EVERYTHING physical that you do will be easier, including any so-called "endurance" work outside of competitive hundred-milers, marathons and triathlons.

I agree with you my friend. I've had a few set backs.near heat stroke last summer and a pulled muscle in my back slowed me down but I am back on a gaining muscle trend. I watch Chris Heria on youtube and do calisthenics. I also work out with weights and do yoga. It's a long hard road but I do intend to be the best I can be and not settle for less. I study all kinds of weird things now like Wim Hof breathing techniques.
Way to go. You rock.
Show off! :^)
Impressive!
Congrats RH, that's a huge accomplishment.

But what else is going on? On another thread you ask for help putting together a cycling touring kit. You now mention speaking engagements while cycling to Colorado.

No mention of work or family.
RH, did you count calories?
Mr. Clark, you say you cut out dairy. Does that include eggs or are you talking cattle dairy?
Originally Posted by smarquez
Mr. Clark, you say you cut out dairy. Does that include eggs or are you talking cattle dairy?

I don't eat eggs.
Here you go.
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/flashback-friday-who-says-eggs-arent-healthy-or-safe/

How much credence to put into all this is up to you. I think personally that it is more a matter of too much something isn't good at all and certain amounts may be tolerated or even helpful. I am concerned about availability of quality eggs. I wouldn't think a few real farm raised eggs would be bad,but even then you have to think about feeds and the amounts of pesticides and contained and amount of genetic engineering of feed grains. If we could eat a few wild caught eggs about as often as man would have naturally found them,then I bet there wouldn't be a problem at all.
Originally Posted by Tarquin
RH, did you count calories?

No ,never. I actually eat huge amounts of food. I just don't eat junk anything,ever. I'll eat a salad about like you would normally make for 4 people. I'l eat a huge bowl of whole grain rice,black beans,avocado,red onions,and salsa. I'll have a dessert of slightly warmed frozen blueberries with a ripe banana and sprinkled with toasted oats and nuts.

I just make it all myself so I know what's in it. I don't eat processed anything or sugar ever.
Originally Posted by smarquez

I don't eat eggs.
Here you go.
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/flashback-friday-who-says-eggs-arent-healthy-or-safe/

How much credence to put into all this is up to you. I think personally that it is more a matter of too much something isn't good at all and certain amounts may be tolerated or even helpful. I am concerned about availability of quality eggs. I wouldn't think a few real farm raised eggs would be bad,but even then you have to think about feeds and the amounts of pesticides and contained and amount of genetic engineering of feed grains. If we could eat a few wild caught eggs about as often as man would have naturally found them,then I bet there wouldn't be a problem at all.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by AB2506
Congrats RH, that's a huge accomplishment.

But what else is going on? On another thread you ask for help putting together a cycling touring kit. You now mention speaking engagements while cycling to Colorado.

No mention of work or family.

Family doing well man. Wife and kids well. We been through a lot of financial things and ready for a change. Basically I guess I'm free finally to do what I need to do.I always thought I was meant to spread a message and I am a licensed minister but I was always just spreading someone else's truth. I was basically just an echo. I guess now I'm a voice,or at least have something to say that I really believe in. It's different than what I ever imagined and I'm not being received by who I thought were my own as I had expected, but that's another story.

My intentions are to ride my bicycle and use it as a tool to help spread a message of basically. WAKE UP TO TRUTH AND LIVE RIGHT NOW THE LIFE YOU WANT TO LIVE. I don't know how it will happen but I have faith.

My wife and children are moving to Colorado with me. I just plan on leaving about 3 months before they do and touring. Lots of stuff to do and get set up.I need a youtube channel and right now barely have a limping windows 7 and 1.5 MBPS download but It will happen.
© 24hourcampfire