Home
Posted By: hanco Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
How many have had them? Do you recommend getting those shots??
I will not be getting them.

I don't want to be a part of their experiment.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
I am with ya plainsman456. I will take my chances. Those people can't be trusted. At least in my eyes anyhow.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Yes
and yes

Only have to do my pneumonia every 2 or 3 yrs though
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Before we started getting flu shots, one or another of us got it at least every other year. Last year without one all 3 of us, at the time, had it at same time. Fun times. We have gotten flu shots every years since them, 1988?, and as wife and I got older we got the pneumonia shots as well. No side effects to either.
When I got the cancer diagnosis in September, one of the first questions was if I had had the flu/pneumonia shots, Yep, and still get asked it often. Oh, grown kids who don't get the shot: get the flu. Grandson has it for the second time this year now.
I don’t.

41. Never had flu. Knock on woods. 👊🏿
Posted By: gutthooked Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
I got both of them in the fall. Dr said my immunity to the pneumonia was really low so I went and got both.
Posted By: Tstorm1 Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Got the flu shot every year in the military and got the flu every year. Haven't gotten the shot since and only had the flu once in 20 years. Figure at some point I'll start getting the shot again but that is several years off.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
my wife and I usually do, but I've missed a few years simply because I just never got around to it. Neither of us has ever had the flu and we're both soon to be 62. They say it isn't 100% effective, but I see no downside.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Originally Posted by fgold767
Before we started getting flu shots, one or another of us got it at least every other year. Last year without one all 3 of us, at the time, had it at same time. Fun times. We have gotten flu shots every years since them, 1988?, and as wife and I got older we got the pneumonia shots as well. No side effects to either.
When I got the cancer diagnosis in September, one of the first questions was if I had had the flu/pneumonia shots, Yep, and still get asked it often. Oh, grown kids who don't get the shot: get the flu. Grandson has it for the second time this year now.

Never heard of twice in one year. Were these cases diagnosed subsequently to viral medical testing?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
What I've seen raising cattle, I believe in vaccines.
I do. Havent been sick once. I wash my hands a lot too tho.
Oh, good, can get in on this before it completely leaves the tracks into looney town.

A.) do what you want, i don’t care. But spare us the conspiracy theories.

B.) Flu shots. They cannot give you the flu (directly). You might feel run down, you might catch something else while you are. They do work, generally well, occasionally weakly. However, only against the three sometimes four strains the eggheads tried to predict a year in advance, based on what emerged in asia the prior year (in a nutshell, that’s were fllu comes from). There’s nothing but your natural immunity to protect you from other flus. Lastly, if you’ve copd, asthma, heart disease, renal disease, sickle cell, or diabetes, etc, it makes sense to not try to do battle with evil asian flu s you might not be strong enough to stand up to, catch pneumonia later in the disease process, and croak. Up to you.

C.) Pneumonia series. It works, and it’s even (maybe) improved from what it was. It will not necessarily prevent you from getting pneumonia. However, it will mitigate sepsis from pneumococcal pneumonia. Who cares? Well, statistically, same list of persons above at most ages, plus persons laid up in a hospital bed regardless of reason for being there if over 65yo. Up to you.

sandcritter md

Damn cancer. Welcome to the club. Thats the first thing they did to me after surgery.. "you need a flu shot"..
Black leg shots don't count. grin
I wish you had commented on the high number of people claiming they had the flu when it was actually viral bronchitis or the common cold and was not as serious as the flu, Doc.,
Think I’ve had about 5 rounds of that 4-series engerix hep B vaccine. My titers never show up. And they make me re do the things.

Pimpin ain’t easy.
I will not try to keep anyone from getting them if that is what they want to do.

I have had the pneumonia series and have the screwed up nails on my toes and fingers to prove it.

No more.
Maybe when they can prove that they got it right WITHOUT any side problems MAYBE i will think about it.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
I get every type of immunization available. The international traveler set has the full hepatitis series A, B, C. Most of these diseases can be food born. I can't imagine anyone not getting the hepatitis series.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Had two part Pneumonia shot. Trying get insurance to ok 2 part shingles shot now. No flue and never have had flue shot.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I wish you had commented on the high number of people claiming they had the flu when it was actually viral bronchitis or the common cold and was not as serious as the flu, Doc.,

I had viral bronchitis for two weeks around New Years.
X Ray was clean, never had a fever, had a flu shot in October, and tested neg on the quick strip strep and also 48 hour culture.

So no pneumococcal
no streptococci

Purely viral, was rough
Felt like smoke inhalation.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20

When one is in their sixties a severe case of the flu or pneumonia can be life threatening. I’m up to date on flu, pneumococcal and shingrix vaccines.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Coming off a week and a half of flu type A whatver that is, weren't no fun whatsoever, at all. Never get shots. Haven't been sick in decades until now.
Originally Posted by slumlord

I had viral bronchitis for two weeks around New Years.
X Ray was clean, never had a fever, had a flu shot in October, and tested neg on the quick strip strep and also 48 hour culture.

So no pneumococcal
no streptococci

Purely viral, was rough
Felt like smoke inhalation.

Had it. Took Prednisone 50 mg Qod several days. Took 3 weeks to get well enough to breath cold air, Slum.

Take care and God bless ya.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20

Yep and yep for me on both.

I've been getting a flu shot most years since I found out they don't use a live virus in the vaccine anymore. My first flu shot was in basic training back when they still used the live virus and we all got sick.

The few years I did not get the shot I usually got sick with the flu. One year I did get a flu shot and still came down with it. I also got it twice in the same flu season one year when I didn't get the shot. Another time I all of a sudden got real dizzy then literally passed out and fell on the kitchen floor twice in a row when it first hit me.

So far so good this flu season. plenty of it going around here in my area too.

In my early 70s now and after years of flu shots I'm not aware of any negative health concerns due specifically to flu vaccines.

As always though,YMMV...

Posted By: WAM Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
No on flu, yes on pneumonia shot.
Posted By: Papag Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
75 years old. Flu shots as far back as when they used weakened virus. Never a full blown case of flu. This year my first case of pneumonia, and I've also had those shots. Go figure.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
I have gotten the higher strength senior flu shot for several years now, haven't had the flu. I've also had pneumonia shot and two part Shingrex shots.
Never had a shot. I've missed 4 days of work in 16 years
Motorcycle wreck was 2 days and caught some really bad [bleep] in the Dallas airport that about killed me in 2010.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Oh, good, can get in on this before it completely leaves the tracks into looney town.

A.) do what you want, i don’t care. But spare us the conspiracy theories.

B.) Flu shots. They cannot give you the flu (directly). You might feel run down, you might catch something else while you are. They do work, generally well, occasionally weakly. However, only against the three sometimes four strains the eggheads tried to predict a year in advance, based on what emerged in asia the prior year (in a nutshell, that’s were fllu comes from). There’s nothing but your natural immunity to protect you from other flus. Lastly, if you’ve copd, asthma, heart disease, renal disease, sickle cell, or diabetes, etc, it makes sense to not try to do battle with evil asian flu s you might not be strong enough to stand up to, catch pneumonia later in the disease process, and croak. Up to you.

C.) Pneumonia series. It works, and it’s even (maybe) improved from what it was. It will not necessarily prevent you from getting pneumonia. However, it will mitigate sepsis from pneumococcal pneumonia. Who cares? Well, statistically, same list of persons above at most ages, plus persons laid up in a hospital bed regardless of reason for being there if over 65yo. Up to you.

sandcritter md

Thanks for the advice, Doc. Just had my pneumonia shot last Tuesday. I don't do flu shots but maybe I should.
Originally Posted by joken2

Yep and yep for me on both.

I've been getting a flu shot most years since I found out they don't use a live virus in the vaccine anymore. My first flu shot was in basic training back when they still used the live virus and we all got sick.

The few years I did not get the shot I usually got sick with the flu. One year I did get a flu shot and still came down with it. I also got it twice in the same flu season one year when I didn't get the shot. Another time I all of a sudden got real dizzy then literally passed out and fell on the kitchen floor twice in a row when it first hit me.

So far so good this flu season. plenty of it going around here in my area too.

In my early 70s now and after years of flu shots I'm not aware of any negative health concerns due specifically to flu vaccines.

As always though,YMMV...

They used to always suck it out of a big bottle with preservative which bothered me.

Now I get the single dose vac with no preservative. No problems for years until this time when it upset my stomach a few days.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I don’t.

41. Never had flu. Knock on woods. 👊🏿

Be careful gramps.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
I've had both and yes, I recommend getting them.
Posted By: Buck720 Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
The one and only flu shot I took made me sicker than a damn dog!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Originally Posted by MM879
I get every type of immunization available. The international traveler set has the full hepatitis series A, B, C. Most of these diseases can be food born. I can't imagine anyone not getting the hepatitis series.

Yep A is “food borne” only in the case of insufficient sanitation - lack of hand washing. It is fecal:oral in transmission.

The other hepatitis are spread via intimate contact.

Originally Posted by Buck720

How long ago?
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
The probability of getting ill from the vaccine is a far lower than the probability of a senior getting ill from not getting them and it could very well be fatal to the elderly. Since I am one of them,I get the vaccines every year.

I vaccinate my livestock every year for low probability of disease. I see no reason I should do less for myself.
Posted By: longarm Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
I haven't had either, not keen to.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
I got my very first flu shot a couple months ago.

Got diagnosed with influenza B yesterday.
Posted By: shootem Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Got enough troubles without the flu or newmoanya. Get the shots on schedule and have not had the flu since I started the habit. Only had pneumonia once and that was enough for the next two lifetimes. I'll do everything recommended to prevent des Debil diseases. Same for shingles cept never had it yet.
I took the flu shot last year for the first time in 22 years. I didn't take it this year. 22 years ago I got the flu shot because the Marine Corps made me and six hours later I was flat on my back and stayed that way for a week. So far I've got sicker from the shot than I have from not having it.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
............. No side effects to either. ...........When I got the cancer diagnosis in September, one of the first questions was if I had had the flu/pneumonia shots, Yep,........
That sounds like a terrible possible side effect.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Originally Posted by ironbender

Yep A is “food borne” only in the case of insufficient sanitation - lack of hand washing. It is fecal:oral in transmission.

Yes, I understand that. International travel will expose you to things you never dreamed of. China is the worst.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Originally Posted by ironbender

Yes, I understand that. International travel will expose you to things you never dreamed of. China is the worst.

Can't disagree with the last statement
I get mine. And will continue to do so.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Been getting the flu shot for a while now. Haven't had it since I started, but that may be as much about my lifestyle as anything else. We don't go out much, and when I shop, I use wipes on the cart and my hands, don't touch my face until I get home and wash. No colds either. Because of my age, I get a bigger dose of the vaccine.

Finished the shingles shots last month. That one kicks my butt for a couple of days, but nothing compared to shingles.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
I get them every year. Now if they could come up with a shot for the common cold!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
I used to be an anti-vaciner; finally decided that second guessing my MD made as much sense as it would if he tried to tell me how to do my job.
Posted By: Buck720 Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Originally Posted by Buck720

How long ago?

About 8 years ago it’s the only time I have ever been that sick and haven’t been sick since so I will take my chances
Posted By: chris_c Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Flu and shingles shots yes

Pneumonia when I am old enough
Go get the flu shot asap! Hell get a couple.....more adjuvants the better I say.

Heck might as well toss in a couple mmr and dtap while you're there too.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
I get the flu shot every year. They must have got it right this year because the flu strain that is going around is hitting people in my office hard.

That is, those that don't believe in the flu shot are the ones getting sick.

I really should start getting the pneumonia shot as I'm susceptible to it since I almost died from it when I was 1.

The last time I had it, it was not good.

I keep trying to talk my parents into getting the flu shot but they are dead set against it.
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
I got the flu shot this year. Wife did not, she got the flu and was sick for a week. In bed for 2 days straight. Does that tell you anything? I got pneumonia twice and bronchitis in the 1990's. Haven't had pneumonia since, never got the flu. Had bronchitis twice since. Bronchitis was funny, never got a fever, very little if any cold. Just started as a cough and kept coughing for several weeks. Had to take steroids to get over it.

Flu shots do work. Not an experiment. I do take pneumonia shots every 5 years.
I don't get those shots. There can be bad side effects.
Every year in the summer they forecast which type of flu will hit in the coming winter. Then they formulate shots for that type of flu.
Half the time, they pick the wrong type of flu.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Every year in the summer they forecast which type of flu will hit in the coming winter. Then they formulate shots for that type of flu.

Ok, Boomer.

lol just kidding.

grin
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Originally Posted by hanco
How many have had them? Do you recommend getting those shots??

Hell yeah and shingles too.
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20

So without the flu shot you may have 100% chance of getting the flu and with it you have 50% chance. Hmm. I prefer to cut my chances in half. They got it right this year, especially for my wife and I. The later in the fall you get them, the more accurate the guess. Too early may be the wrong shot. Wait a month or so after they come out, then they may have the right one.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20

From what I've read and been told when I've got flu shots it takes about 2 weeks +/- for the flu vaccine to give full protection.

You can still get the flu if you came in direct contact with the flu virus before getting the shot and/or during the period before it reaches full protection level.
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude

So without the flu shot you may have 100% chance of getting the flu and with it you have 50% chance. Hmm. I prefer to cut my chances in half. They got it right this year, especially for my wife and I. The later in the fall you get them, the more accurate the guess. Too early may be the wrong shot. Wait a month or so after they come out, then they may have the right one.

Absolutely, get your flu shot asap people! 50% less chance of getting the flu!
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
Only had the flu once when I was 45. Gonna turn 70 later this month. But I started getting them at age 65 after my doctor finally yelled at me to get one after refusing every year. He said if I know what's good for me I better start. Well; he's my doctor; I trust him, and he knows a hell of a lot more about that stuff than I do. I've heard lots of positive stuff from other senior citizens about getting your shot.
Posted By: victoro Re: Pneumonia and flu shots - 02/08/20
"He said if I know what's good for me I better start."

Or what?
© 24hourcampfire