Home
Posted By: rlott Instant Pot - 02/09/20
My wife won one at a raffle a while ago. I was skeptical at first but have fallen in love with the damn thing and come up with a whole bunch of ways to cheat at slow cooking that would make traditionalists cringe.

Last night I put 2 pork loins in it, dumped in a bottle of root beer and cooked them on high for 50 minutes. Then drained it, dumped a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray’s in there and had some pulled pork that was pretty damn good.

Anyone other Instant Pot cheaters out there?
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
I’ve had one for a while. I don’t use it a lot and wifey is skeptical about it.

However, she‘s recently got into making her own yogurt. She insisted on having a yogurt maker even though the Instant Pot has a yogurt setting. Over her objections, I decided to make the last batch with the Instant Pot. Now she admits that she liked that yogurt better and is starting to look at other recipes for the Instant Pot.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20

I got one on Black Friday.
So far I've made rice, yogurt, and pot roast in it. All have turned out great.
I've already donated my crock pot and rice cooker.
Posted By: montanabadger Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
So what the hell is it? I googled it and can't bring anything up. Got a link?
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
Yeah we use ours a lot. The kids love homemade Mac and cheese and it’s super easy to make

Originally Posted by montanabadger

It’s an electric, programmable pressure cooker
Posted By: montanabadger Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
Never mind
Posted By: hanco Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
Wifey uses hers a lot. Makes some good eats!
Posted By: RAS Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
My wife uses it all the time for lots of meals and loves it. The teriyaki chicken is the best IMO.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
We love meatloaf made in the Instant Pot, it's one our favorite meals prepared in it so far I'm sure there are many more.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by montanabadger

Its an effing pressure cooker. The name suggests it's aimed at people who are too dumb to understand water gets hotter at 5 psig than atmospheric pressure and therefore cooks faster.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
The mommy unit here at my domicile uses one. Seen her dump a frozen hen in there and in about an hour (I think) that chiggin is thawed, cooked and its flesh is falling off the bone.

Has a program schedule, timer, buttons, lights, makes a little tune when it’s done. Another counter hog
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
I bought Momma an Instant Pot for Christmas '18. She took it back to the store, got the money back and applied it to a Ninja Foody with air fry, and broiler. About $200. I put a pot roast in it once. She has never used it.

I bought a "Fa#gor" stove top 8 qt pressure cooker at Bed Bath and Beyond this fall, for $29. I use it quite often.

Last time was multi bean with ham. Bring a pot of beans to simmer, drain off the water and rinse. Add more water, a bit of pearled barley, ham & bone. Bring to pressure and time for twenty minutes.

Dried red, kidney, black, pinto, and lima beans with ham fully cooked and ready to eat in less than an hour.

My Mom, Gramma, and Aunts all had Rival pressure cookers. They could have an old wore out laying hen cooked tender for dinner with rice, or noodles, or dumplins in short order. I can not believe I waited so long to buy one.

ETA: I had to add the pound sign to the brand name to get past the [bleep] ha ha
Posted By: colodog Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
It gets used 2-3 times a week around here. Love it but a slow cooker isn't replaced by it...
Posted By: slumlord Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
I use my big Rival for canning 7 quarts of mason jars at a time of blue lakes.

I’ll can green beans, I’ll salsafy fresh tomatoes, I grill mammal flesh

But I ain’t no pyrex muffin pan Phaggot. 😐
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
We have one. My wife fixes BBQ ribs, Swiss steak, some pasta dishes, and other meals in it. I like her pot roast and pinto beans in the slow cooker better.
Posted By: gutthooked Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
I make frozen chicken wings in mine in 15 minutes.... it's really a very handy appliance for the kitchen.
Posted By: rlott Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
We have one. My wife fixes BBQ ribs, Swiss steak, some pasta dishes, and other meals in it. I like her pot roast and pinto beans in the slow cooker better.

I like getting the biggest, gnarliest, cheapest ribs I can find and put them in there for 40 minutes then finish them on the grill.
Posted By: Etoh Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
Geez --- thought this was a faster way to grow marijuahana
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
I’m sicker than a dog right now but wifey got inspirational and made miso soup, then a Ukrainian rice and beef dish in the Instant Pot.

Turned out awesome. And she was glad that only one pot was needed.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
I bought one took it to deer camp everyone there ended up buying one. Just like the 17 HMR when it first came out and I brought it to deer camp
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Instant Pot - 02/09/20
I use it to make carnitas and they turn out wonderful.

Also- it’s the best way to make hard boiled eggs. The shells peel of easily every time.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
It will cook wild turkey thighs and drumsticks in 52 minutes falling off the bone... it would take me 3-4 hours on the stove... I use mine a fair amount.
Posted By: cas6969 Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
I use one, more often two, every day. (have 3)
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Oh....I thought this was about illegal drugs .
Posted By: ClearAirTurbulence Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20

I was skeptical but the daughter in law gave us one for Christmas. Love it.

Crock pots are a crock. Instapots are a whole different thing.
Posted By: scoony Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Throw some deer shanks in there with an onion, can of diced tomatoes and bay leaf and pressure cook for 50 minutes. Fork the meat off the bone, add veggies and pressure cook another 20 minutes. You will not throw away those shanks anymore.

I smoke some pretty good baby backs, but on occasion, I cut them into 2 bone sections, and pressure cook with a can of crushed tomatoes and fresh basil. Serve with pasta.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
If you twist that little red arrow thing on top like you were twisting off a bottle cap you won’t do it twice.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
If you twist that little red arrow thing on top like you were twisting off a bottle cap you won’t do it twice.

Hot! Hot! Hot!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife

Do it with a yardstick....and run, Run I tell ya
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Great kitchen appliance.
We have a 3quart and a 6quart.
We use them all the time.
The 3quart is good for 2 people, most recipes need to be halved. It’s main use is yogurt making.
38 minutes for a rack of ribs rolled up, and 5 minutes to finish on the grill. They come out as good as 4-5 hours at 200*
Posted By: kennyd Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Best part is no rocker to monitor. And that it has a timer. It has a slow cooker setting too, but I cant remember ever using that setting. The sear function really does sear a roast
Posted By: WTF Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
I thought this was about that chit they sell at every interstate exit in Colorado
Posted By: 700LH Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Pinto beans tender in 20 minutes then slow cook a few hours to blend all the flavors.
Every bit as good as an overnight soak and cooking all day.
Bake potatoes in 12-14 minutes, steamed and moist.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
I like it for cooking dry beans. It eliminates the soak overnight AND it gets hotter/higher temp than a slow cooker, which is a good thing with dried beans.
Posted By: BayouRover Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Oh....I thought this was about illegal drugs .

Me too. I thought maybe someone had perfected hydroponic mary jane when I saw the thread title.
Posted By: marktheshark Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Use ours all the time. Everything from roasts to soups and stews. Wife has an instant pot cookbook and also gets alot of good recipes online. Great kitchen appliance to have!
Posted By: 1minute Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Have near everything in the world equipment wise for cooking. If one truly wants speed, a full blown pressure cooker really gets it done. Then again, so does a Dutfch Oven that one buries right after breakfast out in the woods.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Works great to make chicken bone broth. Save the chicken carcasses and bones when you make chicken. Throw all the bones, skin, scrap in the pot with carrots, onions, celery. Cook 2.5 hours then strain. Excellent broth
Posted By: SCRUBS Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Works great for hard boiling eggs & making bone broth.
Posted By: 79S Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Use ours all the time.. frozen chicken toss it some water salt etc 40 minutes later it’s done..
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by 1minute
Have near everything in the world equipment wise for cooking. If one truly wants speed, a full blown pressure cooker really gets it done. Then again, so does a Dutfch Oven that one buries right after breakfast out in the woods.

Well said.
With enough time (usually the result of planning ahead), cooking can be done with low heat. The basic stovetop pressure cooker was the timesaver shortcut before microwaves showed up. The pressure cooker skipped at least one or two generations (other than for canning) and became a forgotten tool. The Instapot seems New and exciting, but is just a pressure cooker reborn with buttons and programs for folks that don’t want to learn the basic stovetop model.

There’s nothing wrong with an Instapot if you’re willing to trade dollars, complexity, longevity and need for an electrical outlet for the simplicity of the stovetop model. No wrong answers........ including using time and low heat.
Posted By: viking Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
I have the Yedi Pot, a different version is all. Comes with a rack to make boiled eggs. I haven’t used it yet.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
The mommy unit here at my domicile uses one. Seen her dump a frozen hen in there and in about an hour (I think) that chiggin is thawed, cooked and its flesh is falling off the bone.

Has a program schedule, timer, buttons, lights, makes a little tune when it’s done. Another counter hog

Hate that. Right now, mine's full of cast bullets and primers, and an Erie cast iron skillet that needs seasoning. All picked up for a song. smile
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20

I made creme brulee in mine and it turned out awesome.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Got one for Christmas and flat out LOVE it. That is surprising since I had sloughed off the hype on what is merely a pressure cooker on steroids. In an hour it makes a superb venison stew that used to take me overnight or longer. I keep trying new concoctions. I found a big package of gnarly venison that had gotten lost in the freezer and missed its intended grind. It turned out tender and tasty. Carrots and or potatoes in minutes, etc. It takes longer to prep or cut up most things than it does to cook them.
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
My wife bought the name brand one. It seems not to seal properly some times.

But, yeah, when it does seal up properly, it is a wonder. basic 10 minute soup. I save bones & scraps now. Chicken, pork, beef. Put them in a ziplock in the freezer and when I get enough, I bust them up a bit to get at the marrow and give them a half hour or so with carrots, onion, and celery in the instant pot.

My wife has used it to can sugary items. Canned/candied plums for the best pancake syrup & topping ever. That has turned out grand. She now wants to get a big honking canning pressure cooker to can meaty items, like soups and stews.
Posted By: Travis13 Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Lets step this thread up a notch, links to favorite recipes
Posted By: Steve Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by Travis13
Lets step this thread up a notch, links to favorite recipes

This is in regular rotation at our place.

Instant Pot Chicken Posole
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Instant Pot - 02/10/20
My old hunting partner told me about his wife’s IP. So I bought my wife one. She liked it so much I bought daughters and granddaughters one for Christmas. Hasbeen
© 24hourcampfire