Home
Posted By: Valsdad Rural California - 02/10/20
Signs around town point to our area still being part of the "Old West". I guess so:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Neighbor's horses must have gotten out sometime during the night/early morning. Went out to feed the chickens, our older male dog went out in the backyard and started to barking his "something ain't right here" bark. Looked up and neighbor was chasing these down the road with his flatbed, back up the road to the ranch.

Went out by the woodpile/sheds/and chicken coop later and found they'd been back there sometime during their wanderings too. Good thing I didn't step in it.

This morning, while the sun was low on the horizon, it was easy to see their footprints where they came right down the gravel driveway.

Geno
Posted By: jnyork Re: Rural California - 02/10/20
Aint the first time some horse schitt has been posted here.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Rural California - 02/10/20
Geno, at least your dog didn't roll all over in that horse chit!

My dad's heeler wouldn't have been able to resist.....
Posted By: hanco Re: Rural California - 02/10/20
Lots of dogs would have rolled in that cshit
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Rural California - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by jnyork
Aint the first time some horse schitt has been posted here.

L O L ! ! !
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Rural California - 02/10/20
Something about rolling in horse poop just seems irresistible to dogs, more so than cow poop.

May have to try it sometime to see what all the fuss is about. grin
Posted By: Stix Re: Rural California - 02/11/20
Most folks think of LA or Sanfran when thinking of California. The reality is that once you get north of Sacramento it gets very rural very fast and is predominately hardcore republican. Lots of stunning country here. It’s too bad that the few ruin it for the rest of us.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Rural California - 02/11/20
Nice, but how do I get there from North East Urth?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Rural California - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by Stix
Most folks think of LA or Sanfran when thinking of California. The reality is that once you get north of Sacramento it gets very rural very fast and is predominately hardcore republican. Lots of stunning country here. It’s too bad that the few ruin it for the rest of us.
It's not the few. It's the majority. They're the ones who voted in your current state officials.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Rural California - 02/11/20
Horses and northern California, another invasive species! Eating the food native species need! Those road apples will help your garden, in a couple years!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Rural California - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by Heym06
Horses and northern California, another invasive species! Eating the food native species need! Those road apples will help your garden, in a couple years!

Yeah, Heym, but these aren't the Devil's Garden horses. These are his working horses,usually they're out in his pasture. He runs cows up there on the Garden and a few other places. Loads these horses up in his trailer, drives up, works his cows, brings them home at night. I'm thinking they walked right out his driveway gate. I'm going to bug him about putting in a cattle guard there. grin

Geno
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Geno, at least your dog didn't roll all over in that horse chit!

My dad's heeler wouldn't have been able to resist.....

Breeze got a taste. laugh

Have you seen my post last week about Dandee, the new puppy? I take Breeze out in the evening by himself, on a leash due to "whippetitis". I wanted to see if those horses had crossed behind the sheds and gone across the little creek, so when I took Breeze out for his walk I went back that way. Wanted to see if he'd track them some. Got past the shed, he got his head down and within a few feet found a pile I hadn't seen earlier. Lil' fugger is good at that!

Probably would have ate a bunch and then rolled if he hadn't been on leash. He and Katie, the old girl whippet, love to roll in the deer poop at the local school field we run them on. During the rut they have needed baths as soon as we get home.

Fuggin scheidt eatin' dogs.................I don't know what I'd do without them though.

Geno
Posted By: irfubar Re: Rural California - 02/11/20

It was conservative 30 yrs ago, nowadays not so much..... it's all relative, too much indoctrination over too many years... I suffer these so called conservatives from California in my neighborhood, they are anything but conservative.... same with old friends and even family members from Calif. they have no clue how liberal they have become over time.
Originally Posted by irfubar

It was conservative 30 yrs ago, nowadays not so much..... it's all relative, too much indoctrination over too many years... I suffer these so called conservatives from California in my neighborhood, they are anything but conservative.... same with old friends and even family members from Calif. they have no clue how liberal they have become over time.

Hey, don't be pickin' on us just because we like clean air and water.................

and would like a bullet train like the Japanese. whistle

Geno
Posted By: 700LH Re: Rural California - 02/11/20
Can hunters use lead bullets there?

How much is a tag for Mtn. lion?

Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill today banning bobcat hunting in California.

It was signed among a package of bills promoting “animal welfare” and “fighting animal cruelty.”
Originally Posted by 700LH

Stop pickin' on us cause we support copper miners.

And kitty cats that like to eat mountain bikers. Too many of them on our hiking trails, the bikers that is.

Geno
Posted By: 700LH Re: Rural California - 02/11/20
How long till the sale of leather is prohibited?
Vegie McBurgers only soon?

year after Los Angeles became the largest city in the country to ban the sale of animal fur, the entire state of California has followed suit. On October 11, Governor Gavin Newsom approved bill AB44, which makes it illegal to sell, donate, or manufacture new fur products in the state.

The new law will apply to clothing, handbags, shoes, hats, slippers, or key chains that contain animal fur. However, the law does exempt leather, cowhide, and shearling as well the use of fur for religious purposes, taxidermy products, and used fur. The law will take some time to go into effect — January 1, 2023, to be exact.

Governor Newsom also signed bills focusing on animal cruelty, including the ban on using animals such as monkeys, elephants, and tigers in circuses, legislation that prohibits the killing of bobcats, and another law that protects wild and domestic horses from slaughter.

“California is a leader when it comes to animal welfare and today that leadership includes banning the sale of fur,” Governor Newsom said in a statement. “But we are doing more than that. We are making a statement to the world that beautiful wild animals like bears and tigers have no place on trapeze wires or jumping through flames. Just YouTube the videos showing the cruel way these animals — often stripped from their mothers as babies — are trained to do dangerous tricks. It’s deeply disturbing.”

Other states may soon follow in California’s footsteps. As CBS News points out, Hawaii and New York have introduced their own fur-ban legislation. If enacted, the new laws will be more in line with the fur-ban trend that has been seen more often in the fashion industry. In recent years, brands such as Armani, Prada, Coach, and Burberry have all vowed to stop using fur in their collections.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Rural California - 02/11/20
More pictures.

Right friggin now yeah?

My folks are thinking about taking a big tour through California to visit friends.

Their friend want them to spend time with him at his vacation spot in McCloud. I guess its pretty nice up there.
How long till the sale of leather is prohibited?
Vegie McBurgers only soon?

year after Los Angeles became the largest city in the country to ban the sale of animal fur, the entire state of California has followed suit. On October 11, Governor Gavin Newsom approved bill AB44, which makes it illegal to sell, donate, or manufacture new fur products in the state.

The new law will apply to clothing, handbags, shoes, hats, slippers, or key chains that contain animal fur. However, the law does exempt leather, cowhide, and shearling as well the use of fur for religious purposes, taxidermy products, and used fur. The law will take some time to go into effect — January 1, 2023, to be exact.

Governor Newsom also signed bills focusing on animal cruelty, including the ban on using animals such as monkeys, elephants, and tigers in circuses, legislation that prohibits the killing of bobcats, and another law that protects wild and domestic horses from slaughter.

“California is a leader when it comes to animal welfare and today that leadership includes banning the sale of fur,” Governor Newsom said in a statement. “But we are doing more than that. We are making a statement to the world that beautiful wild animals like bears and tigers have no place on trapeze wires or jumping through flames. Just YouTube the videos showing the cruel way these animals — often stripped from their mothers as babies — are trained to do dangerous tricks. It’s deeply disturbing.”

Other states may soon follow in California’s footsteps. As CBS News points out, Hawaii and New York have introduced their own fur-ban legislation. If enacted, the new laws will be more in line with the fur-ban trend that has been seen more often in the fashion industry. In recent years, brands such as Armani, Prada, Coach, and Burberry have all vowed to stop using fur in their collections.

Hey, don't pick on us because we like fuzzy things.....................unless it's a natural puzzy..................them things look bad peekin' out from under a thong at the beach.

Geno

PS, that one pissed me off some, for sure. Then again, a lot of what comes out of Suctomento does.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
More pictures.

Right friggin now yeah?

My folks are thinking about taking a big tour through California to visit friends.

Their friend want them to spend time with him at his vacation spot in McCloud. I guess its pretty nice up there.

McCloud is cool. Way more trees, and bigger than the junipers here on the valley floor. Neighbor has a few ponderosa pines planted in that corner behind the horses. I'm thinking of putting a few in myself.

McCloud area has a lot of oaks too. Way more water over there. And generally not as cold as here. But, I've no pics of that area that I know of, at least not on the 'puter.

I'll check though.

Geno
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Rural California - 02/11/20
Well, in the mean time........

Get after more RANCH pics!
I'm on it Jim,

I think I have a good pic of our HUGE 200'x200' pasture! It even has a lean to shed in case I get some stock this year.

Been thinking one or two of them sawed off, long haired bovine varieties. Or maybe a llama or two.

Wife won't let me adopt a preggo Devil's Garden filly, or I'd start my own herd of cow ponies.

Geno
OK, these publicly owned, transient, RANCH visitors just crossed behind my shop and are now entering my neighbor's 5 Acre RANCH (a bit small for my tastes), at an open gate about 30 yards in front of those horses' noses.

Jan 2019 sunrise over the East end of the RANCH. If one looks hard, one can see the custom lean to for future critters in the picture. Please note the requisite RANCH woodpile and tarp over the corral boards. Old tractor tire protecting the well head too.

The sunrise got even better. Neighbor's RANCH house is kinda in the way though. But I can't seem to run the black man off. Yep, even WAY out here we have some of them folks. South Warner Mountains in the distance of the center of the pic.

Geno
Posted By: jnyork Re: Rural California - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
M

It is indeed.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Rural California - 02/11/20
California is a beautiful place, It's just run by some low life's
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Rural California - 02/11/20
Modoc county is a place of natures beauty.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Rural California - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
California is a beautiful place, It's just run by some low life's

That's the essence of it.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Rural California - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Stop pickin' on us cause we support copper miners.

And kitty cats that like to eat mountain bikers. Too many of them on our hiking trails, the bikers that is.

Geno
How much do y'all shoot your AR's with thirty round mags or one-hundred round drums up there? Are you gonna get one of the American made AK74's? Can we expect a review of it after you get yours? Is your county a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary? What about an Assault Weapon Sanctuary?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Rural California - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Signs around town point to our area still being part of the "Old West". I guess so:

Neighbor's horses must have gotten out sometime during the night/early morning. Went out to feed the chickens, our older male dog went out in the backyard and started to barking his "something ain't right here" bark. Looked up and neighbor was chasing these down the road with his flatbed, back up the road to the ranch.

Went out by the woodpile/sheds/and chicken coop later and found they'd been back there sometime during their wanderings too. Good thing I didn't step in it.

This morning, while the sun was low on the horizon, it was easy to see their footprints where they came right down the gravel driveway.

Geno

Horse chit may be a novelty to you Geno, but I drive through it every time I go on any of the area roads. The horse apples are bad enough to have to drive through, but the horseshoe nails they leave on the road are heck on tires. Back when I was a rural mail carrier, I told an Amish man that I was going to start sending him the bills on my tire repair from the flats I was getting on the road by his house. He said it wasn't his fault, it was God's will.................and I told him that God didn't lose those nails on the road, his horse did.
© 24hourcampfire