Home
Posted By: RJY66 Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
My 86 year old Mom is needing some as her hearing has gotten pretty bad over the last year or so. I don't know anything about them and neither does she.

Any advice on what to look for?
Posted By: doubletap Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
You can’t beat Costco’s price anywhere. Less than half the cost of what I paid an audiologist for my first pair. Get her tested before deciding what type to get.
Posted By: tskin Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
I second buying at Costco. I’m happy with mine. Audiologist checked me out and his offer cost 3.5 times very similar aides cost at Costco.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
Ditto. Claudia was a teacher of the deaf and thus has more than a little insight in this field. She agrees that Costco has very good audiologists, does rigorous testing, and puts your needs above their profits.
Posted By: cowman Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
Just got checked there myself. Too many years of farming and shooting have taken their toll. My wife was getting pizzed at my selective hearing grin Not sure if that will change much, but my test showed high frequency loss. I have a set coming to try, with a 6 month trial which is impressive. I felt the hearing department at Costco was professional and well run. 2500 bucks for my trial pair, which would have cost 6000 at the local hearing aid center...
Posted By: Redneck Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by cowman
Too many years of farming and shooting have taken their toll. My wife was getting pizzed at my selective hearing grin Not sure if that will change much, but my test showed high frequency loss.
Your post could easily be an echo of my situation..

The time is coming, soon...
Posted By: dale06 Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
What brands does Costco carry?
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
Just go to Costco and get a test. I have had Costco hearing aids for 5-6 years now. Going in a few weeks for a new set
Brand doesn't matter as much as how a given aid is designed. Some are better at handling specific types of hearing loss. Others are more easily programmed to handle different environments. Some have remotes or can be adjusted with a smart phone. Some have Bluetooth. You get the idea.

At any rate, Costco uses only top-shelf brands, none of those "$699 for TWO!" you see advertised (which are junk, btw.)
While the set I got from Costco were good units, the follow-up service left much to be desired.
I would not get any more at the ABQ Costco - but I believe the problem was limited to the one outlet.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
By the way, hearing aids don’t solve all hearing problems. My wife still accuses me of selective hearing.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Ditto. Claudia was a teacher of the deaf and thus has more than a little insight in this field. She agrees that Costco has very good audiologists, does rigorous testing, and puts your needs above their profits.

They would be the first company in history if they do.
I will repeat the above....Costco if you have one nearby. I have a serious high frequency hearing loss. My first pair of hearing aids cost me over $3000. I bought them from a local hearing aid place. There was no Costco back then. Those aids worked fairly well for 5 years and then one went bad. I checked locally and they wanted $4000 for a comparable pair. I went to Costco and got the most thorough hearing test that I have ever had. The lady then told me that the store brand aids would work fine for me at a cost of $1599. These new hearing aids are a great improvement since they now have the speaker in the ear instead of having a hollow tube leading to the speaker in the aid. The lady who took care of me was great. She did not pressure me to buy. She actually said I might get another couple of years out of the aids if I wanted to send the one back for repair. After checking the cost of repair vs. the cost of a new set, I just went ahead and got new aids. Much better product.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
Does she have a Medicare Advantage plan? Medicare won't pay for them but likely an Advantage plan will. It won't be at Costco, though.
If she doesn't, Costco is by far the cheapest place to go and they don't sell junk. A tech here told me that when it's time for them to renegotiate a contract with a manufacturer, Costco sets a fair price. Then they tell the makers to bring the best they can sell at that price. The makers bring some of their best stuff because they know that the volume will be huge and they'll still make a lot of money even selling them at a discount. Of course a good share of the price is for the service Costco gives. It's very good.

About Costco's warranty...5 or 6 years ago, I was out in a pasture doing some fence repair and I lost one out in the grass somewhere. The next day I found it but it had been thoroughly chewed up by a goat. I took it in to see if it was repairable and they said it was still under warranty and I got a brand new one at no cost. That warranty's pretty hard to beat. They said they occasionally got one that had been chewed by a dog but this was their 1st goat.
Leon's post is an example of Costco putting our needs ahead of their profit. I had the same experience a few years back. Great testing protocol, in-depth discussion, and then the audiologist said "I could sell you some aids, but you really aren't in great need just yet."

Last year, I got a pair from the VA. I still am kind of on the cusp of needing them or not, but the VA is spring-loaded to the "issue them" mentality.

Today's behind-the-ear units have rice-sized speakers that go into your ears. The former sound tube to the unit is now a flexible wire. MUCH better sound quality with no external sound "bleed" into the tube. And they're also rechargeable - no more fumbling with tiny batteries. Just drop them into the charger at night.
And they're also rechargeable - no much fumbling with tiny batteries. Just drop them into the charger at night.
Do those chargers need 120v or can they be recharged from a 12v or maybe a phone power pack? I'm thinking about a 5 or 6 day camping and/or hunting trip with no power.
RC, mine have a charger unit with its own battery inside. I can get two to three days on my aids, and then the charger can give me two or three more full charges. Ten days easy and two weeks of charge likely (although I haven't had to test that.) And the charger plugs to a USB.

On long fishing trips, I carry a small folding solar panel. It recharges my AA GPS batts as well as my hearing aid charger. Goal Zero brand of panel.
Thanks. I have a phone power pack that can recharge my phone 3 or 4 times. Any USB device can be recharged with it. My aids use 312 batteries and they only last 3-4 days. I need to find out if they will work with rechargables.
The rechargeable batteries in hearing aids aren't removable like 312s. They're sealed in (making the unit a lot more waterproof, as a bonus.) You'd have to get newer aids to have rechargeable. I don't think they make rechargeable 312s.
Posted By: stantdm Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
If you don't have a Costco nearby but do have a Sam's Club give them a shot. I have purchased my last two pair of aids from the Rapid City SD store and the service, especially after the sale, could not be better. I cannot speak to other Sam's stores but the lady who runs the one in Rapid City is the best customer service person you could ask for.
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
I got mine at Sams in OKC, there was no Costco at the time, 3 yrs ago, it is total change in life with the wifey,she is happy now ,amazing what you can hear. I worked as a steelworker for 30 + yrs.and have shot all my life, blind in both ears, Lol, I think the warranty was four yrs. I have taken one back and got brand new one, no charge, from what info I can get it's the little speakers that go out on them, any brand, they do cost . I don't put them on when working cattle or in really dusty stuff, you have to keep them really clean,all of them. Robert
Posted By: dale06 Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
Does Costco or Sams sell Oticon hearing aids?
Posted By: Windfall Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
Craigslist comes to mind. There probably isn't one of us seniors who don't know of a more senior friend or relative who forked over 6k for a set of state of the art hearing aids and then died and there is a like new pair of hearing aids sitting home in a drawer somewhere. I personally know of three pair. At age 86, they are already ahead of the curve on any actuarial table. I do wonder if morticians bury many hearing aids? Costco refurbished possibly???
Originally Posted by dale06
Does Costco or Sams sell Oticon hearing aids?
You need to ask Costco who makes their Kirkland brand. They put them out on bid every few years. Mine were made by Rexton. They sell the best quality available for the price they want to sell them for. Because of the huge volume they sell, manufacturers sell them the best stuff they have and still make money.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
If your mom needs 'em, maybe she should have them. But, as somebody who has been looking into getting a pair myself...when I ask my friends of similar age of their thoughts on the subject, about 4 out of 5 say, "I got a pair at home in the drawer, you can try them, and if they work for you...you can have them." It seems there is a lesson there somewhere.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
This year I went to the hearing aid doctor because I can't hear my wife.
The doctor said my left ear is dead above 2k Hz because I am a right handed rifle shooter.
I paid $6k.

It turns out I can't hear the wife with the hearing aid either. She is low talker that speaks while clanging thing together right on the key words.

I have not worn the hearing aid again since the first month. Waste of money.
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
The lesson I see, is , when you have them on you become accountable to Questions, when you don't you can play dumb to the ones you don't want to answer, just what I do anyway...Lol
Posted By: Etoh Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20

Most hearing loss is "high frequency roll off". loss between 19000 down to around 12000. which means that word sound alikes will be confused, the ability to "pull out a specific conversation from background noise", and the loudness of any sound rules what yu hear.

At the top of list, the person getting the aids must be very "loud" about informing others, especially spouses, they have a handicap. Others must speak clearly, use tongue on hard consonants, and talk above 40 db. or go fught themselves.

any talking while walking down a hall way with head down, will be dealt with by a plate to the back of the head. I love to whisper I cant hear you.

Do not talk louder because you cant hear, this only makes "them" talker quieter, talk lower and they will talk louder, its an amazing trick.

Have all the latest trick stuff in mine, but the feature I like the most is the off switch. People would be surprised how much noise pollution they put up with. It really is a problem,
Lots of difference between analog hearing amplifiers, and digital with AI chips that adjust the phase relationship for direction. Make sure you ask who ever about that stuff.

Prefer Miracle Ear, every year they say, I see your aids are slowing down, lets send them in under warranty for a new pair. I don't wait in any lines, never need to make an appointment, and they don't care what state Im in at the time.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
Grandma just smiled and nodded a lot and that seemed to work fine for her. Sweetness always tries to carry on a conversation from at least one room away and it is amazing what I tend to hear or not hear sometimes. Like most of you right hand shooters, our left side high frequency hearing got left at the rifle range. She knows that I have a good ear and a bad ear and I always have a built in excuse for saying that I didn't hear her say something.
Originally Posted by Angus55
The lesson I see, is , when you have them on you become accountable to Questions, when you don't you can play dumb to the ones you don't want to answer, just what I do anyway...Lol

Yup stupid questions.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
Anyone who shoots should consider having built in protection for gun shots.
Posted By: labsandelk Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20

I have had hearing aids for 15 years and have experienced all of the above mentioned problems, cost vs quality and service. I get mine from the VA but the brands are similar to those mentioned..In my experience background noise is the major factor leading to frustration with the hearing aids.
Everything including wind noise will interrupt the quality of reception. Please work with her to explain some of the issues you have read here.
Also, if possible get the ones that are rechargeable and have a self contained battery
high frequency roll off is age dependent an not necessarily, deterioration of the hair cell, and not db dependent.

sometimes female communications is more histrionics than fact transfer.

If someone gets upset because I didn't hear them, I jump in their [bleep] with both feet, Yelling COMMUNICATION IS A TWO WAY EVENT. UU HAVE AS MUCH RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE UNDERSTOOD AS I DO TO HEAR YOU.
Hearing aids can't fix hearing problems. What the test does is identify what frequencies you've lost. Then they amplifies the frequencies you can hear on both sides of the lost area. It's not a cure, just a partial go-around. My problem is background noise. If there's noise in the room, I can't make out speech at all. Any sound coming through a PA system is just noise.
sheet
We talked my Mother in law into going to cosco to get her hearing tested.

She always said that there was nothing that they could do for her.

Her problem is she did not want to spend the money to get a good set of aids.

After her visit she no longer had to turn up the tv to 55+ just to hear the shows.

It is nice.
It did not cost as much as she thought and has gone back to get adjustments from time to time and get them cleaned.

It's worth it.

She is 87 years old.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Hearing aids can't fix hearing problems. What the test does is identify what frequencies you've lost. Then they amplifies the frequencies you can hear on both sides of the lost area. It's not a cure, just a partial go-around. My problem is background noise. If there's noise in the room, I can't make out speech at all. Any sound coming through a PA system is just noise.

yes thats called the "cocktail syndrome" picking out a conversation in a group the highest decibel count level will be the one yu hear. some aids have directional pickup, and you can use an app on your cell phone to "trick" the ear mics , not a total fix but workable.
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Anyone who shoots should consider having built in protection for gun shots.

Yes especially if they use muzzle brakes.
Posted By: byron Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by Etoh

Most hearing loss is "high frequency roll off". loss between 19000 down to around 12000. which means that word sound alikes will be confused, the ability to "pull out a specific conversation from background noise", and the loudness of any sound rules what yu hear.

At the top of list, the person getting the aids must be very "loud" about informing others, especially spouses, they have a handicap. Others must speak clearly, use tongue on hard consonants, and talk above 40 db. or go fught themselves.

any talking while walking down a hall way with head down, will be dealt with by a plate to the back of the head. I love to whisper I cant hear you.

Do not talk louder because you cant hear, this only makes "them" talker quieter, talk lower and they will talk louder, its an amazing trick.

Have all the latest trick stuff in mine, but the feature I like the most is the off switch. People would be surprised how much noise pollution they put up with. It really is a problem,

I have tinnitus in both ears with it being worse in the left ear, and hearing loss in general more in the left ear.
My aids are only of marginal help for me with volume adjustment and directional adjustment.
It is amazing how pissed people get when you have to ask them to speak in a way that will help you hear them.
Mine were free from the VA. I still have to change batteries every few days, but they're working better than the $6K ones we got for my wife from a private audiologist. VA will also inspect and adjust mine when needed, and send free batteries and other consumables for them when needed.
Jerry
If that is intended to imply that hearing aids are some form of hearing protection, THEY ARE NOT!

Just the opposite, in fact. They will amplify gunshots up to a certain decibel level, and then they shut off - but to protect their own circuits. NOT to protect you. Shooting with hearing aids in will damage your hearing more than wearing no ear protection at all. If you shoot, take out your aids (and turn them off if you can) and then wear the best hearing protection you can buy. They do make electronic earplugs and muffs, but those are very different things from hearing aids.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
I have Costco hearing aids and my experience is pretty much the same as everyone else's in the posts above. Good service before and after the sale and I have had them readjusted after three years. My wife still complains I have selective hearing and it took a commitment to get used to wearing them.

My FIL had Sam's Club hearing aids and my wife thinks they worked better than mine from Costco. After he passed we kept his hearing aids and I am thinking about checking with Sam's Club to see if they can be re-programmed for my hearing loss.

In my opinion, either Sam's Club or Costco is where I would start, whichever is more convenient.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
Good luck getting a wife to talk to you from the same room, with her head up, facing you, speaking clearly. The lotto odds are 4x that happening on a good day.
Originally Posted by stantdm
If you don't have a Costco nearby but do have a Sam's Club give them a shot. I have purchased my last two pair of aids from the Rapid City SD store and the service, especially after the sale, could not be better. I cannot speak to other Sam's stores but the lady who runs the one in Rapid City is the best customer service person you could ask for.

Pretty much my experience with the Sam's here. Lady in charge of the hearing aid booth is very helpful.
I can't wear mine at home. Wife and BIL are both severely hearing impaired and won't wear their devices, so they turn their TV volume up to the max- - - - -on different channels! Ever try to listen to two blaring TV's at once, and try to have a phone conversation or just carry on normal household communications?
Jerry
I go outside to talk on my phone when she gets it going.

One can't hear much if Judge Judy or the Wheel of fortune or other shows are on.

Same for gunsmoke.
Posted By: victoro Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
"While the set I got from Costco were good units, the follow-up service left much to be desired.
I would not get any more at the ABQ Costco - but I believe the problem was limited to the one outlet."

You should complain to Costco. You can stop by the hearing counter anytime if you a problem with your hearing aids without an appointment. They also replace the ear inserts and test your hearing aids every 60 days. You just drop them off at the counter shop for about 15 minutes or so and they're done.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
Where's a guy go to get the wax checked and cleaned out of your ears?
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Where's a guy go to get the wax checked and cleaned out of your ears?
Get one of those little squeeze bulbs they use to clean the snot out of baby's noses. Use it to squirt a little peroxide in your ear. It will bubble & fizz but it will dissolve the wax without danger to your ears. Use warm water in the bulb to flush it out. If you have a lot of wax, it might take several cleanings to flush it all out. Don't overdo it as some wax is good. It protects the ear drum from bugs and dirt.
Originally Posted by RJY66
My 86 year old Mom is needing some as her hearing has gotten pretty bad over the last year or so. I don't know anything about them and neither does she.

Any advice on what to look for?

You can schedule a hearing test on the phone. Right after the test they'll go over the results and explain the options. Just tell them you want the top of the line rechargeable hearing aids. Mine cost a little over $2700 and that's for everything including the exam. It takes a few weeks to get the hearing aids and they'll call you to set up an appointment to pick them up. They'll show you how they work and set up a follow up appointment to make sure everything is working right. If you have questions/problems between the time you pick up your hearing aids and the follow up appointment you can call or just stop by the hearing aid counter. In fact you can do that anytime after you get your hearing aids.
little old lady English teacher talking to audio folk, "tI would like to return these please they don't work",,
audio "why whats wrong with them"
teacher " the people talking still have speech impediments"

a lot of the hearing aids problem may be the "stub" it is not the correct size and is not in the ear canal far enough. they can be "trimmed" with scissors for better fit.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Brand doesn't matter as much as how a given aid is designed. Some are better at handling specific types of hearing loss. Others are more easily programmed to handle different environments. Some have remotes or can be adjusted with a smart phone. Some have Bluetooth. You get the idea.
Yeah, I need to make sure I ask for a set that does NOT NOT NOT need a g@#!^med 'smart phone'....

At any rate, Costco uses only top-shelf brands, none of those "$699 for TWO!" you see advertised (which are junk, btw.)
Very good to hear that..
"a lot of the hearing aids problem may be the "stub" it is not the correct size and is not in the ear canal far enough. they can be "trimmed" with scissors for better fit."

Costco has all difference sizes of "ear buds". They put the same size in both my ears but the left side was little harder to get in and out. It came off in my ear one Friday night when I took them out to put in the charger. I went to the local clinic the next morning to get it pulled out ($10 copay). I went to Costco right after that and they replaced the left side with the next smallest size while I waited. No problem since then. Costco offered to pay me back but it wasn't worth the trouble to file a claim.
Posted By: M16 Re: Need hearing aid advice - 02/11/20
An old man is concerned that his wife is starting to go deaf...
The old man goes to the doctor and says, "My wife can't hear very well anymore and I am getting worried. What should I do to help her?"
The doctor thinks for a minute and says, "First we need to understand how serious the problem is. Stand 25 feet away from her and ask her a question. If she doesn't respond, walk 5 ft closer and ask again. Repeat this until she can hear you and then let me know how far away you were standing."
The man is so concerned for his wife that he agrees to do what the doctor suggested. When he gets home, he sees his wife cooking in the kitchen. He stands 25 feet from his wife and says, "What's for dinner?"
The wife does not answer and he walks closer, "What's for dinner?"
The man does this 2 more times until he is standing only 5 feet from his wife. The man is now very worried and tries one last time, "What's for dinner?"
The wife looks over and yells at him, "I HAVE TOLD YOU 4 TIMES ALREADY, WE ARE HAVING LASAGNA!"
© 24hourcampfire