Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Mine were free from the VA. I still have to change batteries every few days, but they're working better than the $6K ones we got for my wife from a private audiologist. VA will also inspect and adjust mine when needed, and send free batteries and other consumables for them when needed.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If that is intended to imply that hearing aids are some form of hearing protection, THEY ARE NOT!

Just the opposite, in fact. They will amplify gunshots up to a certain decibel level, and then they shut off - but to protect their own circuits. NOT to protect you. Shooting with hearing aids in will damage your hearing more than wearing no ear protection at all. If you shoot, take out your aids (and turn them off if you can) and then wear the best hearing protection you can buy. They do make electronic earplugs and muffs, but those are very different things from hearing aids.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Costco hearing aids and my experience is pretty much the same as everyone else's in the posts above. Good service before and after the sale and I have had them readjusted after three years. My wife still complains I have selective hearing and it took a commitment to get used to wearing them.

My FIL had Sam's Club hearing aids and my wife thinks they worked better than mine from Costco. After he passed we kept his hearing aids and I am thinking about checking with Sam's Club to see if they can be re-programmed for my hearing loss.

In my opinion, either Sam's Club or Costco is where I would start, whichever is more convenient.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good luck getting a wife to talk to you from the same room, with her head up, facing you, speaking clearly. The lotto odds are 4x that happening on a good day.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by stantdm
If you don't have a Costco nearby but do have a Sam's Club give them a shot. I have purchased my last two pair of aids from the Rapid City SD store and the service, especially after the sale, could not be better. I cannot speak to other Sam's stores but the lady who runs the one in Rapid City is the best customer service person you could ask for.

Pretty much my experience with the Sam's here. Lady in charge of the hearing aid booth is very helpful.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I can't wear mine at home. Wife and BIL are both severely hearing impaired and won't wear their devices, so they turn their TV volume up to the max- - - - -on different channels! Ever try to listen to two blaring TV's at once, and try to have a phone conversation or just carry on normal household communications?
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I go outside to talk on my phone when she gets it going.

One can't hear much if Judge Judy or the Wheel of fortune or other shows are on.

Same for gunsmoke.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"While the set I got from Costco were good units, the follow-up service left much to be desired.
I would not get any more at the ABQ Costco - but I believe the problem was limited to the one outlet."

You should complain to Costco. You can stop by the hearing counter anytime if you a problem with your hearing aids without an appointment. They also replace the ear inserts and test your hearing aids every 60 days. You just drop them off at the counter shop for about 15 minutes or so and they're done.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Where's a guy go to get the wax checked and cleaned out of your ears?

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Where's a guy go to get the wax checked and cleaned out of your ears?
Get one of those little squeeze bulbs they use to clean the snot out of baby's noses. Use it to squirt a little peroxide in your ear. It will bubble & fizz but it will dissolve the wax without danger to your ears. Use warm water in the bulb to flush it out. If you have a lot of wax, it might take several cleanings to flush it all out. Don't overdo it as some wax is good. It protects the ear drum from bugs and dirt.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by RJY66
My 86 year old Mom is needing some as her hearing has gotten pretty bad over the last year or so. I don't know anything about them and neither does she.

Any advice on what to look for?

You can schedule a hearing test on the phone. Right after the test they'll go over the results and explain the options. Just tell them you want the top of the line rechargeable hearing aids. Mine cost a little over $2700 and that's for everything including the exam. It takes a few weeks to get the hearing aids and they'll call you to set up an appointment to pick them up. They'll show you how they work and set up a follow up appointment to make sure everything is working right. If you have questions/problems between the time you pick up your hearing aids and the follow up appointment you can call or just stop by the hearing aid counter. In fact you can do that anytime after you get your hearing aids.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
little old lady English teacher talking to audio folk, "tI would like to return these please they don't work",,
audio "why whats wrong with them"
teacher " the people talking still have speech impediments"

a lot of the hearing aids problem may be the "stub" it is not the correct size and is not in the ear canal far enough. they can be "trimmed" with scissors for better fit.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Brand doesn't matter as much as how a given aid is designed. Some are better at handling specific types of hearing loss. Others are more easily programmed to handle different environments. Some have remotes or can be adjusted with a smart phone. Some have Bluetooth. You get the idea.
Yeah, I need to make sure I ask for a set that does NOT NOT NOT need a g@#!^med 'smart phone'....

At any rate, Costco uses only top-shelf brands, none of those "$699 for TWO!" you see advertised (which are junk, btw.)
Very good to hear that..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"a lot of the hearing aids problem may be the "stub" it is not the correct size and is not in the ear canal far enough. they can be "trimmed" with scissors for better fit."

Costco has all difference sizes of "ear buds". They put the same size in both my ears but the left side was little harder to get in and out. It came off in my ear one Friday night when I took them out to put in the charger. I went to the local clinic the next morning to get it pulled out ($10 copay). I went to Costco right after that and they replaced the left side with the next smallest size while I waited. No problem since then. Costco offered to pay me back but it wasn't worth the trouble to file a claim.

M
M16 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
An old man is concerned that his wife is starting to go deaf...
The old man goes to the doctor and says, "My wife can't hear very well anymore and I am getting worried. What should I do to help her?"
The doctor thinks for a minute and says, "First we need to understand how serious the problem is. Stand 25 feet away from her and ask her a question. If she doesn't respond, walk 5 ft closer and ask again. Repeat this until she can hear you and then let me know how far away you were standing."
The man is so concerned for his wife that he agrees to do what the doctor suggested. When he gets home, he sees his wife cooking in the kitchen. He stands 25 feet from his wife and says, "What's for dinner?"
The wife does not answer and he walks closer, "What's for dinner?"
The man does this 2 more times until he is standing only 5 feet from his wife. The man is now very worried and tries one last time, "What's for dinner?"
The wife looks over and yells at him, "I HAVE TOLD YOU 4 TIMES ALREADY, WE ARE HAVING LASAGNA!"

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 160user, 21, 260madman, 257 roberts, 48 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,345
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.