Home
Posted By: CEoW717 Can anyone identify this gun?? - 02/16/20
Here’s what I know:

Winchester Model 70
.22-250
Benchrest shooter
Water cooler barrel.
Yes I said water cooled... I’ve scoured the internet and talked to everyone I know. I’ve been told there’s always someone on here that can identify anything. Here’s the test!

Attached picture BBDF07C2-55F8-4F45-A4E1-3D2981761CF3.jpeg
Attached picture 90565480-5521-4571-8A89-8B8338C9BF1E.jpeg
More photos

Attached picture 59F32322-30E8-42DD-948B-6A507E138D41.jpeg
Attached picture BA4552E9-688D-429B-87E2-335C5199B90F.jpeg
I assume that's a nipple for a hose?
Don't know crap about it, but it's I interesting!
Google has some info on water cooled varmint rifles..
Let me get out my magnifying glass! Some bigger pictures would be nice. smile
It’s as 2 schrader valve ends to hook up hoses.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Let me get out my magnifying glass! Some bigger pictures would be nice. smile

https://imgur.com/a/2zhz2GK
Originally Posted by JimH
Google has some info on water cooled varmint rifles..

Where? I’d love to see that link.
It is interesting. Not very practical. I am sure someone on here has knowledge of it for sure.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
It is interesting. Not very practical. I am sure someone on here has knowledge of it for sure.

Not practical at all... tubes, fittings, water container, pump, patience lol
Not on that one but,

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/10/water-cooled-heavy-gun-set-1000-yard-world-record/

Here’s something you’ve probably never seen before — a liquid-cooled benchrest rifle. No, this is not just a crazy experiment. This gun, built by Joel Pendergraft, produced a 10-shot, 3.044″ group that is still listed as the International Benchrest Shooters (IBS) 1000-Yard Heavy Gun record. Using this water-cooled 300 Ackley Improved, Joel shot the record group in April 2009 at Hawks Ridge, NC. This monster features a 12-twist, 4-groove Krieger barrel. Joel shot BIB 187gr flat-based bullets in Norma brass, pushed by a “generous amount” of Alliant Reloder 25 and Federal 210M primers.

😄
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Not on that one but,

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/10/water-cooled-heavy-gun-set-1000-yard-world-record/

Here’s something you’ve probably never seen before — a liquid-cooled benchrest rifle. No, this is not just a crazy experiment. This gun, built by Joel Pendergraft, produced a 10-shot, 3.044″ group that is still listed as the International Benchrest Shooters (IBS) 1000-Yard Heavy Gun record. Using this water-cooled 300 Ackley Improved, Joel shot the record group in April 2009 at Hawks Ridge, NC. This monster features a 12-twist, 4-groove Krieger barrel. Joel shot BIB 187gr flat-based bullets in Norma brass, pushed by a “generous amount” of Alliant Reloder 25 and Federal 210M primers.

😄

I read all up on that and made some calls... it was my only lead.
Powers Custom, out of either KC or Independence MO, built some of those for prairie dog shooters, back in the late '90s or thereabouts. There was at least one feature article about them in one gun magazine and I think the Varmint Hunter's Association magazine, too. It wasn't a new idea, it had been ripped off from the old water-cooled machineguns of WWI and WWII, they had to have a pressure manifold and pump system to pump the water from coolers thru the water jackets to keep the pressure the same for every shot, and they were complicated systems.
I thought it was kinda neat, but the price for a system, and the smithing for the water-jacketed barrel and assorted equipment was pretty pricey. I thought it was more practical to just buy a couple more rifles and swap them out when one got hot. I was doing a lot of PDoggin' back then, and read about it with a lot of interest, but no money in the bank for such things.
I didn’t know they made such a thing.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Powers Custom, out of either KC or Independence MO, built some of those for prairie dog shooters, back in the late '90s or thereabouts. There was at least one feature article about them in one gun magazine and I think the Varmint Hunter's Association magazine, too. It wasn't a new idea, it had been ripped off from the old water-cooled machineguns of WWI and WWII, they had to have a pressure manifold and pump system to pump the water from coolers thru the water jackets to keep the pressure the same for every shot, and they were complicated systems.
I thought it was kinda neat, but the price for a system, and the smithing for the water-jacketed barrel and assorted equipment was pretty pricey. I thought it was more practical to just buy a couple more rifles and swap them out when one got hot. I was doing a lot of PDoggin' back then, and read about it with a lot of interest, but no money in the bank for such things.

What’s “that kind of money”? I think I bought it right.
Also, thanks for the lead ratsmacker
If I were you I would register at Benchrest Central. Post the pics there if he was into BR those folks will probably be able to help. Other option would be at the Trinidad school of gunsmithing. http://trinidadstate.edu/gunsmithing-degree/index.html
water cooled guns

https://www.pinterest.com/SawBones1342/water-cooled-guns/
I hate Pinterest. They ruined the google image search.
Originally Posted by kingston

Same. None of those look like what I have. I’m a pretty good googler boys
Originally Posted by kingston

Yep. That and trying to find a Meme during a web search. 😡
Originally Posted by CEoW717

Danged if I know, it was over 20 years ago!

IIIRC, the work alone was around $2500, but I could very, very easily be mistaken about that, on the low end. Still, it was 20 odd years ago, and again, recall might be sketchy, it was made for the guys who use trailers with shooting tables mounted on them, and parked either in prairie dog fields or for the Northern California/Oregon/Nevada ground squirrels. They would pull into a field, square up the trailer, fill the coolers with cold water (and more ice, if needed, to keep the water cool) and have at it. I was real jealous of their shooting opportunities, it sure sounded fun.
PM Butch Lambert on here. He hangs out at BR Central and is probably the best source on this site.
With the one lead in NC I’d try Ray Bowman at Precision Rifle in Mebane NC. If he didn’t build it he may know who did. There are many good smiths in that state but many are connected so I’m thinking he might be able to help.
Sometime, I think20 or 30 years ago, someone (95% sure Layne Simpson) did an article in Handloader or Rifle about water cooled varmint rifles. IIRC, it seemed like a God-awful amount of money at the time.
Originally Posted by cra1948
Sometime, I think20 or 30 years ago, someone (95% sure Layne Simpson) did an article in Handloader or Rifle about water cooled varmint rifles. IIRC, it seemed like a God-awful amount of money at the time.

I thought it might have been "Guns" Magazine, but I sure wouldn't want to fight over it. I also wouldn't want to bet on my memory from back then. You could very well be right.
I'll ask Ron Power the next time I see him.

Danged if I know, it was over 20 years ago!

IIIRC, the work alone was around $2500, but I could very, very easily be mistaken about that, on the low end. Still, it was 20 odd years ago, and again, recall might be sketchy, it was made for the guys who use trailers with shooting tables mounted on them, and parked either in prairie dog fields or for the Northern California/Oregon/Nevada ground squirrels. They would pull into a field, square up the trailer, fill the coolers with cold water (and more ice, if needed, to keep the water cool) and have at it. I was real jealous of their shooting opportunities, it sure sounded fun.

Does sound fun... apparently I bought it right.
PM Butch Lambert on here. He hangs out at BR Central and is probably the best source on this site.

I’ll do that thank you.
Originally Posted by gremcat
With the one lead in NC I’d try Ray Bowman at Precision Rifle in Mebane NC. If he didn’t build it he may know who did. There are many good smiths in that state but many are connected so I’m thinking he might be able to help.

I’ll do that Monday. Thank you.
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I'll ask Ron Power the next time I see him.

That would be great. Apparently he sold his company in MO

What’s his handle?
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/users/6810/butchlambert1
kinda how my still works.
I remember seeing some of those rifles about 30 years ago. If I remember correctly, they were not intended to be shot while connected to the water source. It was simply a method of more quickly cooling the barrel in between strings of shots in the dog town.
Custom TC
Winchester M70 receiver..
It still amazes me the creativity of some people.

Thanks, Dinny
Pretty unique idea.
yes, pretty cool barrel
pun if needed
If I were you I would register at Benchrest Central. Post the pics there if he was into BR those folks will probably be able to help. Other option would be at the Trinidad school of gunsmithing. http://trinidadstate.edu/gunsmithing-degree/index.html

Apparently Wilbur has had some issues with Spammers so registration is temporarily disabled.....
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

Apparently Wilbur has had some issues with Spammers so registration is temporarily disabled.....

I got registered

I got registered

Good, the reason I put in Trinidad is the last I knew Speedy Gonzalez is still a part time instructor there. That man is extremely knowledgeable. Had a couple of conversations with him on FB.

I got registered

Good, the reason I put in Trinidad is the last I knew Speedy Gonzalez is still a part time instructor there. That man is extremely knowledgeable. Had a couple of conversations with him on FB.

I actually have a gun built by Speedy and Stick.

Attached picture 776B088F-988F-4FBE-93B9-27028492050E.jpeg
© 24hourcampfire