Home
Just turned it on. The previews looked good, but they alway do, even if the end product sucks.
Kinda misrepresented the incident at Jumonville Glenn. We’ll see.
7mm
Yep, they missed an opportunity to discuss the controversy that exists today as to who fired first, at Jumonville Glen. Both sides were likely war parties, looking for a fight. History Channel also could have filmed the incident at the true location, as they did at Fort Necessity. I thought they did a pretty good job at depicting the battle at Fort Necessity.
For the average person, one who’s not a history nerd, I’d say it’s a pretty decent portrayal. They’ve simplified a few of the things, but it’s been several years since I’ve read up on our revolution, so I can’t pick out anything really glaring.
I think they might have done a little better at casting, but again, most people who aren’t nerds like me have no idea what Henry Knox or other historic figures look like.
7mm
Guest Negroes have already bashed him, for being a slave owner.

I hit mute any time Bubba Clintoon has something to say.
A lot of people owned slaves back then. Wasn’t right, but nothing we can do now.
Watched Sundays episode yesterday and last night's today...enjoying it so far. Never put stock into who's casted to play the role, who cares. It's the history that matters. It's all interesting, no matter how many times I've heard it, learned it, or read it.
Slooooooow
I tried this last night and got nowhere, so I am going to give it another go - the guy portraying Washington looks more like Ichabod Crane.
Why on God's green earth with the thousands of history scholars in this country, did they pick Bubba Clinton to defile Washington's documentary? Then they pick Colin Powell , the back stabber, to top it off. I'm trying to watch it, but I get tired of hitting mute and turning my head away. I wonder if Bubba ever discussed the greatness of Washington with Jeffry Epstein while flying to Pedo Island?
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I tried this last night and got nowhere, so I am going to give it another go - the guy portraying Washington looks more like Ichabod Crane.

I thought it was Prince Charles
I thought it was a pretty good series. Washington was an amazing leader.
Beyond having a bunch of candy assess who couldnt make it through what he ate for breakfast, let alone a week of his life, I thought it was about the best the modern day could offer the greatest U.S. President, ever.
Actually, I think it was much better than I’ve come to expect from THC the last few years.
Some of the historians seem hung up on the fact that he owned slaves. I’m white, and I’m somewhat of a historian myself, so I can understand it being the context of the times. From my reading, I think Washington realized it was wrong, but like most planters, he also knew he couldn’t financially afford to free himself of the stain. Washington was very concerned about how History would view his legacy. Martha burned all their correspondence at his dying request. He was private and shy, a good writer but not a public speaker.
I was surprised by Bubba Clinton being on there. If he read history of some of the founders, he sure didn’t learn much about integrity!
Philbrick and Ellis I’m familiar with and have a favorable opinion. Others I’m not, so I won’t comment further.
They did simplify the Jumonville thing, and Washington’ Final role in the final taking of Ft Duquesne. He was an adviser on the Forbes expedition, but he insisted (incorrectly IMHO) that Forbes follow Braddock’s road. The road through PA, and the fort in Ligonier were invaluable in driving the French out of western PA. I’m from western PA and Ive studied this, so...
I’ve often wondered at his stubborn refusal to evacuate New York during the war, and his passion to retake it after the French fleet came over. Even an amateur like me can understand that the city was untenable without a navy to control the sea and the river around it.
Arnold’s betrayal was covered pretty well. I personally think Peggy was the instigator and the drive behind Arnold’s treason. Washington would’ve loved to get him alive. He actually sent men to enlist in Arnold’s British unit for the purpose of kidnapping him and bringing him to trial! I wouldn’t have ruled out assassination, but Washington did. I’m looking forward to reading Philbrick’s book about this, Valiant Ambition.
Washington was a diest, he believed in A Christian God but belonged to no particular religion. He had a belief that God watched over him physically and That “The hand of Providence” saved his army several times in the revolution. They left out this, and overlooked the words “so help me God” when he took the oath as president. Take that as you will.
Washington’s ability to hold an army together, despite congress’ refusal to help, and his talent for getting others to cooperate with him, in spite of their personal feelings towards him, was, I think, his greatest contribution to our nation. Both Gates and Charles Lee, probably a couple others, thought they’d make better leaders and actually plotted against him.
He had his shortcomings. We all do as humans. But Washington should e remembered as the patriot and the leader he was. I think they did pretty well with it.
Looking forward to Grant. Another man I admire.
7mm
Yep. The series on Grant should be interesting. I’d like to see History Channel keep rolling these out. There are soooo many great people and stories for them to highlight. I’ve seen enough of American Pickers for a while.
I'm waiting on them to try to say the Founding Fathers were planted here by Ancient Aliens.
Finally the History Channel getting back to history instead of aliens, junk buyers, Canadian island money pits, & pawn shops.
I’ve pretty much given up on THC, what with scripted reality shows and hoaxes like ancient aliens and project blue book! History is what you have proven, not some halfazzed theory based on what may be real or maybe not. Being a Christian, I also think they get off on blaming some scriptural history on space men rather then God Himself.
Wifey and I do watch the Oak island show, but according to the book that came out last year, Marty Lagina, who is one of the bosses and main money investors the project, suspects that one or more of the metal objects they found found were planted by the tv show! He said if he finds out it’s true, he will pull the plug on tv immediately!
When we first got cable in the 80s, THC always had pretty good programming. I watched an awful lot about American history, modern marvels and most of the biographies of famous people. Being a History buff, I was on cloud nine.
Somewhere along the line, they decided scripted “reality” shows like pawn stars was easier and cheaper than actually doing research! Someone should be ashamed.
I hope they start doing history again, I got no interest in swords or flying saucers. And Hitler died in the bunker! Even the damn Russians knew that! mad
Washington was much better than I expected. As I said, if you’re not into reading history, the little liberties taken for simplicity’s sake and time wise are no big deal. As a historian, I admit I was looking for inaccuracies and political correctness. Other than the slavery stuff by a few of the folks interviewed, I was pleasantly surprised.
7mm
Originally Posted by reivertom
Why on God's green earth with the thousands of history scholars in this country, did they pick Bubba Clinton to defile Washington's documentary? Then they pick Colin Powell , the back stabber, to top it off. I'm trying to watch it, but I get tired of hitting mute and turning my head away. I wonder if Bubba ever discussed the greatness of Washington with Jeffry Epstein while flying to Pedo Island?

I’ve only watched the first episode so far, I’m thinking it could be more of a hit job against Washington and an attempt to rewrite history.

We'll see.
Pawn Stars will give you more accurate history.
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
... History is what you have proven, not some halfazzed theory based on what may be real or maybe not....
7mm

Which sets it apart from science.

The one thing that stood out to me about the basic format of the Washington mini-series itself that I felt was a bit telling as to where the History channel stands politically is having two of the most widely and well known Democrat political figures, Clinton, and, Powell, express their insights on, George Washington, as a man and a military and later political leader, as if to subtly imply, that were Washington alive in modern times he would likely be a Democrat, too.

When I saw Clinton I also turned the sound off. Just about changed the channels but did like the series. I kind of figured since Jeff Daniels was the main narrator, it was run by liberals.
My Girlfriend and I have been watching it. I said to her right off the bat---- Why Clinton and Powell ? --- Election coming up in Nov. Democraps exposure ?------- Stop and think about it Anti- Guns---- THE ARMED CITIZEN GAVE US OUR FREEDOM.
No mention of him being a Mason
Originally Posted by tedthorn

https://crossexamined.org/george-washington-christian-freemason

interesting read. per this, he attended 4 Masonic meetings in 30 years.
maybe he was a "social" Mason?
don't know for sure
I’ve watched the first two and recorded all three. I will watch the third later tonight. A lot is left out but they’ve done a decent job with the time they have.
A couple of the historians on the show were hung up on his dentures. They were sure he had teeth taken from his slaves. Here’s “The History Guy” on that subject. Notice that the single document that they used to condemn Washington doesn’t say where the teeth came from, only that slaves had been payed for them. Animal teeth maybe, or they were possibly taken from cadavers. There’s no statement of live teeth taken from live slaves!
You’d think that the show’s editors would have pointed this out to these so called “historians”! I’m no lawyer, but it shouldn’t take one to point this out! It’s so much easier to let people jump to conclusions, rather than use logic and facts. Kinda disgusting, in MHO.
7mm
Originally Posted by hanco
A lot of people owned slaves back then. Wasn’t right, but nothing we can do now.

Put one's self in the place of a 17'th century farmer who inherited land and slaves, or purchased property with a slave population.

The most enlightened individual will be at a loss as to treatment of these humans.

Give them emancipation papers and kick them out on the road where they have no means of support, and will likely be reslaved by someone a lot less benign than you?

You get lynched if you are caught educating your slaves and preparing them for life off the plantation.

About the only viable choice is to give them secure quarters, keep them well fed, keep families intact and gainfully employed. Then if any actually choose to leave, don't be too eager in the pursuit.
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by tedthorn

https://crossexamined.org/george-washington-christian-freemason

interesting read. per this, he attended 4 Masonic meetings in 30 years.
maybe he was a "social" Mason?
don't know for sure

I missed that but just sort of had it on in the background, paying attention to select parts..
I did note how much attention they paid to the slavery segment...

The document at the link seems a bit thin, though adamant, a bit of "telling how it was"
I wonder how well documented any meetings were during the war and getting the country running. And of course how many records if kept, survived the war and 200+ years since?

We have lost much in the way of detail it always seems odd when producers seem compelled to "rip off scabs" how often does it make the Country better?

Sorry topic hopping a bit within comments already made...
War certainly was not the polished surgical operation we see today.
Exactly.
Nearly everyone who owned slaves here in the US recognized the fact that slaves were an asset, and like any other asset, they were looked after and protected. There’s a helluva big difference between slavery as practiced here in the US as opposed to sugar plantations in the West Indies. Race baiters and black activists intentionally overlook this fact. Slaves in the southern US were much off than others who were worked to death because more were on the way.
Hell, for that matter look at the coal mines and railroads run by self righteous abolitionist in the north. Being a wage slave was Much worse than being owned by someone who recognized the value you represented.
Hunkies, Pollocks, Dagos, Micks, and Chinks were brought in by the boatload and exploited by coal, steel, and railroaders long after slaves were set free and granted suffrage.
But the Dagos and the Pollocks and the Hunkies worked their asses off, and they made sure their children had a better shot through education than they had themselves. They recognized that they were still better off being exploited here in America than they were as supposedly free people in Eastern Europe or in Asia, and so they assimilated into the family.
America became a Melting Pot, and that was wonderful because we value and respect one another. Diversity is one thing, but division is something altogether different!
Something that seems to be intentionally overlooked by an awful lot of black and brown people now.
But here again, it’s racist for me to say this.
7mm
© 24hourcampfire