Home
Posted By: hanco Who’s up early on Saturday? - 02/22/20
Headed out the door, going to work, got a bunch of leaking air line regulators to change out today. How exciting. Wifey and I are having a fire tonight. What are you all up today??
Up early every day.
Still here.....
Present. Coffee's on.
Been up for an hour now
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Up early every day.

Yup
Heading out the door soon for a full day of quail hunting in south Jersey behind some really nice shorthairs, I hope it doesn't get too hot!
been up since 3.45
since 0445.
Up at 5:00 every morning, heading to local Hardee's to drink coffee with a bunch of other old farts. Afterwards bagels and coffee with the wife, gun auction @ 10:00 pretty much sums up my Saturday.
Since 5am, still on my first cup of coffee. Had to turn the heat on, only 44 degrees this morning.
Up since 2AM. A frosty morning at 29F. Brrrrrrr
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Up at 5:00 every morning, heading to local Hardee's to drink coffee with a bunch of other old farts. Afterwards bagels and coffee with the wife, gun auction @ 10:00 pretty much sums up my Saturday.

Buy something for the wife at the Gun auction grin
Going to a gun show soon.
I will go wake the per verbal rooster again.

Dam, I wake up at 0300ish every day it seems. I even stayed up until 2100 hrs too. About 6 hours asleep and I am awake.

Originally Posted by stxhunter
been up since 3.45

+1
Up at 0300 every day, make relief at work and get home a bit before 1700....
Up at 5:00 this morning. On second cup of coffee. 30 bags of pine nuggets to put out. Pick up the SxS. Other stuff around the house so I can go shooting tomorrow.
Up at 6. Slept in one hour.

Wood stove, dog out, coffee, porridge & poop. Check, check, check, check & check. All is well. smile
Dam you all are up early.
Little chilly, 19*, here this morning. Got to get the fire going in the shop. Wood splitting duty today.
Having our first real frost of the winter here in SE VA. Not much winter. Had an inch of snow yesterday, woopee!!
21 here this morning. Getting ready to go call a coyote and then wait around for the co-op to come and spread fertilizer on hay and pasture ground. Ordinarily, I do that myself, but in my "golden years" I'm finding myself getting lazy.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Who’s up early on Saturday? - 02/22/20
Packed the truck to take some recycling to the dump then off to the airport to move the new engine that arrived yesterday from Lycoming for the Archer from the FBO hangar to our hangar. Then taking the plane out for a short flight to get a couple instrument approaches in to stay current on it's old engine.

Next weekend starts the old engine removal and new install as well as the annual inspection. With willing hands it won't take too long. Couple of weekends.
4 here with snow on the way tonight.
Posted By: 40O Re: Who’s up early on Saturday? - 02/22/20
A chilly 61 degrees in friged Phoenix Arizona at 4:30. Four kids. If I want to get anything done for myself I need to start early.
Up at 6 which is unusually late for me, to 26 degrees and crisp. Fed dogs, set the fire, put on a cup of coffee, and set down to plan the day.
No alarm today. Slept in until 6a. Normally alarm goes off at 4a. Shaman's thermometer says 21*F.
up at 0430 this morning. have my son and family visiting the farm this weekend and grandson wanted to coyote hunt this morning. told them to be up at 0530 and we'd leave around 0600. son just told me grandson wanted to sleep in. so, they went back to bed. no problem. we'll shoot some guns around noon and go coyote calling around 3pm. always love it when kids and grandkids come here. today will be another great family day. we are blessed....
Yes, sounds like a true blessing. I get to see my son about 2X per month, still miss him when he is gone to his own home.
Just waiting on the sun. Gonna be cold on the water.
Been up for a couple of hours. Enjoyed my coffee and decided to get my chores done and go to a gun show.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Just waiting on the sun. Gonna be cold on the water.

goin' after croaker? or hardheads?

smile

just pullin' your chain, Pat
Be safe out there today. dodge client's treble hooks!
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Dam you all are up early.

I hate that! When I was first married we could sleep 12 hours on Saturday and Sunday. Then we had kids. That was the end of sleeping late.
Morning gents. Usually up between 5 and 6. Going to granddaughters hockey game this afternoon. Going to barbecue steak here for supper. Sunrise 758 CST. Really warm today 40 degrees Fahrenheit they say. 15 degrees Fahrenheit now.
Up at 5, headed to the city today to buy JM Marlin 336 , pre safety, nice gun at great price, can't wait Robert
Yep, up at 4:30 every morning 7 days a week
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

been up since 3.45

+1

Me too.

Dammit.

Gonna be a nap day...
Originally Posted by saskfox
Morning gents. Usually up between 5 and 6. Going to granddaughters hockey game this afternoon. Going to barbecue steak here for supper. Sunrise 758 CST. Really warm today 40 degrees Fahrenheit they say. 15 degrees Fahrenheit now.

Same here.

23F right now and rumored to hit 50F this afternoon, too warm as it was -20F a few days ago!

Same old chit today, feed cows(4-5 hours) and sometime today the hay chopper is supposed to show up. We are gonna chop about 70 ton for the replacement heifers, if he brings the big chopper that'll take a couple hours.

There's a lunker tri-tip roast and some beer in the fridge for later this afternoon!
Up at 5 today. Up at 4 on workdays, so I slept in an hour. Today, we be burnin' the slash piles around the place. Tomorrow, on the other hand, I have a pork shoulder I'm going to smoke! Like Sam, plenty of beer in the fridge for after the real work and during cooking duties! grin
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

been up since 3.45

+1

Me too.

Dammit.

Gonna be a nap day...

I try to make every weekend a nap day. Not always successful. Boys got baseball practice this afternoon, so need to get the hard stuff done early to create a 30-45 minute nap window...
I sleep 9 to 5 most nights. Did last night, too. Perused the innanet with my first cuppa, then newspaper and a light breakfast (bagel with cream cheese and some grapefruit slices today) before coming back to the 'Fire to type this. It's 29 and calm again this morning, with all-day sun forecast. Might hit 46 or so by late afternoon. Thinking I might get some golf in starting in a week or so. No fishing until April, probably. Getting pretty anxious for both.
I made it till 6:45, and thrilled.
"Early to bed, early to rise, make's a man healthy, wealthy, and wonder what his family looks like."
Slept in a little this am, 5:45 or so. Supposed to be my Saturday off, but I'm gonna work 35 calves mid morning for old friend that I don't get to see very often.

So we'll work a little while and visit a while and that will be my morning.

Per normal I have a heck of list of stuff I should do, but don't really want to...

Gonna try to get around in time for date night with the Mrs.- "1917" is at our local theatre tonight.
Good morning Doctor Dan!
I zonked out around midnight but had to get up at 4:40 to take my wife to work by 5. Then came home and got on here before I took my step daughter to work at 7. Now back home and playing around on here. I'll try to go back to sleep for a couple more hours.
Time to make coffee and get going. It's supposed to be 45 degrees today. Woohoo.

kwg
Good morning Richard!

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!
Posted By: EdM Re: Who’s up early on Saturday? - 02/22/20
We were up at 5:30. I am sipping coffee now watching Garage Squad then heading to Kerrville for a gun show. Likely Thai for lunch and a stop in Luckenbach for a beer and music to complete the loop. I am going to make a cabbage roll casserole for dinner as the garden is loaded.
Ran out the door about six with the dog to do some rough terrain hiking in a park on the far north side. Was well back in the woods by first light, an absolutely freaking beautiful morning.

Over the years development has grown up close to that park and yet the trails back in the woods remain about as uncrowded crowded as they were 30 years ago, this was always a puzzle to me but I was happy to see it.

But then after it was daylight this morning I came across a young woman hiking alone in the park and every hundred feet or so she’s calling out “Mountain lion! Mountain lion! Tirns out there’s a sign down by the parking lot which I had never paid much attention to warning people about mountain lions, coyotes, feral hogs and snakes and saying they should not hike alone grin Hey whatever works, works 🙂

Going to spend my customary afternoon at the Alamo today, then I’m gonna do that same hike with the dog after dark, because tomorrow morning I’m going to switch teams and march into the Alamo in the Mexican army commemorating the start of that siege.

Hoping to score some Mexican chicas this time 😎 That ain’t actually happened yet but hey, ya never know......
"... I came across a young woman hiking alone in the park and every hundred feet or so she’s calling out “Mountain lion! Mountain lion! ..."

you should have fired a couple of rounds in the ground, and then told her " I GOT HIM,,, I GOT HIM!"
Originally Posted by kid0917
"... I came across a young woman hiking alone in the park and every hundred feet or so she’s calling out “Mountain lion! Mountain lion! ..."

you should have fired a couple of rounds in the ground, and then told her " I GOT HIM,,, I GOT HIM!"

That would be funny!!
Before I actually seen her I thought about making loud mountain lion sounds, not that I would fool anyone who knows 🙄 But she was nervous enough just running into some bearded old guy and his dog (off of the leash! 😬) back there I was glad I didn’t. I could see bringing up the topic of a carry gun was out of the question and besides, I never let on to folks that I’m armed, especially when I’m armed. So I told her if she was that worried she could get a 9oz can of bear spray for fifty bucks at Bass Pro, which ain’t a bad thing for a woman to have handy anyhow.

Gotta be tough to be a young and attractive woman, and I’ll give her props for pushing her envelope. I did tell her that her fears re:wildlife were way overblown, what I didn’t mention was that the short time she spent in me and my dog’s company was prob’ly the safest she would be all day, heck, maybe all year.
I am somewhat surprised at the frequency with which we encounter solo females in remote areas I salute their independence but question their preparedness. When we were in Jackson in November we twice encountered female Mountain runners far from the trailhead. Both carried bearspray but both were wearing earbuds. We saw bear and wolf sign daily and were armed and very attentive.

Back to the topic, we had a late night and I awakened at 0700 to rain falling on the roof, immediately went back to sleep for 2 more hours. mmmmmm

mike r
Made a day at work, going home, fire up bbq pit, start a fire, listen to wifey talk about her work, drink some Jack and water. Hope to sleep a little later tomorrow morning!
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I am somewhat surprised at the frequency with which we encounter solo females in remote areas I salute their independence but question their preparedness. When we were in Jackson in November we twice encountered female Mountain runners far from the trailhead. Both carried bearspray but both were wearing earbuds. We saw bear and wolf sign daily and were armed and very attentive.

mike r

I dunno if this obliviousness to possible threats has always been a female trait, but it sure seems to be today. I was in a teacher meeting last week when the topic of the coronavirus and it’s latest occurrences and stats came on the big screen.

Immediately the attention of every guy in the room was focused on the big screen because this thing could hit big.

Meanwhile almost every woman in the room was just chattering on about trivial things without a care in the world.
OTOH when women are finally aware of a threat, they seem to go off the deep end, total paranoia.

JMHO
Dang, ended up spending eleven hours at the Alamo yesterday . Yesterday was the anniversary of Day One of the siege and they have an evening event called “An Evening With Heroes”, a series of vignettes where guided groups go from scene to scene. Got out at ten pm.

As it’s getting dark it starts to get cold so I walk out to my car to make some wardrobe changes, Getting ready for reenacting is about like getting ready for the prom; there’s so many little Nineteenth Century odds and ends ya gotta be wearing or have about your person. It’s just simpler to bring everything all the time, so the trunk of that one car is always full of reenacting stuff 24/7.

Right across the street in back of the Alamo lies the Bonham Exchange, one of the most notorious Gay Clubs in Texas, this was Saturday evening. So I’m out there in the parking lot picking what I’m gonna put on, and I look across the street and a crowd of drag queens are doing the same thing grin
Present. Coffee is on. Got to shoot my little Colt Govt.380 yesterday.
Posted By: efw Re: Who’s up early on Saturday? - 02/23/20
Wifey headed to Vegas on an early flight this morning for business convention and I have the week off to hang w/ kids as Mr Mom.

Gonna miss her can’t believe the life I’ve been granted here to be able to drop everything and hang w/ these little image-bearers.

At grocery store getting them each their favorite breakfast item before we head to worship the God in whom we live and move and have our being.

Awesome music for a Sunday morning... or any morning really:

Sunday morning and up at 5:15am. First thing I checked was the deals on Camofire. I saw a Mystery Ranch Metcalf in the listings at a really good price. I went and made a pot of coffee, and when I get back to Camofire, the MR Metcalf is no where to be found, doesn't even show up as "sold out". Anybody else see it, or was I dreaming? crazy
Awake at 4:30 this morning, every weekend I splurg on you largeMcDonald’s coffee for four dollars and change. Saturday and Sunday mornings I drink one each at my leisure cut halfway with whole organic milk (prob’ly actually from Jersey cows) so one large coffee each mornings becomes two.

After browsing the net while indulging in this extravagance I’m fixing to run out the door with the dog to be in the woods before first light, get back, dress out Mexican Soldado, go surround the Alamo with my buddies, cut out early, go home and switch into regular clothes and then pick up the kid (grandchild) to go hit the playground circuit hard until her daddy gets off work.

Life in the fast lane 🙂
501am here and snow.
Up at 3:45 here. It is great to be able to live and breathe.
5:21 been awake for an hour or so.. Heading home from Texas.. Often get awake this early, but any more seldom get moving til later...
Have a safe day, man. good weather your way?
© 24hourcampfire