Home
Idaho's working on a bill to end daylight time. Next door, Utah is working on a bill to make daylight time permanent. Idaho is split between Mountain and Pacific time. There's a bill to put North ID on permanant daylight time if OR and WA do so. I agree with one or the other but not both. We could end up with a patchwork mess of time bills. It's time for congress to do something to end it, one way or the other.
I honestly don't care, and don't understand why anyone else would.
Someone will say "it's for the children"
And that end's that.
It will never be changed on a national level, and very few if any more states
Yup, Utah just voted on it and it cleared both Houses. But as usual they did it bass ackwards. Instead of getting rid of daylight savings, and making almost all of the Mountain Time zone the same (matching Arizona and soon Idaho) they opted to keep DST. If it's ever approved (would require US Congress approval) it would mean our time would change north to south as well as east to west. The dumb bastids made everything even more confusing!
I really don't mind things as they are, but from the perspective of an IT professional, any change is going to suck. I could handle year-round EST here in Cincinnati. Year round EDT would be somewhat problematic in the winter months, but workable. On the Eastern Seaboard, I can't imagine the hell it would play.

The big problem is the modifications to computer operating systems to make the change work.
I’d be ok to do away with it. I hate time changes!
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Idaho's working on a bill to end daylight time. Next door, Utah is working on a bill to make daylight time permanent. Idaho is split between Mountain and Pacific time. There's a bill to put North ID on permanant daylight time if OR and WA do so. I agree with one or the other but not both. We could end up with a patchwork mess of time bills. It's time for congress to do something to end it, one way or the other.
I couldn't possibly agree more... Get RID of that damned time change once and for all!!!!
I love daylight savings time... just a little something extra to look forward to in the spring!
move 'em forward 1/2 hour and split the difference. everybody's covered
Y’all need some negroes to take your mind off of such mundaneness.
Louisiana has a bill coming up that will keep DST year round, if US laws are changed to make it legal. I dont care which they choose, just stop the changing back-n-forth.
Florida folks voted to keep DST a couple years ago.
The congresscritters have not acted on it yet
Florida does have two time zones tho--
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
move 'em forward 1/2 hour and split the difference. everybody's covered

Agreed. New York and LA are always going to be 3 hrs. apart. Set the clocks 1/2 hr between DST and ST, then leave the clocks alone.
If you want the US house to vote for a bill to end DST, just get Trump to say he doesn't like it.
As I understand it, states can opt out of DST on their own, but federal law prevents year around DST.
Whatever laws a state passes, it still has to be approved by congress. If year round DST is illegal, it would be up to congress to figure it out.

To me Daylight Saving time is less confusing and hassle than dealing with time zone boundaries in states that observe different zone times from county to county and equally so when a county/state don't observe DLST while the rest within the same time zones do.

Indiana for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Indiana

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Time in Indiana: Counties grouped by tz database zones. Lake Michigan shown in blue at top left.
Standard DST US time zone
Red and pink UTC−06:00 UTC−05:00 Central Time
Other colors UTC−05:00 UTC−04:00 Eastern Time
Idaho is also split but they ran the boundary through a very low populated mountain area.

[Linked Image from timetemperature.com]
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Yup, Utah just voted on it and it cleared both Houses. But as usual they did it bass ackwards. Instead of getting rid of daylight savings, and making almost all of the Mountain Time zone the same (matching Arizona and soon Idaho) they opted to keep DST. If it's ever approved (would require US Congress approval) it would mean our time would change north to south as well as east to west. The dumb bastids made everything even more confusing!

And now you guys in SLC will not see the sun rise until almost 10:00 AM in Dec. Yes, they went the wrong way with it.
House defeats bill to put South Dakota on permanent daylight saving time

To end the kerfuffle once and for all I propose the country uniformly adopt Universal Coordinated Time (UTC) My sunrise tomorrow 0110 UTC, set 1211 UTC. crazy
DST is a stupid idea that should never have come into existence.
Originally Posted by Brazos
As I understand it, states can opt out of DST on their own, but federal law prevents year around DST.

Correct.
Loves me some DST. DST year round for the win!

Yes, I like to have daylight in the evening to work around the house and for the kids to play sports.
Originally Posted by jfruser

Yes, I like to have daylight in the evening to work around the house and for the kids to play sports.

The Uniform Time Act permits states to choose whether they want to observe daylight saving time or remain on standard time permanently all year without any legislative approval from the federal congress. However, the act does not permit states the option to remain on daylight saving time permanently all year.
Originally Posted by jfruser

THIS is why we should make it year-round and not change back in the fall.

Most of those who don't like the DST change are old farts who would grump about every minor inconvenience. They could care less about younger families having more afternoon and evening recreation time.

I'm all for anything that might get kids outside more.
If people want more time in the afternoon they should get up earlier to get a start on things. Some common sense instead of fooling themselves into getting "more" daylight. I always thought it would make more sense for schools and businesses to change their start times if they absolutely had to. Be a grown ass adult and change your schedule, save the foolery for kids and santa claus, the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny.
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Louisiana has a bill coming up that will keep DST year round, if US laws are changed to make it legal. I dont care which they choose, just stop the changing back-n-forth.

+1
Originally Posted by HawkCreek
If people want more time in the afternoon they should get up earlier to get a start on things. Some common sense instead of fooling themselves into getting "more" daylight. I always thought it would make more sense for schools and businesses to change their start times if they absolutely had to. Be a grown ass adult and change your schedule, save the foolery for kids and santa claus, the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny.

No job I assume......
Idaho is also split but they ran the boundary through a very low populated mountain area.

Idaho or at the least western ID should be Pacific time. Boise is only about 50 miles east of LA.
Just make me King, Imperial Wizard, Grand Vizier, HRH Geno, and Overlord of All

I'll put it the way I want it.

The rest of you all will just have to live with it then.

Too Many noggins in Congress to get anything done, we need a one brain system.......................MINE!

Geno
Originally Posted by slumlord
Y’all need some negroes to take your mind off of such mundaneness.

We have a few.

But no Popeye's so they don't have chiggum sammiches to fight over.

Geno

Retired boomer??
Originally Posted by callnum

Retired boomer??

Originally Posted by Raeford

No job I assume......

I'm 37 and own my own (small) construction company. Hopefully someday I'll get back to ranching.
I'd prefer they would just set it up so we have the most day light time in the summer and never change it in the winter.
I'm an owner as well, most days I need to be there until 5-5:30......being fairly far east in the time zone[EST] it's dark when I leave on the shortest days of the year. I hate it.
Originally Posted by Raeford
I'm an owner as well, most days I need to be there until 5-5:30......being fairly far east in the time zone[EST] it's dark when I leave on the shortest days of the year. I hate it.

I get what you are saying. I hate getting up in the dark unless there is big game to be hunted and even then it can be a struggle. But no matter what the clock says... it's still the same time of day. It doesnt help me one bit if the clock days the sun comes up at 5AM or 5PM, I still have the same amount of things to do while the sun is up.

Depending on where one lives, getting up earlier in the AM won't help much..........any earlier in the winter where I live and it'll be full dark when I feed the chickens. It's already just breaking dawn in the dead of winter, and the chickens are still in bed.

The only time I enjoy being up and at 'em at the break of dawn is when I'm fishing or hunting.

Give me afternoon/evening light please.

Geno
I hated when I was trying to work my 8-4 ‘worky-job’ and still trying to run my construction biz in the afternoon. The winter it gets dark at 4:45 around the solstice.

But in the summer months, whoa!!! I could leave the Deathstar at 4 and roof houses till almost 9pm

Always have ignorant old stereotype boomer lady “why in tarnations you wanna wait till hottest part of the day to do carpentry work...?? And why on earth don’t you leave at 5, I go to bed soon”
STFU and go back inside, take your hearing aids out and take your 9000 mg of prozac and [bleep] or whatever you tards are overly medicated on and watch wheel of fortune and drown out my circular saw.

Haha.
End it permanently! I hated it from the very beginning in Texas. It put all the drive-in movies out of business for one thing and when my kids were in elementary school they had to wait in the dark for the school bus in the mornings. When I worked in the construction business we just went to work earlier in hot weather.
Originally Posted by 700LH

Idaho or at the least western ID should be Pacific time. Boise is only about 50 miles east of LA.
I agree but I'm glad it's not. I like the long evenings. Boise isn't that far east of Moscow. We used to get out of class in Moscow at 4pm and walk home in the dark.
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Florida folks voted to keep DST a couple years ago.
The congresscritters have not acted on it yet
Florida does have two time zones tho--

Arkansas is the same!

They have things called J O B S ...

Grump...

grin
It's pretty interesting how many here who complain about government intrusion look to it to manipulate time. For cryin' out loud, if you want to get up earlier, just set your alarm and deal with the dark. If you need to work later, buy some floodlights. This ain't the dark ages. DST if one of the dumbest ideas ever forced on us.

When told the reason for Daylight Saving time, the old Indian said: “Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a longer blanket. (Author Unknown)
Most of us can live with it one way or the other. It's the changeover that's the problem.
Most of us can live with it one way or the other. It's the changeover that's the problem.

Absolutely. But having one state observing it and another not is stupid. Time is time. Can't change the rotation of the Earth, but we can change how we make our own schedule. We should calculate all time from the zero meridian in orderly zones and call it good.
Under the Uniform Time Act, a state can choose to not observe daylight saving time. If it does observe it, it must use the federally enacted dates. It can't stay on daylight as it's required to switch on those dates.
Rock Chuck: Like in the opening scene of the incredibly profitable 1969 movie "Easy Rider" where Captain America (Wyatt) played by Peter Fonda when he "retires" from society and takes his gold watch off and throws it away before roaring off on his chopper to Mardi Gras - I about did the same thing when I retired 23 years ago!
I haven't worn a watch in decades now - I don't care what time it is in Idaho or in Timbuktu.
I go to sleep when I want and I get up when I want and Hunt when I want and chase guns when I want.
Half the week (if not more!) I don't even know (nor do I care!) what day of the week it is.
I do agree that Idaho's "split in half time zone" thing does confuse a lot of folks.
The fella next to me at the post Falls, Idaho gunshow last weekend was living in Oregon (maybe it was Montana?) at the time and had traveled to Idaho to attend a funeral and timed his arrival to be 40 minutes early instead he mixed up the time zones and was 20 minutes late.
Yeah it would be simpler if the clocks for you working people stayed the same and or were synchronized.
Good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I'm retired and not tied to a clock but everyone else is and we have to live with them.
Rock Chuck: 3 minute trailer to a scene from "Easy Rider".

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1cDECkN2xg

We do probably have to live amongst them but living with them is optional.
I know - I done it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
OK guys, I've read your stuff, I like HawkCreek's best....Adjust your local individual schedule for your job or school...call it Zulu time or UTC to make the African's happy...and Valsdad order it done, like immediately. Computers will probably be happier too.
My entire career, work time was adjusted either according to the weather or according to the demands of service. Never was I ever on some arbitrary schedule effected or not by DST. Now it's even more irrelevant to me. I still think it's one of the dumbest ideas ever.
© 24hourcampfire