Home
I got an automated phone message that my daughters school has a half day tomorrow and will be closed for a week for cleaning and disinfecting.(subject to further closing. Kids will do class work from home.)
This is in Westchester County N.Y. Anyone else getting shutdowns and cleanings? Things are getting wild here,sports teams shutting down,gatherings of more than 500 canceled.people are starting to panic.
I saw a friend tonight that is an IT guy for the local school system.... school is discussing going to online learning only.... he said that they can just put a dumpster up and tell the kids to throw all the school provided Chrome books into it when ever they do come back. He figure half would be broken and he isn't going to handle them all to sort them out....
Posted By: Calvin Re: Corona Virus chool closings - 03/13/20
To slow things down, they need to close the schools.
DoD has issued a stop movement for all troops. Rough times, ahead.
Posted By: Mull Re: Corona Virus chool closings - 03/13/20
My Sons Schools Here In Ga. It Out All Next Week And Will Update, After As Needed. Heard Schools In TN. Are Closed Till April 3.. Wife's a E.R. Nurse And Said It May Get Ruff..
Schools were closed this week for spring break here in Anchorage. The district extended it for another week at a minimum. I’m guessing a month before they take another shot at it in all reality.
Posted By: BamBam Re: Corona Virus chool closings - 03/13/20
Originally Posted by superlight17b
I got an automated phone message that my daughters school has a half day tomorrow and will be closed for a week for cleaning and disinfecting.(subject to further closing. Kids will do class work from home.)
This is in Westchester County N.Y. Anyone else getting shutdowns and cleanings? Things are getting wild here,sports teams shutting down,gatherings of more than 500 canceled.people are starting to panic.

I live in PA and work in New York, Manhattan, I was told buy a doctor friend last night that New York City, Manhattan will be shutting down within a week if not sooner. I just read that mayor Deblasio has now declared New York City a state of emergency. I’ve just made the decision I will not be going to work. The last few days They were very few people commuting on the highways and far less on subways. Traffic flow in Manhattan yesterday was less than what’s on a Saturday Sunday kind of blew my mind.
Hospitals are getting really full. My wife is a doc that admits patients to our rural hospital. She is sleeping on a camping mattress in her office tonight because she is still trying to find a bed for a man that needs to be transferred to a hospital that offers neurological evaluations.....

It's a really nice camping mattress but this situation is not good. Wash your hands... now is not a good time to need advanced medical care.
The schools here are shutting down for anywhere from 2-4 weeks. In addition all spring sports have been cancelled. I feel sorry for the kids that were looking forward to playing, especially the seniors. My granddaughter has been working her butt off on softball practice, and was the team's number one pitcher. She's a junior, so will get another chance, but one of the senior girls on the team was hoping for a softball scholarship and now that may be in doubt.

Of course, as I told my granddaughter, this is something that is way bigger than school and sports, and she will get another chance to play. My concern is what is going to happen if the virus is still spreading when they are scheduled to return to school, and if that's the case, I believe it's possible that schools might not reopen this school year.
Posted By: hanco Re: Corona Virus chool closings - 03/13/20
They shut ours down too.
Originally Posted by Calvin
To slow things down, they need to close the schools.

This.
Where are all the children going now that the schools will close?

Was listening to Lars Larsen yesterday eve. Large number of nurses have school age children. Nurses stay home from work to care for kids?

Send the children to me-maws, that’s even more vulnerable to the virus?
Little League International sent out a statement, no activities of any kind until April 6. Our opening day would have been tomorrow.

But so is youth turkey season....so we'll be in the woods!
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Corona Virus chool closings - 03/13/20
Yesterday and today were scheduled teacher work days with the kids out anyway. But on Wednesday a teacher at one of the elementary schools was diagnosed with coronavirus. They initially cancelled the teacher work days and planned to resume the normal schedule Monday. But announced yesterday that schools would be closed all of next week. I'm guessing they are taking a wait and see approach right now.
Most schools in the Indy area will be closed for 4 weeks starting Monday.
Posted By: roof Re: Corona Virus chool closings - 03/13/20
Maryland just closed schools for the next two weeks.
My son in Seattle says schools there are closed until April 24. This is going to be a real hardship on working families.
One of those, cases where they can't do it right no matter what they do.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Corona Virus chool closings - 03/13/20
Lots of closures here both public and private. Most colleges are going to online classes after spring break.
Our local college is going online but there hasn't been a single case of the virus in Idaho yet. The St Pat's day parade has been cancelled and some churches are cancelling services. This is nuts. Not a single case and panic is setting in.
Posted By: efw Re: Corona Virus chool closings - 03/13/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
One of those, cases where they can't do it right no matter what they do.

Yep that’s what I told my family last night.

Pray for wisdom for our officials and good providence for our nation and the world.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Corona Virus chool closings - 03/13/20
All grades k-12 are closed in MI as are most colleges face to face classes. My middle son was supposed to play in the state hockey playoffs next weekend but those have been canceled too.
The spread is not going to be stopped. Is the idea to slow it down so we can enjoy it longer? Maybe the idea is to buy time so as not to overwhelm the medical providers? Almost looks like it would be best to let it rip and get it over with unless there's a real possibility of developing a vaccine. I believe I'll enjoy the cheap gas and low attendance and make a trip to Gettysburg and Arlington cemetery. Been wanting to go.
Posted By: EdM Re: Corona Virus chool closings - 03/13/20
My son, in his last semester at Texas A&M, first received an email extending spring break through next Wednesday. A day later he received an email extending spring break to the 20th and online classes March 23 – April 28. I suspect they will cancel the graduation ceremony.
Posted By: JPro Re: Corona Virus chool closings - 03/13/20
Originally Posted by Hastings
The spread is not going to be stopped. Is the idea to slow it down so we can enjoy it longer? Maybe the idea is to buy time so as not to overwhelm the medical providers? Almost looks like it would be best to let it rip and get it over with unless there's a real possibility of developing a vaccine. I believe I'll enjoy the cheap gas and low attendance and make a trip to Gettysburg and Arlington cemetery. Been wanting to go.

From what I have been hearing, the goal is to keep the spread as low as possible to allow the healthcare system to keep up. A certain percentage of the infected will need hospitalization and the existing facilities can easily be pushed to capacity.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Corona Virus chool closings - 03/13/20
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by Hastings

From what I have been hearing, the goal is to keep the spread as low as possible to allow the healthcare system to keep up. A certain percentage of the infected will need hospitalization and the existing facilities can easily be pushed to capacity.

Yes. To avoid an Italy situation. Folks in Italy can’t even get rid of their deceased loved ones.
Schools are closing around me in NH presently. Starting to. Deep cleanings and so forth. Seem to be precautionary closings rather than due to known contamination’s. Daycare is the big concern for me. If that closes I’m SOL.
Originally Posted by Calvin

Yes. To avoid an Italy situation. Folks in Italy can’t even get rid of their deceased loved ones.

MI schools are all shut down until April 5th now
They have closed University of Alabama, Auburn and several local colleges for 2 to 3 weeks. AND THERE ARE NO REPORTED CASES IN THE STATE!
Schools not closed, but all sporting event are even though we don't have a case yet in the state. Maybe they are worried about someone bringing it in from out of state.
© 24hourcampfire