Home
Posted By: Kyhilljack Food of last resort - 03/21/20
We're talking end of world and civilization as we know it. No game animals or edible plants left. We're talking turning to the loved ones and proclaiming, "This is all that's left."
Of the food you have in your home right now , what would be the last thing you would eat. For me the pulled chicken with buffalo style sauce MRE would signal the end is near.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
My legacy box of frozen Twinkies and my World’s Fair 1982 knoxville bottle of Coke

And some turnip greens that have a paint brush with dried polyurethane stuck to it, ehhh
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Big bags of dog food can be had from Tractor Supply. I've eaten a couple of pieces of kibble just to see what it was like.

It's fairly tasteless, actually. But it's not repulsive.

If it ever comes down to it, I'll eat a bowl of "For Health Salmon and Potato".

,....no big deal.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
It's a little gritty but not as bad as milk bones
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Not 100% sure but boneless skinless chicken breast would be near the last thing I would eat.

Old lady burned me out on it a while back.

Not too sure WTF that was all about.
Posted By: catosilvaje Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
The man that owns Munester milling in Munester tx ate his dog food for a month. Said it tasted like dog food but he lived.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
canned salmon
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
friends and family.

mike r
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Most americans could do a water and salt only fast for 250 days and come out better.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Big bags of dog food can be had from Tractor Supply. I've eaten a couple of pieces of kibble just to see what it was like.

If it even comes down to it, I'll eat a bowl of "For Health Salmon and Potato".

,....no big deal.

Alpo and Dinty Moore beef stew are the same thing.
Posted By: hosfly Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
a box of of grits i wont let the little woman cook and a 4 pack of billybeer i still have,,seen a possum last night that better be haulin ass or itll be helpin make them grits palatable
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack
We're talking end of world and civilization as we know it. No game animals or edible plants left. We're talking turning to the loved ones and proclaiming, "This is all that's left."
Of the food you have in your home right now , what would be the last thing you would eat. For me the pulled chicken with buffalo style sauce MRE would signal the end is near.

A case of canned deviled ham I bought about ten years ago. It's likely fine. After all, people eat much older C-Rations and such. Actually, even further down the line are several boxes of freeze dried survival food I have. I tried it once, and it's not very tasty.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Miracle Whip.
Originally Posted by hosfly
a box of of grits i wont let the little woman cook and a 4 pack of billybeer i still have,,seen a possum last night that better be haulin ass or itll be helpin make them grits palatable

A big bowl of grits with butter and salt sounds good to me right now.
I'll eat dog kibble before I eat a nasty ass possum, however.
I researched canned catfood one time. It contained too many “purines”

Would be a bullet train trip to Goutville

I guess old ladies are tough
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Brussel sprouts.
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
My wife buys these Indian food TV dinner things. I might be able to bring myself to eat one after I’d already ran through the neighborhood dogs and cats, but it’s some nasty stuff
Originally Posted by Heym06
Brussel sprouts.

Brussel Sprouts are super high in vitamin C.

Good immunity food.

Learn to like them.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Spam
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Spaghetti and lasagna, pizza. Anything with cooked tomatoes. Yuck and makes me have a gut ache.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
I’d eat the dog before dog food.

Same with the cats.

Starting with the neighbors might be more prudent.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Not 100% sure but boneless skinless chicken breast would be near the last thing I would eat.

Im with you right there.
Posted By: dodgefan Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Canned Peas, I've hated peas since I was a little kid.
Posted By: Kyhilljack Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20

Mine knows 1000 different ways to prepare them. Sometimes I have to remind her we have deer and elk in the freezer.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Tripe !!!!

Mine knows 1000 different ways to prepare them. Sometimes I have to remind her we have deer and elk in the freezer.

Hey guy,.....the 1992 Kentucky-Duke basketball game is on TV,...CBS on the local channels.

Check it out.

Hey guy,.....the 1992 Kentucky-Duke basketball game is on TV,...CBS on the local channels.

Check it out.

Just saw that and turned it off. I'm a UL fan, so I'll turn it back on in an hour.
UL fan?

But,.......but,.....your posts sound so Caucasian.
UL fan?

But,.......but,.....your posts sound so Caucasian.

Yeah back in Louisville I always told the Big Blew fans that their black guys were better than ours.
University of Louisville's biggest fan:

Posted By: hitandmiss Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Pop tarts.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

We should start a new thread for this. Remember I was going to UK in 1981, went to the new basketball complex and low and behold there was Dwayne Casey shooting around by himself. Played and talked to him. Little did I know why he was there by himself and what he was contemplating. Kinda like I always wondered how Dirk Minnifield could drive around campus in a new Deuce and a quarter.

Check it out.

Get your Big Blew crying towel out Laetner is about to rip your phkng heart out again.
Originally Posted by hitandmiss
Pop tarts.

Frosted ones could prolong ya for months.

We should start a new thread for this. Remember I was going to UK in 1981, went to the new basketball complex and low and behold there was Dwayne Casey shooting around by himself. Played and talked to him. Little did I know why he was there by himself and what he was contemplating. Kinda like I always wondered how Dirk Minnifield could drive around campus in a new Deuce and a quarter.

C'mon, now.

Dirk knocked up two girls before he was out of high school. He *needeed* that vehicle to haul around all of his mama's babies.

Besides,...he could dunk like a muhfuggah!

Look at this one after he takes a pass from Big Mel.

Posted By: persiandog Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
I'd have to get awfully hungry before the 2-gallon pails of chitlin's I see in the freezer section at Wally World would tempt me to buy one.
Jerry
Posted By: bowfisher Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
I'm getting ahead of the game. Almost have enough in 3 days for a good sized pizza.

Posted By: rem141r Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
my children. theys big and tough. i been growing them for over 20 years.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Peanut Butter! - I can put it on anything dead or alive and it's edible.
My man LA climbing Mt. Everest.
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I'd have to get awfully hungry before the 2-gallon pails of chitlin's I see in the freezer section at Wally World would tempt me to buy one.
Jerry

Yeah that and lamb fries are on my food to try bucket list.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
I imagine there is enough raccoons in S.E. Wisconsin to keep me fed for a long time. I would hate to go that low, however, some on Facebook that frequent " The Trap Line" eat them and say they are good. Beaver and muskrat are know to be good eating. It might come to that, cause I cant find a rabbit anymore.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by calikooknic
I’d eat the dog before dog food. Same with the cats.Starting with the neighbors might be more prudent.
We would probably eat a lot of things we don't like before we would just lie down and die of starvation. I visited the Donner party memorial in California last September. After they ate their horses and oxen they ate the dogs. Then they started boiling hide and bark to make some sort of glue to eat. It was the worst winter in 100 years so the dead people didn't spoil. Seems they ate them too. I bet they would have loved to have some Purina Dog Chow or even Rabbit Chow. When my son was a baby and started walking we had to watch the dog food because he loved it. I hate the sight of peanut butter but I bet I could learn to love it.
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Jerry

Yeah that and lamb fries are on my food to try bucket list.

Lamb fries are actually very good.

I dared my wife to try an appetizer of them shortly after we got married and she moved here.

I had never tried them. We were at Columbia's restaurant in Lexington. They arrived,...breaded, fried and in gravy.

She looked like she was enjoying them so I had to have some.

,...excellent food. Give them a try at Columbia's steak house when you're in Lexington someday.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Close would be that beet soup, borsch.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20

If it ever comes down to it, I'll eat a bowl of "For Health Salmon and Potato".

,....no big deal.

Now i understand why you have such a loud bark............
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
I'll put a 44mag in my head before I'll eat Brussel sprouts!
Posted By: FyrepowrX Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Pretty sure canned spinach is harvested from the Green Giant's taint.

That's why Popeye was such a bad-ass, anyone tough enough to eat that chitt is a bad mo-fo.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by Heym06
Brussel sprouts.

Brussel Sprouts are super high in vitamin C.

Good immunity food.

Learn to like them.

Nope they make me sick. I've tried many times in many ways. I'll eat the rose hips for the vitamin c!
If we had consumed the last deer in the state and all that was left was the liver I would gladly give up my portion so that the others might survive.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Brussel sprouts w salt n butter I like.
Some have more flavor than others, get "grassy".
Mild ones are delish.
Posted By: hanco Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Deer sausage
Posted By: hookeye Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
I don't like beets.
Would rather starve.

Sauerkraut smell kills me. But a little on a dog or sausage is quite good. A little bit.
Posted By: duck911 Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
Pudding. I'd eat human flesh before pudding. Just THINKING about it is making me gag.
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

That's why Popeye was such a bad-ass, anyone tough enough to eat that chitt is a bad mo-fo.

I think you're right, they must harvest that from his robe around the groin region.
[Linked Image from clypd.com]
Posted By: KFWA Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
I've had two potted meat sandwiches with mustard since Thursday so I'm starting early
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

You have to prepare it right. Completely drain it, and squeeze out excess water. In the pot with about a quarter stick of butter. Once the butter is melted, stir in thoroughly and salt to taste. Turn off heat . Pour in two tablespoons of heavy cream, and stir in. Serve.
Originally Posted by KFWA
I've had two potted meat sandwiches with mustard since Thursday so I'm starting early

Geezus. Wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley or stand behind you at the checkout either.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20
rats,crows,coyotes,skunks and buzzards the worst of the worst.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Food of last resort - 03/21/20

Geezus. Wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley or stand behind you at the checkout either.

wife likes it too
Posted By: doubletap Re: Food of last resort - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by bowfisher
I'm getting ahead of the game. Almost have enough in 3 days for a good sized pizza.

Made me think of the movie "King Rat".
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Food of last resort - 03/22/20
Lima beans.

I live next to the ocean in Deadliest Catch land. I'm not starving. The Aleuts survived in this fahqin' blowhole and I think we'll pull it off again.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Food of last resort - 03/22/20

When I was a kid, Mom was absolutely forbidden from bringing Spam into the house. Dad had ate so much of it in Europe during the war, he never wanted to see a can of it again as long as he lived.
These goofy Scandanuvians up here in Minnysoda eat this crap called lutefisk, which is some white fish fillets soaked in lye. 'Tried it once, just to say I had. Now wonder these folks are so skinny. BLECHHHH! The dog won't even eat this crap!
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Food of last resort - 03/22/20
Never eaten sardines............believe I'd eat canned cat food before I did. One smell of them is enough to make a man puke.

I do love brussel sprouts and lima beans, two foods that someone mentioned they don't like. I like most any kind of veggie, some more than others.

Just remember this, if you were starving, you'd be surprised at what you would eat.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Food of last resort - 03/22/20
Spam or any canned fish, yuk!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Food of last resort - 03/22/20
i live next to the gulf of mexico, i'd never go hungry.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Food of last resort - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by bowfisher

Made me think of the movie "King Rat".

Aw don' kill them. Wrangle them and milk them for making mice cream.
Posted By: ratsnakeboogy Re: Food of last resort - 03/22/20
Cottage cheese. What the hell is that stuff about? Looks like throw up before you even eat it. 🤮
Posted By: ringworm Re: Food of last resort - 03/22/20
Just glanced in the pantry....have to say some old Halloween candyoild be last...after the dog.
Those marshmallow Peeps. They will be on clearance after Easter. The damned things never break down.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Food of last resort - 03/22/20
As a kid I are too much of my chocolate/ peanut butter Easter bunny. To this day I can’t stand the smell of a Reese’s peanut butter cup.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Food of last resort - 03/22/20
I scored fresh Salmon at the store yesterday AND they had rotisserie chickens

So we lived it up last night

more or less out of boredom we tried to make quick bread last night. Not sure what happened but my wife made bread soup instead.

so at the moment, her baking is the food of last resort.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Food of last resort - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by Sako76

I keep quite a bit of SPAM on hand, but only the hickory smoke stuff. I don't care much for the others unless I'm starving.

I ate sardines as a kid, but hate them now. Kippered herring is okay in small quantities. But I have several cases of canned (jarred) salmon on hand that I've put up over the past few seasons. Most of it is kippered with the remainder being skinless/boneless with a commercial salt pellet added before packing the jars.

I can have salmon salad sammiches, pound out patties and fry or mac-n-cheese salmon casserole.

more or less out of boredom we tried to make quick bread last night. Not sure what happened but my wife made bread soup instead.

Fresh from where? I suspect they have been previously frozen from last year if they're wild-caught. If they are truly fresh, they're likely farmed.
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: Food of last resort - 03/22/20
Back to those Brussel Sprouts. Great recipe here.
Chunk up a pound of bacon and fry it up. Remove the bacon and part of the drippings then add in a bag of brussel sprouts and a small amount of chopped onion. Brown the veggies and then add the browned bacon back to it.
Makes an excellent dish. Serve with a side of potato of choice and you have a pretty good meal.
Making myself hungry.
Les
Posted By: Kyhilljack Re: Food of last resort - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by tankerjockey
Back to those Brussel Sprouts. Great recipe here.
Chunk up a pound of bacon and fry it up. Remove the bacon and part of the drippings then add in a bag of brussel sprouts and a small amount of chopped onion. Brown the veggies and then add the browned bacon back to it.
Makes an excellent dish. Serve with a side of potato of choice and you have a pretty good meal.
Making myself hungry.
Les

With all that bacon you could substitute 'dog sheit' for brussel sprouts and probably still have a good dish.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Food of last resort - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by Sako76

I keep quite a bit of SPAM on hand, but only the hickory smoke stuff. I don't care much for the others unless I'm starving.

I ate sardines as a kid, but hate them now. Kippered herring is okay in small quantities. But I have several cases of canned (jarred) salmon on hand that I've put up over the past few seasons. Most of it is kippered with the remainder being skinless/boneless with a commercial salt pellet added before packing the jars.

I can have salmon salad sammiches, pound out patties and fry or mac-n-cheese salmon casserole.

Fresh from where? I suspect they have been previously frozen from last year if they're wild-caught. If they are truly fresh, they're likely farmed.

yea, the sign said locally farmed
Posted By: slumlord Re: Food of last resort - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by ratsnakeboogy
Cottage cheese. What the hell is that stuff about? Looks like throw up before you even eat it. 🤮

It’s the only thing that makes peaches worth eating.
© 24hourcampfire