Home
https://khn.org/news/as-coronavirus...icans-live-in-counties-with-no-icu-beds/
Or, as in our case, we have ICU beds, but the hospital refuses to take corona cases....
As if you had no clue.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blog...ring-after-obamacare-how-do-we-save-them
Originally Posted by Dutch
Or, as in our case, we have ICU beds, but the hospital refuses to take corona cases....

Interesting.

Maybe hospitals should be like most fire departments? Non-discriminatory.

Stay safe friend.

Map wouldn't open on the page, so I have no idea if we are one of those counties. I know most anything seriously life threatening here gets flown out, so maybe no real ICU.

Geno
We have ICU beds but only about 7,500 people in the county. Well short of a million.
Originally Posted by 1minute
We have ICU beds but only about 7,500 people in the county. Well short of a million.

In Bend, Oregon?

šŸ˜Ž
My mother was an nurse who lived 14 miles from a small central Texas town where she was the Head Nurse and the Operating Room Supervisor and where she put in 80 hours a week for 40 hours of pay trying to keep it from closing while competing with larger city hospitals another 30 miles away to serve several thousand locals under strains placed on hospitald under Bill Clinton.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

from your article....

Unfortunately, the market conditions for rural hospitals are unlikely to improve, which means these institutions will need to evolve if they are to survive. In practice, this means that many rural hospitals will need to reset the expectations of their communities about what services they can provide and remain viable.
Communities and patients served by rural hospitals have taken great pride in these institutions. However, as medicine has advanced, they have been challenged to make the investments needed to keep up with the latest technology and retain sophisticated, highly trained staff. And even with these investments, the question is whether they see enough volume to sustain skills and ensure optimal outcomes.
Nature has always used disease and famine to bring populations into balance with their habitat, maybe this is the 100 year reset for humans.

I was surprised how many counties in Virginia don't have a single hospital.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Interesting.

Stay safe friend.

Map wouldn't open on the page, so I have no idea if we are one of those counties. I know most anything seriously life threatening here gets flown out, so maybe no real ICU.

Geno

Geno,

map shows Modoc, Lassen and Plumas have hospitals but no ICU beds.

Sierra and Alpine are the only 2 counties showing NO hospital at all in CA.

AZ shows 3 counties with no ICU and 1 county with no Hospital.

Sycamore
Nature?

A lot of people in this age group have money...money gets you out of everything.
I took patients for years from surrounding small town hospitals with local GPs on staff who and which finally gave it up after your hero the Zero. The drs couldn't make enough to be worth the lowyer risks and insurance with 50% pay cuts under Zero. They "retired" (quit or moved to big cities and quit taking medicare) and the little hospitals went under.

You can keep your dr if you can drive 250 miles to keep an appt.
Jaguar,

What! Americans responding the the market? Bunch a damned free-enterprise capitalists! Moving on too greener pastures! almost like they studied medicine as a means to a financially rewarding career.

I've lived in a medically over-served area. there were a lot of amenities. weather was nice too. book stores and foreign movies. lots of Universities too.

But it wasn't home.

so now I live in a town with great medical care, because we are the only town of any size for many miles in any direction. We have great outdoor activities and are only 140 miles from a big city (to the south) , 250 miles to the west, or 325 miles to the east, or 500 miles north.

We have lots of Drs here that like to ski, hunt, camp, run rivers and enjoy the outdoors. Judging from the houses they live, they're doing pretty good.
Thanks Sycamore.

Didn't figure on Alpine having a hospital, it's so small. Matter of fact, the population was so low back in the 80's, some gay folks were suggesting a few move up there and "take over" making it a gay run county! Wouldn't that have gotten some panties in a bunch??

I think we actually have two hospitals, there a very small one over the hill in the next big town.

We're getting a new one built as I type this. Not sure if it will open this year, especially with this "flu" epidemic. Don't know if the folks are still working or have been sent home.

Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Geno
Alpine is markleeville, right?

when I drove through, it looked like the rural west, could have been anywhere in the intermountain west. flatbed trucks, welding rigs, and heavy equipment in every fourth backyard. kind of like Silverton, CO
I wasn't sure so I looked at my map. Yep, Markleeville, county seat and about the only town there of any note.

If you've been through it you're one of the few US residents to be able to say so.

Geno

Interesting.

Stay safe friend.

Geno

My understanding is that community hospitals have to take any patient that shows up. For-profit hospitals do not.
Originally Posted by Sycamore

from your article....

Unfortunately, the market conditions for rural hospitals are unlikely to improve, which means these institutions will need to evolve if they are to survive. In practice, this means that many rural hospitals will need to reset the expectations of their communities about what services they can provide and remain viable.
Communities and patients served by rural hospitals have taken great pride in these institutions. However, as medicine has advanced, they have been challenged to make the investments needed to keep up with the latest technology and retain sophisticated, highly trained staff. And even with these investments, the question is whether they see enough volume to sustain skills and ensure optimal outcomes.

Burdened by Obamacare, rural hospitals must double down on market-based, patient-driven health services to stay afloat.
I live 20 miles from a village and soon there will be no travel due to break-up, if at 69 I show syptoms I will retire to the guest cabin and either emerge or not!!
Your buds are having to go to CRNA nurse practitioners because there arent enough Drs after Zero fugged health care, dumbass.

Be a man if you can and own it.

Soon the only Dr you can see will probably be on CCTV.

Fughk your lieberal corksuckers in government. They cut Corona Care today to trash the economy.

You want to make a bet on whether Trump rolls over or puts the dick to them?

Your biltch piglosi tying an abortion bill onto a national crisis Corona care plan and yet you can find nothing wrong with it because you're a lieberal POS.

Alpine is markleeville, right?

when I drove through, it looked like the rural west, could have been anywhere in the intermountain west. flatbed trucks, welding rigs, and heavy equipment in every fourth backyard. kind of like Silverton, CO

Compared to Markleeville, Silverton is a booming metropolis.

Kind of surprised that Sierra county doesn't have a hospital. Although thinking about it - there's not much there, there. Downieville and Loyalton and not much else. Sierra City and Sierraville are tiny - maybe a hundred or so people in each?
Originally Posted by ironbender

Interesting.

Stay safe friend.

Geno

My understanding is that community hospitals have to take any patient that shows up. For-profit hospitals do not.

Community hospitals being "not for profit" I guess?

But not really in the truest sense of the word?

Geno
Originally Posted by waterrat
I live 20 miles from a village and soon there will be no travel due to break-up, if at 69 I show syptoms I will retire to the guest cabin and either emerge or not!!

Stay safe up there. Hopefully, your relative isolation will work in your favor.

After break up comes fishing, no? Go fishing........alone.

Best wishes.

Geno
Your buds are having to go to CRNA nurse practitioners because there arent enough Drs after Zero fugged health care, dumbass.

Be a man if you can and own it.

Soon the only Dr you can see will probably be on CCTV.

Fughk your lieberal corksuckers in government. They cut Corona Care today to trash the economy.

You want to make a bet on whether Trump rolls over or puts the dick to them?

Your biltch piglosi tying an abortion bill onto a national crisis Corona care plan and yet you can find nothing wrong with it because you're a lieberal POS.

What have you got against CRNAs?
Nothing. They are great, unless you really need a fuggin dr. What do you have against drs?

You dont want to hear of a few things I've seen, really. Actually with some MDs too.

You really dont want to go there, whether you know it or not.
CRNA is certified registered nurse anesthesiologist, yes?
Thanks to Obamacare

Jaguartx
Ream his ass brother. They canā€™t stand the truth. Fools donā€™t realize we had healthcare crisis before the China flu. Went to ER at large hospital last summer with heart attack symptoms. Didnā€™t see a doctor for eight hours and didnā€™t get a room for sixteen hours. Repeatedly they came out to only to say no available beds. ER was full of illegals, trash, and freeloaders. They were literally laughing and snickering at the few old Americans that had old traditional values and thought they would be helped.
America First. Take care of the right people and theyā€™ll take care of America.
Give em hell jag, ainā€™t many of us left. ā€œGod Bless Texasā€

Correct. CRNAs provide care in concert with a physician anesthesiologist, they aren't allowed to practice without physician oversight, but I have known a surgeon or two who prefer to have veteran CRNAs pass gas in lieu of a rookie physician.

Nurse Practitioners and Physicians' Assistants allow a physician to extend the amount of primary care that can be provided. Many rural hospitals and clinics employ NPs and PAs because they earn less than a board certified physician and can provide a wide range of routine primary care. That model runs into trouble when the mix of care in demand goes from routine to emergency.

Maybe this will be the catalyst for an overhaul of the healthcare delivery and payment systems.

When I was in healthcare administration, most NPs, and PAs weren't allowed to practice medicine without physician supervision, but it has been almost 25 years since I did that sort of work and it is likely that rules and regulations have changed.
PAs and NPs in my area all have a MD "supervising".

How closely I cannot tell you.

I can tell you that in our very rural county a person is most likely to be seen by a PA/NP and never meet the MD.

Geno
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Correct. CRNAs provide care in concert with a physician anesthesiologist, they aren't allowed to practice without physician oversight, but I have known a surgeon or two who prefer to have veteran CRNAs pass gas in lieu of a rookie physician.

Nurse Practitioners and Physicians' Assistants allow a physician to extend the amount of primary care that can be provided. Many rural hospitals and clinics employ NPs and PAs because they earn less than a board certified physician and can provide a wide range of routine primary care. That model runs into trouble when the mix of care in demand goes from routine to emergency.

Maybe this will be the catalyst for an overhaul of the healthcare delivery and payment systems.

When I was in healthcare administration, most NPs, and PAs weren't allowed to practice medicine without physician supervision, but it has been almost 25 years since I did that sort of work and it is likely that rules and regulations have changed.

Iā€™ll correct you on a few things. Iā€™ve done close to 20k cases, of all kinds, working with all-specialty surgeons without an anesthesiologist within fifty miles. In many states like as in Iowa, we have prescriptive authority. I also had a post-graduate credential to practice pain management from what was the American Academy of a Pain Management.

And, in some cases I was requested.

That would be great if it changed. Been happy with the NP I see.

Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Iā€™ll correct you on a few things. Iā€™ve done close to 20k cases, of all kinds, working with all-specialty surgeons without an anesthesiologist within fifty miles. In many states like as in Iowa, we have prescriptive authority. I also had a post-graduate credential to practice pain management from what was the American Academy of a Pain Management.
OMG!!!!!

I just realized that we dont have a level one trauma center or a huge hospital with numerous ICU beds in my county!!!!

You would think that with less than 7000 people in the county they would build two such gigantic hospitals.

The nerve.....
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
OMG!!!!!

I just realized that we dont have a level one trauma center or a huge hospital with numerous ICU beds in my county!!!!
You would think that with less than 7000 people in the county they would build two such gigantic hospitals.
The nerve.....

HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!
I'm gonna have to move to Seattle now.

Schit.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I'm gonna have to move to Seattle now.

Schit.

I think slumlord likes Billings.

Why not move there instead of Seattle?

Geno
you will be a great Seachicken fan. you might even make the kickoff return squad as a walk-on, lol
Originally Posted by kid0917
you will be a great Seachicken fan. you might even make the kickoff return squad as a walk-on, lol

I would watch football again if Jim could come out to return kickoffs in his union suit. With a beer in his hand maybe?

Geno
No Level One Trauma Center in Billings.

Its either Seattle or Denver for me now.
Sycamore: Yikes - I and the VarmintWife are apparently living in a "county" with NO I.C.U. beds?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Nothing. They are great, unless you really need a fuggin dr. What do you have against drs?

You dont want to hear of a few things I've seen, really. Actually with some MDs too.

I could tell you a few things. Sometimes itā€™s not safe to generalize. šŸ˜‰
Map shows no ICU here in our county, daughter says we do have ICU here and the map is incorrect. I am unsure!
local knowledge is best. probably hard to cobble together a report on every county in america.

it looks about right for Arizona. 1000 icu beds in Maricopa is amazing, but they probably have 4 million people there, lots of them older.

I could tell you a few things. Sometimes itā€™s not safe to generalize. šŸ˜‰

Yep, I expect you are pretty much in the know. Man, I'd like to share a campfire with you, George. In a hunting camp, of course. Hoping and praying HE gives us that opportunity some fine time.
Sounds like this thing can get really bad, very quick. I live close to many hospitals, but many people donā€™t. This virus is scaring the hell out of me!
When folks are in need they are sent to large city hospital.

Same happened to me twice.

I lived thru it with out any bad affects.

One was south and the other was to the north.
local knowledge is best. probably hard to cobble together a report on every county in america.

it looks about right for Arizona. 1000 icu beds in Maricopa is amazing, but they probably have 4 million people there, lots of them older.

Sycamore

where did you go to medical school and where did you your residency in infectious disease research?

clow

I knew that. I've been knocked out by a couple of them locally. They've all been very good.

It looked like jag was conflating CRNAs with NPs.
Hamilton County in Ohio has just under 300 beds and 569 Boomers to go in each one. I guess we'll have to arm-wrestle for 'em.
WE HAVE A NATIONAL DISASTER GOING ON.. AND WE HAVE SICK-AMORE TO COME UP WITH AL;L THE "ENCOURAGING NEWS" HE CAN FIND...

Why don't you present solutions from sources instead of using this epidemic to get on your soap box, and try to get attention?
After investigating the ICU here in our county, compared to the map! The map is bogus! Again a bogus MAP! So as usual the internet lies again!!!!!!
Bwak, bwak, bwak...the sky...it's falling!.....Bwak

And, in some cases I was requested.

Back in the mid-1990's I managed an anesthesiology practice with 10 MDs and 6 CRNAs. The more senior and experienced CRNAs were allowed to practice semi-autonomously, but they had to be able to contact a board certified anesthesiologist in the event of a problem and had to be employed by a hospital or physician practice. But, as noted, I Haven't been involved in healthcare administration since 1997.
Originally Posted by poboy

I think that this will end up with the financial impact being much worse than the impact to the health for the great majorities of Americans.

Or so it seems to me.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Sycamore: Yikes - I and the VarmintWife are apparently living in a "county" with NO I.C.U. beds?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

it's a quick run to Butte, Silver Bow county has 11 ICU beds. Or head south Bonneville county in Idaho has 35.

I think that this will end up with the financial impact being much worse than the impact to the health for the great majorities of Americans.

Or so it seems to me.

You understand the widespread reluctance to put a monetary value on a human life. Hard enough to value the loss of a leg, or an eye, for legal settlements. 1000 human lives or 5000 human lives, that's going to be tough.

Or so it seems to me.

You understand the widespread reluctance to put a monetary value on a human life. Hard enough to value the loss of a leg, or an eye, for legal settlements. 1000 human lives or 5000 human lives, that's going to be tough.

There are approximately 330,000,000 U.S. citizens.

Every death is a tragedy for family and friends, but each death is also a fraction of a percent of the population as a whole.

As of 03/26/2020 there are approximately 75,000 cases of diagnosed COVID19 with approximately 1,100 deaths. 1,100 deaths is 1.47% of the diagnoses cases. I haven't seen a breakdown of the ages or underlying health of the deceased, but it is unlikely that the number of sick and dead are equally distributed through the population.

As noted previously, I think that more Americans are more likely to be directly impacted financially than they are to die from this virus.
last number I saw was half ICU cases were over 65, half were under. Not sure if that was statewide (AZ) or national.

Beyond the deaths (hard to put $ number on that) there is a cost of medical treatment for the seriously ill, and the impact to others denied care because of the influx of those ill from Covid-19. a real economics problem, above my pay grade for sure.

Docs around here are preparing for the worst.already a tough place for respiratory cases (7000 ASL). Leadville, CO is the only hospital I can think of at a higher elevation, but don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of US hospitals.
In the eight counties surrounding my own and including my county...nine total, there are seventeen ICU beds in two or three hospitals. There are eight hospitals, by my count. So seventeen beds in two or three hospitals out of eight hospitals in nine counties. Three of those counties don't even have a hospital.
I can only think of 3 hospitals that would have ICU beds in our giant (land area not population) county. most of those beds are right here in town. but we are biggest town for hundreds of miles in most directions, except PHX, 140 miles south.
© 24hourcampfire