Home
Posted By: Sponxx Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
Seems like if one is not investment-diversified yet, this current situation is a wake up call to be.
I have been thinking about putting some money in gold/silver, but have no clue on which are trustworthy resources to look into/purchase.
Bars vs coins? seems coins retain better value
silver is less volatile, but cheaper in good performing markets.

Any insight gentlemen?
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
Silver eagles
Gold eagles
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Silver eagles
Gold eagles

Bingo !

Junk silver coins are good too, back when they actually used silver in the coins
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Silver eagles
Gold eagles

Bingo !

Junk silver coins are good too, back when they actually used silver in the coins

I collect the actual silver junk coins. People would be shocked to know how much more valuable coins are past face value sometimes.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
Yep, I knew about the eagles, I've read buffalo coins too
Any sites you would recommend, for buy-store?
How does one sell them if need be?

Thanks
Posted By: irfubar Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
Good luck, dealers are out of inventory. The going price is on silver is about double the spot price.
You may get lucky but the window is closing fast.
The time to stock up was a couple weeks ago
Lead coins.

Crises turn lead into gold.
JM Bullion is whonI buy from, they will buy them back from you also. Plus 1 on Silver Eagles and Gold Eagles
Posted By: memtb Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
I’m heavily invested in “precious metals”.......wheel weights! wink memtb
I usually buy silver a couple of times a year. Now, forget it. All the big players are charging outrageous fees above spot if you buy. The other day APMEX was charging $9 over spot for silver eagles.
Supply and demand is returning to the market.
The paper manipulators will lose a grip very soon. The price will be going much higher
May be too late to snatch some up, as well.

These folks have been sold out of all gold and silver inventory on hand for a week now.

https://www.texmetals.com/

They have some more metal coming, though.

This is one of the nations biggest precious metal companies too.. frown
Originally Posted by memtb

It was trading at Acadamy for about $35/lb....
Might a been a little copper mixed in.
Sponx: I have a fair amount of "silver" dimes - this for the unlikely event of our economy/dollar collapsing.
If I never need a "silver" dime to buy a loaf of bread or gallon of gas or a box of 22 shells then no loss - I'll just sell them when my end is near and give the proceeds to my heirs.
Gold bars (and gold coins!) may be harder to garner bread and gas with?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: hanco Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
I have a bunch of silver dollars. I think they are mostly silver.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
Does tinfoil qualify?
Posted By: kingston Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a bunch of silver dollars. I think they are mostly silver.

^^^^ Sig line material ^^^^
Investing in lead and brass now will make it easier to acquire gold and silver later. If you're already holding precious metals, then the lead and brass becomes even more valuable!
Jerry
Posted By: CraigD Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
Buy more lead! Casting bullets is a good way to eat up some time while waiting for this crap to blow over...

Mixing linotype and wheel weights - hard alloy but not too hard.
Posted By: papat Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
Lead and brass all the way
Posted By: memtb Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by memtb

It was trading at Acadamy for about $35/lb....
Might a been a little copper mixed in.

I can get a lot of silver/gold.....with a few ounces of wheel weights! grin Just saying! My wheel weight, one day, may be more valuable than many other precious metals! wink memtb
Posted By: Otter Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
My precious metal of choice for investing is LEAD. I have probably 800 or 900 pounds in ingots, cast bullets or balls. If push comes to shove, I could get a lot of gold and silver with the lead I have on hand.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
Silver eagles
Gold eagles

With the higher cost, why is this the best way to buy?
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Silver eagles
Gold eagles

With the higher cost, why is this the best way to buy?

Because of their recognition.
I don't follow precious metals but see that if you were buying 100 Silver Eagles, they'd run $23.79/ea. So is this a good/bad price for a long-term purchase?
I don't follow precious metals but see that if you were buying 100 Silver Eagles, they'd run $23.79/ea. So is this a good/bad price for a long-term purchase?

Hard to say. But that's well above spot price at present.
What would you consider a good price above spot for silver eagles and with precious metals following the market up and down I understand there's no "time" to buy but what would be the best conditions under which to make a purchase (in general)?
What would you consider a good price above spot for silver eagles and with precious metals following the market up and down I understand there's no "time" to buy but what would be the best conditions under which to make a purchase (in general)?

In normal times silver bars and ingots sell for about a $1 an ounce over spot. Silver Eagles, roughly $4 over. I would wait for "normal" times before buying,
Be sure to cast a few bullets out of silver- - - - -just in case you encounter a werewolf instead of a zombie! Throwing Bud Light cans- - - -even full ones- - -doesn't work!
Jerry
Noted both points! Thank you.... wink
During some of the previous panic. I bought some silver 1 oz bars and rounds...I have one large chunk of silver...100 oz....don't recomend this as it hard to sell when no one has cash...years ago I bought lead in various form...lots of bullets and 22 rf before the Harding...sold some of that to friends who wanted to take there kids shooting...I wouldn't let the horders hav it....also bought about 3000 lbs of lead blankets that came out of a nuke plant...either melt it down for shot or bullets or sell for scrap....
Posted By: Raeford Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
This guy Thanks God that his granddaddy was a head cashier at our small town bank from the mid 30-60's and had an eye for coins with value.
He used to tell us stories of going through every till at the end of the day and swapping out coins that he knew had or would have value beyond face value.
Buckets of silver and quite a few gold pieces.
He kept all of it and passed down to his only son[dad] which has been slowly doling them out to us[3 sons] each Christmas.
I love the feeling of holding $20 gold pieces in hand.
Originally Posted by Sponxx
Seems like if one is not investment-diversified yet, this current situation is a wake up call to be.
I have been thinking about putting some money in gold/silver, but have no clue on which are trustworthy resources to look into/purchase.

Any insight gentlemen?

If you want to invest in the metal only, rather than in the form it comes in, your best bet is kilo or 10 oz bars. Don't get the bars that have collector value due to the mint being out of business or the mint being collected. Go with bars that are closest to spot, which is usually a bar that's got a currently in operation mint making them, such as APMEX. With APMEX bars, or the like, you are getting very close to exchanging currency for silver, rather than contaminating your silver purchase with collector value. Same goes for gold, but in smaller weights, unless you're quite wealthy.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
Every time the price drops suddenly no one has anything to sale. It is all out of stock.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Every time the price drops suddenly no one has anything to sale. It is all out of stock.

This is true. The reason for this is that it's an artificial, paper driven, low. If it were the actual market price, folks would be happy to sell to you, and there would be plenty of it to sell. Those who hold it, in other words, don't agree that this is the actual price, so it's actually not the actual price. It's sellers who determine the real price, and if they won't sell at the paper price, the paper price is bogus. Take advantage of the sale, though, by finding some one who is willing to contract for a purchase, and will deliver when they can get it. APMEX will happily do that.
Posted By: RayF Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
What would you consider a good price above spot for silver eagles and with precious metals following the market up and down

It used to be 12% to 16% for silver (roughly $2).

Iunderstand there's no "time" to buy but what would be the best conditions under which to make a purchase (in general)?

For the past year, anything near $12. Now? Anybody’s guess. The pandemic has resulted in the ceasing of mining operations. No idea when that will be reflected in pricing.
Posted By: johnw Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by Sponxx

Any insight gentlemen?

Silver is actually a bit more volatile on average, than gold. Coins like the silver eagle have added value in that both the nature of the coin and it's silver content are widely known. And they are in a convenient denomination for trade purposes. This is also why junk silver dimes are preferred by many.

Current prices of silver eagles seem high, given spot price, but the market will settle. Current spot price is affected by the fire sale of those who used it to hedge the commodities markets.
Silver eagles
Gold eagles

NO and NO

First off metals have never outpaced the Markets. Second coins are a sellers dream. If you want to invest in metals do it in either stocks, funds, or ETF's.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Silver eagles
Gold eagles

NO and NO

First off metals have never outpaced the Markets. Second coins are a sellers dream. If you want to invest in metals do it in either stocks, funds, or ETF's.

Anything other than the physical metals in your possession is nothing.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
Stopped by my local coin dealer
Eagles were $24.00 with spot at $12.00 and change

He said -- that is what it will cost to replace them---

I passed!
I buy from Colorado Gold. There is a minimum but the prices are best.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Silver eagles
Gold eagles

NO and NO

If you can't hold it in your hands, you don't own it. You only own a contract.
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Stopped by my local coin dealer
Eagles were $24.00 with spot at $12.00 and change

He said -- that is what it will cost to replace them---

I passed!

Smart. Go to APMEX. Much better prices.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
Buy gold that is currency, it is not taxable. A buddy has been heavily invested in gold and silver coin, he missed out on the greatest stock market run and drop. We'll see if it comes back, I'm betting it will.

Ignore the spot price. The paper markets that set spot are highly manipulated. If this keeps up the Comex will crash. The reason the dealers are sold out and metal is selling above spot means the paper market is currently irrelevant.

Another thing to consider is silver to gold value. Back when gold and silver were considered money that ratio was about 20 to 1. Today it is approx. 120 to 1, silver is way undervalued.

Silver is way more volatile than gold and has been for a long time.

The advice to hold metal stocks or ETF's is horrible advice, it is paper contracts on metal that has been sold to several different people.

The purpose of metal is not to grow your wealth but to preserve it.

It serves this function best during times of uncertainty, like what is going on now.

You will start hearing how our system is a Ponzi scheme that needs constant growth to stay viable, pay attention to those authors.

Printing trillions more for bail outs on top of the trillions of debt will lead to inflation.

We are currently in a deflationary crisis like non in history, inflation will follow.

The machine is very close to being irreparably broken, plan accordingly
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
I use to work for Blanchard in th 80s. Good people. Mike Fuljenz worked there at the same time and he was the go to knowledge guy. He is off on his own now at Universal Coin. Might be a good place to start with either of those.
Originally Posted by irfubar

Ignore the spot price. The paper markets that set spot are highly manipulated. If this keeps up the Comex will crash. The reason the dealers are sold out and metal is selling above spot means the paper market is currently irrelevant.

Another thing to consider is silver to gold value. Back when gold and silver were considered money that ratio was about 20 to 1. Today it is approx. 120 to 1, silver is way undervalued.

Silver is way more volatile than gold and has been for a long time.

The advice to hold metal stocks or ETF's is horrible advice, it is paper contracts on metal that has been sold to several different people.

The purpose of metal is not to grow your wealth but to preserve it.

It serves this function best during times of uncertainty, like what is going on now.

You will start hearing how our system is a Ponzi scheme that needs constant growth to stay viable, pay attention to those authors.

Printing trillions more for bail outs on top of the trillions of debt will lead to inflation.

We are currently in a deflationary crisis like non in history, inflation will follow.

The machine is very close to being irreparably broken, plan accordingly
mike762?? That you?
No Hawkeye, no sock puppets for me ... yet smile

I do miss that guy though
So I thought, I have stock in Freeport-McMoRan, So I thought should have some physical metal too.
Guess which is more valuable today? if F-M ever recovers I will liquidate and buy physical with the funds.
my only advice to anyone just getting into metals, buy some fractional's too. easier to spend then bars.
Easiest way for those of you with a brokerage account is GLD.
Originally Posted by deerstalker
So I thought, I have stock in Freeport-McMoRan, So I thought should have some physical metal too.
Guess which is more valuable today? if F-M ever recovers I will liquidate and buy physical with the funds.
my only advice to anyone just getting into metals, buy some fractional's too. easier to spend then bars.

Silver dimes are awesome for that purpose, and can be had for very close to spot. You can get huge sacks full from APMEX.

I like 1964 Kennedy 90% silver half dollars, too, for fractionals. You can get them even closer to spot, usually, because few know that 1964 (and only 1964) Kennedy half dollars were minted 90% silver. After that, they were minted 40% silver till 1971, when they completely stopped using silver in any US coinage. Since few know this about 1964 Kennedy half dollars, there is less demand for them.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Brad Re: Precious metal investment - 03/24/20
Freeport isn’t going anywhere but up long term.
Ahh the dooms dayers, I have to hold it in my hand or it doesn't exist. LMAO

As for buying metal currency it certainly is taxable! Who is going to write you a check for $20K to however many $K and where are you going to deposit it? Good god it is easy to see who knows something and who is clueless.

Yes we are in a time of uncertainty and a situation never seen before. But just like every other this is the ONE, we will overcome it. The markets will recover, and this times like times past are were you make your money if you are positioned right.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Precious metal investment - 03/25/20
Precious metals are whole different thing, think of it as wealth preservation in difficult times. A hedge so to speak. To put all of ones assets into a single commodity , stock etc... is a fools game.
In saving and investing diversity is your friend..... not so much in demographics.... wink

The thing about markets always recovering is the time factor, if you are 65 and your stock portfolio collapses time is not on your side. Even in really good times it takes about ten years of a bull market to recover deep loses.

Precious metals are simply a diversified hedge to offset those losses.... nothing more nothing less
Oh and another thing if you get wealthy of of your P.M. investment the economy has collapsed
Precious metals are whole different thing, think of it as wealth preservation in difficult times. A hedge so to speak. To put all of ones assets into a single commodity , stock etc... is a fools game.
In saving and investing diversity is your friend..... not so much in demographics.... wink

The thing about markets always recovering is the time factor, if you are 65 and your stock portfolio collapses time is not on your side. Even in really good times it takes about ten years of a bull market to recover deep loses.

Precious metals are simply a diversified hedge to offset those losses.... nothing more nothing less

Whoever is at that age and that heavy into the market either has a really bad financial advisor or is just plain dumb! It also doesn't take 10 years to recover, I recovered from the 2008 market in less then five.

Hell in 08 I bought shares of the Hartford at $6ish a share. Even in this dump today I am still well above water. Again the doomsdayers love to point out people doing stupid sh_t as defense for their bad advice. Smart investing is your own responsibility at 65 you should be in full swing asset protection. If you are doing well at 65 and are in full swing protection you can afford to dabble but you should know dam well your limits.

Seeing how everyone wants to use dooms day scenarios what 65 to 100 year old is going to carry a sack of silver and gold to be bartered or solid? Not to mention the crimes on the streets and protecting not only their self but their liquid silver and gold assets? Come on truth is historically metals never out pace the markets, and the markets always return. Like I said the sellers are the ones making money or Gold and silver. Anyways it's your money invest it how you want to.
Oh and another thing if you get wealthy of of your P.M. investment the economy has collapsed

You think? smile smile smile
PM's are like playing sucker bets in craps, Payouts look great but are never true odds/values. Add to it they are the least likely to happen in odds as well.
MCH,
Your points are valid of course. P.M.'s are simply another tool available in your financial tool chest. A thousand ways to skin this cat and everybody's situation, needs, time frame, risk tolerance etc.. are different.
I made a decisions years ago to avoid the stock market, watching it in free fall is fascinating but not personally terrifying, I do worry for our country though.

I am a little older than you therefore my needs and priorities are different. People need to educate themselves and make a decision that is right for them.

Again P.M.'s are simply another means to an end
MCH,
Your points are valid of course. P.M.'s are simply another tool available in your financial tool chest. A thousand ways to skin this cat and everybody's situation, needs, time frame, risk tolerance etc.. are different.
I made a decisions years ago to avoid the stock market, watching it in free fall is fascinating but not personally terrifying, I do worry for our country though.

I am a little older than you therefore my needs and priorities are different. People need to educate themselves and make a decision that is right for them.

Again P.M.'s are simply another means to an end

I never said they were not a available tool. I said those that are making money on it is the sellers. A better way is to own stocks, funds, and ETF's in PM's. There are many different ways that can be held and it doesn't require storing, transporting, or having to protect it. Add that the ROI has historically been better as well over coins and Bullion. I don't think you and I disagree all that much fiscally.

I have seen first hand just how bad the coin market is. I had a relative that had a rather large coin portfolio and also keep every receipt for well over 40 years on every piece bought. After searching high and low for the best cash out value it was a horrible turn out and that was when gold was well over $1K and silver was near $50.00. I was very lucky in the timing of it and it was by no means planned, I would rather have my relative back and have lost the value. My point is that that one peak saved a total disaster and yes we profited a small amount. Nothing close to what that money would have been if invested wisely in the market all those years.
MCH,
Yes our investment tactics are more similar than different I suspect. I would never advocate 100% or even 50% in metals .
Again as a hedge against an economic catastrophe, it can be useful.
© 24hourcampfire