Home
Posted By: KFWA going to start a new hobby - 03/24/20
saw a video of this and thought I'd enjoy it

told my wife about it and she wants to do it with me

the hobby is magnet fishing

trolling the bottom of popular water access areas for lures, tools, knives, whatever

bought a 500lb magnet (who knows what that means) and a 65 foot length of rope for both of us. When the weather gets a bit better we're going to spend a day of social distancing doing it.

anyone else do this? any tips for how to not get your magnet stuck on a log at the bottom?
Don’t get cut by anything jagged.
Well I just float this out there...

When it comes to fishing stories...

Photos, or you didn't catch it....
In order to maintain a safe distance from pathogens.............you decide to spend your time gathering rusty, slime covered hunks of sharp metal from the bottom of a fish schit covered cespool?

Good plan.
KFWA, how is the daughter doing? Getting well yet? Good luck on the magnet fishing MB
Posted By: AKduck Re: going to start a new hobby - 03/24/20
I know a kid here in town that will snorkel in the lake and get all sorts of lures at the end of the season after the tourists clear. They all fish in the same rock pile so it’s an easy task.
Never fished with a magnet, but I used to go to popular lakes on the first weekday morning after a holiday like Memorial Day and just walk around the shore as I fished. Found many lures, knives, multi-tools, etc. just lying there. Once came a cross an entire tackle box. A couple of rods and reels. A decent pair of Nikon binoculars. An H&R .22 revolver.

When I was a kid in Show Low, AZ they drained Show Low lake. I went out there when the water was about 20' down and pulled lots of stuff out of the rocks that had previously been submerged, including a few hundred pounds of aluminum cans.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: going to start a new hobby - 03/24/20
Just make sure it's steelhead season. You don't want a ticket, for out of season fishing!😬
Posted By: KFWA Re: going to start a new hobby - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
KFWA, how is the daughter doing? Getting well yet? Good luck on the magnet fishing MB

doing well, I don't think it was the virus - no signs of ill effects and everyone in the household is healthy.

thanks for asking
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
In order to maintain a safe distance from pathogens.............you decide to spend your time gathering rusty, slime covered hunks of sharp metal from the bottom of a fish schit covered cespool?

Good plan.

I"ve been married a looooong time
Posted By: poboy Re: going to start a new hobby - 03/24/20
Use enough boat for 500lb magnet.
Posted By: JTman Re: going to start a new hobby - 03/24/20
My brother in law just started doing this. I've considered it in the past. Where did you buy your magnet?
Posted By: BluMtn Re: going to start a new hobby - 03/24/20
A couple friends of mine have been doing that for years. Found hundreds of pounds weights. melt them down and make their own smaller weights.
Ha ha, bet the first thing it sticks to is a dumped car
I've always wondered...if your magnet will hold 500 pounds, howinhell do you pry something off of it?

BluMtn, they claim they brought up lead weights? Magnets don't attract lead.
Originally Posted by JTman
My brother in law just started doing this. I've considered it in the past. Where did you buy your magnet?

amazon has "kits" - magnets, rope and gloves - just search on magnet fishing
Originally Posted by poboy
Use enough boat for 500lb magnet.

I got my wife a 260lb magnet. Maybe I made a mistake buying a 500lb one. I didn't figure it would really haul up to 500 pounds out of a lake. Its the size of a hockey puck
Posted By: aalf Re: going to start a new hobby - 03/24/20

Wait'll you find that missing car......
my luck it will be a 1956 Norge refigerator
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I've always wondered...if your magnet will hold 500 pounds, howinhell do you pry something off of it?

BluMtn, they claim they brought up lead weights? Magnets don't attract lead.

You caught that too?

Perhaps the magnet was attracted to that itty bitty steel fishhook and the three ounce weight was lifted incidentally???? Yeah, snicker, snicker, that's the ticket!

Anybody remember what TV show/movie that last came from? I do not.
Posted By: ST50 Re: going to start a new hobby - 03/24/20
My grandson got a magnet with a rope for Christmas. I haven't had time to go with him yet this spring
I've seen these videos on Youtube of these guys magnet fishing, and they sure bring up a lot of crap around docks, boat ramps, bridges, channels, etc. There's a lot of trash in the lakes out there.

A friend of mine used to hit all the reservoirs in our area of Ohio in the late fall or early spring when the lakes were on draw down. He had a huge collection of coins, jewelry, and fishing gear he'd found. He had a couple different White's brand metal detectors set up to hit on different metals. He'd also hit parks, drive in theatres, etc. His collection was so big, when he passed, they had an auctioneer in to sell the stuff off to clear his estate.
I wonder if the hinges on sunglasses are magnetic?
I bet there are a ton of those around boat ramps...

Don't forget to try marina docks. Lots a tools down there.

Enjoy
Posted By: KFWA Re: going to start a new hobby - 03/27/20
I got the 290lb magnet out and took it out the garage. I attached to my safe and I could barely get that son of a b off.

I can't imagine what would happen with a 500lb magnet connecting to something heavy in the water. Looks like I'll have to get a "lighter" one - or a winch.
Originally Posted by BluMtn
A couple friends of mine have been doing that for years. Found hundreds of pounds weights. melt them down and make their own smaller weights.

What kind of weights? Magnets aren't attracted to lead.

And any "jewelry" picked up by a magnet probably isn't worth a nickel.
Might find Jimmy Hoffa wrapped up in chains!!!!
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by BluMtn

What kind of weights? Magnets aren't attracted to lead.

And any "jewelry" picked up by a magnet probably isn't worth a nickel.

Swivels, hooks, lures, with mono line and sinkers.
There are lots of boat anchors caught in the rocks down there. A guy in school knew that i scuba dived and asked if I’d go out in the bay and get his anchor back for him. Holy smokes, there were dozens caught it those same rocks. Lots of stuff looks real good under water at the time, but just turns into rusted junk in the garage when you bring it home. Magnet fishing reads like an interesting hobby, but there is some big stuff under water. Don’t hook on to more than you can lift. We found about a 500# ships anchor out in Lake Superior and just the chain attached to it weighed more than the anchor.
yea, that's what I'm afraid of

I'm going to order a couple of lighter lb magnets.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
I wonder if the hinges on sunglasses are magnetic?
I bet there are a ton of those around boat ramps...

Don't forget to try marina docks. Lots a tools down there.

Enjoy

that is a good suggestion, matter of fact, that is where I'm going to start
Originally Posted by KFWA
I got the 290lb magnet out and took it out the garage. I attached to my safe and I could barely get that son of a b off.

I can't imagine what would happen with a 500lb magnet connecting to something heavy in the water. Looks like I'll have to get a "lighter" one - or a winch.

Spectra and a come-a-long!
What is the ratio of in air weight to freshwater submerged weight?
I may wind up that you just need to drag it to the shallows..
© 24hourcampfire