Home
Posted By: Tracks Purchases I don't understand - 03/26/20
Mad rush to buy Guns and ammo, hell, people are trying not to die, not rampaging through neighborhoods
Toilet paper, trust me, its being made faster than it can be used
Water, afraid the city is going to turn it off?
Gasoline, world wide surplus of the stuff, price going through the floor.
Don't make sense to me, maybe I'm missing something
Too deep for an overaged county boy like me Tracks.
The Zombie apocalypse types have been training for this moment their whole lives.
Posted By: WTF Re: Purchases I don't understand - 03/26/20
And now it's taters. None to be found around here. I reckon they're gonna wipe their azzes with them.
Let’s face it, everybody feels better with a gun. When the sheep realize government can’t really protect them, from anything, they want a gun. Only one out of the ones listed that makes sense to me.
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

When panic hits logic goes out the window.

When in danger
or in doubt
run in circles
scream and shout (or buy cart loads of toilet paper)
Most of us with a few brain cells to rub together have enough intelligence to resist the brainwashing efforts of the media and the politicians. Sadly, the vast majority of the sheeple don't have that capability. I'm waiting for the lemming stampede into the oceans by the desperate hordes from both coasts to begin. "Any Day Now"!
Jerry
With disaster movies and books so popular...............hmmm.....
It's almost Palovian. Mention "crisis" and people react as though it always means post-hurricane-like conditions. And just as they do for hurricanes, people panic buy water, batteries, fresh and storable foods - and guns.

Toilet paper is harder to grasp. But I attribute it to simple mob psychology coupled with today's social media: one person says he's stocking up on something, and suddenly everybody thinks they have to stock up on it, too. No rhyme nor reason, just human idiocy.
All I know is I couldn't find any TP last week when I started to run low. Was lucky enough to find some on Amazon for regular price. All that was left were 4 packs of regular and 80 packs of the stuff they use in the porta johns...probably didn't need 80 rolls of TP, but it was $.63 a roll. Was on the last roll when it got here yesterday...never been so happy to see an Amazon box.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Purchases I don't understand - 03/26/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
The Zombie apocalypse types have been training for this moment their whole lives.

So true Jim.

There are people that deep-down they have been dreaming of something like this is happening. They have lived in perpetual fear and now they have the beast in sight.
Of all the essential needs in life, toilet paper is somewhere in the lower half of the first hundred.
What's with all the freezers being gone? My lagering chamber puked out last week, now I'm stuck brewing ales and maybe an Anchor Steam clone.
I happened ro be at a north Alabama Walmart when the panic buying was just beginning. In this area, poeple usually reserve that type of feverish buying for predicted snow accumulations of an inch or more. The poor guy who was trying to keep the shelves stocked in the meat department (and losing) commented "This is like a snowstorm on steroids!" I saw more than one shopping cart filled to overflowing with freah meat, and several people with EBT and SNAP cards pooling their buying power to "pay" for them. "Your tax dollars at work!"
Jerry
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Purchases I don't understand - 03/26/20
and of all the things to be "panic" bought first, it was the TP. I don't get it. And I dang sure can think of many things that I'd buy first, even if I thought the moment was coming for SHTF...
People are hoarding frozen food so they need another freezer.
Tim, have you peeked at the frozen food aisle? Not a pizza, TV dinner, or ice cream bucket left.

Hence, the sudden appearance of freezer envy.
On the other hand, I'll bet I can buy all the food dehydrators I want. The fresh fruits and vegetables are stocked to overflowing, and dried and vacuum-packed stuff keeps for months without refrigeration!
Jerry
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Tim, have you peeked at the frozen food aisle? Not a pizza, TV dinner, or ice cream bucket left.

Not true, the gluten free pizzas are still fully stocked. LOL!
Old people have to eat a gallon of ice cream every 3 days.

Life sustaining, apparently.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Purchases I don't understand - 03/26/20
Remember Y2K and the generator purchases?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Which is why there's a TP shortage. They're so excited that they're continually wanking off... smile
My son recently lost his job with a company that supplied pizzas and ice cream. Knowing the job was going away he filled every freezer he had with- guess what, pizzzas and ice cream. He even came and got mine.
Too add to that he picked up a part time job at a supermarket, stocking shelves at night. He gets first shot at needed items.
Kids in a good spot right now. laugh
Posted By: jk16 Re: Purchases I don't understand - 03/26/20
Like the stock investors say-

PANIC is not a strategy.

And sadly ,there are a lot of reptilian brained idiots running around..
I confess to contributing to the panic earlier this week by buying a much larger quantity of Heather’s Choice meals than I normally would.

I needed a few for a backpacking trip so I was putting in an order. Just in case there is a run on them before the next trip I 4x’d all the quantities. My oldest son would go sit in the yard and jetboil the things for every meal if we let him, so I don’t want to run out.
From my pool deck in West Central Florida.....

This appears to be like the panic response to a hurricane................. except with electricity, an abundance of cheap gas, and NObody on the roads!?!?!?!?

We had our first Corona death in the county yesterday.....

W're mostly staying home, if we need something we go get it............ keeping a distance!

Had to go to the chiropractor yesterday............ he ripped it!!! '...it may not be the flu or 'a flu', but it's like the flu, only less deadly...' he was rather definite, he said '...me and you.... we ain't gonna die from it...'

Hope he's right!!!!
Posted By: aalf Re: Purchases I don't understand - 03/26/20
I went shopping a couple days ago, and got everything on my list......

Milk, bread, dinner rolls, eggs, cheese, potatoes, bananas, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, ass wipe, bleach, cold meat, chips, ketchup, pork chops, and a couple of cooked hams for a buck a pound.
I must confess, I think I might be responsible for the run on toilet paper. A couple weeks ago my wife said to pick up a package of toilet paper when I stop at the store on the way home from the ranch. And, she said if they have eggs, get a dozen. Well they had eggs so I got a dozen packages of toilet paper. I think i did not understand what she meant.
Originally Posted by Tracks
My son recently lost his job with a company that supplied pizzas and ice cream. Knowing the job was going away he filled every freezer he had with- guess what, pizzzas and ice cream. He even came and got mine.
Too add to that he picked up a part time job at a supermarket, stocking shelves at night. He gets first shot at needed items.

Your kid ripped off his employer the last week he was there?
Posted By: poboy Re: Purchases I don't understand - 03/26/20
Main-stream Media\democrat induced panic. They like gloom and doom.
No influence from the media. I bought TP cause I consider it essential. You don't?
Here's one I don't understand. There's a COSTCO on the other side of our city/county, pop. somewhat over 100K. Folks love COSTCO in normal times, good prices especially on bulk purchases.

Predictably, COSTCO is now a mob scene, and out of a lot of stuff like TP. It is gone as soon as it is stocked. We live on the other side of the county, about 12 miles from COSTCO, and we have been able to find just about everything we need at one of three supermarkets within 4 miles from here, including TP. Oh, they don't have everything in stock all the time, and not every store has what you need just when you want it, but if you're patient you can get it. Sometimes you can score at the small dollar type stores. Still, we have neighbors who keep running over to COSTCO to look for TP, etc.!

Gun stores are crazy but not totally insane. 9mm and 5.56 ammo are pretty much gone, but there are some guns and ammo and bricks of .22s at normal prices, at least in the smaller stores.

For some reason, folks head to the big places and overlook the smaller stores.

Paul

Growing up parents only made major shopping trips once or twice a month. Chest freezer the size of a coffin and sometimes second fridge in every garage with the washing machine seemed like a normal thing in the neighborhoods I grew up in.

America wasn't a Nation of large food beasts our food consumption was a heck of a lot lower. Moms always watching their figures, Dads rather have a cocktail than an extra helping. Kids wanting to playing outside rather than eating at the table. People on welfare weren't fat or obese either.
Posted By: Dess Re: Purchases I don't understand - 03/26/20
In an out of control world, people are trying to control anything....anything at all.

You can't mix logic and emotion.
Between my son and I we have 70,000+ rounds of Federal copper hp 40 gr maybe more. Why, cause his boys burn a brick every time they visit me. I buy a 5 thousand at a time when they are on sale. Fun to watch those twin 12 year olds load mags...1 loads a 25 round mag as the other shoots the race is to see if the loader gets done before the shooter...they are pretty fast at loading mags they start with 8 twenty five round mags and almost always keep up a steady fire unless one of the 10\22s jams.
Growing up in the 1950's on an Indian reservation sixty miles from town. We went into Tucson once a month for groceries. Went to Phoenix once a year at Christmas time because it was too hot to go in the summer. No A/C in the old Pontiac. I remember that coffin size freezer.
Mad rush to buy Guns and ammo, hell, people are trying not to die, not rampaging through neighborhoods

On guns and ammo, there are a lot of Bills in various state legislatures right now as well as the crap in Virginia that has already went down. Blomberg trying to influence the whole country instead of staying in New York. Add to all that the Coronavirus and subsequent shutdowns of various things including the NICS system, and in some states, gun stores, and you have a lot of nervous people.

Lots of people don't drink tap water and rely on bottled water for their drinking needs. One news story about water shortages and we're off to the races. Add to that the possibility of the taps actually getting turned off. Uncertain times, once again.

The price going through the floor has encouraged people to fill their tanks and their lawnmower's tanks, etc. They don't think the low prices will last. Again, add the Coronavirus to the mix and people just want to be topped off.

I don't have much of an answer about toilet paper.
Fifty years ago they talked about keeping up with the Jones's.
We are about 65 miles from a Costco, but we have many large grocery chains here, along with big box stores selling everything you would want. Still, we know people that will make the Costco trip once a week or so to save money. These are geezerly couples with no kids at home. Doesn't make much sense to me.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Old people have to eat a gallon of ice cream every 3 days.

Life sustaining, apparently.

Yes we do and yes it is. laugh

That boy's gonna be popular. smile

What about TP? smile
Of all the essential needs in life, toilet paper is somewhere in the lower half of the first hundred.

Well, we know where you shop now. At least social distancing should be no problem.
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
What's with all the freezers being gone? My lagering chamber puked out last week, now I'm stuck brewing ales and maybe an Anchor Steam clone.
Wtf do you need with a freezer in Wisconsin? Can't you just throw your stuff out in a snowbank?

Here's what you missed.

What happens if the line workers at the water plant and power company experience a wide spread infection?

Also, it's surprising how many city folks, especially apartment dwellers, don't even have a weeks worth of food.

Any clarification you can offer here?

You were a real wise ass when I joined this site, how bout now?
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Purchases I don't understand - 03/26/20

Can bet the apple did not fall far from...…
Buddy of mine was over last weekend, and he had a theory on the TP hoarding...

If you are in a crowded place & cough or sneeze, everyone close to you will schitt their pants. grin
Individuals are very smart, get those same people in a group and they become dumb as a box of rocks
Hank
Originally Posted by jnyork
We are about 65 miles from a Costco, but we have many large grocery chains here, along with big box stores selling everything you would want. Still, we know people that will make the Costco trip once a week or so to save money. These are geezerly couples with no kids at home. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Often those "senseless" trips once a week are their outings. Many won't have your resources and will make the most of what they're spending for gas, etc.
Here 30 miles north of Atlanta gas stations closed and banks closed .The grocery stores are empty and the wonderful thugs have broken into Walmart and stole the beer and smokes and pills .All it will take is for blacks to start rioting and burning down their own houses and looting some ot will be the end of the world as we know it .
Which gas stations? Just the little independently owned ones? I called the state patrol and they are not closing the Interstate highways and credit cards usually work after hours in a lot of places even if the main building is closed.
Slumlord! You gonna love this!

I can’t eat ice cream. Man it hurts my teeth bad!!! Like that Marathon Man scene “Is it safe?" Like chewin’ aluminum foil balls!!! Murder!!!

But in reality, I don’t crave or miss it.
My personal favorite is the liberal insane Dem's adding money to a bill that was supposed to help workers who lost their job because of the virus. Whats the added money for, one of their biggest lies, women's health care. Yup, abortions, lets take tax payer money and give it to them to fund abortions. I thought the money was supposed to be for saving lives? Insanity, pure insanity.

If they want to do that it least do some preventative maintenance for those that lack self control and in the year 2020 ain't smart enough to figure out how to keep from getting pregnant. Give those selfish life takers a free hysterectomy. It is kind of like capital punishment, stops them from repeating and in the long run saves lives.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Slumlord! You gonna love this!

I can’t eat ice cream. Man it hurts my teeth bad!!! Like that Marathon Man scene “Is it safe?" Like chewin’ aluminum foil balls!!! Murder!!!

But in reality, I don’t crave or miss it.

The caramel pie would be torture. 😃
Guarantee there's a crap ton of pissed off future rap artists who are itching to get out and buy rims and jewelry.
I just got back from buying a schit load of nylon string and paper clips. All the other dumb asses were just walking right on by them... apparently I’m the only one that ever watched McGiver.
Originally Posted by dgr416
Here 30 miles north of Atlanta gas stations closed and banks closed .The grocery stores are empty and the wonderful thugs have broken into Walmart and stole the beer and smokes and pills .All it will take is for blacks to start rioting and burning down their own houses and looting some ot will be the end of the world as we know it .

That's the second time you've posted that and nobody believed you the first time, either.
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
Between my son and I we have 70,000+ rounds of Federal copper hp 40 gr maybe more. Why, cause his boys burn a brick every time they visit me. I buy a 5 thousand at a time when they are on sale. Fun to watch those twin 12 year olds load mags...1 loads a 25 round mag as the other shoots the race is to see if the loader gets done before the shooter...they are pretty fast at loading mags they start with 8 twenty five round mags and almost always keep up a steady fire unless one of the 10\22s jams.

Maybe you should teach them to aim and not just do mag dumps...just saying...
People are thinking about how bad things could be and preparing for it.
Hey-- if you do not have food and water-- ya don't need much toilet paper!
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by 1bigdude

Maybe you should teach them to aim and not just do mag dumps...just saying...

And teach them to snake those bores and clean those rifles.

Any clarification you can offer here?

You were a real wise ass when I joined this site, how bout now?

Items still on shelves after the sell by date are disposed of. Ice cream and pizza don't easily spoil

normally I try to ignore people like you
Posted By: las Re: Purchases I don't understand - 03/26/20
They all mistook the Zombie movies for documentaries.
Went to the pharmacy today to pick up a script for myself dude in front of me in line had a CASE of 120 condoms! That lucky dog must be planning some quarantine!!
i ventured out of the yard today for the first time in almost two weeks. i took one for the team and did a walmart run. doing some cooking this weekend so went to get flour. two bags left. want to make bean soup. maybe 5 bags left. lots of empty shelves but i don't know what goes there. there were more people stocking shelves than shopping.

i use distilled water for making beer and walmart has a refill station where you bring your own jugs and fill them for 39 cents. i have 15 empty jugs so i brought them all so i wouldn't need to venture out again for a while. felt like a tool with all that water thinking that people think i'm an idiot. but then i remembered i don't give a schit what people think and felt better.
Our Walmart was a bit short on flour. Mos[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]t everything else was in good supply save the regular toilet paper section,
This was plentiful, no one seemed to want to pay for it.
Originally Posted by jdunham
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Not true, the gluten free pizzas are still fully stocked. LOL!

So are the vegan pizzas.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Wtf do you need with a freezer in Wisconsin? Can't you just throw your stuff out in a snowbank?

Maybe if I were in Northern Wisconsin...I'm in the driftless area, sw corner.
"Mad rush to buy Guns and ammo, hell, people are trying not to die, not rampaging through neighborhoods..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2w9X_tHU7k
Didn't read the thread. Not sure what it hurts to have suplies ahead?Doesn't everyone have ammo and reloading supplies ahead? Prepare for what's at hand, whatever the circumstances warrant.
This is all media-driven fear.... All of it..
I can't help bur notice that the closer I get to a city the more panicked people become. It makes sense I suppose, the virus is going to be a lot more active in places people are crammed together. Out here in the boondocks it's hard to tell there's anything unusual going on, people are pretty much doing what they always have. The local Dollar General does have a sign on the door limiting people to two packs of toilet paper and two bottles of hand sanitizer but otherwise it's ops normal. As it is now this disease is affecting the urban, democrat controlled areas a lot more than those of us in the sane areas of the country.
© 24hourcampfire