Home
Posted By: RockyRaab Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
Just a reminder of what day of the week it is. In case cabin fever has you unsure.

No virus here, and no chance of picking one up unless it's while grocery shopping. Wife and I had a serious talk, nonetheless. We've promised each other that if we get seriously sick with this, neither of us wants a ventilator.

And on that happy note, I think I'll whomp up a nice bowl of cheesy grits this morning, then either go golfing between rain showers or hit the dreadmill yet again. To work off the cheesy grits, doncha know?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
Good morning Rock, I'm too lazy to type Y.

I'll put up the dove with an olive branch picture I sent on email to daughters as a good morning wish. Tings will improve.[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
Good morning, don’t go to work until Wednesday.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
Good morning. Starting back up at work after moving and working on the new place for a couple weeks. Pretty isolated in the excavator. Helper and I will drive seperate trucks to job. Traffic is back to 1960's levels!
Posted By: Romulus Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
Good day all, I am pretty much living my best life and I practice social distancing but do my best to eat, have great family time.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
Good Monday morning all. The wife and I are staying at home all we can. We made one trip to a restaurant to pick up some food. They brought it to our car. I have to go to the post office and bank today. May stop at the grocery to pick up a few items but that will be about it.
We began looking for some yeast a while back since there was no bread at he grocery store. There was no yeast either. So, my wife began a sourdough starter. We will bake our first loaf today. A bonus was we made sourdough waffles this morning. I need to go on a walk today in order to work those off.
Posted By: nealglen37 Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB2yiIoEtXw
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20

somebody say 'social distancing' ?

purty easy for me to do that here.......

me & a bud last week.....picking a day this week to go again

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
Good morning, Rock! I was just thinking about ya!

I downloaded a book called "Da Nang Diary" by a guy named Tom Yarborough a while back and started reading it last week, since I've finished your books and just about every other Viet Nam aviation book I have hanging around here. Anyways, Yarborough's book is a pretty good tale of his experiences as a Prairie Fire Covey pilot in 1970. It's a good read, even though he cheated and flew an OV10 rather than an Oscar Deuce.

I'm enjoying it with a cup of strong black coffee right now. Gonna put some shoes on and walk a dog or two here in a few minutes. Enjoy your pursuit of tiny white balls with crooked sticks today.
Good morning to you good Doctor, this coffee shop has gotten so exclusive you won't be lettin' an overaged Iowa farm boy it. laugh
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
Good morning,
Glad to hear that all are wise, well and pumping out CO2 with every breath.
It's spring and the trees need it to get those leaves going.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
Good morning all!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
Doc, yes indeed. Tom (a really nice guy, btw) and the rest of the Covey pilots worked some hairy things in support of our Special Ops troops in places where we weren't. It's basically the same job we did, except with US teams, and for some oddball reason I'll never understand, our mission was much more covert and disavowed than theirs. Then again, little to nothing about that war was rational or made sense.

If you or anyone else would like to read hundreds of FAC stories, written by the FACs themselves, there are two massive volumes titled "Cleared Hot" that were assembled by a couple of very ambitious guys belonging to the Forward Air Controllers Association. Link to Volume One is HERE and Volume Two is HERE

I just discovered that there is a volume three that I didn't know about, and will order for myself this very day. HERE All three are also available as ebooks.

That's something like 750 "There I was when..." stories. Coveys, Nails, Tums, and many many more.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
RockyRaab: I say "both of you, reconsider"!
The use of a ventilator would enhance your chances of survival greatly should you become ill with the Wuhan Red Death Virus - and life is precious and worth saving (struggling for).
I know I would appreciate and put to good use a few hundred (maybe a few thousand?) more days of life should I soon be stricken with the dreaded Wuhan Red Death Virus!
Even though I am nearly 73 years of age I think I have some (a lot!) to offer my family, friends and community in the future.
Yeah I'm NOT ready to give up on my life's journey any time soon.
I will say this as well, my conscience is clear, my affairs are in order and I have had a wonderful and rewarding life - if I were to decease tomorrow I would have NO regrets.
Its a good feeling to be at ease with ones conscience and life history.
Long ago I decided that the essence of humanity is "struggle"! Not wealth, not happiness, not peace on earth but the struggle is what has made humans so strong and so successful for so long,
I say keep on strugglin!
Enjoy your Monday, and a thousand more!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Morewood Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
Good morning!

Last night the neighbor was yelling at her kids so loud even I brushed my teeth and went to bed.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
Hey, Rocky, I have book entitiled "Green Hornets: The History of the U.S. Air Force 20th Special Operations", they flew UH1 Hueys mostly out of Ban Me Thuet , IIRC , in support of of SOG forces. Did you have any contact with these guys?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
Beautiful day here. Did some banking (drive-up only) and got a few things from the grocery store. They even had toilet paper on the shelves - didn't get any, we always have plenty on hand. Raked up sticks from the yard. We have a large linden tree that my mother had planted years ago. I just realized how lucky I am to have it - if I didn't, I would have to pay someone to haul loads of sticks to my yard and scatter them around. Hauled sticks and other yard material to the recycle pile in town. Started up the JD rider - fired right off. Good day.
John, and as this is mostly a good cheer thread, We met a log truck in north Minnesota, one with the log grappler.

He had a sign on the front, "Pick up sticks".
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
What's good about all this?...grumble...gripe...snivel...

The Paiute Tribe closed down fishing at Pyramid lake, and I don't need to load any more friggin ammo.

Used to be I had "I need to go fishing today" as an excuse to get out of honeydoos.

LOL...The wife just stuck her head into my man-cave and said "I need your help".

See?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
Originally Posted by luv2safari
What's good about all this...grumble...gripe...snivel...

The Paiute Tribe closed down fishing at Pyramid lake, and I don't need to load any more friggin ammo.

Used to be I had "I need to go fishing today" as an excuse to get out of honeydoos.

LOL...The wife just stuck her head into my man-cave and said "I need your help".

See?

Around here, instead of "I need your help", it's always "WE need to ...." For years and years I erroneously taught my students that "we" was plural, only to find out in retirement that it is apparently singular.
Posted By: shootem Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Just a reminder of what day of the week it is. In case cabin fever has you unsure.

No virus here, and no chance of picking one up unless it's while grocery shopping. Wife and I had a serious talk, nonetheless. We've promised each other that if we get seriously sick with this, neither of us wants a ventilator.

And on that happy note, I think I'll whomp up a nice bowl of cheesy grits this morning, then either go golfing between rain showers or hit the dreadmill yet again. To work off the cheesy grits, doncha know?

"Ventilator" in newspeak terminology covers a lot of territory. It can be invasive(intubated) or non-invasive(Cpap) and a lot of stuff in between. You're not necessarily going to turn green and wilt because you're receiving mechanical ventilation. It isn't done just as a What the Hell We've Tried Everything Else endeavor. Many many cases are to give your body needed rest and proper oxygenation temporarily. I dealt professionally with vents (service, sales, and training) for 20+ years have seen the worst and the best cases. Wife (a nurse) and I have a similar pact that extends to our adult children. If it is used to recover a worthwhile and enjoyable life then by all means proceed. And keep the control panel within my reach smile. If it does nothing but prolong dying then let me fly. We're both good with that. I don't want to be another interesting case on Papa Doc's morning rounds with the Residents and neither does she.

But as always news heads can, and most times do, talk just as long on subjects they know little about as they do on issues they understand. Stay safe and ask questions.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by luv2safari
What's good about all this...grumble...gripe...snivel...

See?

Around here, instead of "I need your help", it's always "WE need to ...." For years and years I erroneously taught my students that "we" was plural, only to find out in retirement that it is apparently singular.

It took years, but WE figured it out...we husbands...
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
Originally Posted by shootem
.... If it is used to recover a worthwhile and enjoyable life then by all means proceed. And keep the control panel within my reach smile. If it does nothing but prolong dying then let me fly. We're both good with that. I don't want to be another interesting case on Papa Doc's morning rounds with the Residents and neither does she. ...

Just emailed this to a couple of special people in my life.

Thank you,
Ted
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Good Monday, all - 03/30/20
York, my contact with the Horny Greenits of the 20th was daily. Sometimes twice. And on a day when I hadn't been shot at enough recently, I took a hop with them as door gunner. Just to keep the adrenaline level of my blood up to nuff.

It worked.

Small world Dept: there's a 20th SOS Green Hornet pilot living a block from me. He was at BMT the year before me, but we know all the same stuff.
Posted By: shootem Re: Good Monday, all - 03/31/20
Sometimes God answers prayers you haven't even thought up yet. It's a blessing to me if it's a blessing to them. I know I'm not the prototypical Christian but still I'm saved by grace. My favorite passage in the New Testament is one of the main reasons I and my wife can say and believe what I wrote above. It comes from John 14. Jesus said: "In my Father's house there are many mansions. If it were not so I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go to prepare a place for you I will come again to receive you unto myself, that where I am there you may be also". That's a clear message to believers that our bodies are a temporary abode for our spirit. One day our spirits will have a new dwelling and we will be with Jesus forever. God bless your special people.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Good Monday, all - 03/31/20
I love these morning coffee threads that stretch on all day. Thank you all for being gentlemen and not afraid of letting your faith hang out.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Good Monday, all - 03/31/20
day started out very busy and I missed the greeting post - but thanks for that. It was a good and productive day - and beautiful weather to top that off. A good friend was riding his horse over several sections today to see what is up with the cattle - and I sorely wanted to ride with him - but not in the cards. Now I need to call and find out how it went.
© 24hourcampfire