Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Brave browser - 04/09/20
It came as an add-on when I bought this Win 10 computer. I hadn't tried it before so this last week I've been trying it out. On 24Hr, I see a bunch of blank spots where there could be ads. It has a built in ad blocker that hasn't let a single one in yet.
When I first opened it, it automatically picked up all my bookmarks and other settings from Chrome. The only thing it doesn't seem to have imported is the recently used passwords.

Wikipedia had this about it:
Brave
Web browser
Description Brave is a free and open-source web browser developed by Brave Software, Inc. based on the Chromium web browser. It blocks ads and website trackers, and provides a way for users to send cryptocurrency contributions in the form of Basic Attention Tokens to websites and content creators. Wikipedia

If you're needing a new browser, it's one to look at.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Brave browser - 04/09/20
I use it for both win10 and IOS.
Posted By: NTG Re: Brave browser - 04/09/20
I'm a user. Wish my work would let me us it.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Brave browser - 04/09/20
Thanks,

sounds like an idea for the new computer I'm going to get.......................someday.

Will it work on Win7?

Geno
Posted By: jpb Re: Brave browser - 04/09/20
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Thanks,

sounds like an idea for the new computer I'm going to get.......................someday.

Will it work on Win7?

Geno

Hi Geno

Yes, it works just fine on Windows 7 Download link

Download it and install it but you don't have to use it as your only browser so it is easy to test -- no commitment needed. :-)

Just import the favorites from your existing browser and give it a try.

Later, you can make it your default browser if you like it.

John
Posted By: DHN Re: Brave browser - 04/09/20
I've been using it for about three weeks, very satisfied.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Brave browser - 04/09/20
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

did you have any issues setting it up on iOS?
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Brave browser - 04/09/20
I've been using it for a couple of months. I started using it mostly to cut ties with browsers like Firefox, which tracks my history. Also dumped google and went with Duck duck go as my search engine for the same reason.

I've been very happy with Brave's adblocking here at the fire. The popups and ads used to be enough to make me log off.
Posted By: OldHat Re: Brave browser - 06/19/20
I stick with Firefox with the following open source extensions:
uBlock Origin (very good ad blocker)
HTTPS Everywhere (As much encryption as is possible)
Privacy Badger (anti tracking)
NoScript (allows script controls per site, you have to know what you are doing)
duckduckgo

Non of this provides full privacy and NO anonymity. All browsers sooner or later will succumb to the mob no matter what they say. They are businesses.

Despite the video below I still use duckduckgo because it is the best alternative at the moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wePMUqnBn0
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Brave browser - 06/19/20
There's a difference between keeping your history/cookies and with reporting telemetry. The latter forwards your browsing reports to - somebody - for marketing purposes. Merely recording your history/cookies on your machine is for your convenience and doesn't go anywhere else. Unless you get hacked, of course.

Firefox does not do reporting telemetry.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Brave browser - 06/19/20
If you want to learn how evil Microsoft has become, watch this...

Posted By: OldHat Re: Brave browser - 06/19/20
I'm absolutely done with Microsoft. They will not get another dime. I just put together a replacement running xubuntu for a personal machine. Excellent.

For some people dumping Microsoft is probably not possible. But if at all possible Linux is a far better choice.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Brave browser - 06/19/20
Tried Brave Browser and got rid of it because they lie.

https://www.technewsworld.com/story/Brave-Browser-Caught-Redirecting-URLs-for-Cash-86701.html

A browser that has received plaudits for privacy protection has been exposed for redirecting Web searches to make money.

Brave, a browser with some 15 million monthly users, has been redirecting searches for cryptocurrency companies to links that produce revenue for the browser's owners through advertising affiliate programs.

Twitter user Yannick Eckl, aka "cryptonator 1337," on Saturday revealed that when he searched for Binance, a cryptocurrency exchange, he was redirected to an affiliate version of the URL that profited Brave.

The controversy grew when Larry Cermak, director of research at The Block, a research, analysis and news brand in the digital asset space, began digging into Brave's code on GitHub. He uncovered more redirects to another cryptocurrency exchange, Coinbase, and two cryptocurrency wallet sites, Ledger and Trezor.

Brave's autocompletion of a URL to include a referrer link may be a bit dodgy.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/brave-browser-autocompleting-websites-referral-191422067.html

Privacy-focused browser Brave was found to autocomplete several websites and keywords in its address bar with an affiliate code.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Brave browser - 06/19/20
Originally Posted by OldHat
I'm absolutely done with Microsoft. They will not get another dime. I just put together a replacement running xubuntu for a personal machine. Excellent.

For some people dumping Microsoft is probably not possible. But if at all possible Linux is a far better choice.

I'm retiring in a few months, I already use linux at home and can't wait to be done with Micro$oft. My job is connecting devices in various office environments and Gates crowd constantly screws us up. I may keep a virtual windows install for odd crap that just has to run on it.
Good riddance I say.
Posted By: nmitchell Re: Brave browser - 06/19/20
tag
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Brave browser - 06/19/20
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Any issues getting it to work on IOS?
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: Brave browser - 06/19/20
My work computer is MS Win10, as is my wife's laptop (drivers for a funky bit of equipment she uses not available in linux).

My personal machine and the kids' machines: all used/off-lease business-class laptops(1) I loaded with Linux Mint using the xfce desktop. Mint is easy-peasy and ready to roll out of the install. Web surfing, office work (libre office), audio-visual & suchlike, all included. Kids have no complaints.

I did have to seek out emacs and install that using the GUI tool.

(1) Lenovo Thinkpad E531. Got four of them for $150.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Brave browser - 06/20/20
I've found that while Brave is built from Chrome, it's just different enough that some websites won't run with Brave. I had a go-round today with my wife's account on Tracfone's site. I couldn't get anything to work right. Verizon is another one that has some glitches with Brave. I discovered sort of by accident that if I switched to Chrome, everything works great. I wasted a couple hours on that Tracfone one.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Brave browser - 06/20/20

I have been using Brave browser for a while and generally have few issues, that said it does occasionally lock up the computer which forces me to reboot.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Brave browser - 02/02/21
I think this was the first thread I read about the Brave browser. Brave kept crashing on me with Windows 10, so I canned it.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Brave browser - 02/02/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It came as an add-on when I bought this Win 10 computer. I hadn't tried it before so this last week I've been trying it out. On 24Hr, I see a bunch of blank spots where there could be ads. It has a built in ad blocker that hasn't let a single one in yet.
When I first opened it, it automatically picked up all my bookmarks and other settings from Chrome. The only thing it doesn't seem to have imported is the recently used passwords.

For what it's worth, Brave has an ads credit agent built into it that reports back to whoever. It's up to each person to decide for themselves if they think this is spyware, but it throws up a red flag for me.

If you want to get rid of those blank spots and the wasted space on your screen, turn off the built-in ad blocker and install the U-block Origin extension. It has the ability to get rid of the placeholders from removed ads.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Brave browser - 02/02/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Thanks,

Will it work on Win7?

Geno

Have a look at dissenter.com
I think it's by the same people but targeted at 64bit installations.
© 24hourcampfire