Home
With people social distancing and most gyms shut down, what are you doing for exercise these days?

Thanks, RS
Climbin’ and hikin’.
Going to give TRX suspension a go. Used it as a part of my routine when the gym was open. Now going to rely on it for everything and see how it goes.
Amazon logistics = 8k calorie burn above MBR and about 25 miles walked weekly. Figure I’m lifting about 5k lbs a shift x 5 days a week. Will do this until other gig comes back.

Pushing iron as well as a rowing machine at home. Deadlift has stalled though, due to above. Other lifts progress.

Gonna come out of April a couple pounds lighter and a couple percent body fat lower than I did going in.

Oh, will also do a light hike with my boys daily when they’re with me. ‘Bout an hour on pretty flat terrain. More for fresh air than exercise.
Splitting and stacking wood.
I have a tread mill and weight machine in my basement. Have used them 5-6 times a week for many years, including this morning.
It never made sense to me to pay a membership, and have to drive to an exercise place to work out.
I’m out of bed, stretching, exercising and in the shower in 45 minutes.
Working
National Forest is still open. "Exercise" and gun ranges are essential.

I like to get my exercise walking to the 100 yards line to check my groups, or better yet the 200 yard line when all the pussy boomers that insist you must drive past the 100 yard line a huddled in wife's sewing rooms.
Hiking, running, carrying a pack. Pushups sit-ups.
Originally Posted by jdunham

According to one study I read, this is considered the single best exercise there is for a man.
I have a purpose built weight room here at home, and 32 acres (including 21 beehives) to take care of. Getting exercise is not a problem.
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Working

This
Home gym, miles of BLM and FS land to hike on every other day. We have Alexa notify us every hour to get up and stretch, swing kettlebells, air squats, crunches etc. for about 5 minutes.

mike r
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
I am getting in regular 30+ mile bicycle rides and doing work at the camp.
Three rounds of golf a week, walking and pushing a club cart. Whole body workout, fresh air, sun, and I get to exercise my blue vocabulary!
I watched African Queen, Maltese Falcon, and Casablanca yesterday without getting up except for pee breaks.

Accomplishment.
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Originally Posted by efw
I watched African Queen, Maltese Falcon, and Casablanca yesterday without getting up except for pee breaks.

Accomplishment.

Ok, Boomer.
I'm opening and closing the refrigerator exclusively with my left hand and arm as physical therapy for my severely damaged left shoulder.

...reminds me...need to re-stock it with Mich Ultra.
Me and Wifey walking about 12 miles a week.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

According to one study I read, this is considered the single best exercise there is for a man.

That would be with a maul and not a machine, right?

Geno
Same as I always do. Weights at home, running on the street. Pound it out on the wifey for a little extra cardio...
Taking 3+ mile walks daily along with using dumbbells at home. Since the shoulder replacements, 15lb dumbbells is it, so lots of reps.
Pushups and luvvin...I was all headed for a bit of a test of my bench press at 65 (27 April), but that ain't happening. All said and done, a month or so off will probably let me heal up a bit. I haven't taken this much time off for over 20 years.
Originally Posted by efw

Accomplishment.

Yep. Been exercising my fingers on the Remote Control.

We’re all gonna die anyways, according to the Eggspurts. 😜

Interesting, been same here. Put up 3 cords of Oak the last basically 12 hours of work.

We've never found the need for a gym. Though we do own a high buck treadmill and a few other things. Would hate having to be around all those people to start with.
Bicycling 20+ miles 2-3 times week and walking 2-6 miles.
No change for me as I train at home. Without the drive to work I am getting a lot more farm related exercise....probably getting more exercise overall than normal. On the other hand, I'm eating like an honorary Klump family member so I'm not losing any weight.....
Open the container of Blue Bell with my right hand on even numbered days and open it with my left hand on odd numbered days. It's brutal. Feel the burn.
Before the plague hit, my wife and I would go,to the local YMCA 5 days a week. I had to set my home workout area back up. Schwinn Airdyne bike for 30 minutes, then push ups, dumbbell work (Hammer curls, bicep curls, and lateral raises), then forearm work with a writs roller I made out of PVC pipe and some rope. Usually do this Monday-Wednesday-Friday.

Ron
working from home now; I am going to drop my kayak in the river (less than 1 mile away) and paddle when the tide is right. call it a long lunch, maybe, lol,,,,
Into a routine, bike 40 miles one day, hike 2hrs rough terrain with the dogs the other. The mornings are mine, afternoon/evening online working. No TV makes it easier.

The dogs are disappointed the days we don't hike.
I go up to my local VA and use their outdoor walking track.
I am done cutting , splitting and stacking about 3 cords . I finished yesterday . I will continue to work 25 yrs a week and will start spring scouting in the marsh. Tough walking . When it greens up I will start fishing. I have a 20yd bow range in my basement and do some pushup, sit-ups and some arm excersizes to strengthen my arms for bow hunting.
Got a new weight machine, need to start using it.

Then I 'm getting the best excerise! Cut , split and stacked two truck loads since Wednesday! Walking and climbing the hill across the road. 1400 ft in about half a mile. It works my 69 year old lungs, just getting to the top! I used to run it but that stopped about age 58 or 59. The knees dont like the downhill run anymore!
Weights and walking the dogs.

I've never been one, as an adult, that could consistently self-motivate for excercise, so I am a group class fan, spinning, HIIT, stretching, sometimes some weigths after the class. All that's gone

We've been trying to hike/walk, but weather beaten that down (-2 right now with a new 6 inches of snow, and that's NOT in the mountains). Started fishing.

Also wife and I now take turn designed full body HIIT and/or Tabatta classes. Not as long/intense, but do it 3 times a week to break a sweat, get cardio up. Take bike rides (if it ever stays warm enough), golf course just opened, so maybe when this last (hopefully cold snap leaves).

There are TONS of youtube workouts to find as well, but I miss spinning the most.
I have a gym at home and now my BMI is about 2% because I’m hard at it. I would usually go to the gyms on base to socialize and half ass workout.
Some weights, exercise bike, push ups and a hike once or twice a week. Not much of a change.
Originally Posted by RipSnort
With people social distancing and most gyms shut down, what are you doing for exercise these days?

Thanks, RS

Plenty to do here in the spring. Gardens, yard work, fencing, maintenance on 2 campers, 3 vehicles, 1 tractor, 2 lawn mowers, 3 at/utv’s, maybe some pm work on the boat.....other than that, pretty are pretty slow here! memtb
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I have a gym at home and now my BMI is about 2% because I’m hard at it. I would usually go to the gyms on base to socialize and half ass workout.

That is an interesting BMI, congratulations.

mike r
Cutting, splitting and stacking wood.
Going on long walks.
Chasing my German Shorthair puppy around the yard and house yelling 'no!', 'don't eat that!', 'get off of that!' and 'come back here!'

I believe it! One of my favorite stress relievers and you can look at your progress when you are done and see an accomplishment.
I've lost weight. Turkey season opened March 21 and I've been hitting the woods on public land about 3 days/week. I do about a 5 mile loop on old logging roads with a lot of elevation loss and gain. I've got a couple pretty well patterned and feel good about getting one late in the season after the hens are on nests. When not hunting it is a 1.5 mile loop through my neighborhood and none is level. Been doing 2-3 laps most days.

I also had 4 trees between a neighbors fence and my storage building that I've been wanting to cut. When my neighbor told me that he had a contractor lined up to replace the fence as soon as the weather breaks I decided now was the time. Using the winch on my truck I managed to get them down with no damage. I have them cut up, but am taking my time splitting the wood by hand.

I've got a few more projects around the house that should keep me busy for a little longer. Plus turkey season goes till May 15. Hopefully this will be over by then.
Indoor bike three days a week. Walking the lab two days a week.

Exercising the brain with books, I have lost track of the number of books I have read in the last six weeks. I need to dig out my copy of Hell I WasThere and reread it for about the fifth or sixth time...

Once the Idaho winds die off a bit it will be time to walk back and forth to the 100 & 200 yard targets!
I started running again, since I cant use the treadmills on post. It sure aint the same, thats fo sho. Doing pushups and using things around the house as weights. I have lost muscle, but running is starting to feel good again.
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco

That is an interesting BMI, congratulations.

mike r

Well....interesting is one way to describe it.... With a BMI of 2 he's been dead a while. Less than 18.5 is considered dangerously low.
I've been sawing up blow-downs and trees I don't want on my 100 acre forest. A guy up the road sells 65-70 cords of firewood a year, so I've been supplying him about 2 pickup truck loads of rounds every day. He'll split, stack and sell it this Fall, and we split the $$$. Great workout for me, and It's nice and quiet in the wood by myself.
2% body fat, maybe?
Hiking and Cross country skiing still winter here in Alaska have to wear ice cleats to hike.
I do a 5 mile walk every day during the Great Scamdemic of 2020. Normally I hit Planet Fitness but it is all shut down for the time being.
20# dumbells with more reps than I do with heavier weights to keep the total weight moved the same, pull-up bar installed in the garage, core exercises, martial arts, biking, dog walking. Just keepin' on keepin' on.
© 24hourcampfire