Home
Posted By: wabigoon I Miss Live Church. - 04/12/20
If anyone cares to we can do a bit right here.

This is a bit different, but i's a joyful noise unto the Lord.
I hear you brother.

We all have to make sacrifices in these trying times.

At least we are not being asked to crew B-24's over Germany.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/12/20
Posted By: hanco Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/12/20
Me too, we miss it terribly
Post a song David.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/12/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon

This works for me.
Posted By: deflave Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/12/20
Think of all the people on the front lines and in the trenches.
Originally Posted by deflave

Such as yourself? How many idiots do you have to contact each day?

We like to joke about you being immune, but be safe down there. This shìt doesn't respect your hero status.
Posted By: Quak Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/12/20
I miss church terribly too. This has been pretty scary for us...I never thought in a million years I’d see something like this
Posted By: EdM Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/12/20
Zero religion with me but my youngest son and his fiance do miss it. She is napping upstairs and he is sitting out by the pool with an ice chest of beer, his dog, his guitar and his bible. He just rotates from one to the next to the next.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/12/20
I Miss Live Church.

This takes on a whole 'nother level when you have the Real Presence at church.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/12/20
Originally Posted by EdM
Zero religion with me but my youngest son and his fiance do miss it. She is napping upstairs and he is sitting out by the pool with an ice chest of beer, his dog, his guitar and his bible. He just rotates from one to the next to the next.

Well at least he’s consistent. Us Aggies are like that! 🤠
Posted By: renegade50 Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/12/20
Some religions have women preachers ?????

Huh??????
Learn something new everyday.
They let LGBTQ,s in em now too????

LOL!!!!

Benjamins!!!!!!
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/12/20
We miss Sunday School too, big time. We just got back from placing flowers on the cross outside church. Lots of folks beat us there! smile. It looked great!
I'd like this framed on the wall. In hard times remember this. [img]https://benziher.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/7345860658_afe7d13cb7_z_thumb.jpg?w=1028&h=687[/img]

It looks like you will need to click on the link, sorry.
Posted By: deflave Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/12/20
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

We like to joke about you being immune, but be safe down there. This shìt doesn't respect your hero status.

A lot of people take themselves way too seriously.

You pays your dues and you takes your chances. There are plenty of things out there more deadly than The Corona.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/12/20

My Church in Utah........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A lot of people take themselves way too seriously.

You pays your dues and you takes your chances. There are plenty of things out there more deadly than The Corona.

On a per occurrence basis that may be true, but this stuff may be more common than we think.

Stay safe down there. Fubar might loose his shìt if the Corona got you.
Posted By: Hastings Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/12/20
I wonder if tithes and offerings are down? Jimmy Swaggart's wife was on the radio yesterday exhorting folks to pay up.
Just done talking to my son in law, he was out clearing the county roads today.

I'm sure many churches are in a crunch with money. The bills still come in.

As to God's wonderful outdoors, as I understand it, Jesus preached many sermons with no roof.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/13/20

As to God's wonderful outdoors, as I understand it, Jesus preached many sermons with no roof.

Amen......
Posted By: tikkanut Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/13/20

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: rost495 Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/13/20
I hear you brother.

We all have to make sacrifices in these trying times.

At least we are not being asked to crew B-24's over Germany.

Thank you. Thank you for thinking like I do. The whining is getting old.

That said I don't miss people or face to face church etc.... I do miss our best friends but I can deal with that. Heck I miss my wife for months at a time too.

People are generally over rated.

Now tell me no dog... you likely may not survive the statement. LOL
Posted By: wabigoon Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/13/20
Posted By: 5sdad Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/13/20

Posted By: xxclaro Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/13/20
I felt bad about it as a kid,but I always hated going to church. I suspect our church was exceptionally boring though.
Thank you all good folks, let us hope, and pray with the help, of the Lord above we get through this time of trial.

Thanks again.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/13/20
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I felt bad about it as a kid,but I always hated going to church. I suspect our church was exceptionally boring though.
For better or worse, church isn't about entertaining the flock. It's about offering sacrifice to God.
Posted By: deflave Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/13/20
Originally Posted by Tyrone
For better or worse, church isn't about entertaining the flock. It's about offering sacrifice to God.

Well it certainly achieves the sacrifice moniker.

I'd rather break glass with my face.
Posted By: efw Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/13/20
I Miss Live Church.

This takes on a whole 'nother level when you have the Real Presence at church.

Genuine question for you based not only upon your comment here but upon a conversation I’ve had w/ a good friend.

Does a church’s doctrinal belief (whether formal or informal) on the matter of true/real/actual/physical/spiritual/non presence have any bearing upon whether, in their actual doing of the sacrament (or ordinance as some prefer) there is in fact a real presence?

That is, if God said the presence of our Lord is real when the sacrament is observed doesn’t that make it so whether the particular group participating recognize it or not?

Or does something in (or absent from) some groups’ observance(s) negate that declaration/promise?

Not trying to be argumentative at all; genuine question that I’ve been debating with a friend of mine & interested in your thoughts.

Grace & peace to you all,

Efw
I believe that a person's relationship with God is very personal. There are many things which may be of help to each person on an individual basis. Some things may help one person, but not another.
Thanks all, even just thinking it helps a lot.
Good question EFW.
The person performing the sacrifice has to possess the authority to do so through Apostolic Succession otherwise it's just crackers and grape squeezings. Simplified, the church had to be founded by one of the Apostles. So IIRC, that's RC, Orthodox, Maronite, Coptic, and probably a couple more I'm forgetting.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/13/20

The Lord will provide...Have faith.

😎
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/13/20

😂😎
In the OT, the authority to perform sacrifices of the priesthood was passed along hereditarily through the Levites from the authority of God through Moses. Jesus opened up the priesthood to all nations through the authority of His Church. He did this by passing his authority to the apostles, clearly breaking the hereditary line with the apostles, only one of which was a Levite.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/13/20
Good question EFW.
The person performing the sacrifice has to possess the authority to do so through Apostolic Succession otherwise it's just crackers and grape squeezings. Simplified, the church had to be founded by one of the Apostles. So IIRC, that's RC, Orthodox, Maronite, Coptic, and probably a couple more I'm forgetting.

So I went to church all those times for nothing? Damn, now I'm even more pissed about it!
Praising God is never in vain! smile LOL!

You'd find it more interesting if you actually put a modicum of thought into it and maybe... Gasp!... participated.
Posted By: antlers Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/13/20
Well I’ve been to churches that put me to sleep because they were so boring and so legalistic and so formal and so lifeless. They oughta make convicts sit through em’ as part of their punishment. I like an appealing setting, engaging communication, and helpful content. And I like really good live music and fog machines and colored lights; and I like warehouse type settings with folding chairs and conversational type sermons, where I can bring coffee or ice tea into the worship area during the service. Don’t care for natural light or stained glass or choirs or pews or robes being worn by the pastor. Informal, non-traditional, and laid-back as described above puts me WAY more in the mood to worship Jesus in a building.
We really need that sarcasm font.

I think there are people who seriously believe what you are describing is worship.
Every day, each year for over two thousand years, and the rest of time, always remember.[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Originally Posted by antlers
Well I’ve been to churches that put me to sleep because they were so boring and so legalistic and so formal and so lifeless. They oughta make convicts sit through em’ as part of their punishment. I like an appealing setting, engaging communication, and helpful content. And I like really good live music and fog machines and colored lights; and I like warehouse type settings with folding chairs and conversational type sermons, where I can bring coffee or ice tea into the worship area during the service. Don’t care for natural light or stained glass or choirs or pews or robes being worn by the pastor. Informal, non-traditional, and laid-back as described above puts me WAY more in the mood to worship Jesus in a building.

We really need that sarcasm font. I think there are people who seriously believe what you are describing is worship.
Well, the U.S. is steadily becoming less Christian and less religiously observant as the share of adults who are not religious grows. *In order to reach people that no one else is reaching, you’ve got to do things that no one else is doing*. Leading people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus is more easily done in a warm, friendly, casual environment (with high-energy worship music) than it is in a cold, unfriendly, formal environment (with boring worship services).

And the bills still come to all the folks that go to church too, whether they work or not.

I'd think it crass to push for more offerings right now. Its not like we don't know and do the best we can. Those kind of things aggravate me. Would be like my power folks and insurance agencies and so on that send me a monthly bill sending me EXTRA reminders I need to pay up..
I may be way off, I think the churches should stress the basic.

Sin separates man from God.

The wages of sin is death, eternal death.

God loves man, so much he gave His own Son to die on the cross to wash away our sine with His Holy Blood.

You'd find it more interesting if you actually put a modicum of thought into it and maybe... Gasp!... participated.

As tempting as it is to sing songs, give my money away, and be preached to, I'm afraid I am going to have to pass.

I hope you have fun though.

As tempting as it is to sing songs, give my money away, and be preached to, I'm afraid I am going to have to pass.

I hope you have fun though.

funny how folks that don't believe still tend to waste time with those that do.

Who let you out of jail? I thought that was BS.
Well, the U.S. is steadily becoming less Christian and less religiously observant as the share of adults who are not religious grows. *In order to reach people that no one else is reaching, you’ve got to do things that no one else is doing*. Leading people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus is more easily done in a warm, friendly, casual environment (with high-energy worship music) than it is in a cold, unfriendly, formal environment (with boring worship services).
I agree with a lot of that that, there is a place for entertainment, but it shouldn't be called a worship service. It's OK to have good music in worship. The problem with it, as practiced in the megachurches featuring popcorn & espresso especially, is that they never get beyond that and they never teach any of the harder teachings. It's all Dr. Feelgood BS. Really, aside from the divinity of Christ, most of it's very little different from what pagans believe(d).

The Catholic Church succumbed to a lot of that with Vatican II. It's been a disaster for devotion and attendance.
Originally Posted by rost495

funny how folks that don't believe still tend to waste time with those that do.

Who let you out of jail? I thought that was BS.

How can you not? Every time you turn around one of them is telling you that you're going to hell.

Rick set me free.
I agree with a lot of that that, there is a place for entertainment, but it shouldn't be called a worship service. It's OK to have good music in worship. The problem with it, as practiced in the megachurches featuring popcorn & espresso especially, is that they never get beyond that and they never teach any of the harder teachings. It's all Dr. Feelgood BS. Really, aside from the divinity of Christ, most of it's very little different from what pagans believe(d).
I agree with very little of what you’ve said here, in that, high-energy worship music can most definitely be part of a worship service. And having “popcorn & espresso” in no way negates teaching helpful and relevant content regarding following Jesus. To compare a mission ‘to lead people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus’ to “what pagans believe” and “Dr. Feelgood BS” is WAY off the mark. With attitudes like that, it’s no wonder that Christianity is on the decline in this country.

I certainly got no problem if others choose to worship Jesus in an environment that would put me to sleep. But some others clearly ‘do’ have a problem when some choose to worship Jesus in an irresistible environment as I described earlier.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/13/20
It is written: Make a joyful noise unto the LORD. This means you.

Content. In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads: But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. ... In praying, don't use vain repetitions, as the Gentiles do
Posted By: kingston Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/13/20
Originally Posted by jaguartx
It is written: Make a joyful noise unto the LORD. This means you.

Easter candy makes Nana gassy.
I'll pray right now. Lord Jesus, I want to pray for this country, Canada, as well, They need Your Help a much as ever.

I pray for the campfire members, and all the doctors, nurses, and all the health people working hard.

I thank you so much for all our Blessings.

In Your Name Lord.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/13/20
My church is similar to Tikka Nut's. I like it because of the absence of sanctimonious creeps who are on a 1st name basis w/ the big guy.

mike r
I'll pray right now. Lord Jesus, I want to pray for this country, Canada, as well, They need Your Help a much as ever.

I pray for the campfire members, and all the doctors, nurses, and all the health people working hard.

In Your Name Lord.

Help with what?
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Content. In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads: But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. ... In praying, don't use vain repetitions, as the Gentiles do
What does "vain" mean?

Is any repetition "vain"?
As I understand it Ty, to no purpose, for nothing, lose talk? I've never looked it up.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/13/20
I once had to go to a High Mass conducted by the Pope in St. Peter's. To my folks it was the experience of a lifetime and it was cool to see them so happy. For me it was almost 2 hours of standing up in a very cool place but essentially boring. I have felt pretty close to heaven in the mountains though.

We are not all the same.

mike r
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I once had to go to a High Mass conducted by the Pope in St. Peter's. To my folks it was the experience of a lifetime and it was cool to see them so happy. For me it was almost 2 hours of standing up in a very cool place but essentially boring. I have felt pretty close to heaven in the mountains though.

We are not all the same.

mike r

Did they have donuts and coffee in the lobby?
Posted By: Tyrone Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/14/20
That is a problem, Wabigoon my friend. As a catechist, it is one of my biggest challenges - getting people to pay attention to what they are saying and understanding what it's meaning is. When they do that, they don't act like Deflave.

In this case, everybody understands what repetition is - it's anything said more than once. For instance, saying "I love you" to your wife. Or "praise God" at church once a week or even just twice in a life time.

But what is vain? We all have a pretty good handle on what taking the Lord's name in vain is - cursing in the lord's name or blaspheming it. Vain is also idle and archaically as in the KJV of the Bible, foolish. Ancient pagans were known to drone on and on using nonsense words.

I see a lot of repetition in all worship - how could worship not be repeated? But I don't know of any modern Christian churches that promote vain repetition.

But I'm getting sidetracked. Thanks, Jag! laugh

Oh look, a squirrel!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/14/20
Thanks good folks, May God be with you until we meet again. This has been a pleasure.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/14/20

We are not all the same.

mike r

Did they have donuts and coffee in the lobby?

No but I had to wait for 2 more hours for the folks and Gma to enjoy the rapture of an audience w/ the guy w/ a funny hat. I hung out in the square looking at the girls and enjoying the Alfas and Ferraris. Viva Roma! My folks were so pumped my Dad sprung for a feast in a ristorante nest to the Tivoli Gardens, I may have seen god as I ate Chicken Angelo w/ Fettucine Alfredo.

mike r
Posted By: Quak Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/14/20

In Your Name Lord.

Thank your for the prayers...I needed them tonight. Been a tough day
Posted By: deflave Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/14/20
That is a problem, Wabigoon my friend. As a catechist, it is one of my biggest challenges - getting people to pay attention to what they are saying and understanding what it's meaning is. When they do that, they don't act like Deflave.

In this case, everybody understands what repetition is - it's anything said more than once. For instance, saying "I love you" to your wife. Or "praise God" at church once a week or even just twice in a life time.

But what is vain? We all have a pretty good handle on what taking the Lord's name in vain is - cursing in the lord's name or blaspheming it. Vain is also idle and archaically as in the KJV of the Bible, foolish. Ancient pagans were known to drone on and on using nonsense words.

I see a lot of repetition in all worship - how could worship not be repeated? But I don't know of any modern Christian churches that promote vain repetition.

But I'm getting sidetracked. Thanks, Jag! laugh

Oh look, a squirrel!

I must be on the right track because I never say any of that schit.
Thanks good folks, May God be with you until we meet again. This has been a pleasure.

If I had a nickel...

No but I had to wait for 2 more hours for the folks and Gma to enjoy the rapture of an audience w/ the guy w/ a funny hat. I hung out in the square looking at the girls and enjoying the Alfas and Ferraris. Viva Roma! My folks were so pumped my Dad sprung for a feast in a ristorante nest to the Tivoli Gardens, I may have seen god as I ate Chicken Angelo w/ Fettucine Alfredo.

mike r

That sound pretty sweet.

Sometimes my dad would give me a quarter and I'd walk around the block to the Sunoco. They had one of those M&M dispensers.

I remember eating those M&M's and thinking "Jesus Christ this sucks."
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/14/20
Thank you all good folks, let us hope, and pray with the help, of the Lord above we get through this time of trial.

Thanks again.

Thank YOU, Richard, for starting this thread!

My wife and I spend a good part of the day with the Lord, but miss the fellowship!

I hope you and yours are all well.

Ed
Posted By: jaguartx Re: I Miss Live Church. - 04/14/20
Glad to hear you are doing well, Ed. Thanks for the reply. Take care and GOD bless yall.
© 24hourcampfire