Home
Posted By: silver78 Car Price Predictions? - 04/16/20
Given the COVID situation, what do you think will happen to new car pricing over the next 6 months?
Also on the sell trade in side what will happen to the used car market?

Would you buy now or wait? Your thoughts are appreciated.
I'm hoping they bring back "Cash for Clunkers". I'm waiting.
Posted By: Teal Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/16/20
I don't know about pricing but terms to get people to buy will extend long before pricing falls. Pricing will fall AFTER they let you go 10 years, 0.0% APR through MFG credit machines.

Average term just as the shut down hit was over 70 months for the first time ever with the average note on a new sled being 34k.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/16/20
New vehicle prices will be at rock bottom. Car lots are full and nobody is buying.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/16/20

Before there are any real savings there will be all sorts of low interest rate/extended credit offerings that will get people to spend money before they are ready to and pay more in the long run.
Posted By: elkmtb Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/16/20
AS mentioned there is no where for prices to go. factory incentives are already at an all time high and interest rates 0% for 84 months. The dealers dont make much on cars. used cars might be another story,

The factorys are shut down right now so no inventory is not that full
Posted By: DMc Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/16/20
Have confidence in yourself. Get out there and make your own deal. A dealer with financial woes will be easier to beat down whether it's now or in 6 months.
Posted By: coobie Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/16/20
In the chitter with bank repos.0 % with 84 month financing.What a deal. eek
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/16/20
These current incentives aren't really any better than what we had in Nov/Dec but the 0% for 84 marketing helped keep the flow coming into the dealerships. I think there deals will continue to get better until we see people out working/earing in big numbers and with this hit to our economy, that might not be for quite awhile.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/16/20
New cars will resemble ventilators.
Posted By: hanco Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/16/20
Originally Posted by watch4bear
New cars will resemble ventilators.

Probably so!!!
Posted By: memtb Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/16/20

Wherever this ends up.....they would be much cheaper if the covid-19 mortality rate had been as bad as the media and the dems wanted! memtb
Yeah maybe they'll even throw in the paint protection and paper floor mats for free wink
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/16/20
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I'm hoping they bring back "Cash for Clunkers". I'm waiting.

Why so they can take the rest of the affordable, used and collectible cars off the market! Cash for clunkers was a scam! Now instead of people being able to buy a car they can work on, they have to pay someone with computers, to diagnose problems!
Posted By: Teal Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/16/20
That truecoat - they put that on at the factory, BUT let me see what I can do.....

Jerry Lundergard.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/16/20
The rental car company's are dumping an unusual amount of cars right now Enterprise just added 500 vehicles to their Tampa Florida for sale list when typically there would be more like 50.
Others may be doing the same, first of any deals I've taken note of.
At some point in time, I will replace my truck. The equivalent of what I have today is like $60k which is downright stupid. They would literally have to offer $15-20k in rebates or I'll just drive mine until the wheels fall off.
Posted By: Dess Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/16/20
I don't think prices will change much. Companies can keep production down to match demand. Car parts prices will increase as people fix rather than replace.
If this thing goes to bed in a few weeks should be ok. If not there are going to be a lot of repos which will ding the market especially the lease market and lease prices
Posted By: Boise Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/16/20
I was looking at new trucks before this all hit. I'm driving an 08 Tundra with 135K miles. Salesman comes up and asks me what's up? I tell him my Tundra has 135K and I'm looking to replace it. He tells me I'm being foolish that the dealership has lots of Tundras with over 250K and one with over 500K. I've decided to wait for the next generation Tundra. Rumor is they will have the Lexus motor as an option.
Posted By: 69sportfury Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/16/20
There's going to be a LOT more people upside down with all these extended payments and a lot of manufacturers offering no payments for 3-6 months.

If you're going to drive something till the wheels fall off, maybe it makes sense to pay for it over 6-7 years with % interest, but in reality if you can't pay for a car in 3 or maybe 4 years you can't afford it.

Trading in a vehicle the way some people do every few years and they're going to get their asses handed to them.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/17/20
Originally Posted by elkmtb
AS mentioned there is no where for prices to go. factory incentives are already at an all time high and interest rates 0% for 84 months. The dealers dont make much on cars. used cars might be another story,

The factorys are shut down right now so no inventory is not that full
That.
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
At some point in time, I will replace my truck. The equivalent of what I have today is like $60k which is downright stupid. They would literally have to offer $15-20k in rebates or I'll just drive mine until the wheels fall off.

I know that feeling, my personal rig as configured would be about 65-70k if i replaced it today. Not gonna happen till the wheels fall off especially knowing now that my business can be shut down on a whim by a Commie governor for a time frame he alone chooses.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/17/20
Originally Posted by 69sportfury
There's going to be a LOT more people upside down with all these extended payments and a lot of manufacturers offering no payments for 3-6 months.

If you're going to drive something till the wheels fall off, maybe it makes sense to pay for it over 6-7 years with % interest, but in reality if you can't pay for a car in 3 or maybe 4 years you can't afford it.

Trading in a vehicle the way some people do every few years and they're going to get their asses handed to them.

How about if you can’t pay cash for a car you can’t afford it? Why is 4 years of financing the magic cutoff?
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/17/20
Originally Posted by Dutch
How about if you can’t pay cash for a car you can’t afford it?

Please stop being so anti-semitic.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Car Price Predictions? - 04/17/20
Boy are a lot of You clueless. That 0% interest is paid for by the buyer in discounts they didn't get but could have.
You guys are like the average buyer. Wow learn how to buy a vehicle and WHEN. The dealers are paying interest on that inventory, they have to move it and hope to make the money on the financing and the extras. Don't try to tell me I was a marine dealer for 35 years. Marine was and is a fraction of the size of the car business but runs exactly the same way.
© 24hourcampfire