Home
Posted By: Teal Amazon - 04/22/20
I'm a transportation/supply chain wonk for my w2. Came across this today that I found interesting.

Consumer spend on Amazon is now up 35% over this time last year and people are spending $11,000 a SECOND on the platform.

Obvious it obvious - shelter in place, most all retail is closed to foot traffic etc.

Consider Amazon has curtailed some of their shipping programs (not only Prime but ability for people to utilize Amazon's network at competitive prices even for non Amazon purchases or vendors) and I think that FedEx had better figure out what they want to do in life because Amazon could buy them for final mile build out and do so with cash.

I don't believe brick and mortar is dead but it's getting smaller for sure. I also imagine that this current situation has a lot of people buying things on-line that they probably wouldn't have a year ago.

Anyone here buy something on-line lately that they never would have imagined in the past? I remember maybe a decade ago someone asked Mark Cuban about if he was worried that he had just bought a private jet on-line. He said "I buy my toilet paper online and soon, everyone will too..."
Posted By: Redneck Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
I believe it... I buy local whenever I can, but the stuff I get on Amazon are not available here - and being a Prime member means the vast majority of stuff is shipped free..
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
I try buying everything in person but I find that a lot of places have stopped stocking items because Amazon and other online sites also sell them cheaper or as cheap.l
Posted By: Slavek Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by teal
I'm a transportation/supply chain wonk for my w2. Came across this today that I found interesting.

Consumer spend on Amazon is now up 35% over this time last year and people are spending $11,000 a SECOND on the platform.

Obvious it obvious - shelter in place, most all retail is closed to foot traffic etc.

Consider Amazon has curtailed some of their shipping programs (not only Prime but ability for people to utilize Amazon's network at competitive prices even for non Amazon purchases or vendors) and I think that FedEx had better figure out what they want to do in life because Amazon could buy them for final mile build out and do so with cash.

I don't believe brick and mortar is dead but it's getting smaller for sure. I also imagine that this current situation has a lot of people buying things on-line that they probably wouldn't have a year ago.

Anyone here buy something on-line lately that they never would have imagined in the past? I remember maybe a decade ago someone asked Mark Cuban about if he was worried that he had just bought a private jet on-line. He said "I buy my toilet paper online and soon, everyone will too..."

I don't use that company, but it's one of huge winners from this pandemic.
Posted By: deflave Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
My wife balances all our grocery and toiletry type purchases between Wal-Mart pickup orders and amazon Prime.

It keeps things amazingly simple.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Amazon - 04/22/20

Looking down the road at brick and mortar stores and with Amazon on the run with others to follow Amazon’s lead,,,I’d be cautious about investing in REITs.
Posted By: RDW Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
I am a Prime member and buy large number of items every year and appreciate the fast shipping and competitive price.

It annoys be big time to go out for an item, hit two, three or more stores and end up coming home empty handed, ten minutes later it's ordered and on the way through Amazon.

My list includes coffee, motorcycle and car parts, firearm parts and accessories, tools and electronic items...most of what I purchase online is not available locally.

And Amazon employees a lot of Americans.
Posted By: hanco Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
They have put the end to small businesses. Progress!
Posted By: Teal Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Looking down the road at brick and mortar stores and with Amazon on the run with others to follow Amazon’s lead,,,I’d be cautious about investing in REITs.

Prologis is showing pretty good results right now. 60% of their customers are growing, Demand in consumer staples and e-commerce. Only 4.3% of their rents have asked for release/relief and April rent collections are within 1% of normal right now.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by hanco
I think a fair number of 'small businesses' have partnered with Amazon in order to spread out their available customers.. Probably helped them more than just staying local...

Most all their vendors on Amazon would be considered "small business" - they're simply the marketplace/facilitator for those businesses. They compete on their own platform as well but it's simply a tool small businesses are using to grow reach at low cost/overhead.

Shopify is similar for small businesses looking to build an e-commerce footprint if they don't like Amazon and quite frankly, I'm shocked FedEx hasn't gotten in bed with them, unless that final mile delivery really is killing them.

Prologis is showing pretty good results right now. 60% of their customers are growing, Demand in consumer staples and e-commerce. Only 4.3% of their rents have asked for release/relief and April rent collections are within 1% of normal right now.

I wonder about the future for them, teal, with the trend towards online purchases ramping up.

Christmas sales from stores in our greater area have dropped almost 40% according to the newspaper and that’s increased every year for the past 3 years.
One thing I have noticed in relation go amazon is that in Montana almost all their orders were delivered by UPS or FedEx.

But in our current neighborhood it is almost always an amazon delivery van. Pretty rare for it to be dropped off by FedEx or the Brown Santa.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
I chase the prices and I am finding that Amazon/Ebay are slipping in huge price hikes. Look up water heaters and you will find a +$400.00 increase over brick & Mortar. The average increase seems to be 100% when I find them. I predict that these price hikes will be the norm and not the exception soon.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Amazon - 04/22/20

,I’d be cautious about investing in REITs.

^ absolutely. I know a few knowledgable posters were talking positively about reits, and they are advertising like mad on the radio here, but I dunno, seems like a fight against the tide.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
This is a town of about 50k. I find that either/or Amazon & Ebay carry a very large selection that I just can't find locally. Amazon's Q&A section is a big help when shopping as you can often learn things that most store clerks don't know about any particular item. You soon learn how to sort out the idiots who post reviews before they open the box from those who have used the item and actually know what it's worth.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
I'm buying more and more off Amazon these days. Most local stores don't carry what I want to buy. The Brick & Mortar stores are going to either get on Amazon or Ebay or go the way of the dinosaurs. Shopping on-line is more convenient than driving all over town trying to find something and burning up fuel and time doing it.
25% of consumers have stated that they don’t feel comfortable going to a mall for another 6 months, 16% in 3 months and only 4% said they’d go to one within a month.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
Amazon has a partnership with FCA. FCA provides the vans for the delivery service.

I wonder about the future for them, teal, with the trend towards online purchases ramping up.

Christmas sales from stores in our greater area have dropped almost 40% according to the newspaper and that’s increased every year for the past 3 years.

Prologis is a REIT that specializes in logistics real-estate. $3.8 billion in credit line availability and $800 million in cash. The company’s debt-to-market capitalization ratio was 22%. Including the company’s co-investment ventures of $3.1 billion and open-ended funds, it has over $10 billion in investment capacity. 1 billion square feet in 19 countries.

I agree, REIT as a general statement - I'd be wary but there are some set to weather this or grow given what they specialize in.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Amazon - 04/22/20

Originally Posted by deflave
One thing I have noticed in relation go amazon is that in Montana almost all their orders were delivered by UPS or FedEx.

But in our current neighborhood it is almost always an amazon delivery van. Pretty rare for it to be dropped off by FedEx or the Brown Santa.

We live in a small town in western KY. A while back DHL delivered something the wife ordered from Amazon . First and only DHL delivery I've seen or know of in this area in many years. Haven't had anything else ordered from Amazon or any where else delivered by DHL since. Only thing I can figure is whatever it was the wife ordered on Amazon was actually shipped by a third party vendor.

Soon you will be able to get everything from Amazon. They will even tell you what the news you hear means, it will be great. The future looks real bright........SP 2000 sunblock and welding goggles for sun glasses!

Amazon's final mile is the pain point. It's a pain point for a lot of businesses working e-commerce.

USPS really wasn't built to handle packages. FedEx and the like - they're sick of the compression Amazon forces upon them and Amazon most definitely will partner with someone, LEARN like crazy and then pull away and do it themselves. XPO and NEMF found that out the hard way.
Originally Posted by joken2

We live in a small town in western KY. A while back DHL delivered something the wife ordered from Amazon . First and only DHL delivery I've seen or know of in this area in many years. Haven't had anything else ordered from Amazon or any where else delivered by DHL since. Only thing I can figure is whatever it was the wife ordered on Amazon was actually shipped by a third party vendor.

Amazon fulfillment from their DC will go the way they determine. Amazon fulfillment from one of their vendor's DC's will go the way the Vendor decides - so long as that final mile delivery option meets Amazon's metrics for service. Last year Amazon pulled the plug on FedEx fulfillment for sellers that were utilizing them via their own fulfillment centers based upon that and then turned them back on as Christmas rush was over IIRC.

Prologis is a REIT that specializes in logistics real-estate. $3.8 billion in credit line availability and $800 million in cash. The company’s debt-to-market capitalization ratio was 22%. Including the company’s co-investment ventures of $3.1 billion and open-ended funds, it has over $10 billion in investment capacity. 1 billion square feet in 19 countries.

I agree, REIT as a general statement - I'd be wary but there are some set to weather this or grow given what they specialize in.

That’s interesting.

Almost like Salmon swimming upstream dodging the bears and shooting the rapids.

Prologis ain’t hurting for capital at all it appears.
I keep an eye on them because of where they play - logistics and freight are the economy more than the S&P 500. Transportation sees a recession before the rest of the country and we see the recovery quicker too.

Things to look out for - chemical tanker volumes and moves, overall volumes, tender rejections and head haul markets or not that line up with places like Long Beach, Savannah, Houston etc.

Right now we're down about 12-15% for overall volume in the transportation world and down 35% from 2020/COVID19 surge peak on March 23.

Just under 1.1 million loads a day off from normal - I'd anticipate a growth of 8-10% by Q1 2021 and that will be considered "recovered" as Q1 2020 was cooling anyway before the shut down. That would be about 990,000 more loads a day in the system.
I keep an eye on them because of where they play - logistics and freight are the economy more than the S&P 500. Transportation sees a recession before the rest of the country and we see the recovery quicker too.

Things to look out for - chemical tanker volumes and moves, overall volumes, tender rejections and head haul markets or not that line up with places like Long Beach, Savannah, Houston etc.

Right now we're down about 12-15% for overall volume in the transportation world and down 35% from 2020/COVID19 surge peak on March 23.

Just under 1.1 million loads a day off from normal - I'd anticipate a growth of 8-10% by Q1 2021 and that will be considered "recovered" as Q1 2020 was cooling anyway before the shut down. That would be about 990,000 more loads a day in the system.

Logistics and Freight,,,,that be fact.

Logistics and Freight,,,,that be fact.

ETA:

Warren Buffett’s mantra is a part of that with rails and pipelines.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
All the groceries, home goods, parts etc I can find local for much lower prices than Amazon or Walmart.

Bought a dryer belt last week took me all of ten minutes to drive to appliance shop and pick it up forless than Amazon wanted with free delivery.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
My wife balances all our grocery and toiletry type purchases between Wal-Mart pickup orders and amazon Prime.

i had been using amazon prime for quite a while, but during this virus business started using costgo online and walmart, both shipped to the door. just a heck of a lot easier, and chewy for pet food.
there are delivery trucks in the hood all the time.
whole foods/sprouts is owned by amazon, and that included groceries including produce to the door. two hour delivery with whole foods.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by FatCity67
All the groceries, home goods, parts etc I can find local for much lower prices than Amazon or Walmart.

Bought a dryer belt last week took me all of ten minutes to drive to appliance shop and pick it up forless than Amazon wanted with free delivery.

Some times yes, most the time no.
Learning how to shop within Amazon for the best price is a learned art, the cheapest price very typically isn't the first option to be offered....
I shop groceries and the like locally. I order weird BBQ rubs and things I can't get locally off Amazon.

I still buy a lot of books there - get some great used books that are out of print.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

i had been using amazon prime for quite a while, but during this virus business started using costgo online and walmart, both shipped to the door. just a heck of a lot easier, and chewy for pet food.
there are delivery trucks in the hood all the time.
whole foods/sprouts is owned by amazon, and that included groceries including produce to the door. two hour delivery with whole foods.

Didn’t realize that Sprouts was Amazon owned. That’s a very popular store as is, of course, Whole Foods.

How long before the Government steps in and breaks up Amazon ?
I shop groceries and the like locally. I order weird BBQ rubs and things I can't get locally off Amazon.

I still buy a lot of books there - get some great used books that are out of print.

If you're in need of stocking they're a great resource. You may not have your shop towels or batteries today, but you'll have them in a couple weeks.

We stay pretty well prepared anyway but with hurricane season approaching compounded by the uncertainty of The Corona lockdowns it's really helped us replenish stuff with little/no effort.

As JeffA stated the prices can vary but oftentimes we get stuff for the same that it would cost at Sam's or Wal-Fugk.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
We live about 10 miles from the main shopping area here. It takes about a gal of gas to make a round trip, more if I take the pickup. Both UPS and Fedex come down the road by here every day anyway so stopping here doesn't use any more fuel for anybody. So often the local stores don't have what I want so ordering online just makes sense.
Posted By: akpls Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
Several times I have had packages that I ordered through Amazon delivered by the USPS on a Sunday. The driver told me that was all they delivered on Sundays.....Amazon packages. I have heard that those Sunday drivers are not regular USPS employees, but are "contract." He wasn't wearing the usual postal service uniform so maybe it's so.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We live about 10 miles from the main shopping area here. It takes about a gal of gas to make a round trip, more if I take the pickup. Both UPS and Fedex come down the road by here every day anyway so stopping here doesn't use any more fuel for anybody. So often the local stores don't have what I want so ordering online just makes sense.

Yep.
There’s better ways to spend your time than going to three different stores to find what you’re looking for and still not get all of it .
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by Redneck
I think a fair number of 'small businesses' have partnered with Amazon in order to spread out their available customers.. Probably helped them more than just staying local...

It's called "Fulfillment by Amazon", where small retailers ship their stuff to an Amazon warehouse and the orders are "fulfilled" by Amazon and shipped from that warehouse. Amazon makes a percentage of the sales price, and handles the PITA stuff of boxing and shipping.

I used to work in one of those warehouses. Amazon ain't much to work for, but they DO have great health insurance. That's about all, though

. I don't think much of Amazon, frankly, and won't buy anything from them if there's ANY other way to get it.
Posted By: JTman Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by RDW
I am a Prime member and buy large number of items every year and appreciate the fast shipping and competitive price.

It annoys be big time to go out for an item, hit two, three or more stores and end up coming home empty handed, ten minutes later it's ordered and on the way through Amazon.

This right here!

And while I do a lot of ordering from Amazon (not so much Ebay any more) I try to price shop a little. There are companies on Amazon with outrageous prices for sure but it's not that hard to weed them out.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Some times yes, most the time no.
Learning how to shop within Amazon for the best price is a learned art, the cheapest price very typically isn't the first option to be offered....

Been a prime member since 2005. Bought and sold many items through Amazon going back to the late 90's.

Amazon has almost always been the more expensive option.

Four Super Walmarts, Four SuperTargets, One Walmart Grocery, Three Costcos, Five Home Depots, Four Lowes, Four Ace Hardwares, Four Food For Less, Multiple Safeways, Raleys, Savemarts, Two Super Rancho San Miguels (Mexican Safeways) not to mention all the Specialty Food stores, Health food stores, GNC etc etc etc etc...

All within a 15 mile radius of my house.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by joken2

Cannot speak to the last mile consumer delivery. However, Grand Son-In-Law works for DHL in Hebron, KY. DHL is building a huge distribution center adjacent to CVG. Amazon is building an even bigger distribution center next to CVG. While Amazon is not DHL's only customer, DHL has a contract to guarantee Amazon a certain number of air cargo containers per day to ensure they can cover the volume.

My former office was on the approach to the long runway (36R?) at CVG. Early morning (6am - 8am) the Amazon cargo craft were continually lined up nose to tail on approach. Seemed like maybe only one in four craft were commercial....
I also use Amazon a bit because the closest store to my house NOT named "Piggly Wiggly" is 35 to 40 miles away. One way. I guess I'm used to sort of planning ahead and will order as need be. I rarely ever need something "right now" that I can't get at the Pig.

AA batteries or maybe a broken shoelace. Rest can be planned.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
Our Amazon purchases are far up the last six weeks. A $300 book case and various tchotchkes for Momma. Three new fishing reels, two new rods, spools of braided line in 8#, 10#, 20#, and 30#, supplies for DIY Walleye spinners, a bunch of spinner lures, and terminal tackle for me. I ordered replacement parts for my SIL's aquarium filter which would have been impossible to find in any B&M store/

The fishing tackle I might have been able to find between Cabelas and Sportsman's Warehouse with four hours on the road and 10 gallons of gas.

Delivery? Sometimes UPS, sometimes USPS into the mailbox, occasionally Fed-Ex.
Posted By: whackem_stackem Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
If you are buying from Amazon sign up for Amazon Smile and pick the organization you would like to donate to. All the hunting organizations are there (RMEF, F,DU and many more). It doesn't cost you any more to use it and the proceeds go where you want it to. Last year $58.00 was donated to the Ruffed Grouse Society in my name. It's not a lot but every bit helps and it didn't cost me anything extra.
Gun Owners Association - is on there too I believe.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Amazon - 04/22/20

Amazon a good place to buy many auto parts and cheaper too, especially for older vehicles. In a pinch I recently bought a 2 pack of plastic wheel well splash shield retainers at a local Auto Zone for $6.00 plus tax when I could have got a multi-pack of around a hundred assorted such fixtures for a little over twice what just the two piece pack alone cost at Auto Zone.

Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
I buy from Amazon usually something every month. Some is significantly cheaper than local prices.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
I am not spending money at Amazon
I am Making money off of them
For the past 2 1/2 weeks I have been working on Building upgrade for Amazon 10 miles from my home and have not missed a days work since the Pandemic Started
10 hour days and Saturdays.

I made an order to give them some money back but when they told me it would take over a month to get what I ordered I went to EBAY. I looked in 5 Local Stores before i went on line.
Originally Posted by funshooter
For the past 2 1/2 weeks I have been working on Building upgrade for Amazon 10 miles from my home and have not missed a days work since the Pandemic Started

I made an order to give them some money back but when they told me it would take over a month to get what I ordered I went to EBAY. I looked in 5 Local Stores before i went on line.

You oppose the business that keeps you working?

I'm not sure I follow.

I'm not sure I follow.

It appears to be temporary job on improvement project for Amazone, therefore, he owes them nothing.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
I get quite a bit of stuff from Amazon. I'm 10 miles outside of town. By the time I drive 20 miles, plus around town, waste several hours not finding what I'm looking for, I'm pretty pissed off. Amazon takes me a few days longer to get stuff delivered but it saves me a lot of stress. Now days if I go to the mall, it is just for the hell of going to the mall and wandering around, maybe finding something I didn't know I needed, but not truly shopping for anything. 'bout the only stores I truly LIKE to visit are gun stores / sporting goods stores.
Originally Posted by Slavek

I'm not sure I follow.

It appears to be temporary job on improvement project for Amazone, therefore, he owes them nothing.

I don't think he owes them anything either but how would it being temp work differ than him being FTE? Do the checks somehow cash differently?

I know you're a polak but Jesus Christ.

Try and contain it every now and again.
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I get quite a bit of stuff from Amazon. I'm 10 miles outside of town. By the time I drive 20 miles, plus around town, waste several hours not finding what I'm looking for, I'm pretty pissed off. Amazon takes me a few days longer to get stuff delivered but it saves me a lot of stress. Now days if I go to the mall, it is just for the hell of going to the mall and wandering around, maybe finding something I didn't know I needed, but not truly shopping for anything. 'bout the only stores I truly LIKE to visit are gun stores / sporting goods stores.

I'm the same - except my commute to town is longer/farther.

The one store I really find useless - Costco. Other than occasionally protein bars, I rarely go in there and find something I have to have or need. GF gets a free membership from her work otherwise I'd never go.
Posted By: 79S Re: Amazon - 04/22/20

I'm not sure I follow.

If it wasn’t for Amazon improving the facility he would be working. Are you that dumb?
Originally Posted by 79S

I'm not sure I follow.

If it wasn’t for Amazon improving the facility he would be working. Are you that dumb?

ConseulO, did you mean that he would NOT be working ?

2nd question:
Are you also Polish with no polish?
Posted By: kingston Re: Amazon - 04/22/20

If you're in need of stocking they're a great resource. You may not have your shop towels or batteries today, but you'll have them in a couple weeks.

We stay pretty well prepared anyway but with hurricane season approaching compounded by the uncertainty of The Corona lockdowns it's really helped us replenish stuff with little/no effort.

As JeffA stated the prices can vary but oftentimes we get stuff for the same that it would cost at Sam's or Wal-Fugk.

Camel - Camel - Camel

https://camelcamelcamel.com
I do not click on links provided by Kingston.
Posted By: kingston Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
I do not click on links provided by Kingston.

It's not embedded...
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Amazon - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by 79S

I'm not sure I follow.

2nd question:

No. He's a Pole with a knoll.. on the tip of his head.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by 79S

I'm not sure I follow.

2nd question:

Heh.

Maybe he’ll be back to explain.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Amazon - 04/22/20

Small business offers items you can’t get from the likes of Amazon.
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Small business offers items you can’t get from the likes of Amazon.

Like ?
Amazon allows me to access small businesses I'd never be able to otherwise. And vice versa.
Posted By: deflave Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
Amazon allows me to access small businesses I'd never be able to otherwise. And vice versa.

I'm starting to think that some people don't understand how this works.

LOL
Posted By: KFWA Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
I'm afraid to admit how much money I spend on Amazon yearly. Its substantial

just about all tools, car parts, motorcycle parts, lubricants, clothing. Basically everything but perishables.

oddly enough because of the delay in shipping from Amazon, I am buying more stuff from Ebay now because I get it faster.
Posted By: Teal Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
I've made 1 purchase off Ebay in my life.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
I've been buying more from Ebay over the last few months. Pricing and selection for some specific items has been better, and the shipping has been nearly as fast.
ebays return policy varies by seller so you just have to stay on top of that but yea, as long as you limit your purchases to sellers located in the USA then shipping is usually no more than like 4 days

the past week I've ordered coated brake lines,a line bender tool, metric fittings, cam chain tensioners, and flare wrenches. Ebay is great for that sort of thing - better than Amazon, IMO . I probably would have bought a few of those things from Amazon, but since they aren't essential, I wouldn't get them until May 7th
Posted By: funshooter Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by 79S

I'm not sure I follow.

2nd question:

Heh.

I am an Welding inspector. Inspecting an upgrade to a building that is being modified to suit Amazons needs.
When I work for an owner that has things that I use. I like to return the favor.
They give me an income from building their buildings.
I in return like to return that favor if they have services or Items that I use I use their Services and or Try and Buy their Products.
I pay full price no kick backs no bribes for my services because they are giving me a Pay Check to pay my Bills.
This Pandemic has been real good for me.
I was kicked off of another project because another inspector working for another lab did not want me in the Office with him so he told everyone that I was sick and they kicked me out of that shop. I lost a 2 month job because of that Azz Hat.
I told the lab I am working for that it was OK with me that I was going to Arizona to work on my property.
The Lab Begged me to stay and I told them Work me or I am Gone.
They gave me piddly jobs for a week and then called me and asked if I could get to a job ASAP.
I told them yes.
The shop job I was kicked off of was 2 months approx. 25 miles from home.
This Amazon Project I am on right now is 10 miles from Home and will probably last 4+ months.
When you are in Construction you are nothing more that a Glorified Transient moving from one place to another.
I tell everyone that My Shopping Cart that I have Just costs a lot more than the Homeless guy living on the street.

With everyone that is sitting home right now going crazy. I am working and even getting a bit of over time
My Guardian Angles are working over time making sure I am Working threw this so called Pandemic.
And for what ever reason should it all stop. If I can get to Arizona. I have the rest of my life working my property it will never get boring.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
Interesting

Wonder if they will prorate Prime.

Not a member but was looking for something specialized on s member friends device and delivery date was late May early June.
Back to Sears and Roebuck days I guess..
Posted By: RDW Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
I need a 3/8" or preferably a 1/2" drive 12mm Hex socket to torque the axle bolt on my motorcycle so I went shopping...

Harbor Freight had a complete set of big sockets with an 11mm and a 13mm.

Lowes, nope

Home Depot, nope

Sears, nope because it closed down

ACE, nope

OReilly, nope

AutoZone, nope

Walmart, fk, I don't even need to check

Amazon/Ebay.........YEP
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by 79S

I'm not sure I follow.

2nd question:

Heh.

I am an Welding inspector. Inspecting an upgrade to a building that is being modified to suit Amazons needs.
When I work for an owner that has things that I use. I like to return the favor.
They give me an income from building their buildings.
I in return like to return that favor if they have services or Items that I use I use their Services and or Try and Buy their Products.
I pay full price no kick backs no bribes for my services because they are giving me a Pay Check to pay my Bills.
This Pandemic has been real good for me.
I was kicked off of another project because another inspector working for another lab did not want me in the Office with him so he told everyone that I was sick and they kicked me out of that shop. I lost a 2 month job because of that Azz Hat.
I told the lab I am working for that it was OK with me that I was going to Arizona to work on my property.
The Lab Begged me to stay and I told them Work me or I am Gone.
They gave me piddly jobs for a week and then called me and asked if I could get to a job ASAP.
I told them yes.
The shop job I was kicked off of was 2 months approx. 25 miles from home.
This Amazon Project I am on right now is 10 miles from Home and will probably last 4+ months.
When you are in Construction you are nothing more that a Glorified Transient moving from one place to another.
I tell everyone that My Shopping Cart that I have Just costs a lot more than the Homeless guy living on the street.

With everyone that is sitting home right now going crazy. I am working and even getting a bit of over time
My Guardian Angles are working over time making sure I am Working threw this so called Pandemic.
And for what ever reason should it all stop. If I can get to Arizona. I have the rest of my life working my property it will never get boring.

Stay with it, Brother. It’ll pay off for you and yours.

I wish you well.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by KFWA

just about all tools, car parts, motorcycle parts, lubricants, clothing. Basically everything but perishables.

oddly enough because of the delay in shipping from Amazon, I am buying more stuff from Ebay now because I get it faster.

Just looked at the 2019 credit card breakdown. $5100 at Amazon, nothing crazy but a decent amount of money for us(on random chit).

And if I can find it locally in our small town I will generally buy it local. Why not spend a little more and support your friends and neighbors?

But..... Amazon has unlimited selection and it is beyond easy. Used to be fast as well and I'm sure that will come back.

Posted By: Johnsclist Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by RDW

My list includes coffee, motorcycle and car parts, firearm parts and accessories, tools and electronic items...most of what I purchase online is not available locally.

And Amazon employees a lot of Americans.

I’ll second this statement.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Just looked at the 2019 credit card breakdown. $5100 at Amazon, nothing crazy but a decent amount of money for us(on random chit).

And if I can find it locally in our small town I will generally buy it local. Why not spend a little more and support your friends and neighbors?

But..... Amazon has unlimited selection and it is beyond easy. Used to be fast as well and I'm sure that will come back.

I'll admit I don't do enough to support the mom-n-pops shops other than restaurants. I do my share on food places, but in terms of mom-n-pop like clothing stores - its just not competitive. The markup they have to keep the lights on because they don't volume purchase just doesn't allow me to buy from them. For example $79 for a pair of pants I can get for $49 online.

I should do more but at the end of the day, I want that $30 in my pocket - maybe to spend on a pizza at a local spot.

I should do more but at the end of the day, I want that $30 in my pocket - maybe to spend on a pizza at a local spot.

Exactly...
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
And a beer!
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
It's one of the most reliable ways to get anything out to bush Alaska.
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
And a beer!

Wild Bill, good groceries are the key to happiness!
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
Might happen but there will still be a place for smaller brick stores.

"What did you order, dad?"

"Dunno. Let's find out!"
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Might happen but there will still be a place for smaller brick stores.

One of my favorite amazon stories:

I ordered a belt and rig because I wanted to use it before a match on a Sunday.

It was not going to arrive on time so I had to pay the $20 extra fast shipping rate.

It arrives the next day. Plenty of time to spare before the upcoming match.

I look at the return address and it's five minutes from my front door. LOL

They are made/sold right up the street and I didn't even know it. Fail.
During the CV19 shut down and shift to e-commerce - the top 2 year over year largest increase in e-commerce sales - disposable gloves at 670% increase and BREAD MACHINES at a 652% increase.

Toilet paper only went up 190%

Obvious things like luggage and swimwear were big droppers.
That's funny about the bread machines.
It's an anomaly for sure.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
I buy weird stuff on Amazon that I can't find in our small town and even if I go to the city not going to find it. I am waiting with baited breath for my next purchase to show up. Ordered a cross box for my new pickup off amazon and been waiting a month for it. Amazon said its not critical so I have to wait. Well I got notice last night that it has been shipped. Now the funny part. It is being shipped USPS, the mail carrier is going to be pissed at me.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
Apparently Bezos is getting involved in Amazon again. He took a long vacation and appeared to be getting out of it but the virus situation has brought him back.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
I try to buy local if I can. Many times I run around to a half dozen stores and burn $5. on gas. Then go home bummed and get what I am looking for on Amazon in minutes.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
I try to buy local if I can. Many times I run around to a half dozen stores and burn $5. on gas. Then go home bummed and get what I am looking for on Amazon in minutes.

I've been there.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Amazon - 04/23/20

I couldn't get bread shipped by any of the online sources I tried.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
I hate to go to stores anymore due to the Covid19 procedures implemented at them.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I hate to go to stores anymore due to the Covid19 procedures implemented at them.

No schit.

They could at least do away with the capacity and mask restrictions.

Dumbest schit ever.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by BlueDuck

The exact reason I always shop Amazon first. Living in small town America has its advantages, but being able to find stuff you need is not one of them. Mom-and-pop have had us over a barrel for generations , now it's our turn.
Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by Redneck

This is partially true, but a lot of what’s happening is only the originator or the wholesaler is allowed to use the Amazon platform. That still leaves small businesses in the dark. My wife and I own several small businesses. A kids store, a mens store, and a home interiors/bed/bath store. This shelter in place stuff has killed our small town businesses. We’ve had to resort to curbside pickup, and online only orders. Along with that we’ve had to compete with huge markdowns offered by other retailers in attempt for them to move like products. They aren’t the same products, but in the same category so it’s competition none the less.

People will realize one day (and it’s already started to happen) that as the number of retailers drop, and competition gets thinner, the prices of Amazon and the like will go up. They’ll turn the worm on consumers little by little and few will be the wiser.
Originally Posted by JeffA

I couldn't get bread shipped by any of the online sources I tried.

I've made bread 4 times since shut down.

Only machine involved was the Kitchen Aid stand mixer. (got a smoking deal on it when Shopko was going under)

I've never used a bread machine - do they do a decent job or is it mostly a convenience thing?

I've never used a bread machine - do they do a decent job or is it mostly a convenience thing?

It's something that will get used for 30 days and end up in a garage sale four years later.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by kingston

The only problem is they are constantly a day or two late in letting you know about any price drops.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Amazon - 04/23/20
I buy a crap load off Amazon (need a dozen 1/8 NPT 2" brass nipples -- be there tomorrow kind-a-thing), but I've been burned a time or two with fakes. To the point I only buy from the manufacturer or Amazon itself.

I still wish I could pick stuff up locally, but I farm in a town of less than 1,000. Chances are, they won't have six 1/4" oxygen rated quick coupler sets.....
Originally Posted by Dutch
I buy a crap load off Amazon (need a dozen 1/8 NPT 2" brass nipples -- be there tomorrow kind-a-thing), but I've been burned a time or two with fakes. To the point I only buy from the manufacturer or Amazon itself.

I still wish I could pick stuff up locally, but I farm in a town of less than 1,000. Chances are, they won't have six 1/4" oxygen rated quick coupler sets.....

Town less than 3k here. I can't buy an alarm clock locally but I CAN get new down riggers and salmon gear at the gas station lol.
© 24hourcampfire