Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by deflave
One thing I have noticed in relation go amazon is that in Montana almost all their orders were delivered by UPS or FedEx.

But in our current neighborhood it is almost always an amazon delivery van. Pretty rare for it to be dropped off by FedEx or the Brown Santa.

We live in a small town in western KY. A while back DHL delivered something the wife ordered from Amazon . First and only DHL delivery I've seen or know of in this area in many years. Haven't had anything else ordered from Amazon or any where else delivered by DHL since. Only thing I can figure is whatever it was the wife ordered on Amazon was actually shipped by a third party vendor.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
They have put the end to small businesses. Progress!

Soon you will be able to get everything from Amazon. They will even tell you what the news you hear means, it will be great. The future looks real bright........SP 2000 sunblock and welding goggles for sun glasses!

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
One thing I have noticed in relation go amazon is that in Montana almost all their orders were delivered by UPS or FedEx.

But in our current neighborhood it is almost always an amazon delivery van. Pretty rare for it to be dropped off by FedEx or the Brown Santa.

Amazon's final mile is the pain point. It's a pain point for a lot of businesses working e-commerce.

USPS really wasn't built to handle packages. FedEx and the like - they're sick of the compression Amazon forces upon them and Amazon most definitely will partner with someone, LEARN like crazy and then pull away and do it themselves. XPO and NEMF found that out the hard way.

Me

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by joken2

We live in a small town in western KY. A while back DHL delivered something the wife ordered from Amazon . First and only DHL delivery I've seen or know of in this area in many years. Haven't had anything else ordered from Amazon or any where else delivered by DHL since. Only thing I can figure is whatever it was the wife ordered on Amazon was actually shipped by a third party vendor.

Amazon fulfillment from their DC will go the way they determine. Amazon fulfillment from one of their vendor's DC's will go the way the Vendor decides - so long as that final mile delivery option meets Amazon's metrics for service. Last year Amazon pulled the plug on FedEx fulfillment for sellers that were utilizing them via their own fulfillment centers based upon that and then turned them back on as Christmas rush was over IIRC.

Me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
I'm a transportation/supply chain wonk for my w2. Came across this today that I found interesting.

Consumer spend on Amazon is now up 35% over this time last year and people are spending $11,000 a SECOND on the platform.

Obvious it obvious - shelter in place, most all retail is closed to foot traffic etc.

Consider Amazon has curtailed some of their shipping programs (not only Prime but ability for people to utilize Amazon's network at competitive prices even for non Amazon purchases or vendors) and I think that FedEx had better figure out what they want to do in life because Amazon could buy them for final mile build out and do so with cash.

I don't believe brick and mortar is dead but it's getting smaller for sure. I also imagine that this current situation has a lot of people buying things on-line that they probably wouldn't have a year ago.

Anyone here buy something on-line lately that they never would have imagined in the past? I remember maybe a decade ago someone asked Mark Cuban about if he was worried that he had just bought a private jet on-line. He said "I buy my toilet paper online and soon, everyone will too..."

Looking down the road at brick and mortar stores and with Amazon on the run with others to follow Amazon’s lead,,,I’d be cautious about investing in REITs.

Prologis is showing pretty good results right now. 60% of their customers are growing, Demand in consumer staples and e-commerce. Only 4.3% of their rents have asked for release/relief and April rent collections are within 1% of normal right now.

I wonder about the future for them, teal, with the trend towards online purchases ramping up.

Christmas sales from stores in our greater area have dropped almost 40% according to the newspaper and that’s increased every year for the past 3 years.

Prologis is a REIT that specializes in logistics real-estate. $3.8 billion in credit line availability and $800 million in cash. The company’s debt-to-market capitalization ratio was 22%. Including the company’s co-investment ventures of $3.1 billion and open-ended funds, it has over $10 billion in investment capacity. 1 billion square feet in 19 countries.

I agree, REIT as a general statement - I'd be wary but there are some set to weather this or grow given what they specialize in.

That’s interesting.

Almost like Salmon swimming upstream dodging the bears and shooting the rapids.

Prologis ain’t hurting for capital at all it appears.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I keep an eye on them because of where they play - logistics and freight are the economy more than the S&P 500. Transportation sees a recession before the rest of the country and we see the recovery quicker too.

Things to look out for - chemical tanker volumes and moves, overall volumes, tender rejections and head haul markets or not that line up with places like Long Beach, Savannah, Houston etc.

Right now we're down about 12-15% for overall volume in the transportation world and down 35% from 2020/COVID19 surge peak on March 23.

Just under 1.1 million loads a day off from normal - I'd anticipate a growth of 8-10% by Q1 2021 and that will be considered "recovered" as Q1 2020 was cooling anyway before the shut down. That would be about 990,000 more loads a day in the system.

Me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I keep an eye on them because of where they play - logistics and freight are the economy more than the S&P 500. Transportation sees a recession before the rest of the country and we see the recovery quicker too.

Things to look out for - chemical tanker volumes and moves, overall volumes, tender rejections and head haul markets or not that line up with places like Long Beach, Savannah, Houston etc.

Right now we're down about 12-15% for overall volume in the transportation world and down 35% from 2020/COVID19 surge peak on March 23.

Just under 1.1 million loads a day off from normal - I'd anticipate a growth of 8-10% by Q1 2021 and that will be considered "recovered" as Q1 2020 was cooling anyway before the shut down. That would be about 990,000 more loads a day in the system.

Logistics and Freight,,,,that be fact.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Logistics and Freight,,,,that be fact.

ETA:

Warren Buffett’s mantra is a part of that with rails and pipelines.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All the groceries, home goods, parts etc I can find local for much lower prices than Amazon or Walmart.

Bought a dryer belt last week took me all of ten minutes to drive to appliance shop and pick it up forless than Amazon wanted with free delivery.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My wife balances all our grocery and toiletry type purchases between Wal-Mart pickup orders and amazon Prime.

It keeps things amazingly simple.

i had been using amazon prime for quite a while, but during this virus business started using costgo online and walmart, both shipped to the door. just a heck of a lot easier, and chewy for pet food.
there are delivery trucks in the hood all the time.
whole foods/sprouts is owned by amazon, and that included groceries including produce to the door. two hour delivery with whole foods.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FatCity67
All the groceries, home goods, parts etc I can find local for much lower prices than Amazon or Walmart.

Bought a dryer belt last week took me all of ten minutes to drive to appliance shop and pick it up forless than Amazon wanted with free delivery.

Some times yes, most the time no.
Learning how to shop within Amazon for the best price is a learned art, the cheapest price very typically isn't the first option to be offered....

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I shop groceries and the like locally. I order weird BBQ rubs and things I can't get locally off Amazon.

I still buy a lot of books there - get some great used books that are out of print.

Me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
My wife balances all our grocery and toiletry type purchases between Wal-Mart pickup orders and amazon Prime.

It keeps things amazingly simple.

i had been using amazon prime for quite a while, but during this virus business started using costgo online and walmart, both shipped to the door. just a heck of a lot easier, and chewy for pet food.
there are delivery trucks in the hood all the time.
whole foods/sprouts is owned by amazon, and that included groceries including produce to the door. two hour delivery with whole foods.

Didn’t realize that Sprouts was Amazon owned. That’s a very popular store as is, of course, Whole Foods.

How long before the Government steps in and breaks up Amazon ?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I shop groceries and the like locally. I order weird BBQ rubs and things I can't get locally off Amazon.

I still buy a lot of books there - get some great used books that are out of print.

If you're in need of stocking they're a great resource. You may not have your shop towels or batteries today, but you'll have them in a couple weeks.

We stay pretty well prepared anyway but with hurricane season approaching compounded by the uncertainty of The Corona lockdowns it's really helped us replenish stuff with little/no effort.

As JeffA stated the prices can vary but oftentimes we get stuff for the same that it would cost at Sam's or Wal-Fugk.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We live about 10 miles from the main shopping area here. It takes about a gal of gas to make a round trip, more if I take the pickup. Both UPS and Fedex come down the road by here every day anyway so stopping here doesn't use any more fuel for anybody. So often the local stores don't have what I want so ordering online just makes sense.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Several times I have had packages that I ordered through Amazon delivered by the USPS on a Sunday. The driver told me that was all they delivered on Sundays.....Amazon packages. I have heard that those Sunday drivers are not regular USPS employees, but are "contract." He wasn't wearing the usual postal service uniform so maybe it's so.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We live about 10 miles from the main shopping area here. It takes about a gal of gas to make a round trip, more if I take the pickup. Both UPS and Fedex come down the road by here every day anyway so stopping here doesn't use any more fuel for anybody. So often the local stores don't have what I want so ordering online just makes sense.

Yep.
There’s better ways to spend your time than going to three different stores to find what you’re looking for and still not get all of it .

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by hanco
They have put the end to small businesses. Progress!
I think a fair number of 'small businesses' have partnered with Amazon in order to spread out their available customers.. Probably helped them more than just staying local...

It's called "Fulfillment by Amazon", where small retailers ship their stuff to an Amazon warehouse and the orders are "fulfilled" by Amazon and shipped from that warehouse. Amazon makes a percentage of the sales price, and handles the PITA stuff of boxing and shipping.

I used to work in one of those warehouses. Amazon ain't much to work for, but they DO have great health insurance. That's about all, though

. I don't think much of Amazon, frankly, and won't buy anything from them if there's ANY other way to get it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RDW
I am a Prime member and buy large number of items every year and appreciate the fast shipping and competitive price.

It annoys be big time to go out for an item, hit two, three or more stores and end up coming home empty handed, ten minutes later it's ordered and on the way through Amazon.

This right here!

And while I do a lot of ordering from Amazon (not so much Ebay any more) I try to price shop a little. There are companies on Amazon with outrageous prices for sure but it's not that hard to weed them out.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Some times yes, most the time no.
Learning how to shop within Amazon for the best price is a learned art, the cheapest price very typically isn't the first option to be offered....

Been a prime member since 2005. Bought and sold many items through Amazon going back to the late 90's.

Amazon has almost always been the more expensive option.

Four Super Walmarts, Four SuperTargets, One Walmart Grocery, Three Costcos, Five Home Depots, Four Lowes, Four Ace Hardwares, Four Food For Less, Multiple Safeways, Raleys, Savemarts, Two Super Rancho San Miguels (Mexican Safeways) not to mention all the Specialty Food stores, Health food stores, GNC etc etc etc etc...

All within a 15 mile radius of my house.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,819
Posts18,477,719
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.