Home
Posted By: MLC John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Looking for opinions on buying a new tractor. I have narrowed it down to the John Deere 3043D or the Kubota L3901 both 4WD with the front end loader and both gear shift which is what I want. I got a quote on both of them and they are writhin $200. The John Deere is 43 HP and the Kubota 37.5 HP. I only have 20 acres and bush hog about 8 and grade a couple of roads and do some discing for a garden. Both are offering 0% financing 60 months. I'm kind of leaning toward the John Deere because about everything on it is mechanical and not a whole lot of electronic stuff and a little more H.P. and just a little bit heavier. I have always had an used tractor and just tried of working on it every year. I have never had a front end loader but everybody tells me if I buy a new one get it. What do you think?
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Yes.

Get the loader.

Yes.. Get the one of the two you like best.

Yes... Think about the dealer reputations, look at the parts and service depts., and make your choice based on that.

smile
Posted By: Teal Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
If I could swing it - I'd ALWAYS opt for a front end loader.

We run older Fords and never once did I wish the ones that had em, didn't. Always wished those that didn't - did.

That said - same dealers? I don't know enough about those specific models to say but assume you've done homework - it would come down to which dealer was better regarding service, parts, and generally taking care of you.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
I bought a tractor last year and am so glad I got the loader. Beyond that, I will say buy the dealer as much as you buy the tractor. That's what I did when I went with Mahindra.
Posted By: WoodsyAl Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
We bought the Kubota you mention two years ago and have been extremely pleased with it. We bought the front loader, a fork lift attachment, and a clamshell grapple that goes on the front end. That grapple has been used a lot.
Posted By: atomchaser Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
If the dealers are about the same in terms of supporting your purchase, it sounds like the Deere comes out ahead for you specs wise. Definitely get the loader with skid loader quick attach. I would also add rear remotes if you will be running any hydraulic off the three point.
Posted By: cfran Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Not trying to spoil your plan but I’d consider a pre-emission (around 2013 and prior) very slightly used vs either of these. I just went from a Kubota L3240 to a Deere 4520, both with loader. Something less than 500 hours won’t require additional attention if properly cared for. Just a different perspective. Good luck and both brands are quite good, the two best IMO.
Posted By: MLC Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
One other thing I forgot to mention is the JD is turbo charged and the Kubota is not. Just wondering if there have been any problems with the JD turbo's.
Posted By: oldcuss Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
first drive around each dlrshp area , say 10-20 miles - stop at every JD tractor and every Kubota tractor
you see . Ask lots of questions about machine and the dlr they purchased from. Did they shop around?
Some people are wedded to an equipment color (brand) like fish to water. After you leave each one
write down pertinent info. Later ask dlr for some owner references, see how they compare with your
notes. we did that 3 yrs ago and it really paid off.
Oldcuss
Posted By: TwoEyedJack Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
I got a Deere 5075e a few years ago. It has the DPF but no DEF. It regens about every 50 hours or so, and you can't really notice except the idle RPM is raised to about 1200 and an icon lights up on the dash. It has a cab and an air conditioner. We use it for commercial weed/pasture mowing. It has been great.

I got the front end loader, which is a nice addition. One of the mast pins popped out in the first 20 hours and bent the bracket it goes into. I called the dealer, he had a truck in the field within two hours or so, and replaced a bent bracket the next day in the field. I hear that Mahindra and Kobota dealers won't go to out on service calls. You have to get the tractor to the dealership, which would have been a real problem with the front end loader only connected on one side.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
A loader tractor is the only way to go. Kubota makes a really good small tractor. I don't care for JD and have 3 green tractors, their service is geared towards the big farmer and they'll pizz on the little guy every time when working on your tractor. Either one is probably a good tractor.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Always, always , always get a loader if you only have one tractor. You can't imagine the uses and needs you didn't know you had for a loader until you get one. For instance, with a chain you can use the loader to pull fence posts. With care you can drive fence posts (although there are better tools for the job, just saying it can be done).

Get the loader!

Posted By: cfran Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by MLC
One other thing I forgot to mention is the JD is turbo charged and the Kubota is not. Just wondering if there have been any problems with the JD turbo's.

Tons of turbo engines in skid steers ams tractor that routinely go over 10,000 hours, I wouldn’t worry about that. My 60 hp Deere is a turbo. But weight is more important than hp for ground engagement applications. Something that I would be looking at on these two models.
Posted By: DHN Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by AB2506
Always, always , always get a loader if you only have one tractor. You can't imagine the uses and needs you didn't know you had for a loader until you get one. For instance, with a chain you can use the loader to pull fence posts. With care you can drive fence posts (although there are better tools for the job, just saying it can be done).

Get the loader!

This, and get the third valve so you can use a grapple.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
John the Baptist crying here, Near by dealer with good parts, and shop support?
Posted By: jimdgc Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
In that horsepower range, I would choose Kubota. The smaller JD tractors are made from parts sourced from all over the world. We had 3 under 65 hp John Deere’s with mixed results (one was great, one was junk and one so so). To the best of my knowledge, all were primarily made in India. Larger “Made in USA” JD’s are fine. We’ve had 3 small Kubotas, 25-45 hp, and all have been fine. Also had good service from older Ford and Massey Ferguson small tractors.
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by teal
If I could swing it - I'd ALWAYS opt for a front end loader.

This.
Posted By: hanco Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Get the front end loader, I have a kubota, 10 years old, no problem at all with it. I’d get a 45 horse if you could possibly afford it. My 45 horse, four wheel drive, will pull a 7’ disc easy.
Posted By: hanco Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
No matter what size you get, you will wish you had bought the next size bigger!
Posted By: gwrench Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by cfran
Not trying to spoil your plan but I’d consider a pre-emission (around 2013 and prior) very slightly used vs either of these. I just went from a Kubota L3240 to a Deere 4520, both with loader. Something less than 500 hours won’t require additional attention if properly cared for. Just a different perspective. Good luck and both brands are quite good, the two best IMO.

+1

In that hp range it's a tier 4 emission engine. They work fine if it's used hard all the time so it's red hot and clean. Not many use a tractor that way so they end up doing regens and loading up the diesel particulate filter. You will have to call the dealer for any running issues and expect to spend $$. I like the old school relatively simple diesels in that size.

You can look this up, many outlets have reported about this. https://www.thedrive.com/news/31761...-40-year-old-equipment-to-all-time-highs
Originally Posted by DHN

Get the loader!

This, and get the third valve so you can use a grapple.

Some of the "economy" tractors now don't even have a rear hydraulic remote.

How crazy is that? crazy

First tractor I saw like that was a 65hp JD...
Posted By: logger Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Another thing to think about are the ergonomics of your tractor. For example, my John Deere tractor has the loader levers on the right side, near my hip. That is very similar to the fork lifts that I used as a kid at my dad's business. I've look at the Kubotas and didn't like the loader lever up and in front of you. Personal preference, but I use my loader a lot so it works for me.
Posted By: bucktail Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
I'd second the notion of buying the best dealer considering pre tier 4 and getting a loader. Also consider getting an SSQA for the loader. If you find a deal on a kubota 3350 run like hell. They have an emission system that is unique to that model and it is problematic for most of the owners.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Had both in similar sizes. I give the edge to Kubota.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by hanco
No matter what size you get, you will wish you had bought the next size bigger!

This is so true..
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by gwrench
Originally Posted by cfran

+1

In that hp range it's a tier 4 emission engine. They work fine if it's used hard all the time so it's red hot and clean. Not many use a tractor that way so they end up doing regens and loading up the diesel particulate filter. You will have to call the dealer for any running issues and expect to spend $$. I like the old school relatively simple diesels in that size.

You can look this up, many outlets have reported about this. https://www.thedrive.com/news/31761...-40-year-old-equipment-to-all-time-highs

My neighbor tried to do this last year and the prices he was quoted were more than a new JD with purchase incentives ,so he went new. I'LL bet there is all sorts of hot deals on new equipment this spring. MB
Posted By: funshooter Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
I asked a lot of Professional operators what their opinion was about what tractor I should buy when the time was right.
I maybe talked to 100 to 150 Operators in the Construction field (no agg Operators)
Everyone of them said JD and then asked what size and what I wanted to do with the Tractor and everyone of them changed and said Kubota.
it was like I they were the same guy every time.
I purchased an MX5800 and am very happy with it.
the 0% financing was a + for me as well.

Good Luck on what you choose to get.
Posted By: WoodsyAl Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
I think the size you want depends on your usage. In our case, we maintain several food plots, the largest of which is two acres. We use the tractor as much or more in the woods and mowing narrow fire lanes where maneuverability is more important than a bit more power. For the difference in money it was tempting to get the larger tractor, but we decided on the L3901. After two years we have no regrets. If you are only going to operate in large fields, the extra power and weight might be more important.
Posted By: Sako Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
I have been JD for 25 years atleast... I have a lot of friends with Kubota... both are good tractors... One factor for me in JD is that I know I will always be able to get parts for it... absolutely get a Front end loader but also get a set of Forks for it... Pallet forks... Ever since I bought a pair of them I will never be without them... I end up keeping them on the tractor all the time and put the bucket on only when I need it... Both are good machines and since you are going geared, even less apart.. I do like the JD hydrostatic controls a lot better than the Kubota..
Originally Posted by funshooter
I asked a lot of Professional operators what their opinion was about what tractor I should buy when the time was right.
I maybe talked to 100 to 150 Operators in the Construction field (no agg Operators)
Everyone of them said JD and then asked what size and what I wanted to do with the Tractor and everyone of them changed and said Kubota.
it was like I they were the same guy every time.
I purchased an MX5800 and am very happy with it.
the 0% financing was a + for me as well.

Good Luck on what you choose to get.

There's a lot to what the operators told you.

The thing is, now JD are made all over the world, just like all the other tractors. Italy, Korea, Mexico, Japan, India, China... etc.

The JD's of old, were American made and pretty bullet proof. You could will it to your kids or grandkids along with the family land.

Another thing to figure is what made the operators switch brands when you were talking about compact tractors...

Kubota has an edge over JD perhaps because so many small acreage owners have them. Weekend warriors so to speak. (No offense meant, it's just the way it is.)

You get into bigger tractors that are operated every day under hard conditions and you can whittle the makes down to 2-3 here in the US... John Deere, Case & New Holland.

Case and New Holland are the same tractor only one is red, the other is blue. The farms here are a pretty even split on either JD or CNH.

One factor that made me buy a New Holland compact track loader was the fact that they are American made. In Kansas. Which means if I need parts, they don't have to wait 2 months on the ship to come in from India. wink
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Both are quality tractors. The JD has a yanmar engine but I'm not sure where the tractor was built, I think they're made in the U.S. Yanmar makes a good engine and has been making a lot of Deere's engines for many years. The turbo is no problem, diesels and turbos go together like peas and carrots. Likewise Kubota builds a good tractor.

Definitely get the front end loader as others have said. A FEL on a MFWD tractor easily doubles what you can do with it, peas and carrots again. I use my FEL just about every time I'm on the tractor.

It would probably boil down to ergonomics for me. Get on both of them and drive them around some, test out the location of the controls and see how they feel. On some tractors I can't get the seat far enough back to work the clutch and brakes, my cousin's MX5000 was like that and I hated driving it. It felt like it was designed for a 5' Japanese guy, not an American. The tractor itself was fine but it didn't fit me and it wouldn't have lasted but a day if I'd bought it. Try them both out and see what feels better.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Its a given you want the front end loader. I bought the Kubota L4600, 46 HP hydrostatic drive and am very disappointed with the hydraulics. The tractor is good but the hydraulics are weak. I would make a comparison between the two before a final decision is reached.
Posted By: MLC Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Thanks to everybody for great information. As of now kind of leaning towards the Kubota. I’m going to decide tomorrow.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by MLC
Looking for opinions on buying a new tractor. I have narrowed it down to the John Deere 3043D or the Kubota L3901 both 4WD with the front end loader and both gear shift which is what I want. I got a quote on both of them and they are writhin $200. The John Deere is 43 HP and the Kubota 37.5 HP. I only have 20 acres and bush hog about 8 and grade a couple of roads and do some discing for a garden. Both are offering 0% financing 60 months. I'm kind of leaning toward the John Deere because about everything on it is mechanical and not a whole lot of electronic stuff and a little more H.P. and just a little bit heavier. I have always had an used tractor and just tried of working on it every year. I have never had a front end loader but everybody tells me if I buy a new one get it. What do you think?
I've never owned a Kubota. I've only owned JD lawn tractors as opposed to a tractor, and also sundry other JD equipment, like a combine, for instance. I don't think there's anything wrong with a Kubota, but you've already listed the reasons why the JD tops the Kubota in this instance. JD wins. I agree with getting a loader. IMO you won't be sorry. The wild card will be your dealer. What could throw the monkey in the wrench is a bad JD dealer. One thing that I'd consider if you haven't already and if the above tractors aren't so-equipped, is a cab with heat and air.
Posted By: turkish Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
If you don’t prefer one dealer over another and they’re equally convenient, tell the dealer your dilemma and see what they can throw in to earn your business. Free service, free delivery, free service pickup, etc.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
all things otherwise equal, I would buy the one made in the USA.
Posted By: ihookem Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
The Kubota engine is 111 cu. in and puts out 37 horse but needs 2,700 RPM to get the 37 horse. The John Deere only has 98 Cu. in. but puts out 42 horse at only 2,400 rpms. The John Deere is a much higher performance engine for sure. However, the Kubota has 13% more displacement. Bigger displacement is important for a diesel. Im not sure what one I would pick. I have a Kubota 21 horse . It is a B7510, I have 999 hrs on it. It has been used very hard . One reason is cause it is too small for what I use it for. I cut grass with 60" mower and when it is heavy grass in the spring , it bogs a bit and also when I move heavy snow. Very tough tractor and was in the shop one time when it was new . Had it for 15 yrs.
Originally Posted by ihookem
The Kubota engine is 111 cu. in and puts out 37 horse but needs 2,700 RPM to get the 37 horse. The John Deere only has 98 Cu. in. but puts out 42 horse at only 2,400 rpms. The John Deere is a much higher performance engine for sure. However, the Kubota has 13% more displacement. Bigger displacement is important for a diesel. Im not sure what one I would pick. I have a Kubota 21 horse . It is a B7510, I have 999 hrs on it. It has been used very hard . One reason is cause it is too small for what I use it for. I cut grass with 60" mower and when it is heavy grass in the spring , it bogs a bit and also when I move heavy snow. Very tough tractor and was in the shop one time when it was new . Had it for 15 yrs.

Good point on the engine HP @ RPM's.

Another thing to check is what RPM's are needed to run a 540 PTO at speed.

My brother's JD is at 2500 engine RPM's.
Posted By: Lennie Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
all things otherwise equal, I would buy the one made in the USA.

John Deere tractors in this size are made overseas (and in some cases by a non Deere factory and painted green) and imported and it has been that way for years.
Posted By: MM879 Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
I think that I would take a close look at the Kubota. I have a JD 1435 and it has some engineering issues you wouldn't expect on a high priced equipment. The fuel system on the diesel engine is a cheap gasoline lawn mower type. The fuel system works, but it is fragile for a diesel engine. JD credit treated me like a dog when I bought the unit. I assumed a standing loan and they would not except cash for an answer. They forced the sale into default before they qualified me for assumption. It took a legal threat to complete the deal.
Posted By: Lennie Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by MLC
Thanks to everybody for great information. As of now kind of leaning towards the Kubota. I’m going to decide tomorrow.

Good idea. The majority of tractors now sold in this power range are orange, blue or red. Kubota has done very well in this power range.
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by MLC

I am not that familiar with a 3043D but I would take a 3039R over an L3901 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I bought a tractor last year and am so glad I got the loader. Beyond that, I will say buy the dealer as much as you buy the tractor. That's what I did when I went with Mahindra.

For sure. A friend of mine bought a Mahindra. At the time, the nearest dealer was 200 miles away. It was a good tractor and a good dealer but when he needed some warranty work, he had to haul it 200 miles and go back to get it a few days later. 800 miles for a leaky hydraulic box.

BTW, we're in so. central Idaho. He bought it in Oregon because there's no sales tax. It saved him $1500.
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Originally Posted by MLC

I am not that familiar with a 3043D but I would take a 3039R over an L3901 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Is the reason a secret?
Posted By: JeffyD Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
I owned a Kubota for 27 years. Aside from normal maintenance (oil, trans. fluid, filters, belts, battery, and such), never a problem of any kind.
Oh, yeah, did have to replace the ignition switch once. Reason I sold it: divorce.
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by MLC

Have you listened to them both running at high rpm? The Kubota I have seen shreek.

But more critically, the ergonmics of the left-right brakes and the forward reverse treadle make it difficult, if not impossible to use the brakes independently while backing or even in going forward. And then there is the clutch for the PTO. I'm not exactly sure how it functions, but with a Deere, it is all automated.

The brakes are/were a deal killer for me. And I don't like wearing ear protection on a tractor either. The Kubota 3901L that I tried required it.
Posted By: M16 Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
I've owned both Deere and Kubota. I wouldn't buy a Deere under 100HP. What a piece of [bleep]. Love my Kubota.
Originally Posted by M16
I've owned both Deere and Kubota. I wouldn't buy a Deere under 100HP. What a piece of [bleep]. Love my Kubota.

Pretty much what my tractor mechanic said.
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Never had a Deere but bought a Kubota MX5800 with a 4 in 1 bucket, one set of rear remotes, Bush hog, spreader, disc. It’s fit my needs perfectly including pulling a heavy no till drill for food plots.
Posted By: ERK Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/22/20
Kubota hands down. Ed k
I use my FEL more than any other implement. I wouldn’t buy a tractor without one.
I have a Kubota and it’s been flawless.
I just bought a new Kubota BX subcompact with loader, mower, tiller and box blade last week. Works great, mowed 3 acres and tilled the garden. Used the loader and bb to level an area we tore out an old septic system from. The tranny housing on kubota is steel, JD was aluminum. Honestly you'll enjoy both but definitely get the loader. My boy wants to use the damn thing to carry in groceries!
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/23/20
I don't own a tractor. I live in farm country. Hill and rowcrop. Have good friends that farm. JD all the way if nothing other than resale value. My best friend just traded his Kubota for a JD. He says the smoothness of the hydraulics and the ease of use is much better with JD. He was a JD guy that tried Kubota. To him JD is head and shoulders better. Wifes family farms. Nothing but JD.
Posted By: tx270 Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by ihookem

Good point on the engine HP @ RPM's.

Another thing to check is what RPM's are needed to run a 540 PTO at speed.

My brother's JD is at 2500 engine RPM's.

But the JD is a turbo engine and the Kubota is not. Turbos make a HUGE difference in diesel engines, even more so than displacement (within reason of course)
Posted By: funshooter Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/23/20
One thing you need to know about getting a Tractor is.
There is an endless list of things that you can do with one. They are like a Swiss army knife.
Attachment after attachment they are addictive machines
I ordered mine withe the Front quick attach Loader and the Backhoe.
I have Built an Front Boom that I can add extensions on so if I wanted to I can ck up the back of the tractor by pushing down on the front boom if I wanted to(I will never do it but I could) I now have the front Forks and a Box Blade.
I would like a Tiller attachment , Rear Blade , Rear Rack ,Pellet Spreader, front Auger and about a dozen other things.
My List just keeps growing.
I do not have to work on it every day so it has not got old for me. It is a Very Useful tool that makes me think of it as a giant Toy to play with.
I am very happy that I upgraded to the model I did.
I was looking at the L3900 , L4701 and the MX4800.
After I ordered the MX4800 I had a change of mind and changed it to the MX5800.
I have 36 acres of Ceder trees and Pinion Pine in Arizona and the MX fits perfectly for my use.
you really need to look into your future use as well because a Tractor for some is a long term investment and your uses may grow and shrink over the years.
I do not like the noise coming out of my MX at PTO Speeds but with the Extra HP I have I operate it at a lower RPM until I need to kick it into gear to speak and seed my work up.
I have not needed more HP but I have needed more Lard in the Arss Weight can be your friend sometimes like for Backhoe work plenty of Power but not enough Weight at times to hod the back end down in real rocky ground.
I pulled up boulders in sand that probably weighed 1000#s or better with the backhoe. It impressed me big time with what it was doing at the time I needed it.
So look in to the future a bit and it may help you with the decision
Good Luck with what you choose and then enjoy having an Adult Toy to play with.
Posted By: MikeJinVT Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/23/20
My 2019 Kubota L3901 is sitting waiting for the dealer to come get it for service. It is throwing 4 error codes and stalling out frequently. This has been used lightly with a little over 100 hours on it. I believe that there are to many electronic sensors on this. My previous Kubota was bulletproof. I love the power and size of my tractor but it is frustrating me.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/23/20
New tractors suck.
Posted By: hanco Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/23/20
I’m glad mine is an older model.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/23/20
Hanco, let me reword that please.

Sensors going off for no good reason suck!

2 years ago I bought a used one owner JD tractor. 2001 model with 5500 hours on it.

700 hours later zero issues.

Knock on wood!
Posted By: TwoTrax Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/23/20
Get the loader. Both great machines. I have owned 3 Deere tractors under 50 HP, currently have a 4700 (48 HP), and 790 (30 HP), 1100 hours on the 4700 and 725 on the 790. Both have provided excellent service. Never owned a Kubota tractor but have 3 of their engines on other pieces of equipment, no troubles with them either.

NOT a fan of tier 4 emission diesel engines. I would likely look for a clean pre-emission unit. Deere enjoys the best resale value. Nothing wrong with the older Ford/New Holland units that were made by Shibaura, current ones are rebadged LS models.
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/23/20
Always, always , always get a loader if you only have one tractor. You can't imagine the uses and needs you didn't know you had for a loader until you get one....

Get the loader!

Can’t add to what’s already been stated.
Posted By: uturn Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/23/20
MY J D HAD ALUMIUN REAR AXEL HOUSING NOTHING BUT TROUBLE
Posted By: Redneck Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by MLC
Deere.... That extra HP will come in handy, trust me...
Posted By: stevevan1 Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/23/20
I'm an X John Deere fan. I had 2 JD tractors that I purchased new. They both spent more time getting repaired than working. These were both 4x4 Diesels in the 40 HP range. They were not well built and JD's service/warranty was terrible. Switched to Mahindra and am now very pleased. Build like a tank and designed to actually work! After my dealings with JD I will never(!) purchase anything painted JD Green.
Posted By: elkaddict Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/23/20
I can’t add a lot more to the solid advice you’ve been given. I will add that mass matters more than HP, and useable low end power is more important than higher peak HP. I would always err on getting a size or two bigger than you think you’ll need. FEL and FWD are mandatory IMO. I work 17 acres of plots and numerous chores on 200 acres of hardwoods. I started with a 54HP open cab MF and have since added a larger cabbed tractor with a third remote to run a grapple. I’d have saved $ in the long run if I’d followed sage advice early on. I didn’t go orange or green because of price and distance to the dealer. I looked real hard at orange when I upgraded but wanted a much heavier tractor than Kubota offered. Ended up with a MF 4707. I looked hard at older used tractors and around here, the prices are so high, I felt compelled to go new.
Posted By: cfran Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by elkaddict
I can’t add a lot more to the solid advice you’ve been given. I will add that mass matters more than HP, and useable low end power is more important than higher peak HP. I would always err on getting a size or two bigger than you think you’ll need. FEL and FWD are mandatory IMO. I work 17 acres of plots and numerous chores on 200 acres of hardwoods. I started with a 54HP open cab MF and have since added a larger cabbed tractor with a third remote to run a grapple. I’d have saved $ in the long run if I’d followed sage advice early on. I didn’t go orange or green because of price and distance to the dealer. I looked real hard at orange when I upgraded but wanted a much heavier tractor than Kubota offered. Ended up with a MF 4707. I looked hard at older used tractors and around here, the prices are so high, I felt compelled to go new.

Right on the money, and your current rig is another few frame sizes larger and likely an 8,000 pound tractor. Mass does matter.

My 4520 at 60hp has more power than I can use as it’s about 5k with FEL. I will be adding rear weights, etc.

Size to me is important, would love a 4707 like you have but would struggle to use it in my tucked away woods foodplots.

If OP goes with FEL, watch the cheap JD’s as they don’t always have removable FEL’s. Kubota always does, a nice plus.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by stevevan1
I'm an X John Deere fan. I had 2 JD tractors that I purchased new. They both spent more time getting repaired than working. These were both 4x4 Diesels in the 40 HP range. They were not well built and JD's service/warranty was terrible. Switched to Mahindra and am now very pleased. Build like a tank and designed to actually work! After my dealings with JD I will never(!) purchase anything painted JD Green.

Mahindra's the world's largest maker of small tractors. They have a world wide reputation for being reliable. They're getting a pretty good lineup of dealers in the US now, too. They've been in production for 60 years and they have several plants in the US. They started as a joint venture with IH.

On a related note - have you ever wondered why Jeep never made a CJ4? They did but they never put it in production in the US. Instead, they sold the rights to Mahindra and they made hundreds of thousands of them, named the Mahindra Jeep. Then Jeep came out with the CJ5.
Posted By: CaptDrew Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/23/20
Tx270 a group of us are coming down to Colorado from Michigan for 3rd Season Mule deer in zones 80-81...we saw a old post of yours from this site about those zones? Any more recent info on the area? I Just joined this forum so it wouldn’t let me PM you...Thanks Andrew
Posted By: MLC Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/25/20
Well I bought the John Deere 3043D. Really like the controls set up. No buttons to push or turn everything has a mechanical lever. A little heaver machine and little more horse power. Dealer is 30 miles away. Talk to the service manger and he was really helpful. Answered all my questions and gave some good tips on maintaining it. This is the first new tractor I have owned so I ask him about the regeneration system and he said the key to it is not to idle the tractor like the old ones. He said if you keep the rpm’s above 1600 you will not have any problems. I’m really impressed with the power as I did some box blade and bucket work with it. I thought I was going notice a lot of difference in power from my old ford 3600 but it surprised me. Don’t know if my old 3600 was just that wore out but this one seems to have more power. Time will tell but I’m happy with right now.
Posted By: kenacp Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/25/20
MLC- Which dealership are you using?
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/25/20
Congrats on your new tractor!
Posted By: okie Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/25/20
Originally Posted by SamOlson
New tractors suck.

^^^^This^^^^

I am sticking with my two 40 year old Deere's....
Posted By: MLC Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/25/20

Originally Posted by kenacp
MLC- Which dealership are you using?

Sunsouth
Posted By: muleshoe Re: John Deere or Kubota - 04/25/20
When in doubt, go green.
© 24hourcampfire