Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by MLC
Thanks to everybody for great information. As of now kind of leaning towards the Kubota. I’m going to decide tomorrow.

Good idea. The majority of tractors now sold in this power range are orange, blue or red. Kubota has done very well in this power range.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB4

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by MLC
Looking for opinions on buying a new tractor. I have narrowed it down to the John Deere 3043D or the Kubota L3901 both 4WD with the front end loader and both gear shift which is what I want. I got a quote on both of them and they are writhin $200. The John Deere is 43 HP and the Kubota 37.5 HP. I only have 20 acres and bush hog about 8 and grade a couple of roads and do some discing for a garden. Both are offering 0% financing 60 months. I'm kind of leaning toward the John Deere because about everything on it is mechanical and not a whole lot of electronic stuff and a little more H.P. and just a little bit heavier. I have always had an used tractor and just tried of working on it every year. I have never had a front end loader but everybody tells me if I buy a new one get it. What do you think?

I am not that familiar with a 3043D but I would take a 3039R over an L3901 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I bought a tractor last year and am so glad I got the loader. Beyond that, I will say buy the dealer as much as you buy the tractor. That's what I did when I went with Mahindra.

For sure. A friend of mine bought a Mahindra. At the time, the nearest dealer was 200 miles away. It was a good tractor and a good dealer but when he needed some warranty work, he had to haul it 200 miles and go back to get it a few days later. 800 miles for a leaky hydraulic box.

BTW, we're in so. central Idaho. He bought it in Oregon because there's no sales tax. It saved him $1500.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Originally Posted by MLC
Looking for opinions on buying a new tractor. I have narrowed it down to the John Deere 3043D or the Kubota L3901 both 4WD with the front end loader and both gear shift which is what I want. I got a quote on both of them and they are writhin $200. The John Deere is 43 HP and the Kubota 37.5 HP. I only have 20 acres and bush hog about 8 and grade a couple of roads and do some discing for a garden. Both are offering 0% financing 60 months. I'm kind of leaning toward the John Deere because about everything on it is mechanical and not a whole lot of electronic stuff and a little more H.P. and just a little bit heavier. I have always had an used tractor and just tried of working on it every year. I have never had a front end loader but everybody tells me if I buy a new one get it. What do you think?

I am not that familiar with a 3043D but I would take a 3039R over an L3901 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Is the reason a secret?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I owned a Kubota for 27 years. Aside from normal maintenance (oil, trans. fluid, filters, belts, battery, and such), never a problem of any kind.
Oh, yeah, did have to replace the ignition switch once. Reason I sold it: divorce.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by MLC
Thanks to everybody for great information. As of now kind of leaning towards the Kubota. I’m going to decide tomorrow.

Have you listened to them both running at high rpm? The Kubota I have seen shreek.

But more critically, the ergonmics of the left-right brakes and the forward reverse treadle make it difficult, if not impossible to use the brakes independently while backing or even in going forward. And then there is the clutch for the PTO. I'm not exactly sure how it functions, but with a Deere, it is all automated.

The brakes are/were a deal killer for me. And I don't like wearing ear protection on a tractor either. The Kubota 3901L that I tried required it.

M
M16 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've owned both Deere and Kubota. I wouldn't buy a Deere under 100HP. What a piece of [bleep]. Love my Kubota.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by M16
I've owned both Deere and Kubota. I wouldn't buy a Deere under 100HP. What a piece of [bleep]. Love my Kubota.

Pretty much what my tractor mechanic said.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Never had a Deere but bought a Kubota MX5800 with a 4 in 1 bucket, one set of rear remotes, Bush hog, spreader, disc. It’s fit my needs perfectly including pulling a heavy no till drill for food plots.

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Kubota hands down. Ed k

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I use my FEL more than any other implement. I wouldn’t buy a tractor without one.
I have a Kubota and it’s been flawless.

Buy once, cry once.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I just bought a new Kubota BX subcompact with loader, mower, tiller and box blade last week. Works great, mowed 3 acres and tilled the garden. Used the loader and bb to level an area we tore out an old septic system from. The tranny housing on kubota is steel, JD was aluminum. Honestly you'll enjoy both but definitely get the loader. My boy wants to use the damn thing to carry in groceries!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I don't own a tractor. I live in farm country. Hill and rowcrop. Have good friends that farm. JD all the way if nothing other than resale value. My best friend just traded his Kubota for a JD. He says the smoothness of the hydraulics and the ease of use is much better with JD. He was a JD guy that tried Kubota. To him JD is head and shoulders better. Wifes family farms. Nothing but JD.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by ihookem
The Kubota engine is 111 cu. in and puts out 37 horse but needs 2,700 RPM to get the 37 horse. The John Deere only has 98 Cu. in. but puts out 42 horse at only 2,400 rpms. The John Deere is a much higher performance engine for sure. However, the Kubota has 13% more displacement. Bigger displacement is important for a diesel. Im not sure what one I would pick. I have a Kubota 21 horse . It is a B7510, I have 999 hrs on it. It has been used very hard . One reason is cause it is too small for what I use it for. I cut grass with 60" mower and when it is heavy grass in the spring , it bogs a bit and also when I move heavy snow. Very tough tractor and was in the shop one time when it was new . Had it for 15 yrs.

Good point on the engine HP @ RPM's.

Another thing to check is what RPM's are needed to run a 540 PTO at speed.

My brother's JD is at 2500 engine RPM's.

But the JD is a turbo engine and the Kubota is not. Turbos make a HUGE difference in diesel engines, even more so than displacement (within reason of course)

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
One thing you need to know about getting a Tractor is.
There is an endless list of things that you can do with one. They are like a Swiss army knife.
Attachment after attachment they are addictive machines
I ordered mine withe the Front quick attach Loader and the Backhoe.
I have Built an Front Boom that I can add extensions on so if I wanted to I can ck up the back of the tractor by pushing down on the front boom if I wanted to(I will never do it but I could) I now have the front Forks and a Box Blade.
I would like a Tiller attachment , Rear Blade , Rear Rack ,Pellet Spreader, front Auger and about a dozen other things.
My List just keeps growing.
I do not have to work on it every day so it has not got old for me. It is a Very Useful tool that makes me think of it as a giant Toy to play with.
I am very happy that I upgraded to the model I did.
I was looking at the L3900 , L4701 and the MX4800.
After I ordered the MX4800 I had a change of mind and changed it to the MX5800.
I have 36 acres of Ceder trees and Pinion Pine in Arizona and the MX fits perfectly for my use.
you really need to look into your future use as well because a Tractor for some is a long term investment and your uses may grow and shrink over the years.
I do not like the noise coming out of my MX at PTO Speeds but with the Extra HP I have I operate it at a lower RPM until I need to kick it into gear to speak and seed my work up.
I have not needed more HP but I have needed more Lard in the Arss Weight can be your friend sometimes like for Backhoe work plenty of Power but not enough Weight at times to hod the back end down in real rocky ground.
I pulled up boulders in sand that probably weighed 1000#s or better with the backhoe. It impressed me big time with what it was doing at the time I needed it.
So look in to the future a bit and it may help you with the decision
Good Luck with what you choose and then enjoy having an Adult Toy to play with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 2019 Kubota L3901 is sitting waiting for the dealer to come get it for service. It is throwing 4 error codes and stalling out frequently. This has been used lightly with a little over 100 hours on it. I believe that there are to many electronic sensors on this. My previous Kubota was bulletproof. I love the power and size of my tractor but it is frustrating me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
New tractors suck.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m glad mine is an older model.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hanco, let me reword that please.

Sensors going off for no good reason suck!

2 years ago I bought a used one owner JD tractor. 2001 model with 5500 hours on it.

700 hours later zero issues.

Knock on wood!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Get the loader. Both great machines. I have owned 3 Deere tractors under 50 HP, currently have a 4700 (48 HP), and 790 (30 HP), 1100 hours on the 4700 and 725 on the 790. Both have provided excellent service. Never owned a Kubota tractor but have 3 of their engines on other pieces of equipment, no troubles with them either.

NOT a fan of tier 4 emission diesel engines. I would likely look for a clean pre-emission unit. Deere enjoys the best resale value. Nothing wrong with the older Ford/New Holland units that were made by Shibaura, current ones are rebadged LS models.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (12savage, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1936M71, 71 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,909
Posts18,479,473
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.